Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Happy Thread posted:

Never bother mining ores or gems

I can't, the only ore I outright ignore is tin, because gently caress tin. But if I see Iron or Gold or Tungsten, I just gotta mine it, despite having 100 bars of each in my chest.

And yeah I have a big chest warehouse, when it seemed like I was talking about a singular chest, I meant my chest dedicated to tools. I've got about 14 other chests for all my other crap. If I put workstations in my warehouse (anvil, workbench, etc), does it access ALL items in the chest, even if I don't have the chests open?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Only whichever you have open at the time.
I tend to make a 2-level "workshop" with all the crafting stations in a row, and chests containing their relevant materials above on platforms just in opening reach.

So I'll have the anvil and furnace next to each other, and directly above my characters head a chest or two with all my ores and whatever else combines with ores.

Also lets me just run down the corridor, mashing "quick stack to chests" whenever i come back from an expedition.

MR. J fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 5, 2021

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really need to renovate my house but it's such a huge undertaking, having the chest room by the entrance would be so much nicer. I built it hodge podge from the start just to get up and running, and now it's a rat's nest of rooms and junk. Plus, my brain just doesn't compute creative things, so it's hard to get started on the renovation project when I know it'll end up being a gross boxy blister on the surface.

I also really wish it was any chests in the vicinity, rather than the one open.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, relocating chests is a pain in the rear end. I made myself do it by changing up my organizing system, so I just had a row of chests with a hodgepodge of building materials, and then set up a nicer room with chests dedicaded to specific materials, like one for all wood things, one for stones and dirt, etc, which let me rationalize emptying out the former to fill up the latter. Same for accessories, where I'd just put down a new chest when the former filled up, and I set up a dedicated accessory room with a chest for offense-boosting ones, defensive ones, etc.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
The trick to chest organization is to not do it all in one go unless you can really focus like that.
Just make a new storeroom, rename the chests so they're organized, and whenever you take something out to use from the old storeroom, put it in its new designated location when done. Eventually you'll empty things out enough it will no longer be daunting when the thought does come across to move the rest over.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also at some point in time you'll realise you have more than one chest full of nothing but dirt.

You can throw it out, it's ok. It's just dirt.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just trash every single item that isn't in your hotbar.

Actually I wonder, is it possible? Are the 10 inventory slots enough to beat the entire game with? Allowing for the special equipment/coin/ammo slots

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Memento posted:

Also at some point in time you'll realise you have more than one chest full of nothing but dirt.

You have no idea how much dirt blocks sell for overseas.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Memento posted:

what no, what if i need to craft an artificial biome someday? like a mile-long strip of glowing mushroom grass?

Happy Thread posted:

Just trash every single item that isn't in your hotbar.

Actually I wonder, is it possible? Are the 10 inventory slots enough to beat the entire game with? Allowing for the special equipment/coin/ammo slots

I'm sure you could. Keep a weapon and a pickaxe, probably a hammer and a stack of potions, and you can get by. Crafting would be a pain in the rear end, but most of the stuff you'll make only requires 2 or 3 ingredients.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

what no, what if i need to craft an artificial biome someday? like a mile-long strip of glowing mushroom grass?

Glowing mushroom grass grows on mud blocks, not dirt

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah but you can craft mud from dirt if you have a sink or a puddle of water.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Wait, really?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

GodFish posted:

Wait, really?

yeah there are lots of recipes that you can do while being in water or near a sink that basically amount to "add water"

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's my understanding level of cooking too

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I fought the Queen Bee, it's the most prolonged and frustrating fight ever because they spend so much time offscreen. Being the absolute moron I am, I quick-stacked before venturing into the jungle, and it turns out I quick-stacked all my healing potions. So I'm there, fighting the Queen Bee, doing alright but she's slowly chipping down my health. I figure I can make it, she's <10% hp and I've got two or three full hearts, I've got it in the bag.

Then outta nowhere, I die, cause I was so eager to kill her I didn't bother wiping out the last swarm of baby bees. The pain that hit me was indescribable, I'd just wasted 15 minutes chipping down her health, only to die when she was at 100 or so HP. I just stare at the respawn timer and she flies off, but right as she hits the edge of the screen, she dies. The luck I have, that one of my fire arrows was able to finish the job through burn damage. But boy is fighting her not fun in the slightest.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Qubee posted:

I fought the Queen Bee, it's the most prolonged and frustrating fight ever because they spend so much time offscreen. Being the absolute moron I am, I quick-stacked before venturing into the jungle, and it turns out I quick-stacked all my healing potions.
Lock things you don't want quick stacked?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

if you favorite an item, it won't get quick stacked. good for things like stacks of potions that you always want to keep on hand! :eng101:

queen bee is an okay fight imo, and her drops are thematically some of my favorite in the game. am always sad to finally outgrow them

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DOTs are great.

