Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Honestly, most of those posters are still in the COVID thread.

I never actually spent time on BnR is it as lame as it sounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
PJ is legitimately mentally unwell and yet still manages to be better than 90% of D&D posters

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpOuP1hdtFk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

sexpig by night posted:

PJ is legitimately mentally unwell and yet still manages to be better than 90% of D&D posters

yes this is the funny part

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

even at the time, i don’t know how anyone could believe the disease was bad enough to entirely collapse chinese society but also it wouldn’t spread that destruction outside of chinas borders

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lmao

pj got all their covid news from falun gong and other various insane rightwingers, that thread was so so bad

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Ardennes posted:

every offsite is worse than this place by miles

cspam reaches a critical mass of people where at least there are multiple cliques and its too big to effectively manage the discourse. its not good when there is one clique and they are also the mods

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ardennes posted:

all i know is they banned a chinese poster with lots of informative posts about his country's history for genocide denial

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

all i know is they banned a chinese poster with lots of informative posts about his country's history for genocide denial

they grew up in Xinjiang iirc lmao

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

hexate posted:

With virus' traits as they are, it'll prove difficult for any nation, and particularly any urban center, to contain the spread of this virus. Weeks long incubation period? Airborne, likely asymptomatic transmission? Good luck.

In China, the state controlled media channels, centralized government, and anti-intellectualism of CCP party elders are all contributing to kneecap a functioning society through poor decisions. The response hasn't only been counter-productive in terms of stopping the spread of the virus, but has actively broken down other systems required in a mechanized society: illusion of safety, transportation of goods, medical response to non-COVID illnesses, to name a few.

These are not problems unique to China or the CCP, though. Consider which of these problems might also apply to the US (or other nations), and how? How would corporate media in the US report on this today, vs the US's media of 20-25 years ago? America's media channels are much more consolidated and coordinated by status-quo powers than in years past, and Trump is only the latest flavor of a burgeoning anti-intellectualism at home (following Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Bush, and to a lesser extent, even Clinton and Obama).

This is an existential threat to post-truth boomer governments, the world over. I doubt that it will collapse the CCP, especially given the size of China's populace, but it may well fracture it, decentralize it, or begin a power transfer to younger generations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

AnimeIsTrash posted:

People dramatically leaving for BnR and then coming back a week later will never stop being a hilarious bit.

i wish more people had come back :smith:

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
is wddp still around

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

So Jingping has handled this as a political crisis, and not a Public Health crisis. Many of the directives and decisions that have been made have been done so for political reasons first and foremost, and not practical ones. Japan doesn't have anything even vaguely like the amount of PPE gear they would need to do the kinds of confinement they are attempting, and all they are doing is spreading the virus even further.

China is currently stripping down all the spare doctors and nurses from the rest of the country that it can, and sending them into Wuhan. These doctors and nurses are very quickly getting infected, and because of the lack of PPE, all that's being accomplished just the diseases being spread further.

The same is true of the various police officers and Military members that you've seen going around rounding up potentially infected people, often times they don't have sufficient PPE gear and a large portion of them who started to fall ill as well.

There are massive fuel and food shortages throughout the country, and the sewage system has started to fail in some areas as well.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

ahaha this thread is a goldmine

Prester Jane posted:

You know those propaganda videos of people dancing in the quarantine centers? The nurses are doing a Uyghur dance:

https://twitter.com/AbdugheniSabit/status/1229086469383491585?s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

love to ally with and support the Falun Gong

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
have fulan gong actually done anything besides like, be a strange new age religion

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

it's cool how white supremacist schooling is in the west i didnt know this until this thread pointed it out just now lmao

i should just assume everything i was ever taught was a lie

to be entirely clear the available historical evidence suggests that the printing press developed independently in both the west and the east with the first known metallic press being the jikji movable type and even the notion that gutenburg heard about east asian printing presses through the grapevine is really recent as far as i know there were no records indicating regular contact between china and europe before the dancing with jikji* people started bugging the vatican to confirm they have letters from this one priest who was known to be in china back then

however even given that caveat the documentary also goes into how while gutenburgs printing press is taught literally everywhere almost no one outside of korea has even heard of the jikji movable type or knew that the technology spread to china before europe and the excuses given for why this is the case are especially unconvincing like the dancing with jikji people go to the gutenburg museum and find out that even alleged gutenburg experts know about as little about gutenburgs origin story as anyone else knows about how where the jikji movable type came from we dont even know if gutenburg actually invented it himself or if he was even a real person

*a previous post referred to the title of this documentary as the jikji code because thats the name of the documentary in korean but they changed it to dancing with jikji in english for some reason

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1390759269696421897

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

idk if the jikji is that significant, chinese were using ceramic and metallic movable type hundreds of years earlier than that. Of course I just coincidentally was reading and watching youtubes about this last week. Wiki just says it's the oldest extant product of metallic movable type, not the first.

Chinese invented paper and that works really well with oil based inks and a press, and they'd been doing that to create books since ~1000AD. There were absolutely people looking for tech from asia and paper arriving in europe was a big deal on its own.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

ahaha this thread is a goldmine

strong evidence that anyone who uses "authoritarian" seriously is a clown

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

idk if the jikji is that significant

its not really but the thing is neither is gutenberg like most bad history it just comes down to an overemphasis of great man theory because its much easier to build nationalist heroes and appropriate the contributions of non white history if you pretend like all important historical moments were the outcome of unique genius individuals

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Fuligin posted:

i wish more people had come back :smith:

our martovs

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
channel your inner mongolian

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1390676195352719364?s=19

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
China, be better.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Please use more climate friendly container ships when you send us our consumer crap China

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

People dramatically leaving for BnR and then coming back a week later will never stop being a hilarious bit.
goons who left for BnR and didn't come back just hadn't had their spirits properly broken by years of posting on the forums. a big failure on the part of the mods IMO

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Hedenius posted:

My wife and kids were in China at the time and and we have friends who live in Wuhan so I was hate-reading those threads and getting especially annoyed at the amount of people who took Prester Jane seriously.

lmao pj is always a goldmine

AnimeIsTrash posted:

arfjason's drawing of smarxists' farewell is a masterpiece

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Greta always gets hated on no matter which country she criticises.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
greta's right. china needs to immediately increase prices on all the commodities so they can transition to green quicker being the excuse, thus blowing up global capitalism and ushering in an age of global nuclear wars.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I hope I get to see one go off before my eyeballs melt in my skull

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
All you need to do is print carbon footprint consumption number on every loving thing you buy, so people will quickly realize having things made in 1 place is more green than having things made separately.

Of course it will never happen because this move is so anti consumerism.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Jeep posted:

arfjason's drawing of smarxists' farewell is a masterpiece

Where can I find this masterwork?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

genericnick posted:

Where can I find this masterwork?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3950449&pagenumber=10&perpage=40#post510542873

explanation:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3950449&pagenumber=12&perpage=40#post510549812

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/deepblueruin/status/1390927024378744833

its times like this i shake my hand at the cspam hive mind furious that i couldnt build sufficient interest for the piss polls thread

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

It was only tangentially related to that lol, it was basically because he was too rude to people after having to deal with apparently the latest round of people eating up zenz crap.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Danann posted:

It was only tangentially related to that lol, it was basically because he was too rude to people after having to deal with apparently the latest round of people eating up zenz crap.

to be more specific it was because he kept using phrases like "white leftist" as a pejorative and instead of face their own fragility they just removed him lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

holy loving lol