Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah you can really cheese the poo poo out of him if you want to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Are there any must-have fan patches for Arcanum, like with Kotor 2 or VtM:Bloodlines?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's no such thing as cheese in Dark Souls. Any method that gets to the end of the game is considered fair.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Resident Evil 8 is good. It's on rails for a while at first (probably not to overwhelm a new player) but when the castle finally opens up it's pretty sweet.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's no such thing as cheese in Dark Souls. Any method that gets to the end of the game is considered fair.

I don't disagree only that as a person who found a way to cheese as much as possible, it makes the harder parts you can't cheese muuuuuuuch harder. If you learn the lessons the game wants you to learn, everything goes more smoothly. Not easily, but smoothly.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Lesson (X) of Dark Souls: If it does damage once, it can do damage a thousand times.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

pospysyl posted:

Are there any must-have fan patches for Arcanum, like with Kotor 2 or VtM:Bloodlines?

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Arcanum#Essential_improvements

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Cheese in Dark Souls? It's called using a shield :smug:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I actually pulled the trigger on Hood on account of a friend's urging and... it was actually pretty alright? I haven't really run into any glitchy backstabs so far, since regular attacks track a lot and being in an attack animation seems to provide some protection. Even against the dedicated assassin class I seemed to win more often than not just by pre-emptively hammering her in the face.

It is true though that the stealth aspect is only marginally present in the first half of a round. Raising an alarm is not really much of a big deal, and with few exceptions you can pretty much just carve through NPC guards face-first as long as you stick together. Once the loot gets grabbed it proceeds to basically a full-on king of the hill style deathmatch. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, we've had a few really fun tight moments trying to winch the loot to safety while desperately keeping the enemy away just one more second.

That said, we've only been at it for a few hours, so who knows how it'll turn out in the longer term. :shrug:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm reasonably sure the basic steam release already has both the official and unofficial patch? The reflect spell cancellation glitch is unavailable, for instance, and I'm pretty confident that's an unofficial patch thing.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Finally got a chance to try the slipways demo and drat did it suck me in for a few hours.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

buglord posted:

Is it weird that the dude in full kit heavy armor with a giant dragon claw for a weapon was harder for me than the final boss? You know the guy, he hides behind a door in a little tower and smashes the hell out of you.

not sure if harder is the right word, but I spent more time stubbornly trying to kill that dude than the final boss.

Getting into spoiler territory here, but it totally makes sense. The age of fire and the deities' power was coming to an end as the first flame burnt out. After every other attempt failed, Gwynn in a last ditch effort tried to prolong the age of fire by fueling the first flame with his own humanity. He's basically a burnt out hollow by the time the player gets there. The player meanwhile has been amassing humanity by collecting the souls of Gwynn's family, friends and court :drac:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 8, 2021

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bees x1000 posted:

After being blown away by 13 Sentinels I've thought about trying some VN's, and reading stuff like this puts Muv-Luv at the top of the list. But I'm worried that crossing this line will result in the Steam algorithm sentencing me to anime hell.

If you don't mind some puzzle solving mixed in with your visual novel, you may want to check out the Zero Escape series. The 3rd game in the series falls a bit short of what it could have been if it wasn't for budget limitations, imo, but the 1st game is quite a good mystery and the 2nd game is kind of bonkers in how involved it gets.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Bofast posted:

If you don't mind some puzzle solving mixed in with your visual novel, you may want to check out the Zero Escape series. The 3rd game in the series falls a bit short of what it could have been if it wasn't for budget limitations, imo, but the 1st game is quite a good mystery and the 2nd game is kind of bonkers in how involved it gets.

One warning on Zero Escape: they're great games and I highly recommend playing them, but close to everything on the internet is a spoiler. Like, I straight-up can't find a way to google the name of one of the trilogy without seeing something that gives something away. So if you decide to give these a try, be super-duper careful about googling or reading about them in advance.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Omi no Kami posted:

One warning on Zero Escape: they're great games and I highly recommend playing them, but close to everything on the internet is a spoiler. Like, I straight-up can't find a way to google the name of one of the trilogy without seeing something that gives something away. So if you decide to give these a try, be super-duper careful about googling or reading about them in advance.

Is it worth it to try and play them on their original platforms or are the PC versions good? I remember they started out on DS or 3DS, so I wonder if there were any compromises in porting them to normal single screen devices.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

pairofdimes posted:

Is it worth it to try and play them on their original platforms or are the PC versions good? I remember they started out on DS or 3DS, so I wonder if there were any compromises in porting them to normal single screen devices.

