Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

yeah the thing about the "purges" is that they were, specifically, purges of the communist party, rather than just a particularly memorable and scary word used to describe an insane and pointless terror campaign against the general public

I mean it was also described as "Yezhovschina" by some because it was the era when the secret police under Yezhov went completely ham on anyone perceived to be a political opponent, including kulaks, some minorities with national aspirations, etc. I'm for a purge of our current leadership as much as anyone but the height of the "Great Purge" is usually associated with that poo poo as well. (Granted, some of those atrocities have been exaggerated, and land collectivization was a real necessity vis-a-vis kulaks)

Also worth pointing out that almost the entire revolutionary Bolshevik leadership from 1917 were killed in the purge

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

what, you don't like trotsky?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Yossarian-22 posted:

I mean it was also described as "Yezhovschina" by some because it was the era when the secret police under Yezhov went completely ham on anyone perceived to be a political opponent, including kulaks, some minorities with national aspirations, etc. I'm for a purge of our current leadership as much as anyone but the height of the "Great Purge" is usually associated with that poo poo as well. (Granted, some of those atrocities have been exaggerated, and land collectivization was a real necessity vis-a-vis kulaks)

Also worth pointing out that almost the entire revolutionary Bolshevik leadership from 1917 were killed in the purge

first, i'm pretty sure it was like half

second, though, you're right - the great purge went too far and notably gave saboteurs the opportunity to expel, imprison, or even kill good communists to deliberately hamstring the party. stalin himself said as much. the very fact that this happened, though, is a demonstration in itself that many people were in the rolls who shouldn't be. one way or another the party had the reckon with the growing pains of having won the revolution and suddenly being the optimal career path for every feckless opportunist and outright reactionary

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im pretty sure more of the revolutionary leadership died in the actual war but hey. whatever.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the one-party state has very serious trouble with careerism, it turns out

also didn't help that stalin was completely merciless to his factional enemies though

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if you don’t purge you get liberals

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
i totally forget the source on this but iirc there's stalin orders that are specifically trying to set a quantitative limit on the purges, and liberals translate them as setting quotas.

dude was just trying to stop the bleeding re: siege paranoia.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

first, i'm pretty sure it was like half

second, though, you're right - the great purge went too far and notably gave saboteurs the opportunity to expel, imprison, or even kill good communists to deliberately hamstring the party. stalin himself said as much. the very fact that this happened, though, is a demonstration in itself that many people were in the rolls who shouldn't be. one way or another the party had the reckon with the growing pains of having won the revolution and suddenly being the optimal career path for every feckless opportunist and outright reactionary

pretty sure it was more that stalin feared the old guard of the bolsheviks would take advantage of the social upheaval caused by collectivization to seize power, and then he used that legitimate fear to consolidate power entirely around himself, for better or worse. but it wasn't entirely the upper echelons of society that were targeted during that period, so it's disingenuous to just portray it as a purge of corrupt opportunists when lower segments of society were also effected by the ramping up of secret police activity

but yeah my bad, should have said *remaining* old bolsheviks rather than all of them (many had already died of natural causes by the late 30s), although bukharin/trotsky/etc. are pretty notable.

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 8, 2021

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

splifyphus posted:

i totally forget the source on this but iirc there's stalin orders that are specifically trying to set a quantitative limit on the purges, and liberals translate them as setting quotas.

dude was just trying to stop the bleeding re: siege paranoia.

this came fairly late into the game if i recall correctly. it's not exactly easy to stop something like that when it's already hit the point of becoming self-sustaining

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
16 of the 29 full and candidate members of the bolsheviks central committee during the october revolution were either killed, assassinated, or committed suicide as a result of the purges. 8 died before the purges ever began. they werent an accident, they were deliberate and used to maintain power by an opportunistic clique led by stalin. unless you believe that zinoviev had plotted to kill lenin and kirov.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yossarian-22 posted:

pretty sure it was more that stalin feared the old guard of the bolsheviks would take advantage of the social upheaval caused by collectivization to seize power, and then he used that legitimate fear to consolidate power entirely around himself, for better or worse. but it wasn't entirely the upper echelons of society that were targeted during that period, so it's disingenuous to just portray it as a purge of corrupt opportunists when lower segments of society were also effected by the ramping up of secret police activity

but yeah my bad, should have said *remaining* old bolsheviks rather than all of them (many had already died of natural causes by the late 30s), although bukharin/trotsky/etc. are pretty notable.

it wasn't just a purge of opportunists but it WAS just a purge of party members, for better or worse. it's best understood as the top and bottom collapsing in a pincer movement on the middle

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just learned today that the "shoe-banging incident" with Khrushchev was fake news

from Politico of all places

EDIT: also that incident kinda sucked, on closer inspection:

quote:

Interestingly enough, [Philippine Senator Lorenzo] Sumulong and Krushchev initially found themselves on the same side of the fence following the latter’s call at the UN Assembly for the Western powers to grant their colonies independence.

Noticing the irony of Krushchev’s statement since several Eastern European states were also practically under the control of the Soviet Union, Sumulong took to the podium and said while he was all for de-colonization, the Soviet leader should also back up his words by setting the Soviet satellite states free.

Hearing Sumulong’s statement, an angry Krushchev demanded his turn at the podium. Meeting his Filipino opponent face-to-face, the Soviet leader wildly gesticulated for him to step aside before beginning a long rant which consisted of calling Sumulong a stooge and a lackey of the imperialists.