Did you build an arena for the fight? It's kinda risky with Queen Bee because it's easy to trigger her by accident, but clearing some space and setting up several levels of platforms can help when it comes to avoiding the bees and her charge. The confined weird spaces in the hives are probably the hardest part.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I lock / favourite items? I saw the padlock icon but that locks my hotbar and I don't like keeping healing pots there, I just use H to quick heal (I don't keep tools on my hotbar either, I just use shift to context what I need, it's great and leaves space for lots of weapons and utility items). And yeah, I built a crappy arena which consisted of two platform levels, gave me enough space to run and dodge and hookshot out the way. First time I fought her was in the hive and I regretted it as soon as she started hitting me. I really wanted to get her mount, but it didn't drop. So I guess I gotta grind out a bunch of fights with her.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

alt-click if you're playing kb/m! :) I don't know what it is on controller.

also, if you can set up an arena in the hive itself, keep in mind a quick dip in the honey gives you a regen buff!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Awesome, thanks. Never going to run into the issue of accidentally stacking stuff I use again. I'm also doing Skeletron today, I want access to the dungeon so I can grind bones to make a void bag and vault, cause spelunking sucks hard due to how quick I get full. I just have no clue if I'm ready yet to take Skeletron on, I've got full Crimonite armour and weapons, so :shrug:

Beat Skeletron, super fun. Dungeon is also amazing. I get to make a void bag and vault now. Thanks so much for the favourite keybinding, it lets me organize my stuff and prevents it from getting sorted during autosort, which is 10/10

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 7, 2021

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
arena is important for queen bee, you want rows of platforms to easily dodge their left/right dashes, and wide enough that you can still damage them while she's hanging out on the left and right sides pre-dashing.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't think a full arena is really necessary, unless the hive is super small I usually just build two or three layers of platforms and jump between them as needed to avoid the dash, and dropping into the honey for a second whenever the buff gets close to expiring. It also helps to throw in a heart lantern and/or campfire to stack the regen bonus.

What equipment are you running? If you've cleared a meteor or two you should have the resources to build a phaseblade which should easily keep the mini-bees off you, and a magic gun or a minishark with meteor bullets to deal with the queen. The harpoon and spiked balls from the goblin invasion are also pretty good.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I make a sky highway that I use for the Twins (while fighting on a mount) and a multiple platform arena for other fights.

(I did build an underground jungle arena for Plantera and discovered that building while dodging hornets was tougher than Plantera itself.)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My underground jungle farm for Lost Girls ended up spawning enough Life Fruit to get me to 500hp and then it spawned a Plantera bulb. Turns out with a few platforms it was the perfect arena to fight the boss as well. The Golem room was really small, but I drained all my buff potions and got that done. Killed Fishron with a Terra Blade projectile just as I died and got the least useful drops. Killed the Lunatic Cultist with Beetle armour on. Did 3/4 of the pillars and made myself a Solar Eruption.

Still don't have a metal detector.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm up to two since I started keeping a summon or two around. I still haven't actually found a lost girl yet, but somehow I've killed enough that I've been able to find multiple metal detectors just lying around when I'm shuffling through the random drops from off-screen kills.

My advice: do that. It also helps if you're playing on console and wearing nebula armor, because your summons will leave little glowing beacons where they've killed something.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

kvx687 posted:

I don't think a full arena is really necessary, unless the hive is super small I usually just build two or three layers of platforms and jump between them as needed to avoid the dash, and dropping into the honey for a second whenever the buff gets close to expiring. It also helps to throw in a heart lantern and/or campfire to stack the regen bonus.

What equipment are you running? If you've cleared a meteor or two you should have the resources to build a phaseblade which should easily keep the mini-bees off you, and a magic gun or a minishark with meteor bullets to deal with the queen. The harpoon and spiked balls from the goblin invasion are also pretty good.

full arena is absolutely necessary in master mode

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I always felt like arenas were a detriment to Terraria. Fighting a boss au naturel vs spending an hour building an arena to completely cheese that boss doesn't make the boss more challenging. It's just more busywork.

But then I don't have any better idea for it. It just looks and feels bad.

Maybe spawning a boss should teleport you into a boss fighting room and then the difficulty of the bosses can be balanced around that rooms design.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Katt posted:

I always felt like arenas were a detriment to Terraria. Fighting a boss au naturel vs spending an hour building an arena to completely cheese that boss doesn't make the boss more challenging. It's just more busywork.

Maybe spawning a boss should teleport you into a boss fighting room and then the difficulty of the bosses can be balanced around that rooms design.

