Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
This discussion about government issue TOTP is interesting, because in Finland it basically works the other way. Your bank provides the TOTP or other MFA, and you use your online banking credentials to authenticate yourself to government services and many others too. Want to do your taxes, modify your car registration, check your medical records, it's all handled through bank authentication. Alternatives are authentication through your cell operators mobile certificate or a government issue smart card, but I have to have bank account anyway, so why would I pay extra for my operator or buy a 100€ smart card. I work for a large university and if I forget my password, I can go to the password change website, do bank authentication to prove my identity and set a new password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Saukkis posted:

This discussion about government issue TOTP is interesting, because in Finland it basically works the other way. Your bank provides the TOTP or other MFA, and you use your online banking credentials to authenticate yourself to government services and many others too. Want to do your taxes, modify your car registration, check your medical records, it's all handled through bank authentication. Alternatives are authentication through your cell operators mobile certificate or a government issue smart card, but I have to have bank account anyway, so why would I pay extra for my operator or buy a 100€ smart card. I work for a large university and if I forget my password, I can go to the password change website, do bank authentication to prove my identity and set a new password.

here in the US I am pretty sure there isn't a single major bank that doesn't use SMS for authentication

pretty sure the problems with that kicked off this whole conversation

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

RFC2324 posted:

here in the US I am pretty sure there isn't a single major bank that doesn't use SMS for authentication

pretty sure the problems with that kicked off this whole conversation

In Finland it has been paper number lists since last millenia. Only in the past few years EU regulations are forcing them to change it. Either you use the banking app on your phone, or you receive a number through SMS and check the PIN code that matches that number from your OTP list.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

DerekSmartymans posted:

My adult son didn’t get his first stimulus check because it fell out inside a truck and nobody cared enough to pick it up. He got it almost the same day of his $600 stimulus check was direct deposited. 🙄

That’s more a result of the USA still using paper checks in tyool 2021.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Khablam posted:

That's not a failure of SMS, that's just social engineering. You can replace SMS with signal, Google auth, etc in that scenario and it still works.
The problem with SMS is it's not too difficult to call a cell company and convince them you're the account owner, and therefore you can intercept SMS. There's no mitigation really, beyond "don't use SMS" since you won't be a part of the attack.

For the especially vulnerable and monitored, SMS also lets LEA intercept 2FA codes over the air.

You can literally just build a box that acts as a cell phone tower and read everyone's SMS messages for whatever radius u can broadcast / recieve to

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

alexandriao posted:

You can literally just build a box that acts as a cell phone tower and read everyone's SMS messages for whatever radius u can broadcast / recieve to

Isn't that basically the Stingray that went around the US a while ago? fake cell phone tower, gets numbers,text,locational triangulation the works?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

TheParadigm posted:

Isn't that basically the Stingray that went around the US a while ago? fake cell phone tower, gets numbers,text,locational triangulation the works?

https://youtu.be/IktrlSJNumw

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DerekSmartymans posted:

My adult son didn’t get his first stimulus check because it fell out inside a truck and nobody cared enough to pick it up. He got it almost the same day of his $600 stimulus check was direct deposited. 🙄

I didn't get either stimulus check last year until I filed my 2020 return.

I still haven't received my 2019 return.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

So my windows defender just cause a file Uwamson.A!ml which seems pretty high risk.

I read through the OP and am just confirming that the only way to be safe is to reinstall my OS, is that correct?

e: to be clear nothing happened other than windows warning me about the file that was contained in a .zip file. I'd unpacked the zip and that's all

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 11, 2021

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
If you didn't actually run the thing you're fine.

But whatever you were doing to obtain that zip in the first place sounds risky. How many similar zip files might you have come across in the past that defender didn't tell you about?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Booyah- posted:

So my windows defender just cause a file Uwamson.A!ml which seems pretty high risk.

I read through the OP and am just confirming that the only way to be safe is to reinstall my OS, is that correct?

e: to be clear nothing happened other than windows warning me about the file that was contained in a .zip file. I'd unpacked the zip and that's all

It seems that signature is associated with crypto mining. Were you attempting to mine crypto of some variety? If so it might be just the antivirus being overzealous, a lot of them will flag all cryptominers as suspicious in the same way as game cracks and such.

