Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kreeblah posted:

Actually, it's kinda funny, but I just got an offer this morning from a different lender that I'd been talking to with pretty much the same offer, but at 2.625%. I'll have to take another hard pull to lock it in, but that's fine. I've actually never stopped a refinance right after a rate lock before, but I'm like 99% sure I can do it penalty-free this early on (hours after locking with the first lender), especially since everybody's been willing to waive appraisals.

If you want to do what I did, the big thing is to get quotes (don't let them run your credit, but have them send you formal quotes based on your info that they'll confirm later with a credit check) from a shitload of lenders (let them all know that you're talking to multiple lenders), find the best one, and use that to negotiate with all the rest. Then go back to the first one if you want to see if they'll budge.

Rates can change multiple times during the day, though, and who's cheapest now might not be the cheapest five minutes from now, which is why this is kinda risky. In the time you take to get quotes and negotiate with a lender, rates can go up. They stop changing when the markets close at 17:00 Eastern, though, so one way to reduce your risk of things changing out from under you is to start looking then (put in a bunch of requests for contacts through an aggregator like bankrate.com or through a site that gets kickbacks for recommending financial products like creditkarma.com). You'll still have to act fast to get a rate locked before people go home for the day, but at least you don't have to worry about losing your negotiating position.

So who did you end up getting the 2.625 rate quote from? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Sirotan posted:

New American Funding

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Just shelled out $3,700 for a closet door.

Still think I dodged a bullet on the other house though.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Nice edit, but that’s encouraging.

And :v:

Edit: It’s crazy to me how expensive real estate in west Kansas is.

Where (roughly) in western Kansas? I used to live in the southwestern empty part. Clark County.

quote:

Just shelled out $3,700 for a closet door.

Is it made of solid gold?

I'm still poking around at refinancing and the origination fees are constantly hilarious to me. "NO POINTS!" seems to just mean "...but we'll charge you just as much for something else and call it an origination fee" from everyone I've talked to so far. Probably just going to stick with my 3.5% at this rate. 2.875% isn't worth >$7K in non-point closing costs for a condo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sundae posted:

Where (roughly) in western Kansas? I used to live in the southwestern empty part. Clark County.

Probably somewhere in the southern suburbs, between the zoo and Cherry Hills Village or so?

:v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Probably somewhere in the southern suburbs, between the zoo and Cherry Hills Village or so?

:v:

I guess that's what I get for not being specific on "roughly." :lol: Enjoy the flat and brown, and definitely enjoy I-70. It's been a long time, but I wonder if there is still the old billboard that reads "McDonalds, 100 miles ahead." I think that was put up just to break people's spirits.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Sundae posted:

Is it made of solid gold?

It's custom built. I love having a large closet, it's great to be able to hold every shoe, coat, and piece of clothing I have, but it's not cheap.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sundae posted:

I guess that's what I get for not being specific on "roughly." :lol: Enjoy the flat and brown, and definitely enjoy I-70. It's been a long time, but I wonder if there is still the old billboard that reads "McDonalds, 100 miles ahead." I think that was put up just to break people's spirits.

I’m doing St. Louis to denver in one day. I’ve never driven west of St. Louis/east of Denver and already dreading it. Every single person I’ve talked to has said it’s the most boring drive they’ve ever done.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 7, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Residency Evil posted:

I’m doing St. Louis to denver in one day. I’ve never driven west of St. Louis/east of Denver and already dreading it. Every single person I’ve talked to has said it’s the most boring drive they’ve ever done.

Don't let your gas tank get below half full because there are spots where you just might run out before you see your next station. I did Denver to Chicago in a day once and I managed to get the gas light to come on twice during that drive and broke out into a cold sweat both times.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

It's custom built. I love having a large closet, it's great to be able to hold every shoe, coat, and piece of clothing I have, but it's not cheap.

You just moved in. This is the time to make it how you want. Enjoy it.

E:

Let's see if I can turn this into a couple of light posts on my patio for string lights before it starts raining.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Residency Evil posted:

Dude you can pay people to ship or drive your car for you. Much better than signing up for the most boring 14 hour road trip ever.. especially on day 2 of a huge road trip. Philly to St Louis is another 900+ mile day, with stops will probably run you almost 16 hours?

I did Topeka to Las Vegas over 2 days when I was 16 and it was miserable. If I had the means, I wouldn't make that drive again. Worst thing was is I got popped on a bullshit speeding ticket in some horeshit 2 grain silo county somewhere in West Kansas. Luckily it was only a 65 dollar ticket and it didn't go on my record (straight revenue grab). That could have wrecked my insurance rates at that age.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

FISHMANPET posted:

I've heard lots of poo poo about Samsung fridges being... poo poo, so I'm planning on just avoiding them entirely. I was looking at a GE fridge with ice/water, but it's a hidden interior water dispenser with a non-dispenser ice maker in the freezer drawer, so water line freezing issues shouldn't be a problem there, with the water line never going through the freezer and all...

Bought a Samsung fridge a few days ago. At the coldest setting, the fridge sometimes creeps back above 40. Already booked my first service tech visit less than a week in, yay!

But not sure there are good brands out there anymore, and this one fits our small space and was available on short notice when our last one died, so it is what it is.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Motronic posted:

E:

Let's see if I can turn this into a couple of light posts on my patio for string lights before it starts raining.

Once I get the garage built, I'm looking to do the same thing. I've seen various mechanisms for attaching the light wire to the pole and/or other structures but I'm very interested in what your specific setup is going to be.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Motronic posted:

Means a lot to get an approval from you. We are excited to get this place the way we want, and the closet and murphy bed are top priorities. Once that's done we'll tackle lighting upstairs, a bathroom remodel, and a water heater upgrade (not necessarily in that order), but other than that not much is needed.

I showed my wife the trick of erasing floor scratches with a walnut, and she thinks I am some kind of magician now.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I wish Motronic would have a thread about his property, maybe in the same subforum as the interior design thread. I bet there are all sorts of insights and secrets to be gleaned, and it always looks nice when we get a peek in photos.

Kind of like AI has indefinite car project threads.

VVV Matt Farah and Zack Klapman! Nice podcast taste. You should check out One Take vids from them if you don't already.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 7, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

skipdogg posted:

Dude you can pay people to ship or drive your car for you. Much better than signing up for the most boring 14 hour road trip ever.. especially on day 2 of a huge road trip. Philly to St Louis is another 900+ mile day, with stops will probably run you almost 16 hours?

I did Topeka to Las Vegas over 2 days when I was 16 and it was miserable. If I had the means, I wouldn't make that drive again. Worst thing was is I got popped on a bullshit speeding ticket in some horeshit 2 grain silo county somewhere in West Kansas. Luckily it was only a 65 dollar ticket and it didn't go on my record (straight revenue grab). That could have wrecked my insurance rates at that age.

Shipping one car, wife is driving with our dog in one, and then I’m driving the third. I’m doing the drive in three days. We have a bunch of stuff that we’ll want to have in our rental, things movers won’t take, etc. I’ll load up some old Smoking Tire podcasts and turn the massaging seats on. I’ll survive! I’ve driven San Antonio to Wisconsin before, so this should be comparable.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

You can use Bondo with a Bondo reinforcement patch like this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000HA9O5A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_X95G6QYEAC8QEEYXGMDJ I've patched, sanded, and repainted a bunch of sections of my house which has smooth aluminum siding and it worked great and was really easy. I'm sure this works fine on siding with a pattern too but you might have to get a little artistic.

What's plan B? I think I hosed up, I couldn't get it smooth and it started drying really fast and probably put too much on.

Edit: I came back after 15 minutes to sand it and the fibers of the patch are coming up and the Bondo is coming off in chunks. This is the point where I cut my losses and hire painters, right?

MJP fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 7, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I had 4 cars before I moved last month. Two were sold, one I had shipped as it was half finished and I had too much in it to scrap and no one would pay for what it had in it and we drove the last one across the country with the dogs. 2700 over 5 days. It wasn’t the most mentally stimulating time but we got it done. Flying with dogs is not easy and both of ours are too big for the cabin and they won’t take them as cargo since they have flat faces.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don’t mind STL to KC and there’s great food in Columbia and KC of course but boy the drop off after that is going to be :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inner Light posted:

I wish Motronic would have a thread about his property, maybe in the same subforum as the interior design thread. I bet there are all sorts of insights and secrets to be gleaned, and it always looks nice when we get a peek in photos.

Well, if there's interest maybe I should do that.

I just got most of the way through renoing my bar and this is just kind of an extension of that out onto the patio.

Just let it be known that I cheat. A lot. (I own a bunch of equipment and have access to just about anything else I could want)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MJP posted:

What's plan B? I think I hosed up, I couldn't get it smooth and it started drying really fast and probably put too much on.

Edit: I came back after 15 minutes to sand it and the fibers of the patch are coming up and the Bondo is coming off in chunks. This is the point where I cut my losses and hire painters, right?

Do you have more bondo? You'll have to feather that out a lot more and sand it flatish. It's rough because your patch is on top, so geometry isn't in your favor.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
OK so are these fiber bits supposed to come off of the patch and the metal mesh stays on? I have more Bondo but now I'm afraid to use it since it was all over the place.

I figured I don't have much to lose at this point so I kept sanding, then I just peeled off the fibers. Could I just use spackle for the rest? It's an enclosed patio so at this point I just wanna get to the point where I can sand and paint.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MJP posted:

OK so are these fiber bits supposed to come off of the patch and the metal mesh stays on? I have more Bondo but now I'm afraid to use it since it was all over the place.

I figured I don't have much to lose at this point so I kept sanding, then I just peeled off the fibers. Could I just use spackle for the rest? It's an enclosed patio so at this point I just wanna get to the point where I can sand and paint.

Mix in way less of the hardener and you'll have more time to work with it. You need to cover that entire patch plus at least 2" of the siding all around with Bondo then let it dry and sand it smooth. Bondo is the spackle you want to use in this scenario.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

Mix in way less of the hardener and you'll have more time to work with it. You need to cover that entire patch plus at least 2" of the siding all around with Bondo then let it dry and sand it smooth. Bondo is the spackle you want to use in this scenario.

Hardener? It's just a single tube of Bondo left over from the time I was filling in cracks on my scooter before painting it. No mixing involved. Squirt on the wall, smooth with putty knife, wait, panic. Although maybe it'll be easier now that I took the fiber parts off. It's not goon in a well if I at least try to climb out before digging more, right?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MJP posted:

Hardener? It's just a single tube of Bondo left over from the time I was filling in cracks on my scooter before painting it. No mixing involved. Squirt on the wall, smooth with putty knife, wait, panic. Although maybe it'll be easier now that I took the fiber parts off. It's not goon in a well if I at least try to climb out before digging more, right?

Bondo is a two-part putty that usually comes in a big can of gray putty with a tiny tube of red hardener that you mix into it. From the color of your patch I kinda wonder if you're just spreading the hardener on your wall. Can you take a picture of the tube?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Sirotan posted:

Bondo is a two-part putty that usually comes in a big can of gray putty with a tiny tube of red hardener that you mix into it. From the color of your patch I kinda wonder if you're just spreading the hardener on your wall. Can you take a picture of the tube?

All the memories are rushing back now... so much Bondo in undergrad...

Yeah I was wondering why the Bondo was red and not gray but now I remember the separate red hardener.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
They sell the hardener separately as well so it's possible he assumed it was all the same stuff and just bought the smallest tube on the shelf.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bondo Glazing Spot Putty. Let me guess, wrong stuff to use here?
https://imgur.com/a/FAOHBvT

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MJP posted:

Bondo Glazing Spot Putty. Let me guess, wrong stuff to use here?
https://imgur.com/a/FAOHBvT

Unfortunately. That stuff isn't gonna stick very well.

Let it harden overnight, clean it up and grab some of the 2-part bondo and you should be fine.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yeah you'll have a much easier time of it if you get the two-part Bondo. What you have isn't really designed for a patch of that size.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Unfortunately. That stuff isn't gonna stick very well.

Let it harden overnight, clean it up and grab some of the 2-part bondo and you should be fine.

Lucky me, I've been able to just scrape the excess off. The thinner bits have sanded out nicely.

Is this the stuff I want? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bondo-28-oz-Gray-Patching-Compound/3044443

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Sirotan posted:

Kreeblah and GEMorris: can you share what bank or broker you went with? I'm thinking about shopping around for refi rates and 2.99 was the best I've found so far.

I just started the process with better.com They had the lowest rates by far when I was comparing (enough that the other mortgage agents were saying I should jump on their rate. We'll see how smooth the process goes, though.

We plan to move in a few years, so we took some credit to cover some of the closings costs and have a 3% APR. I could have gotten 2.75% with no points. We are still saving ~$450 a month once all is said and done.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MJP posted:

Lucky me, I've been able to just scrape the excess off. The thinner bits have sanded out nicely.

Is this the stuff I want? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bondo-28-oz-Gray-Patching-Compound/3044443

That should do it.

Make sure you have some nice rubber scrapers so you can really smooth it out. Go light coats, probably several. It's going to give you a nice finish with much less mess and sanding.

Inner Light posted:

Okay, I started one. Thanks for the idea: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967128

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
223k at 1.42% fixed for 30 years, what the gently caress is this rate

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

please knock Mom! posted:

One you should immediately lock.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jesus. We thought we struck gold with 3.2 on a 15 almost a year ago. Still don’t regret it, going to save like $38k over never refinancing, but christ.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

That’s so far below the 30-year US treasury bond yield, there are only a few options:

1. It’s not a US rate
2. It includes buying a ton of points for a near criminal expense
3. It’s a scam

Or it’s a typo or you left out some critical information and the thread is making bad assumptions about what the rate is actually about

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

pmchem posted:

That’s so far below the 30-year US treasury bond yield, there are only a few options:

1. It’s not a US rate
2. It includes buying a ton of points for a near criminal expense
3. It’s a scam

Or it’s a typo or you left out some critical information and the thread is making bad assumptions about what the rate is actually about

Sorry, not in the US. Netherlands, and it's the going rate here these days. Locked it in for 30 years of course. Interest rates in the EU are really drat low. Lower than I expected after spending some time lurking here

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Sirotan posted:

I got both of my 2.625 quotes from lenders off of bankrate. First State Mortgage, and LoanLock (which we are going with due to lower fees)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sorry, not in the US. Netherlands, and it's the going rate here these days. Locked it in for 30 years of course. Interest rates in the EU are really drat low. Lower than I expected after spending some time lurking here

:eyepop:

please excuse me while I go find an overpriced houseboat to buy