I kind of feel that hard mode bosses need arenas. If I recall correctly when hard mode was introduced they were designed do they needed to be taken down in multiplayer. Players creating elaborate arenas with health Regen was in response to that.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, everything up through Wall of Flesh I've been able to do without an arena, and in the cases where I've built one (That wasn't just slapping platforms in the middle of a Crimson chasm ulcer or building a hellbridge), it's usually not been worth the effort. Has been for the hardmode bosses, though, everything up through Plantera would be absolutely miserable without an arena, then Golem, Cultist and Pillars either actively discourage an arena or don't need one, and then you're right back to needing an arena for Moon Lord.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Katt posted:

half of the benefit of building the arena is also fighting the mobs in that biome to get their drops for your completionism brain-worm, so it's got that going for it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've never managed to successfully build an arena. I tried setting up one that was just a series of platforms allowing free vertical movement, with a bunch of items giving regen auras, and any boss I tried to fight there would either tear me up, or I'd be geared up high enough that I could beat them without it. Only boss it helped against was the Destroyer, and there I just used the roof and could see exactly where he was moving underground because that was an open room. Plus I'd found a Medusa head, which deals extreme damage to that specific boss and has been nerfed for that reason in the PC version.

Other bosses I managed to beat by building an "arena" that was just a big loop of railroad tracks, which made most of their attacks miss because I was constantly moving, and I could hit them by firing blindly in their direction. I still have no idea how to actually fight the final boss, but can beat it fairly reliably by never being on the same screen as it.

Plantera I just beat by digging out enough tunnels that I can move in a big circle and never have to move directly towards or past her.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

there's probably disconnect in terms of what anyone considers to be an arena, so i'll just say that most boss fights will benefit from laying down a few rows of platforms, and depending on the boss and the difficulty, you may want to excavate and include things like honey to dip into, regen aura items, and that statue that gives you defense. some people may encourage building traps as part of an arena as well, but i only find that useful for the events.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't really like the premise of arenas, but it seems to be the only way to successfully defeat bosses, because mobility in this game (early on) is pretty bad, so you need all the advantage you can get to avoid their attacks. I don't think I'll use arenas later in the game when I have decent mobility from wings / whatever. It definitely feels more rewarding just defeating the boss on their own turf, instead of mass terraforming the area to be a smooth rectangle every time.

I have also become ridiculously strong without realising it, and it's mainly due to my slow and steady approach. Brain of Cthulhu was a tough fight the first time round and killed me, I've gone back after a few hours to farm some tissue samples and I dunked on him without breaking a sweat. Crafted a void bag and vault now so spelunking is going to be less of a ballache! I just wish I could easily make Recall Potions that open up a rift so you can return to base, drop off loot, then port back to where you were, but Obsidifish seem hard to get.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Memento posted:

My underground jungle farm for Lost Girls ended up spawning enough Life Fruit to get me to 500hp and then it spawned a Plantera bulb. Turns out with a few platforms it was the perfect arena to fight the boss as well. The Golem room was really small, but I drained all my buff potions and got that done. Killed Fishron with a Terra Blade projectile just as I died and got the least useful drops. Killed the Lunatic Cultist with Beetle armour on. Did 3/4 of the pillars and made myself a Solar Eruption.

Still don't have a metal detector.

Try taking your character to a new map, Lost Girls ought to spawn more often pre-hardmode because there's less on the spawn table to compete with.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Qubee posted:

I just wish I could easily make Recall Potions that open up a rift so you can return to base, drop off loot, then port back to where you were, but Obsidifish seem hard to get.

Go ham on the surface whenever there's a blood moon. The exclusive enemies there have a small chance of dropping a portable piggy bank, which acts like another inventory like the void bag, albeit without the auto filling when your main inventory is full. It shares the inventory space granted by the regular piggy bank you can place similar to a chest. Normal piggy banks require you to haul around a table to place them on before use, however.

You can also buy a safe and cart that around, too, which is yet another inventory's worth of storage.

MR. J fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 8, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MR. J posted:

Go ham on the surface whenever there's a blood moon. The exclusive enemies there have a small chance of dropping a portable piggy bank, which acts like another inventory like the void bag, albeit without the auto filling when your main inventory is full. It shares the inventory space granted by the regular piggy bank you can place similar to a chest. Normal piggy banks require you to haul around a table to place them on before use, however.

You can also buy a safe and cart that around, too, which is yet another inventory's worth of storage.
You can just buy a second piggy bank and carry some platforms to put it on. Like you need to do with the safe (minus the platforms). The thing blood moons drop is an item you use which just spawns a floating piggy bank without having to mess with all that and pick it back up afterwards. Other than a few exceptions like demon altars, everything is portable in this game.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

MR. J posted:

Seems like every time I drop a safe underground to manage my inventory, I forget to pick the drat thing back up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just put some spares in your piggy bank. And put a piggy bank in the safe, just to be on the safe side. Then put both in your void bag as well. Make your entire inventory one big recursive nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Mad Dragon posted:

Seems like every time I drop a safe underground to manage my inventory, I forget to pick the drat thing back up.

On the bright side you'll eventually have a network of safes spread throughout the underground.