If you were not attempting to mine crypto it seems someone was and I'd consider the machine to be compromised.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I wasn't doing any mining, it was in the source code zip for Cheat Engine which I was looking into for changing values in an Unreal Engine game:
https://github.com/cheat-engine/cheat-engine/releases/tag/7.2

I didn't actually compile the code, I had unzipped the source and later windows defender notified me about it. So maybe I'm okay

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Booyah- posted:

I wasn't doing any mining, it was in the source code zip for Cheat Engine which I was looking into for changing values in an Unreal Engine game:
https://github.com/cheat-engine/cheat-engine/releases/tag/7.2

I didn't actually compile the code, I had unzipped the source and later windows defender notified me about it. So maybe I'm okay

WTF.

If you look in the issues list at https://github.com/cheat-engine/cheat-engine/issues there's a bunch of issues raised about people running into this issue and all the devs say is "turn off reputation based protection in your antivirus".

That's a bit weird.

I *guess* it might give a false positive because this is literally a program that exists to mod other programs which is something that a virus might do.

But just telling people to turn off an AV feature without further explanation is... iffy.

But that's a general remark. @Booyah- as for your individual case, you're most likely fine, as your AV stopped it before anything was actually executed.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's a long-standing issue with grabbing new source code and heuristic antivirus which, for a large part, just asks "is this computer code?" "is it signed?" and "have I seen this code before?" if all 3 are no many engines will flag it outright, or give it a high distrust modifier. Once it's assuming the code is bad it'll see a DLL injection and flag it there.

All this to say, if you have a high level of trust in your ability to determine a safe source, just create a directory to unpack and compile code in and whitelist it in defender.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Khablam posted:

All this to say, if you have a high level of trust in your ability to determine a safe source, just create a directory to unpack and compile code in and whitelist it in defender.

Working in tech has taught me that if you have a high level of trust in your ability to judge anything you are probably wrong

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

WTF.

If you look in the issues list at https://github.com/cheat-engine/cheat-engine/issues there's a bunch of issues raised about people running into this issue and all the devs say is "turn off reputation based protection in your antivirus".

That's a bit weird.

I *guess* it might give a false positive because this is literally a program that exists to mod other programs which is something that a virus might do.

But just telling people to turn off an AV feature without further explanation is... iffy.

But that's a general remark. @Booyah- as for your individual case, you're most likely fine, as your AV stopped it before anything was actually executed.

Haha I did not think to check the issues page, that is sketchy for sure!

I'll probably reinstall the OS in a day or two, is there anything I need to be particularly careful of before then? I'm not sure exactly what malware like this is trying to do, i.e. steal passwords or things like that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

If it was just source you are safe from that particular hit, so if thats your only concern then formatting because of it is dumb

That said, a regular system wipe is good for Windows

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Booyah- posted:

Haha I did not think to check the issues page, that is sketchy for sure!

I'll probably reinstall the OS in a day or two, is there anything I need to be particularly careful of before then? I'm not sure exactly what malware like this is trying to do, i.e. steal passwords or things like that.

I really wouldn't worry all that much since 1. it's quite likely it was a false positive and 2. even if it isn't, your AV blocked it before it executed anything. It's unlikely your computer is actually infected.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Okay, thanks!

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I'm a non IT professional / non CS educated person who is trying to learn InfoSec and general IT skills along the way. I'm already using password managers, 2FA, use good unique passwords but haven't yet really looked at my own PC admin and home wifi etc. This is more from a hobbyist perspective of trying to learn InfoSec, so my threat model is artificial in this case but I'm interested in learning tradeoffs and risks etc.

So to start, I figured I'd learn some basics first by going through my regular devices and home network and learning about different configurations for different threat models.

For an absolute beginner, what's a good general guide on "hardening" home windows PCs and laptops in terms of being secure enough to not being a low hanging fruit for bad actors? I'm talking here about configuring my Windows accounts, privileges etc and having multiple accounts setup on a home PC? Realized recently that my main account has been lazily setup as an admin which I imagine is not a good practice, and I need to add an account for my partner too but with enough privileges so she can install steam games, and also have my accounts setup so that I can still install apps and games (im assuming here there's some sort of setup for prompted admin passwords?)

Finally, while maybe some day I'd be curious with nerding out on Linux etc in the meantime I'd rather just learn Windows since it's what I use at home and work. Plus I wouldn't mind along the way learning stuff in PowerShell or CMD because I've always wanted to improve my CLI skills because I'm lazy and would love to learn more productivity stuff for work (I'm a general "knowledge worker" so learning anything to make my bullshit job copy pasting text from Excel and Word into emails would be great along the way).

