Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Palamutes (Monster Hunter is an action RPG)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Debunk This! posted:

This post is dedicated to all the best rpg companions; the dogs.

Would love to hear about any other good boys I might have missed or forgotten.

Shadow's dog Interceptor in FFVI. The game had several special attacks that would only come out when health was low, but that dog might have been the first time I really truly noticed it happening and it was super cool

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The stray dog from RE4 that attacks El Gigante for you and then fucks off

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

a kitten posted:

Shadow's dog Interceptor in FFVI. The game had several special attacks that would only come out when health was low, but that dog might have been the first time I really truly noticed it happening and it was super cool

Interceptor is not a desperation attack, he has a chance to block or counterattack any time Shadow would get hit regardless of HP

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DOGGO PUUUUNCH!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Link's Awakening remake music is absolutely phenomenal

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

The Link's Awakening remake music is absolutely phenomenal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RrYJ5z-be8
The Face Shrine track is incredible, it starts out so epic and then when the Gameboy beeps and boops come in the second time around... :kiss:
I loved the redone songs but I wish more of them had gone to that level of new + nostalgia.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Dogmeat from Fallout.

I will also always have a special place in my heart for my first virtual dog, Fenris, in one of the OG text roguelikes. Poked my head into a room full of monsters *way* above my level and my little dog just charged in. I shut the door and ran away, figured he was a goner. Before I left the level I decided to take another peek inside that room, and there was my little dog, now a BIG dog, sitting on a pile of monster corpses and treasure. Good boy!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Debunk This! posted:

This post is dedicated to all the best rpg companions; the dogs.

Rex

Repede

Koromaru

Would love to hear about any other good boys I might have missed or forgotten.

Metal Saga

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm not sure if Ghost Trick counts, but Missile is a very good boy.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm not sure if Ghost Trick counts, but Missile is a very good boy.

if missile doesnt count whats even the point of the list

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Azathoth Prime posted:

Dogmeat from Fallout.

I will also always have a special place in my heart for my first virtual dog, Fenris, in one of the OG text roguelikes. Poked my head into a room full of monsters *way* above my level and my little dog just charged in. I shut the door and ran away, figured he was a goner. Before I left the level I decided to take another peek inside that room, and there was my little dog, now a BIG dog, sitting on a pile of monster corpses and treasure. Good boy!

I spent so much goddamn time keeping Dogmeat alive in the military base in FO1. He was desperate to kill himself on those force fields.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

That's possibly Hewie from Haunting Ground as a reused model. It's never been confirmed.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

I’m a big fan of Amaterasu from Okami as well.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/jkBprUW_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium][/img]

e: Honorable mention to Alice in TLOU2 for making me want to tear my own heart out of my chest.

Azathoth Prime has a new favorite as of 04:13 on May 7, 2021

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Dog from Dragon Age: Origins is a lovable scamp

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He's a good boy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If we're allowing inorganic dogs...

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Ah, That Dog

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I spent so much goddamn time keeping Dogmeat alive in the military base in FO1. He was desperate to kill himself on those force fields.

Funny thing about that, in Fallout 2, it's revealed that it's canon that's how Dogmeat died.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

These are some good dogs y'all thank you for your service. :tipshat:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

one of the hardest times I've ever laughed in my life was like fifteen years ago. leovinus ran a FF8 let's play and named the dog "Vaginal," which of course changes the names of rinoa's limit breaks. I will never forget Vaginal Cannon

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

World War Mammories posted:

one of the hardest times I've ever laughed in my life was like fifteen years ago. leovinus ran a FF8 let's play and named the dog "Vaginal," which of course changes the names of rinoa's limit breaks. I will never forget Vaginal Cannon

Being the mature 7th grader I was I named the dog Sex

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ness' favorite thing to eat is Pussy

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Psi Poopin

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RE8 finally returns to inventory tetris style of item management, with more space and every item in fun geometric shapes to fiddle around with. Even better, crafting and special items (like bolt cutters) now exist outside the main inventory space :five:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Checks out. Are there any among us who can truly say that Poopin is not their favorite thing?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Every time the Nier universe gets bigger it retroactively makes Caim from Drakengard even more of gently caress-up who ruins everything and I love it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I occasionally think about playing Drakengard because I loved N:A

But then I remember that nothing about that series sounded good in the LPs

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Nier definitely made me curious about Drakengard, but I remember the rhythm game final boss and nope out.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I love how much inspiration Village takes from 4. The Duke even occasionally asks "what're ya buyin,?"

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1pdbmVqlZg

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Huh, I never knew about that scene at 1:42 when you throw a guard over a certain part of the railing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

grittyreboot posted:

I love how much inspiration Village takes from 4. The Duke even occasionally asks "what're ya buyin,?"

The first time I shot a shiny thing out of a perch above me in order to pick it up as loot, I got the ol' RE4 feeling again.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Nier definitely made me curious about Drakengard, but I remember the rhythm game final boss and nope out.

That's not even the worst part, the worst part is all the mindless grinding and repetitive levels you have to do to even have a chance to lose at the rhythm game ultimate secret boss.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i do like the insane ost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP4u8QYJmO0

madcap arrhythmic church bells as harbinger of the apocalypse, somehow the exact thing i would expect to hear directly before the corpse of a god and dragon gives me otherdimensional supercancer

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It will always be insane to me that they recorded the chopped up classics specifically for Drakengard, I thought it was a way to save costs by sampling public domain recordings at first but no, they spent more on this than your regular PS2 "keyboardist with a rack module" OST would require

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I emulated Drakengard recently because I was also curious but it really is just rear end to play. Super boring combat with zero depth, still frustrating because it's so clunky and you get stunlocked a lot, and you know if you want the true story, this'll be your life for the next 50 unchanging hours.

Only the flying missions are okay but they're not great either. Do not play Drakengard.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Which game was it that had a relationship system of " the more you interact with this person, the higher your meter" so the end boss kidnaps the shopkeeper, thinking he is your true love?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Dragon's Dogma, and that happened to me. There was a ring you could give to someone to cap out their relationship IIRC but if you had multiples capped they'd just yank who you talked to last, which was usually MASTERWORKS ONE AND ALL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

every single thing in the new pokemon snap but especially the pikachu that rides a mantine in the reef level