Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rhyno posted:

Non Americans get all up in arms about Squirrel and Girl, this is no biggie.

I've one of the few British accents where those two still rhyme, though both sound nothing like how Americans say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Lobok posted:

After I grew out of playing with action figures I would look back on those commercials and think "why didn't anyone sell the loving cubes?!"

Ghostlight posted:

nah I was all about the ones that look like a fake brick wall

You mean like this?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
It was known, in the 80s, that entire populations would rise up in revolution based on a single song. It was a magical time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

GPTribefan posted:

Sounds like someone’s never heard the absolute banger “Cold Slither”

https://youtu.be/bnM-u7rZwtI
Good lord, that's still seared into my head. Which makes sense I guess since it was a mind control scheme.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensation Comics #1 (1942)

Web of Spider-Man #9 (2010)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Twisted Toyfare Theatre was one of the funniest things I had ever read at the time. Still holds up honestly.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I still have so much of that at home.
The funniest thing was how they used to have DC toys in their early strips, until WB told them that they couldn't make jokes about Batman and Superman.
They then had to edit reprints of these old strips to either remove the DC guys or just not reprint them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Weren't the old straps full of misogyny and homophobia?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

It was on the internet in the late 90s/early 2000s so by default yes.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

The Question IRL posted:

I still have so much of that at home.
The funniest thing was how they used to have DC toys in their early strips, until WB told them that they couldn't make jokes about Batman and Superman.
They then had to edit reprints of these old strips to either remove the DC guys or just not reprint them.

Batman? Who’s Batman? I think you mean Pumpkin Man

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, there's definitely some of that, but I wouldn't say full. I didn't include the next two panels because my understanding of what is and isn't homophobic isn't especially fine tuned and I didn't want to offend anyone.

There's a funny Vindicator pun and then something about how Northstar used to be a mythical fairy but now he's just gay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd wager a stroll through old Wizards would not be all that pleasant. Lots of "LoL gay" in those pages.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #11 (1944)

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane #17 (2007)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Darthemed posted:

Green Lantern #11 (1944)

Okay, so I know Alan Scott's ring doesn't work on wood, but is he somehow physically weakened to wood too?

I'm imagining him being taken down with a thrown handful of matches now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Thor & Loki - Double Trouble #3: Due to shenanigans, Thor and Loki have fallen into an unknown dimension.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

If you ever played Sunset Riders, do you remember in the first level when you had to run on top of a couple of cattle stampedes?

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
From Don Rosa's Scrooge McDuck in "Hearts of the Yukon"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Okay, that got me. Wonderful!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Elissimpark posted:

Okay, so I know Alan Scott's ring doesn't work on wood, but is he somehow physically weakened to wood too?

I'm imagining him being taken down with a thrown handful of matches now.

One of his big enemies is a dude with a baseball bat

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I don't really understand it here, but one thing I do like about modern Marvel is that they didn't just move on from Jane Foster Thor. In other eras of Marvel it would've been relegated to a weird forgotten footnote that you see on a wiki page and go 'wait, what'. But no, they're serious about letting her be a big, acknowledged deal and let it keep coming up, it's great.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s not regular continuity. Jane is the new Valkyrie. It’s cool, but not as cool as her being Thor with beautiful Dauterman covers.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bruceski posted:

Okay, that got me. Wonderful!

Yeah, that's wonderful pacing and comic timing! I have one of the Rosa collections and it's decent, I keep meaning to pick up the missing Barks books I don't have, too.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I'm not super familiar with Donald Duck comics, and for a moment I was wondering when Robert Crumb had started doing Disney stuff.

Gonna have to check out some Don Rosa, I guess.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Retro Futurist posted:

One of his big enemies is a dude with a baseball bat

There is a great Batman arc by Ed Brubacker called Made of Wood.

It's about a person killing people and carving the words "Made of Wood." And Batman and Green Lantern have to investigate .

The story was about how one time Alan Scott got the poo poo kicked out of him by the Sportsman using a baseball bat.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Elissimpark posted:

I'm not super familiar with Donald Duck comics, and for a moment I was wondering when Robert Crumb had started doing Disney stuff.

Gonna have to check out some Don Rosa, I guess.

the don rosa scrooge mcduck comics are genuinely one of the highest-esteemed and liked series out there

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
This is the part where I plug Fantagraphics's 10-volume set of Rosa's complete Duck comics.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cleretic posted:

That was the usual game plan for the 80s 'glorified toy commercial' cartoons. The U.S. wouldn't legally let you air a cartoon that's just an ad for the toy, but you could make a comic book that's a glorified toy commercial and then make a cartoon that's an adaptation of the comic.

The fun part was that, since the comics themselves were basically a perfunctory interim step that only needed to exist and that's it, they let the comics artists and writers do whatever they wanted. And because comics had a much smaller cost to produce than an animated cartoon, a lot of the comics kept running because 'eh, gently caress it, it's still making money'.

I think G.I. Joe's comics outlasted the cartoon (I know the action figures lasted long enough to cross over with Street Fighter 2), but I know that both the original Transformers and Sonic the Hedgehog comics long outlasted their shows.

That led to the fun tagline on the final Marvel issue of Transformers, touting it as "#80 In A Four Issue Limited Series"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

That led to the fun tagline on the final Marvel issue of Transformers, touting it as "#80 In A Four Issue Limited Series"

That wasn't due to the cartoon. That was because the series was launched as a four issue limited series complete with the trade dress of "# in a four issue limited series". Then at the end of issue four, Shockwave kills all of the Autobots and they go on to issue five. It was the talk of my elementary school back in the day...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lama #6 (1945)

I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets! (2007)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

I don't think dudes that look like that would be very good spies, not sure they'd fit in anywhere but like, the zoo.

I love stardust stuff, its all so weird and often strangely mean-spirited.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I don't think dudes that look like that would be very good spies, not sure they'd fit in anywhere but like, the zoo.

I love stardust stuff, its all so weird and often strangely mean-spirited.
There's a like, 60% chance they looked normal before Stardust got to them.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Darthemed posted:

I just love that they seemed more pissed off than scared of the skeletons. “Goddamit, I can’t believe I have to look at these stupid loving skeletons.”

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I just love that they seemed more pissed off than scared of the skeletons. “Goddamit, I can’t believe I have to look at these stupid loving skeletons.”

The skeletons don't look too happy, either. Just needs one of them checking their watch.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It also doesn't say its projection of skeletons of people they killed, but the actual thing. So presumably he robbed a few graves just to have an attempt of giving some killers the equivalent of a children's time out to think about what they've done.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Zaodai posted:

It also doesn't say its projection of skeletons of people they killed, but the actual thing. So presumably he robbed a few graves just to have an attempt of giving some killers the equivalent of a children's time out to think about what they've done.

Far from the most petty thing Stardust has ever done.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Random Stranger posted:

That wasn't due to the cartoon. That was because the series was launched as a four issue limited series complete with the trade dress of "# in a four issue limited series". Then at the end of issue four, Shockwave kills all of the Autobots and they go on to issue five. It was the talk of my elementary school back in the day...

Which in turn led to one of the most badass covers of all time on issue 5:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The original Transformers miniseries came out before the TV show, so all the character designs were based on their toys, rather than the TV models that in at least some cases didn't match the toys at all. Ironhide, for instance, was drawn to look like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Darthemed posted:

Green Lama #6 (1945)

Yes, nothing puts the taste of shame and humiliation into your mouth like soy beans.