When Assembly President Frederick Boland allowed Sumulong to come up to the podium to speak again on his case, Krushchev became even more irate and gestured for Boland to recognize him on a point of order. Due to the Filipino’s earlier remarks and Boland’s failure to acknowledge him, Krushchev was said to have taken out his shoe in anger and banged it on his desk—an event that would be known as the infamous “Shoe-banging Incident.”

let's turn the situation around - if the issue began with the West demanding that the USSR "decolonize" Eastern Europe, and then Khrushchev would respond by saying that the UK, France, etc. still had colonies themselves that they should set free, that would be a textbook case of "whataboutism"

instead, since it was Khrushchev that was arguing for decolonization, and was countered by someone pointing out that the USSR also allegedly had "colonies" in the form of the Warsaw Pact bloc (this is ridiculous), then instead it becomes a sick own and a winning argument that exposes communist hypocrisy

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 8, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
buried in Beevor's Spanish Civil War book: exoneration

\

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

That’s a really good book, I remember enjoying it a bunch like 11 years ago.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just learned today that the "shoe-banging incident" with Khrushchev was fake news

from Politico of all places

i heard this in trueanon and was super disappointed. the dude ahould have banged his shoe about colonialism. at least the corn picture is real

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
so where did the shoe-banging "one day we will bury you" story come from?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The "we will bury you" speech was on November 18, 1956

quote:

While addressing the Western Bloc at the embassy on November 18, 1956, in the presence of communist Polish statesman Władysław Gomułka, First Secretary Khrushchev said: "About the capitalist states, it doesn't depend on you whether or not we exist. If you don't like us, don't accept our invitations, and don't invite us to come to see you. Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you!"[5] The speech prompted the envoys from twelve NATO nations and Israel to leave the room.[5]

During Khrushchev's visit to the United States in 1959, the Los Angeles mayor Norris Poulson in his address to Khrushchev stated: "We do not agree with your widely quoted phrase 'We shall bury you.' You shall not bury us and we shall not bury you. We are happy with our way of life. We recognize its shortcomings and are always trying to improve it. But if challenged, we shall fight to the death to preserve it".[6] Many Americans meanwhile interpreted Khrushchev's quote as a nuclear threat.[7]

In another public speech Khrushchev declared: "We must take a shovel and dig a deep grave, and bury colonialism as deep as we can".[8] In a 1961 speech at the Institute of Marxism–Leninism in Moscow, Khrushchev said that "peaceful coexistence" for the Soviet Union means "intense, economic, political and ideological struggle between the proletariat and the aggressive forces of imperialism in the world arena".[9] Later, on August 24, 1963, Khrushchev remarked in his speech in Yugoslavia, "I once said, 'We will bury you,' and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you,"[10] a reference to the Marxist saying, "The proletariat is the undertaker of capitalism" (in the Russian translation of Marx, the word "undertaker" is translated as a "grave digger," Russian: могильщик,) based on the concluding statement in Chapter 1 of the Communist Manifesto: "What the bourgeoisie therefore produces, above all, are its own grave-diggers. Its fall and the victory of the proletariat are equally inevitable". In his memoirs, Khrushchev stated that "enemy propaganda picked up the slogan and blew it all out of proportion".[11]

Some authors suggest that an alternative translation is "We shall be present at your funeral" or "We shall outlive you".[12][13][14] Authors have suggested the phrase, in conjunction with Khrushchev's overhead hand clasp gesture meant that Russia would take care of the funeral arrangements for capitalism after its demise.[15] In an article in The New York Times in 2018, translator Mark Polizzotti suggested that the phrase was mistranslated at the time and should properly have been translated as "We will outlast you," which gives a different sense to Khrushchev's statement.[16]

The alleged shoe-banging incident was on October 12, 1960

Similar to the other speech, the shoe banging played into this image of Khrushchev as an emotional, undecorous character, and the Philippine official as having delivered such an incredible retort that the West played it up as a win for propaganda purposes

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

lumpentroll posted:

knowing you're poor(big asses) but thinking you'll be rich(small breasts)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fortaleza posted:

That’s a really good book, I remember enjoying it a bunch like 11 years ago.

Beevors Spanish Civil War is fantastic. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to learn more about the whole situation.

For a right winger, he also does a lot of "yeah the communists were the clear good guys here, and the western liberals utterly failed them."

Just don't read anything about the eastern front from him.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

really queer Christmas posted:

Beevors Spanish Civil War is fantastic. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to learn more about the whole situation.

For a right winger, he also does a lot of "yeah the communists were the clear good guys here, and the western liberals utterly failed them."

Just don't read anything about the eastern front from him.

Yeah I've been finding it hard to believe that his Spanish Civil War book is good because I read his book Stalingrad and it's one of the most pro-Nazi books of mainstream history I've ever read lmao

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

paul_soccer12 posted:

god what id give to be a fly on the wall for their self crit stuggle sessions

japanese red army speed run lets gooo

Seriously doubt any of those freaks are as sincere as the kids who died in the JRA.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
What's the Leftist case for being against the Falklands being part of the UK?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

ToxicAcne posted:

What's the Leftist case for being against the Falklands being part of the UK?

maps dot google dot com

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
albion delenda est

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
nothing should be part of the UK

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
someone alert d&d before its too late

https://twitter.com/Hezbolsonaro/status/1390474154369945600

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Malleum posted:

albion delenda est

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Malleum posted:

albion delenda est

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nothing but respect for MY president

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the UK and us and probably many other western federal states desperately need to be dissolved

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

the best part about this is the overreaction from all the insane ukranian banderites

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Nobody’s perfect but Stalin/USSR literally saved this world from nazi ovens, gas chambers, and slavery so I support this

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Dreylad posted:

the best part about this is the overreaction from all the insane ukranian banderites

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

but its true. lots of people hate nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted: