Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mayveena posted:

Uh board gamers don't cook, doncha know! Send out for Pizza delivery :)

My wife was making cooking/baking youtubes for awhile, and wanted some nice prep bowls. So, 12 pack of those bowls later, six for boardgames, six for cooking :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ravendas posted:

My wife was making cooking/baking youtubes for awhile, and wanted some nice prep bowls. So, 12 pack of those bowls later, six for boardgames, six for cooking :)

I did the same except I got the 18 pack of 4in since it was inexplicably cheaper than the 12-pack of 3.5in

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Maigius posted:

Sort of related to the camping games, I'm having a semi-destination wedding (about an hour away) and was looking for a good game to give those relatives staying overnight. It should be easy to pick up without someone teaching it, able to be played at the hotel, and relatively cheap < $15. Mom's first idea was travel Jenga, but that feels like it might be hard to play at a hotel.

Less than $15 is sort of a tall order for decent games, but here are some ideas of very popular and cheap games, followed by some extremely hastily written marketing copy:

Love Letter is $12. It plays 2-4 players. It's a deduction game about trying to get your romantic missive to the Princess. (There used to be a wedding themed version but it's out of print.) Your turns are spent drawing a single card, and playing a single card between the one you hold, and the one you just drew. They have abilities, like trying to guess what is in your opponents hand, make them discard cards, protect yourself and so on. You are trying to avoid getting eliminated, but also trying to have the highest valued card by the end of the round. It is a classic, very sharp, very simple, a great stepping stone to get people into the hobby. This is the one most easily played without a table, regarding your hotel question. Here's a YouTube video about how to play Love Letter.

The Crew is $15. It plays 2-5 players. You and your space crew are conducting missions into early space exploration to the ninth planet. (Sorry, Pluto) It is trick taking game (like Hearts or something) except that it is cooperative. Everyone wins together or loses together. This is done with certain tasks, like "player X must win the green 5" or something. Players can't talk about what is in their hands, so they have to figure out what's best. It has many missions that vary to add lots of variety. I've only played it online since it came out around quarentimes, but it's terrific. The downside is that it's much more complicated than the other two games I'm suggesting, but if these people know trick taking, they will have a leg up. Here's a YouTube video about how to play The Crew.

If The Crew is too hard, let me add an Honorable Mention: The Mind is $11-13 or so The game is an experiment in ESP. It is a deck of numbered cards, 1 to 100. Each round you are given a number of cards equal to the round number. The goal for the game is to play the cards in ascending numerical order. Sounds easy? Well, during the course of play, players may not communicate. So you just have to try and intuit and feel out how it's going. It may sound silly, or that you could just count in your head, but it is nowhere near that simple. This game is gripping if you let yourself get into it. The only downside here is it needs a table more than any of the other games, for those moments where you're trying to slam down that 21 before they can slam down that 22. I still think creative people could manage it, though. Here's a YouTube video about how to play The Mind.

Codenames is normally $20 but it's listed as under 15 on Target so I'm counting it. It's best between 4-8 players (the box lies and says it can play 2-3) Two competing spy agencies are trying to give their teams the secret names of their embedded agents, but they have to be secretive about it. It's a word game that is so elegant, you can't believe it wasn't invented before now. Both teams share a set of 25 words, and two players are trying to each get their team to pick the correct words for their own side. They do this by making a word association. For instance, to get my team to guess Eight and Sail, I might say "Pirate: 2" I was thinking of pieces of eight and setting sail. However, if there was "Software" on the board, they may pick that by mistake. If that happens, it might be for the other team, or it might even be the assassin and we instantly lose! This game was a phenomenon, and with good reason. It is fun, it is charming, it is clever, you can talk trash to the other team and your friends if you like. It is literally my favorite game, though I have played it to absolute death. It also has a Codenames Pictures version (which I have not played) if your friends are more visual and less verbal, and a 2-player version called Codenames Duet which might be even better than the original. The only downside is it would be very hard to play without something like a table, because you have to lay out a tableau of cards. Still, if you have even a square foot of space, you can make it work. Here's a YouTube video about how to play Codenames.

I wish you success in your attempt to coax your wedding party into the board gaming habit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Seconding codenames and love letter as ideal for your purpose

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I'm gonna suggest qwirkle for that. It's a definite step up from the basic board games people know, but it takes a familiar and comfortable form. There's also a travel-size version that comes in a pouch!

And you can use the tiles in it to play Skull.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
We thought code names: marvel could be fun.

It can't.

everything has overlap, it's just impossible!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Maigius posted:

Sort of related to the camping games, I'm having a semi-destination wedding (about an hour away) and was looking for a good game to give those relatives staying overnight. It should be easy to pick up without someone teaching it, able to be played at the hotel, and relatively cheap < $15. Mom's first idea was travel Jenga, but that feels like it might be hard to play at a hotel.

