Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Centrist Committee posted:

We probably would have gotten a huge investment in public transit during the pandemic

:confused: how do you figure? public transport of the only number allowed - no, required - to go down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They've had class b shares that are effectively identical but 1500x smaller for a while now.
right, which makes the stubbornness about the class A shares even more ridiculous

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I can't fault anyone for using uber or lyft. Despite the terrible problems, they are filling a need very well. I've been in situations where I've used public transit or failing that,
Taxi services. They both suck poo poo compared to just calling an uber. I used to catch a 5:50 am bus to catch a metro to catch another bus to get to my trade school by 8:15. Then bus/metro to work. If I was late at work I'd be calling people for rides and if not catching a can that would wipe out my whole evening's pay anyway after a 45 minute wait for the cab. Bus don't run after 8, so get hosed me.

Sure these problems can be fixed by modernizing the cab's or beefing up public transit , but america sucks at that stuff. So until then uber is great. Which blows.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

itskage posted:

I can't fault anyone for using uber or lyft. Despite the terrible problems, they are filling a need very well. I've been in situations where I've used public transit or failing that,
Taxi services. They both suck poo poo compared to just calling an uber. I used to catch a 5:50 am bus to catch a metro to catch another bus to get to my trade school by 8:15. Then bus/metro to work. If I was late at work I'd be calling people for rides and if not catching a can that would wipe out my whole evening's pay anyway after a 45 minute wait for the cab. Bus don't run after 8, so get hosed me.

Sure these problems can be fixed by modernizing the cab's or beefing up public transit , but america sucks at that stuff. So until then uber is great. Which blows.

one other important thing about gig driver apps like uber/lyft is that unlike the taxi companies in my city the uber drivers don't try to scam the poo poo out of me every single trip

like, I guess it's technically possible that every cab trip i've gone on since moving here has been plagued with debit machines that only work if you tell the driver you don't carry cash and you're leaving, but that seems like that's the kind of thing that would get fixed after a few years

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

blatman posted:

one other important thing about gig driver apps like uber/lyft is that unlike the taxi companies in my city the uber drivers don't try to scam the poo poo out of me every single trip

The scam happens on the back end where Uber doesn't pay the drivers enough for your ride to make a living wage once you subtract capital costs, gas, and insurance and then loses billions of dollars anyway because they can't stay ahead of the competition while simultaneously paying drivers anything, keeping your fare low enough that you'll actually use the app, and bringing in enough active daily users to keep the dream alive another year. The entire thing is a pyramid scheme predicated on future profitability that will never happen.

But yeah it's convenient.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

When Uber and Lyft left Austin for a while, a bunch of competitors just stepped in without any real disruption. It's just not an industry where you can lock in market share. When (if?) the VC money runs out and they have to raise prices what happens.

They've had class b shares that are effectively identical but 1500x smaller for a while now.

my dad bought 1 B share when they came out in like 1990 something for a couple dollars and hes always bragging that its up like 1250% now.
buy me dinner, dad you old bitch!

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Your dad spent all his gains buying me dinner

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

The Oldest Man posted:

The scam happens on the back end where Uber doesn't pay the drivers enough for your ride to make a living wage once you subtract capital costs, gas, and insurance and then loses billions of dollars anyway because they can't stay ahead of the competition while simultaneously paying drivers anything, keeping your fare low enough that you'll actually use the app, and bringing in enough active daily users to keep the dream alive another year. The entire thing is a pyramid scheme predicated on future profitability that will never happen.

But yeah it's convenient.

What we need are busses and trains going everywhere

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What about the highway to hell

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
What if Uber but the stops were fixed and you could carry like 50 people at a time but also no poor people - some rear end in a top hat in silicon valley approximately every 10 seconds

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the stops are only fixed in the beta, while we develop a solution for on-demand stops

this will require at least 50mm vc funds

launch in "2 years"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

VideoTapir posted:

No.

Y2K response was the digital Montreal Protocol.

In that it actually worked?

silentsnack posted:

look on my number, ye mighty, and lol. for I am a rich rear end in a top hat and I'm taking it with me.

Buffett actually talks a very good game about this, though. He pretty specifically calls out a lot of bullshit, expands on how his wealth has come from being extremely lucky, being born a white man at the right time and the right place to the right people, and societal preferences being grossly warped.

"Warren Buffett - The Giving Pledge"

I would give Buffett comfortable home arrest until a natural death instead of the guillotine. He's already redistributing his wealth and is intent on it being seen through in his will. He's one of the few rich assholes not trying to take it with them, since he's already pretty satisfied with having won capitalism.

tokin opposition posted:

What if Uber but the stops were fixed and you could carry like 50 people at a time but also no poor people - some rear end in a top hat in silicon valley approximately every 10 seconds

But we already have the Google / Facebook / Netflix / etc busses? :confused:

Volmarias has issued a correction as of 21:54 on May 7, 2021

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

itskage posted:

Regular taxi services could easily be run off an app in the same way Uber and Lyft are, case in point Didi in China. It's absolutely bonkers to me that U.S. cab companies didn't start trying to adopt that as soon as Uber started making the rounds.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Gods_Butthole posted:

Regular taxi services could easily be run off an app in the same way Uber and Lyft are, case in point Didi in China. It's absolutely bonkers to me that U.S. cab companies didn't start trying to adopt that as soon as Uber started making the rounds.

Cab companies are probably run like poo poo (and don't have access to hundreds of millions in vc funding.)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Also there are a poo poo-ton of them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

we have taxi apps in denmark, but its been so long i dont remember if theyre any good. back when i went outside, i usuallt just flailed my arms whitely by the curb.

anyway the govt told uber to follow taxi safety regulations and they got all huffy & took their ball and went home, i think some 5 years ago. big loss

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Cab companies are probably run like poo poo (and don't have access to hundreds of millions in vc funding.)

