Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Make sure your finances are in order because you really don’t want to be underwater on a Dutch house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

please knock Mom! posted:

Make sure your finances are in order because you really don’t want to be underwater on a Dutch house

I dunno, seems the sort of thing you can just skate away from.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I’m not kidding about needing enough cheddar but ymmv

Really happy they accepted my bid tbh, my financial advisor is a great guy as well

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I recall some areas in the eurozone getting negative rates on mortgages during the height of the 2008 recession, which was absolutely wild.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

please knock Mom! posted:

DaveSauce posted:

I dunno, seems the sort of thing you can just skate away from.

Just get the sewer inspected; they're prone to clogs

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Third after 8pm salesman trying to sell me a security system. Ok guy you pressed a ring doorbell and walked past a Simplisafe sign to get to my door I already have. Oh I should take the sign down because it makes me more likely to be targeted by thieves that a house without one because the Virgin Simplisafe is nothing compared to the Chad ADT?

Had water softener grifters and an array of others coming to the door regularly which I assume is because they pull the address from county records of house sales and just come knocking but just all of them can get hosed.

I am going to let the Pug loose on the next one.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
OK, but what is the point of advertising your security system? Like, have it, sure, but a sign? Does that deter anyone?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Where the gently caress are you that you have door to door salespeople? Like I haven't had one of those in manye many years.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Maggie Fletcher posted:

OK, but what is the point of advertising your security system? Like, have it, sure, but a sign? Does that deter anyone?

I'd imagine it has more utility as a deterrent effect than actually catching anyone who breaks in, and to be a deterrent, the would-be burglar has to know it's there either from a sign, visible cameras, or an audible alarm. At least this is how I've heard it explained, but I have never bothered looking up anything to back that claim up

tater_salad posted:

Where the gently caress are you that you have door to door salespeople? Like I haven't had one of those in manye many years.

Also yeah, door to door salesmen in covid times what

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
The door to door salesmen have returned; nature is healing

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Some people like to scream “you’re only as secure as your weakest link!” but there are levels of people looking to gently caress around and I can speak from experience that a kid looking to do some petty property damage might stop if they see signage.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I am in Phoenix AZ, the whole sign thing is more to deter anyone looking for a target and go somewhere else but does that work? Who knows? It is the fact that three legacy hardwired installers have cold called and each have basically called me moron for going with their competitor as if negging me will make me buy from them and not tell them to gently caress off.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

gwrtheyrn posted:

I'd imagine it has more utility as a deterrent effect than actually catching anyone who breaks in, and to be a deterrent, the would-be burglar has to know it's there either from a sign, visible cameras, or an audible alarm. At least this is how I've heard it explained, but I have never bothered looking up anything to back that claim up

The Dave posted:

Some people like to scream “you’re only as secure as your weakest link!” but there are levels of people looking to gently caress around and I can speak from experience that a kid looking to do some petty property damage might stop if they see signage.

Actually, you guys are probably right. I have seen Ring videos where the guy visually sees the camera and runs away, so yeah, I could see the point of signage. Most property crimes are ones of opportunity, right?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If you don’t want to get robbed, get a dog. The security system is nice and everything, but even dumb as rocks thieves know to be frightened of a dog.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just get a dog period

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I always love when I get a door-to-door salesman that just doesn’t take “thanks but no thanks” (multiple times) for an answer and insists on continuing with his pitch, and then has the audacity to be mad at me when he wastes ten minutes of his own time.

Non-D2D sales question: if my property tax appraisal comes in less than what I bought my home for, I really shouldn’t try to protest it, right?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Oh yeah we have 2 dogs, they make a lot of noise but wouldn’t hurt anyone. The Pug is a great alarm dog since that is what they were bred for thousands of years ago in China to do. Also the whole story about Pugs saving William of Orange (William III King of England) from assassins since the little shits went ballistic at stranger entering his chambers in the middle of the night.

Mainly just annoyed as I want to be left alone and not sold poo poo I don’t want and don’t need door to door security salesmen telling me that I wasted my money and to give them money instead. The guy last night even told me that I could still send my current system back and buy ADT from him :fuckoff:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Gin_Rummy posted:

I always love when I get a door-to-door salesman that just doesn’t take “thanks but no thanks” (multiple times) for an answer and insists on continuing with his pitch, and then has the audacity to be mad at me when he wastes ten minutes of his own time.

Doors close, cut them off, tell them to have a good day, then close the door.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ok, hopefully getting to the end of floor chat, just seeing if there are goon suggestions. There's an annoying haze / film on lots of areas, especially near a transition where the POs had an area rug.

I've tried a bunch of products with no luck. It does come up when you rub a fingernail on it... but I don't know if I'm taking off the haze, or the actual finish. I'll try ammonia window cleaner next, that's all I can think of before I give up. Sanding would be the last resort and I'm not going to go that far in this case, but maybe someday.