Rack-O

I'm not even joking, that game is fun.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Ooh, I'm always on the lookout for games that can be played with the games I already have. A Mind deck and some card holders should handle it fine. Looks fun, thanks!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Skull looks like it’s usually $20 but it’s legitimately a great game. Maybe it’s because I’m a poker player but I think it holds together really well.

I’ve always been curious about game-theory-optimal Skull play, but I’m worried it would ruin the game to know it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

enigmahfc posted:

Rack-O

I'm not even joking, that game is fun.

I have enjoyed Rack-O too, but after playing Lost Cities (online, still haven't in person) I don't think I could go back.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

nrook posted:

Skull looks like it’s usually $20 but it’s legitimately a great game. Maybe it’s because I’m a poker player but I think it holds together really well.

I’ve always been curious about game-theory-optimal Skull play, but I’m worried it would ruin the game to know it.

Skull is the best $10 I’ve spent on a game. It’s easy to teach and an instant crowd pleaser.

I also realized years later, after teaching dozens of people, that apparently you’re allowed to pass if a bet comes to you. To hell with that! Either raise or call the bluff. Passing is nonsense.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

!Klams posted:

We thought code names: marvel could be fun.

It can't.

everything has overlap, it's just impossible!

Codey, a game with a careful selection of words both disparate and connected enough, did so well it got tens of branded copies where all of the words are connected to whatever media property.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Aggro posted:

Skull is the best $10 I’ve spent on a game. It’s easy to teach and an instant crowd pleaser.

I also realized years later, after teaching dozens of people, that apparently you’re allowed to pass if a bet comes to you. To hell with that! Either raise or call the bluff. Passing is nonsense.

What? Passing is calling the bluff. That's you saying I'm not raising, show me. What game are you playing?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Maigius posted:

Sushi Go Party!

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Glagha posted:

What? Passing is calling the bluff. That's you saying I'm not raising, show me. What game are you playing?

Passing just pushes it to the next player and allows them to raise or call. If everyone passes, then the player who made the bet has to start flipping.

So in a five person game:
Player 1: 3 skulls
Player 2: 4 skulls
Player 3: PASS
Player 4: 5 skulls
Player 5: 6 skulls
Player 1: PASS
Player 2: PASS
Player 4: PASS

And now Player 5 has to flip. This seems like a
Much less fun way to play, because forcing Player 3 to either raise or call is a much more interesting choice than being able to pass.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Aggro posted:

Passing just pushes it to the next player and allows them to raise or call. If everyone passes, then the player who made the bet has to start flipping.

Much less fun way to play, because forcing Player 3 to either raise or call is a much more interesting choice than being able to pass.

I'm aware of how the game is played, I'm saying the way you said the first time sounds insane. Like what do you mean by "call" in this case? Player 3 says they don't have it and 2 flips immediately no one else gets to try to outbid? That makes zero sense, how is that more interesting to make basically the same decision but you cut out all the other players at the table?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Aggro posted:

Do you think player 1 in your example passing is less interesting? Pass is like checking in poker, you’re good with your position and don’t feel the need to increase your risk. Knowing when to pass a bad bet and when to call it yourself is important.

If you want to play the game where the onus is always on the next player, that’s Liar’s Dice (in most rulesets i’ve seen). It makes for a different game and a talented player can knockout the people next to them with good bets and calls.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Aggro posted:

After you pass, you’re out of the round. In your scenario, Player 3 would not act again after having passed the first time around.

I’m not sure what you mean by “call”? I was under the impression there were only two moves available once the bidding has started: Either Raise the previous bid, or Pass (and leave the round).

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

We’ve essentially been playing it like single hand Liar’s Dice, so rather than the table passing, someone has to challenge the challenger, so to speak. The penalty for a failed challenge is losing one of your cards.

Looking over the rules now, this isn’t how the game is played at all. Whoops.

It still works, at least. And the games move quickly, especially at higher numbers. It often leads to situations where someone has to reluctantly challenge because raising to a higher number is even riskier.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 5, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Good thing the game isn’t called “skill!”

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Aggro posted:

We’ve essentially been playing it like single hand Liar’s Dice, so rather than the table passing, someone has to challenge the challenger, so to speak. The penalty for a failed challenge is losing one of your cards.

Looking over the rules now, this isn’t how the game is played at all. Whoops.

It still works, at least. And the games move quickly, especially at higher numbers. It often leads to situations where someone has to reluctantly challenge because raising to a higher number is even riskier.

If you want to preserve the same feel, just make it so anyone can bid in an open auction after the initial bid.

The problem with your current method is that the game is then very seating order dependant.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I walked into a board game store and bought Brass: Birmingham. This box is beautiful.