999 is the only game with any particularly (DS) hardware-based gimmicks, and even then only really one scene right at the end of the game. It's a really neat effect though. On the other hand, the PC version has some significant QoL improvements that will cut down on the time you waste having to replay chunks of the game to reach that ending.

The other two parts of the trilogy are just fine on whatever platform.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"Hey, Yu, it turns out Shenmue I wasn't the smash hit we thought, maybe it was too niche of an appeal. What's on deck for Shenmue II?"

:japan: "My greatness cannot be diminished"

:japan: "In this, players will be required to work part time jobs every day in order to afford their rent. Through this everyone will recognize that nothing could be better then simulating the monotony of working to survive."

"....................."

Yeah, so, Shenmue II is starting off worse in almost every conceivable way the Shenmue 1. Some of the npc faces are so badly animated it looks like a Photoshop where the artists just manually moved the jaw up and down to approximate face movement.

The cities sections are massive but, literally nothing to do since you need to work a part time job (of which there is only 1) for money you need to pay the rent while you are trying to explore the sprawling city without getting lost and find the clues you need.

I'm not loving doing that. Cheat Engine, make number go up.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
Looking forward to your reaction to disk 3 of that game.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

coward

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

pentyne posted:

Legitimately curious how many hours of gameplay this is gonna carve off for you.

Spoilers for 3: doing this in 3 will make it sub-10 hours and I'm being generous

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

MonkeyforaHead posted:

999 is the only game with any particularly (DS) hardware-based gimmicks, and even then only really one scene right at the end of the game. It's a really neat effect though. On the other hand, the PC version has some significant QoL improvements that will cut down on the time you waste having to replay chunks of the game to reach that ending.

The other two parts of the trilogy are just fine on whatever platform.

That's good to hear, it's a lot easier/cheaper to get it all at once on Steam than hunting down cartridges.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

pentyne posted:

"Hey, Yu, it turns out Shenmue I wasn't the smash hit we thought, maybe it was too niche of an appeal. What's on deck for Shenmue II?"

:japan: "My greatness cannot be diminished"

:japan: "In this, players will be required to work part time jobs every day in order to afford their rent. Through this everyone will recognize that nothing could be better then simulating the monotony of working to survive."

"....................."

Yeah, so, Shenmue II is starting off worse in almost every conceivable way the Shenmue 1. Some of the npc faces are so badly animated it looks like a Photoshop where the artists just manually moved the jaw up and down to approximate face movement.

The cities sections are massive but, literally nothing to do since you need to work a part time job (of which there is only 1) for money you need to pay the rent while you are trying to explore the sprawling city without getting lost and find the clues you need.

I feel like am intervention is required.

Pentyne, put the shenmue down. You're worrying us.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
:japan:"Hello, I need to meet with the kung fu master I have traveled all this way for. Where is this honorable man"

:comfysamus: "You hold much resentment and impatience, why do you desire this meeting?"

:japan: "SHUT THE gently caress UP YOU DUMB BROAD! drat old man, why you let this female talk to martial artists like that?"

:china: "She is the kung fu master you are asking for"

Of course there is no consqeunce for this, since Ryo Hazuki is the destined hero or whatever it said in the Shenmue 1 credits, but he shows up, gets completely shut down by her, and then made to run around and do chores since all he did was yell about needing to kill Lan Di.

Uh, buddy, you've got 1/2 of a jade mirror set that legend says will unleash the monster that destroys the Earth, why do you not start with that?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Speaking of whacky pseudo-life-simulator games, I wish the disaster survival genre would come back. In the early-mid 2000s there were a bunch of Japanese games, mostly on the PS2, that were about ridiculous survival scenarios. Disaster Report and Raw Danger are hilariously bad games that probably pioneered the genre, but I remember there being a few others - one set on a sinking cruise ship, another being about a fire in a massive skyscraper. They all had common traits of multiple characters, hilarious contrivances to put the characters in absurd situations, and really entertaining (if not good) character relationships/development. I feel like reviving this genre and crossing it over with modern adventure games could actually be really good. I think it could be a lot more interesting than generic horror villain revenge plot #95.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

K8.0 posted:

Speaking of whacky pseudo-life-simulator games, I wish the disaster survival genre would come back. In the early-mid 2000s there were a bunch of Japanese games, mostly on the PS2, that were about ridiculous survival scenarios. Disaster Report and Raw Danger are hilariously bad games that probably pioneered the genre, but I remember there being a few others - one set on a sinking cruise ship, another being about a fire in a massive skyscraper. They all had common traits of multiple characters, hilarious contrivances to put the characters in absurd situations, and really entertaining (if not good) character relationships/development. I feel like reviving this genre and crossing it over with modern adventure games could actually be really good. I think it could be a lot more interesting than generic horror villain revenge plot #95.