It's a cab hailing app Michael, how much could it cost? $10?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Lyft and Uber both offer me some token option to call a taxi via them

It's always cheaper than any of their options

And there has never been one available

If this is some kind of psyop it's very confused

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Taxi Magic predated Uber. I used the sort of successor of it, Curb, but after a few years of Uber/Lyft it became impossible to get a cab basically. This is in Chicago, where taxi medallions used to cost like well over $100k

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

tokin opposition posted:

Lyft and Uber both offer me some token option to call a taxi via them

It's always cheaper than any of their options

And there has never been one available

If this is some kind of psyop it's very confused

"how do we keep chasing after monopoly market share, but make it look we're legitimately trying not to kill the competition?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Gods_Butthole posted:

They did, actually. There's some NYC ride hailing app that the taxi companies panic started, and it was garbage that wouldn't let you actually hail a cab last time I tried. The big problem is that you've got a whole cornucopia of yellow cab companies, and all they can agree on is the legislated rates for fares.

I very much want to support local taxi services, but if I don't even know what companies are nearby that will dispatch a car, I don't know how I am supposed to do that.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lol that SpaceX blows up rockets on the reg, but a Chinese rocket fuckup is now on the local news.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Way back in the day when I did retail I once had a client that needed a ride somewhere. I called 4 different cab companies before I found one willing to pick them up, and even then they said it would be 2 hours until someone got out there. Cabs are the worst.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nothus posted:

Lol that SpaceX blows up rockets on the reg, but a Chinese rocket fuckup is now on the local news.

yeah sone spacex garbage hit some farm in Washington state last month https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/2/22364582/spacex-rocket-debris-falls-farm-washington

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

silentsnack posted:

look on my number, ye mighty, and lol. for I am a rich rear end in a top hat and I'm taking ityou with me.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Remember back when uber was a "ridesharing" company and it was just a way for people to carpool on demand haha no seriously it's for sharing a ride like if you're both going to the airport shut up shut up dude

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Volmarias posted:

In that it actually worked?

Buffett actually talks a very good game about this, though. He pretty specifically calls out a lot of bullshit, expands on how his wealth has come from being extremely lucky, being born a white man at the right time and the right place to the right people, and societal preferences being grossly warped.

"Warren Buffett - The Giving Pledge"

I would give Buffett comfortable home arrest until a natural death instead of the guillotine. He's already redistributing his wealth and is intent on it being seen through in his will. He's one of the few rich assholes not trying to take it with them, since he's already pretty satisfied with having won capitalism.
:hmmyes:

https://publicintegrity.org/inequality-poverty-opportunity/warren-buffetts-mobile-home-empire-preys-on-the-poor/

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
in spain we have an app now named FREE NOW and you can use it to easily order a cab. it works great; you can use it to pay. you can even book a cab for some time in the future like if you need to get to the airport at 5am or some crap

i have no idea why anyone here would use uber

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57020862

quote:

Coldplay's Chris Martin says that the pandemic has forced him to reassess his relationship with fame.

"Last year was a quite an eye opener," he told BBC Radio 2. "I was like, 'Who am I without Wembley Stadium saying, 'you're awesome'?"

"I'm trying in my life right now to not attach too much to being a pop star. I'm trying not to get my self worth from external validation."

He was speaking as Coldplay unveiled their new single, Higher Power.

They premiered the 80s-inspired pop song on board the International Space Station overnight - teaming up with French astronaut Thomas Pesquet, who beamed the music back to Earth by satellite.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

my friend called an Uber to take him home from my house last night. got this 10 mins later…

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

smellmycheese posted:

my friend called an Uber to take him home from my house last night. got this 10 mins later…

lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this feels like it should be illegal

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

smellmycheese posted:

I had exactly this experience except in Seattle. Thought I was going to die while the driver ranted about how he has road rage and speeding up while trusting the car to brake

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The one thing that is useful about these apps is the ability to see where the car is.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

exmachina posted:

The one thing that is useful about these apps is the ability to see where the car is.

That and paying with a credit card in the app without having to worry about having enough cash to cover the tip. It took Uber to force regular cabs to do that.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

they also show up approximately on time

the only reason uber/lyft exist is because united states taxis are absolute dogshit

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
My old car rusted out too badly and I can't really afford anything atm, so I have to get a taxi/uber/lyft anytime I can't carpool to work. The taxi service here has gotten better lately and they have a functional app now, but unless it's like, 3AM 95% of the time I'll be waiting about 10 minutes for lyft or about 25-30 for the taxi.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:negative:

gently caress, I just want to have someone I can point at and say "they're not a total piece of poo poo", it seems like such a straightforward thing to request. Is there anyone who isn't Fred Rogers (don't your loving dare tell me about anything bad he might have done I cannot handle that right now) or Tom Hanks who I may have heard of and who isn't loving garbage?

goatsestretchgoals posted:

they also show up approximately on time

the only reason uber/lyft exist is because united states taxis are absolute dogshit

Yes this too, though the local taxi service in the last town I lived was actually very good about this although the cabs were clearly Lovingly Used crown vics.

Volmarias has issued a correction as of 01:34 on May 9, 2021

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Volmarias posted:

gently caress, I just want to have someone I can point at and say "they're not a total piece of poo poo", it seems like such a straightforward thing to request. Is there anyone who isn't Fred Rogers (don't your loving dare tell me about anything bad he might have done I cannot handle that right now) or Tom Hanks who I may have heard of and who isn't loving garbage?

Bob Ross? unless you count inventing ASMR recordings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Volmarias posted:

:ssh:
the only way to become a billionaire is to steal from hundreds of thousands of people