It's quite a bit more noticeable IRL than in photos :smith:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Gin_Rummy posted:

At this point I’ll just be passive aggressive and not come to the door, even when it’s clear we’re home, especially if I see them walking around with an iPad. They’re trained to keep talking and do anything to get in the door, so it’s easiest to just not open it in the first place.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

At this point I’ll just be passive aggressive and not come to the door, even when it’s clear we’re home, especially if I see them walking around with an iPad. They’re trained to keep talking and do anything to get in the door, so it’s easiest to just not open it in the first place.

It's worth checking into your local ordinances about door to door solicitation. In mine and many others near here they have to have a permit or it's considered trespassing. With the proper signage at your driveway it's trespassing even if they have the permit.

We used to get a lot of door to door idiots riding segways and poo poo and putting the sign out stopped it entirely.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I grew up in a super high crime area where pretty much every house on our street was broken into at some point except for ours and our neighbors across the street. Both our houses had those classic "Beware of Dog" signs. I think we also had a pilfered ADT sticker in a front window too. Most of the time we didn't even have a dog, and when we did she was all bark and nothing to actually beware of. We never had an alarm or monitoring of any kind.

For what it's worth, my immediate neighbors were waging a harassment campaign on me and it ended the day I told them "you know I have video of all movement in front of my drat door, right?" (Ring camera they looked right loving at and didn't recognize.) The dog poop porch dropping stopped then and there. Where we're moving is very low crime and my husband will likely get mad if I get a beware of dog sign because he thinks its trashy, so I was planning on getting one of those cheesy solar light up ring signs that amazon will gladly sell you. I figure then the next time some idiot wants to vandalize someplace or snatch a package they have notice they're on camera and maybe reconsider. A+ would recommend doorbell cameras for home security, with some signage for morons.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Motronic posted:

It's worth checking into your local ordinances about door to door solicitation. In mine and many others near here they have to have a permit or it's considered trespassing. With the proper signage at your driveway it's trespassing even if they have the permit.

We used to get a lot of door to door idiots riding segways and poo poo and putting the sign out stopped it entirely.

One of the prior owners put a little "No solicitation" plaque near the doorbell, and apparently this part of MontCo that's binding. I'll see guys come up, pause, and walk off without ringing it. Works for me!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Y'know what? I'll take it. Maybe I'll just hang something over it someday in the future. http://imgur.com/a/F18IgCG

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MJP posted:

Y'know what? I'll take it. Maybe I'll just hang something over it someday in the future. http://imgur.com/a/F18IgCG

I can't see it. Which mean nobody other than you will ever know it's there. Good job.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MJP posted:

Nice work!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

MJP posted:

That came out really well. Nice job!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

MJP posted:

You give me hope for myself MJP, nicely done!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can see it if you're in person and in a 90 degree angle in front of it. It's a visible bump. I just kept using the Bondo I had rather than spend $30 on the other stuff that I'd use exactly this time only.

At least it's not the ugly old light fixture that was there anymore.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Yeah, at this point in my life as soon as I verify that the visitor is trying to sell me a product or service, I close the door. I got no time for them, and anyone who can afford to pay salespeople isn't gonna give me the value of someone who doesn't pay salespeople.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Put up a no soliciting sign earlier and just will answer the door using the ring doorbell so I can tell them to go away without getting up.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Motronic posted:

I can't see it. Which mean nobody other than you will ever know it's there. Good job.

This, I notice a lot of poo poo in my house I now others cant' really recognize / see.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've got a wide gap between tile and aluminum porch enclosure. I don't want to grout over it in hopes of cleanly having the enclosure removed one day. Caulk works, but it's taking a whole lotta caulk to fill the gap - could I just fill with weather stripping and caulk over it?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

MJP posted:

I've got a wide gap between tile and aluminum porch enclosure. I don't want to grout over it in hopes of cleanly having the enclosure removed one day. Caulk works, but it's taking a whole lotta caulk to fill the gap - could I just fill with weather stripping and caulk over it?

Yes, round backer rod (a.k.a. gap filler, foam rod) then the caulk.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sounds like your caulk is just not large enough to fill that gap son

e: Can't remember if I've asked this before. What are people's feelings on ceiling fans, worth installing in place of a light fixture or nah?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 10, 2021

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Quoted $26,520 for a 12x20 trex deck 4 feet off the ground :chanpop:

Just catching up on the thread. Sorry to tear open old wounds and rub salt in them but holy poo poo does that make me happy our house had a recently completed trex front porch when we moved in.

Also makes me completely terrified of doing a trex back porch in 5 years or so.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That is more than I am paying for a 10kw solar system install put the door.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The second quote was only $22k :smuggo:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BigPaddy posted:

That is more than I am paying for a 10kw solar system install put the door.

What'd you end up going with for solar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

skipdogg posted:

What'd you end up going with for solar?

375w panels, micro controller per panel, single inverter and no battery. I should be around net $0 over the year on my power bills once it is up and running. Most of the installers were around the same price per watt but it really came down to going over reviews etc... and which ones would give me the manufacturers rebates rather than try to keep them for themselves.