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

I'm not sure if there's a more appropriate place to post this.

So, I'm pretty sure my laptop has been compromised (Windows 10). Here's why I think this. I would love for someone to convince me I'm just being paranoid:

Observation #1:

When I try to open Git Bash, it gives the following error:

This is because there's an open SSH connection started by a cygwin shell (explained here).

If I run

code:
taskkill /F /IM ssh.exe
It says
code:
ERROR: The process "ssh.exe" not found.
Not really all that surprising, since I never opened an SSH connection. If I restart Windows with the minimal set of startup programs and services, that Git Bash message still appears. If I uninstall/reinstall Git Bash, the error does goes away...but then re-appears after I restart Windows.

So to summarize:
- There's an open SSH connection which I didn't start.
- The process name has been changed to something else.
- The connection is opened when Windows starts up, and as best I can tell it is not related to any legitimate program/services.

Observation #2:

I have an Apache/PHP/MySQL server running an ancient app that I'll probably be responsible for forever, being the sole developer (and unable to just ghost the client because I'm way too nice). The server isn't public (only accessible on localhost). I was looking at the access and error logs when I noticed some weird entries:

code:
[Thu Dec 24 00:39:59.514464 2020] [access_compat:error] [pid 9436:tid 4820] [client fe80::388f:fb31:e127:ac3f:50988] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: C:/server64/www/SystemResources

[Fri Aug 06 06:58:27.475199 2021] [access_compat:error] [pid 9256:tid 4760] [client fe80::815c:be11:a240:a25b:54423] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: C:/server64/www/ROOT

laptop-90j5g5f0 - - [06/Aug/2021:06:58:26 -0500] "OPTIONS /ROOT/default%3A__EventConsumerProviderRegistration.provider%3D%22/root/default%3A__Win32Provider.Name%3D/%22LogFileEventConsumer/%22%22 HTTP/1.1" 403 348
That Dec entry went unnoticed by me at the time, but when I saw the other one (like, yesterday), I ran tracert on the IP, and it resolved to my computer (laptop-90j5g5f0)

This is real odd, for a variety of reasons:
- that's an ipv6 address. The reason those requests are being denied is I'm restricting connections in .htaccess files to specific ipv4 address. 127.0.0.1/localhost being among the allowed addresses, of course. But not '::1'. As in, if I open a browser and go to 'http://127.0.0.1/SystemResources', I'll just see a 404 error in the log like so:

code:
127.0.0.1 - - [07/Aug/2021:14:13:12 -0500] "GET /SystemResources HTTP/1.1" 404 213
So, those requests aren't coming from anything the app is doing.

- In fact, this is the first time I've seen an ipv6 address in the log files, and I've been working on this thing for over ten years.

- Even though those requests are ostensibly coming from my laptop, as per the tracert, they don't reflect my laptop's configuration, which defaults to ipv4.

- 'SystemResources' and 'ROOT' are not directories actually being served by Apache, obviously, nor are they aliases (why would they be?). SystemResources is a folder under Windows (C:\Windows\SystemResources) and ROOT makes me think of an environment variable.

- That last entry shows a WMI path (or command? I don't know much about WMI) being passed to the Apache OPTIONS directive. That...doesn't make any sense, at least as far as I understand. It's additionally weird because running apache on windows is atypical (I didn't know any better when I started it in the before times). It doesn't make sense on a couple different levels, and it just seems very unlikely to me that some random program would generate such a request.

- mod_info isn't active and phpinfo is disabled, yet those requests clearly demonstrate that whoever or whatever is making them knows that the apache server is running on windows, somehow.

- The request to the SystemResources directory is just weird. It assumes that the server is configured to have an alias that points to that directory. No one in their right mind would ever do that.

These log entries generally just don't make any sense to me. The WMI one in particular. If you assume I'm compromised, via an ssh tunnel, I would think that they wouldn't need to attempt to get to those system directories through requests to the Apache server. Those requests to the Windows system directories were, again, made by my laptop. If the intent was to get to those directories, they could simply just navigate to them. So, requesting those addresses on the Apache server is not only weird (for all the mentioned reasons), but also superfluous. Similarly, executing powershell cmdlets through an OPTIONS request is not a thing. as a log entry it looks very suspicious. Given how nonsensical this all is, it makes me wonder if the point of the requests is not to actually get access to those system directories or call WMI commands (somehow), but to put scary looking entries into the log files.

I'm going to do a Windows reset/re-install, of course, just because I don't know what else to do. But, that's what I ended up doing the last time this Git Bash weirdness (and other weird poo poo) started happening. And it did resolve the Git Bash issue, at the time. But now it's happening again, which makes me think I'm compromised at a much deeper level, or at least to the point where re-installing Windows isn't a solution.

I'm very frustrated that I'm not savvy enough to figure out the SSH connection issue, like what the (renamed) ssh process is. Is there any way to detect that, based on network activity or whatever?.

In general I'm just not experienced enough in security to really know what to do or what my options are, assuming my laptop is compromised, besides doing a full reset. Which... apparently doesn't work, since this is the second time this has happened. Again, it would be nice if someone could convince me that I'm wrong about all this and just being paranoid, reading intent into things that are actually innocuous.

edit - I'm not really interested in talking about my reasoning for thinking I might know who might be responsible, and absent any explanation the suggestion just seems unhinged.

Orbis Tertius fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 8, 2021

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Orbis Tertius posted:

So to summarize:
- There's an open SSH connection which I didn't start.
- The process name has been changed to something else.
- The connection is opened when Windows starts up, and as best I can tell it is not related to any legitimate program/services.

I haven't looked at the rest, but I want to point out that your chain of reasoning here is extremely shaky. You don't actually know any of this! You googled up some random internet dude's post about a problem with similar symptoms, and have arrived at these conclusions by assuming your root cause must be the same as his. But it doesn't have to be, and in fact the lack of a ssh process is a clue that it isn't.

Googling the error message led me to:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45799650/git-bash-error-could-not-fork-child-process-there-are-no-available-terminals

which has a whole bunch of comments raising possible causes and fixes. Some of them are the same as random internet dude's, some definitely aren't. It all sounds like the consequences of cygwin being a weird and janky compatibility shim to make Unix software run on Windows, so your first instinct when it acts up shouldn't be "omg I have been hacked!!!", it should be "ah poo poo this junk broke again".

(If I were you, I'd look into running tools like git on WSL2 - I haven't used it personally but from what I've heard it probably works a lot better on average than cygwin.)

I'd also add that if you are really super convinced you have a rogue SSH connection open, you should be installing and using network monitoring tools to look for it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BobHoward posted:

(If I were you, I'd look into running tools like git on WSL2 - I haven't used it personally but from what I've heard it probably works a lot better on average than cygwin.)

Yes, much better.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

BobHoward posted:

I haven't looked at the rest, but I want to point out that your chain of reasoning here is extremely shaky. You don't actually know any of this! You googled up some random internet dude's post about a problem with similar symptoms, and have arrived at these conclusions by assuming your root cause must be the same as his. But it doesn't have to be, and in fact the lack of a ssh process is a clue that it isn't.

Googling the error message led me to:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45799650/git-bash-error-could-not-fork-child-process-there-are-no-available-terminals

which has a whole bunch of comments raising possible causes and fixes. Some of them are the same as random internet dude's, some definitely aren't. It all sounds like the consequences of cygwin being a weird and janky compatibility shim to make Unix software run on Windows, so your first instinct when it acts up shouldn't be "omg I have been hacked!!!", it should be "ah poo poo this junk broke again".

I'd also add that if you are really super convinced you have a rogue SSH connection open, you should be installing and using network monitoring tools to look for it.

Thanks, thats along the lines of what I wanted to hear...Ive actually transitioned to working in WSL but still had git installed in windows.

I did do more research about the Cygwin error than just that one article, and the open SSH connection was the reason I decided on. But, I could just be coming to conclusions that fit with my suspicions.

Orbis Tertius fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 7, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Orbis Tertius posted:

Thanks, thats along the lines of what I wanted to hear...Ive actually transitioned to working in WSL but still had git installed in windows.

I did do more research about the Cygwin error than just that one article, and the open SSH connection was the reason I decided on. But, I could just be coming to conclusions that fit with my suspicions.

just gonna point out that when you troubleshoot you should never "decide on" an option, you should be ruling things out systematically and as conclusively as possible.

and "i don't think thats what it is" and "I don't like that answer" are not conclusive, they are in fact the opposite of conclusive

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Don't see how this is a hard one to prove or disprove. Fire up procexp and wireshark and go looking for evidence

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Orbis Tertius posted:

It makes me think that someone is doing these requests assuming I'll notice them, to try and freak me out? I should mention that this isn't the first time that the Git Bash issue has happened (along with other weird stuff going on.) I actually have some suspicions about who might be doing this, but I don't want to get into it because it makes me look like a crazy person.

Too late

OP do you have a history of paranoid schizophrenia? Also check for a carbon monoxide leak

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Rufus Ping posted:

Too late

OP do you have a history of paranoid schizophrenia? Also check for a carbon monoxide leak

No, I don’t.

I have procexp but I don’t really know what I’m looking for. I’ll give wireshark a go. Thanks for the suggestions.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Might wanna get checked out on the paranoid delusions, just saying

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Late to the party but those IPv6 addresses you're seeing are link-local addresses. They're sort of like the old IPv4 Autoconfiguration addresses. Almost definitely not significant.

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4291.html

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Hello, after reading the Op, I do realize it is mostly a security blanket, but I am having trouble with my Microsoft Security's real time protection settings, namely that it seems to be disabled and I cannot turn it on. Checking the help menu suggested the fix was removing other anti-virus/malware/etc programs which would interfere, but I have never installed another antivirus on this computer. I am unsure what to do going forwards.

I realize that it wouldn't do much even after it is turned on, but something is better for peace of mind than nothing.

Also, on another note, as someone with minor computer literacy, how difficult would it be to install and use uBlock Origin, or uBlock?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ashsaber posted:

Hello, after reading the Op, I do realize it is mostly a security blanket, but I am having trouble with my Microsoft Security's real time protection settings, namely that it seems to be disabled and I cannot turn it on. Checking the help menu suggested the fix was removing other anti-virus/malware/etc programs which would interfere, but I have never installed another antivirus on this computer. I am unsure what to do going forwards.

I realize that it wouldn't do much even after it is turned on, but something is better for peace of mind than nothing.

Also, on another note, as someone with minor computer literacy, how difficult would it be to install and use uBlock Origin, or uBlock?

don't use uBlock, use origin, and you just get it off your browsers extension store

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is this thread where I should ask how someone got a password for my Outlook.com account? The account has zero known breaches according to Have I Been Pwned.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

They've had data breaches in the past. Here's an article on one from 2019: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/04/17/microsoft-confirms-outlook-com-and-hotmail-accounts-were-breached/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is this thread where I should ask how someone got a password for my Outlook.com account? The account has zero known breaches according to Have I Been Pwned.

Where else did you use that password?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Where else did you use that password?

That's the thing, nowhere. The account is only used for Outlook.com and my GP surgery website, and both passwords are different. The password for the Outlook site was randomly generated by Bitwarden. I had two factor authentication on anyway so they didn't get access (and it's how I know they had the password).

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Did you receive a notification to this effect from Outlook or something?

If all that's true then the next most plausible options are someone watched you type it, you typed it into a computer with a keylogger (possibly your own), you typed/pasted it into a phishing site.

The solution is the same in all cases: change the password to something new from a safe computer.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I’ve heard tales that sometimes sync issues between Outlook and the Authenticator app can cause unsolicited authentication requests, but yeah if you’re worried then just change the password from a safe machine.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Rufus Ping posted:

Did you receive a notification to this effect from Outlook or something?

If all that's true then the next most plausible options are someone watched you type it, you typed it into a computer with a keylogger (possibly your own), you typed/pasted it into a phishing site.

The solution is the same in all cases: change the password to something new from a safe computer.

I got a request on my 2FA app asking to authorise a log on. I'm running a Malwarebytes Scan. It's very strange.

Password changed anyway. Thank god for 2FA. poo poo thing is, it's my grandmother's email address. She died in 2013, I just keep active for sentiment, it's not actually used for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
So a mates PC is showing symptoms that could point to an infection of some kind so I'm going to lend a hand over the weekend, but it's been years since I did any of this.
What's the standard tool set for scanning a possibly infected personal PC on windows 10 these days? Last time I did this malwarebytes and superantispyware was the recommended combination is that still true?
Also is there any good writeups on sorting malwarebytes results? I know last time I used it I had to spend quite a bit of time determining what was being flagged but wasn't actually anything harmful.