Excellent impulse purchase

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Got to play Hallertau tonight. It's got very identifiable DNA from other Rosenberg games but I quite enjoyed it for its own merits. Played 2-player, so now I really want to try the full 4 so that the worker clearing "economy" is fully player driven and not random.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Final Oath vid is live with chapters for easy ref

https://youtu.be/X8jsE-AY-6A

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

pbpancho posted:

Got to play Hallertau tonight. It's got very identifiable DNA from other Rosenberg games but I quite enjoyed it for its own merits. Played 2-player, so now I really want to try the full 4 so that the worker clearing "economy" is fully player driven and not random.

I played it 2p once and found it acceptable-but-not-great. I want to see what it's like with more players, for the same reason as you.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Final Oath vid is live with chapters for easy ref

https://youtu.be/X8jsE-AY-6A

Your mic was low and due to me being hard of hearing it was difficult to understand what you were saying sadly. I would say I understand about 80% of the YT I watch but the people do have to enunciate well and have microphones that pick that up.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

homullus posted:

I played it 2p once and found it acceptable-but-not-great. I want to see what it's like with more players, for the same reason as you.

I love Hallertau. It's my second favorite Uwe next to Ora et Labora. Has way better cards than AFfO.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mayveena posted:

Your mic was low and due to me being hard of hearing it was difficult to understand what you were saying sadly. I would say I understand about 80% of the YT I watch but the people do have to enunciate well and have microphones that pick that up.

Sorry to hear that, the closed captions are accurate from what I’ve seen if that helps.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Sorry to hear that, the closed captions are accurate from what I’ve seen if that helps.

OK thanks, I'll try it with the closed captions. I gave you a Like anyway :)

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I was going to ask which one of you was in this video, but I didn't see a single COIN game in this library.

https://twitter.com/RichardHanania/status/1390750569912954880?s=19

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Stargate Project 2.0 going to use Decrypto

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My friend's gift of Mage Knight is here! I'll be playing it solo. Any tips for a first time?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

LifeLynx posted:

My friend's gift of Mage Knight is here! I'll be playing it solo. Any tips for a first time?

Don't forget you have to pay the movement cost to move into a city when attacking it. That's the one rule I always screw up.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

ice block blocks fire. fire block blocks ice. Ranged attack is really, really good.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Ricky Royal's video playthroughs were very helpful for me for Mage Knight

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

LifeLynx posted:

Watch Paul Grogan's how to play video, then watch it again. You will still have to look things up in the rulebook and you will still make mistakes. Roll with the punches, it's an awesome game

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Are there any games out there sort of like Iron Rails/Irish Gauge that have some of those 18xx principles distilled down to a simpler ruleset but are playable with just two people? I realize the answer could just be "no, because the whole investing/dividend mechanic stuff isn't very interesting at 2 people" but I would like to find something like that to play with the gf. I saw that there's a Ticket to Ride expansion - UK/Pennsylvania - that involves some share purchasing or something similar to that but it seems to be completely out of stock.

And I'm not necessarily stuck on it being about trains, I think it's mostly the buying/selling of stocks or shares and whatever else that I'm interested in. Like City of the Big Shoulders would be fine too except for the level of complexity I'm looking for. I can sell her on anything that has a one page rulebook! 50 pages not so much...

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
You basically answered yourself there, unfortunately. TTR PA is pretty good, but the shares are really just a majority scoring thing, and I'm not sure if it's any good at 2p. Stephenson's Rocket is another cube rails-esque game that is great at 2p, if extremely different than the higher player counts, but the shares there are a bit more fluid than just scoring.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

[quote="untzthatshit" post="514623340"]Are there any games out there sort of like Iron Rails/Irish Gauge that have some of those 18xx principles distilled down to a simpler ruleset but are playable with just two people? [quote]

Airlines Europe wouldn't be the worst at two players. Not sure on availability though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

untzthatshit posted:

Are there any games out there sort of like Iron Rails/Irish Gauge that have some of those 18xx principles distilled down to a simpler ruleset but are playable with just two people? I realize the answer could just be "no, because the whole investing/dividend mechanic stuff isn't very interesting at 2 people" but I would like to find something like that to play with the gf. I saw that there's a Ticket to Ride expansion - UK/Pennsylvania - that involves some share purchasing or something similar to that but it seems to be completely out of stock.

And I'm not necessarily stuck on it being about trains, I think it's mostly the buying/selling of stocks or shares and whatever else that I'm interested in. Like City of the Big Shoulders would be fine too except for the level of complexity I'm looking for. I can sell her on anything that has a one page rulebook! 50 pages not so much...

I know it seems like you're trying to get away from the more complicated 18xx games BUT... you could always take a crack at learning something like 1889 via 18xx.games? The rules overhead is honestly so so low that once you get over the initial hurdle you don't have to think twice about it and while it isn't primo at 2, it's quite playable and can lead to some amusing zero-sum situations. The reprint will be coming soonish too so you can see if you want to back it but considering how incredible his most recent project is, it's an insta-back from me.

We play it and the 2p variant for 1846 fairly frequently and even if I am not good at '46 and have trouble following what's going on at times, we can finish a game in an hour or so quite easily.