Actually Disaster Report is a good as hell series

Uh, maybe except for City Shrouded in Shadow, which is disappointing considering you're trying to survive straight up Ultraman and Evangelion attacks

DR4 is probably even more jank than DR1 also but lol

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

pairofdimes posted:

The first game, usually referred to as 999, did use the DS hardware in an unexpected way. I never thought of it as such a big deal, although some people did, but the PC version has updated visuals and adds voice acting and some quality of life features so I would just go with the PC version.
Edit: you might want to keep pen and paper handy while playing the second game. It expects you to take notes on a few things in order to be able to advance the plot so it even included note taking in-game on, but it's easier to just write it yourself IRL.

Bofast fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 8, 2021

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I want to play a game with good exploration. Preferably in a ship or spaceship or something, but not confined to that, and where the ship is an actual thing that develops in some way over the course of the game. I want to find weird supernatural mysteries or ancient alien artifacts or something.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I want to play a game with good exploration. Preferably in a ship or spaceship or something, but not confined to that, and where the ship is an actual thing that develops in some way over the course of the game. I want to find weird supernatural mysteries or ancient alien artifacts or something.

Outer Wilds would fit that almost perfctly, to the point where you've probably already played it. But if you haven't, absolutely do give it a try, it's excellent. Apart from that, No Man's Sky is also in a very decent shape by now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Subnautica? Has all of that but a lesser focus on the space ships (there are wrecks). There's a newer game trying to pass itself off as "Subnautica but in space!" which sounded killer until everyone found out the game itself was bad. Most exploration games have you exploring new areas rather than reinforcing old ones, so that's a hard request.

edit: Obra Dinn is a literal ship mystery that develops as you explore it (with a supernatural twist!), which matches what you wrote but perhaps not the moment-to-moment gameplay that's implied with exploration games.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

pairofdimes posted:

Both versions are fine- I played it on the DS and had no problem, and I bought the Steam version for the sequel and was 100% pleased with the few hours I played of 999. The main thing to note is that the PC version has one tremendous QoL change: all three Zero Escape games are full of bad ends or story sections that dead-end, and a big part of gameplay is figuring out what's going on, and what you need to do to progress. The PC version of 999 backported the flowchart that the other games use, so you never waste any time- if you hit a dead end, you can just load up the flowchart, jump back to a branch point, and make a different decision.

In the DS version this isn't a thing- you had to make a manual save at every branch point and keep notes, and figuring out some stuff was such an exercise in frustration that everyone I know who played it just told me the bit that everyone got stuck on and how to get past it.

So go with whatever's there- I'd probably lean towards PC just for the flowchart feature, but if you're on the fence it might be worth giving the DS version a shot first just to see if the writing and game structure appeal to you.

While we're talking Zero Escape, I have a question for anyone who's finished the PC remaster (spoilers and poo poo, don't read this pairofdimes):

How did they adapt that one thing where you had to physically turn the DS upside-down? I loving loved that scene, and thought it was legit one of the most brilliant things in the game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's nothing quite like obra dinn so it should be recommended if it is even vaguely relevant.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
DS 999's lack of flowchart (which was just how VNs outside of 428 were at the time, assuming 428 came out first I can't remember) wouldn't have been so bad if it had seen text skip, but alas

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Prey
Dead Space
Outer Wilds
The Solus Project

Special mention to:
Hadean Lands which is text-based but has absolutely everything you listed as well as being excellent in its own right.

of course:
Obra Dinn

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 8, 2021

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Freelancer if you want to go old school. Stellaris has a great exploration phase with tons of events.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Outer Wilds definitely fits the bill of mystery, space, etc. Very fun game. Try to avoid spoilers.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

…I really want to play this again. It ruled.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Antigravitas posted:

…I really want to play this again. It ruled.

A sailing sim to rival Sid Meier's Pirates

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bitches don't know about my byggbåtar

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Capra Demon says hi to a dozen firebombs in the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Pulsar: Lost Colony would fit the bill although the "development" of the ship is limited to what you can afford to equip on it and it's very much intended as a multiplayer game for ~3-5 people.