Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

It’s great to finally have David Filoni back again. Out of curiosity, why wasn’t he involved with Resistance?

He created and executive-produced it, and wrote The Recruit, then basically handed it off to other writers as LucasFilm started gearing up for Disney+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mando started filming around when Resistance started airing.

Larryb posted:

It’s great to finally have David Filoni back again. Out of curiosity, why wasn’t he involved with Resistance?

in mid 2018 Filoni posted:

Resistance is a bit different, in that I'm not on that day-to-day. I created and set it in motion, but I've given that to other people to raise up, people that I've worked with a long time, who I think deserve the opportunity to tell stories and I think it's exciting, and I give them my thoughts and notes – I was just doing that this morning, like George would give me. So that's fun.

Plus yeah, he had Mandalorian and the Clone Wars revival to work on.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Filoni not being there may be why Resistance never quite got over the hump of its kiddy setup to settle in to the quality SW that all the other animated shows have, but I also contend it should have got a third season because it ended in a cool spot. The production on it took a long time though I read, so it would have had to have been renewed in the teeth of the TLJ / SOLO backlash. And they were clearly determined to step away from the ST at that point.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jerkface posted:

Filoni not being there may be why Resistance never quite got over the hump of its kiddy setup to settle in to the quality SW that all the other animated shows have, but I also contend it should have got a third season because it ended in a cool spot. The production on it took a long time though I read.

it takes a lot of rewrites to make a hero that stupid

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

He created and executive-produced it, and wrote The Recruit, then basically handed it off to other writers as LucasFilm started gearing up for Disney+

A pity, that show probably would have been a lot better had he stayed on with it.

Honestly they should let Filoni direct and/or write a movie, he seems to have a pretty good handle on the Star Wars universe.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 8, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

A pity, that show probably would have been a lot better had he stayed on with it.

Honestly they should let Filoni direct and/or write a movie, he seems to have a pretty good handle on the Star Wars universe.

Perhaps, but figure Disney was always going to end up a little allergic to the Sequel Trilogy, so it might've gotten cancelled anyway but we wouldn't have had The Mandolorian, The Clone Wars or The Bad Batch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everyone posted:

Perhaps, but figure Disney was always going to end up a little allergic to the Sequel Trilogy, so it might've gotten cancelled anyway but we wouldn't have had The Mandolorian, The Clone Wars or The Bad Batch.

Fair point, but I just feel like he probably could have made something decent out of it like he did for the Prequels with The Clone Wars. Overall I agree it's likely better this way though.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I actually think the sequels are unrehabilitatable via animated show because the time gap between the movies is way too small. The PT had like a decade between ep1 and 2 and 3 years between 2 and 3. Meanwhile the ST is 0 time and like 1 year respectively.

Garbo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wasn’t sold on The Gunslinger, but the premiere and The Jedi were pretty solid. The man can obviously write and showrun extremely well, but I’m not sure I’d want to see him tackle a feature-length live-action SW movie yet.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Fair point, but I just feel like he probably could have made something decent out of it like he did for the Prequels with The Clone Wars. Overall I agree it's likely better this way though.

That's true. The thing that won me to Rebels and to Disney Star Wars overall was the second season premiere of Rebels with Vader showing up voiced by James Earl Jones and being absolutely terrifying instead of a whiny tweenager. I don't think Resistance had anything like that.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Everyone posted:

That's true. The thing that won me to Rebels and to Disney Star Wars overall was the second season premiere of Rebels with Vader showing up voiced by James Earl Jones and being absolutely terrifying instead of a whiny tweenager. I don't think Resistance had anything like that.

Vader was like an unkillable monster in a video game the first time you encounter it. "This doesn't look so bad. See, I can just nuke it! *monster tanks the nuke* ...FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKRUNRUNRUNRUN" It was awesome.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Everyone posted:

The back ends of both seasons weren't half-bad - whenever the First Order showed up, they (mostly) dropped the gag shtick, and it was interesting seeing how they recruit people to their cause

...although the fact the show shows that they literally brainwash troopers who don't fit the mold really raises questions as to why they didn't do the same for Finn

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Vinylshadow posted:

...although the fact the show shows that they literally brainwash troopers who don't fit the mold really raises questions as to why they didn't do the same for Finn

They tried! Phasma orders him to the barracks for reconditioning at the start of episode 7 but he escapes with Poe

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Resistance even considered part of the canon for that matter (like have any characters shown up again in the comics or anything like that)?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

Is Resistance even considered part of the canon for that matter (like have any characters shown up again in the comics or anything like that)?

Yes--Resistance is part of the story group canon, like all the other modern-release shows.

Thus far I think the only major repeat appearance is the Aces's ships at the Battle of Exegol, and one line of dialog from Kazuda in the novelization of the same.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jivjov posted:

Yes--Resistance is part of the story group canon, like all the other modern-release shows.

Thus far I think the only major repeat appearance is the Aces's ships at the Battle of Exegol, and one line of dialog from Kazuda in the novelization of the same.

Wait, there’s a Rise of Skywalker novel? Is it any better than the movie?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

Wait, there’s a Rise of Skywalker novel? Is it any better than the movie?

Yeah: all the films get novelizations. The one for TRoS.....tries. It really does. I have mad respect for Rae Carson for being able to polish that turd in any capacity at all.

Having a few moments of actually being able to get in the characters heads and see their thoughts helps the breakneck pace a bit, some cameo lines from known characters in the Battle of Exegol helps sell the idea that we're actually seeing a fleet of "just people" versus a soulless CGI mishmash like in the movie. There's even a post-death line from Ben that likely canonically confirms that he can manifest as a force ghost, which helps take the edge off of his pointless disappearance....

The story is flawed and broken from first principles, the Skywalker saga still ends on broken, bitter, bleak cynicism instead of anything remotely happy or uplifting, but the novel is slightly less bad than the film.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gotcha, how are the novelizations of the other two sequel movies then? And did Rogue One and Solo get book adaptions as well?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

Gotcha, how are the novelizations of the other two sequel movies then? And did Rogue One and Solo get book adaptions as well?

TFA's was utterly unremarkable in comparison with the movie. Perfectly serviceable and easy to read, much like the film itself

TLJ's was the first time they marketed the novelizations as "extended" versions--and it integrates a couple of the deleted scenes into the main body of the text, which is super nice

Rogue One and Solo do have novelizations, yes--I honestly don't have any specific memories from reading them. I tend to pick up the novels more out of completions' sake than because I actually love film novelizations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does the Rise novel bother to give at least a half assed explanation of Palpatine’s sudden return?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Rogue One’s novelization is by Alexander Freed, who also did the Alphabet Squadron books. I don’t remember what the goon consensus of it was when it came out, but I enjoyed it a good bit.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Larryb posted:

Does the Rise novel bother to give at least a half assed explanation of Palpatine’s sudden return?

You'll have to read the Fortnite novel for that one

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

Yeah, there's a sequence of Palpatine's "death" at Endor and how he pushed his consciousness out of his body into a prepared homunculus at Exegol. And theres a bit more narrative description of the Sith cult itself.

That said, the novel doesn't do anything more than the film did to give any indication that Palpatine is actually dead for real, and straight up adds dialog (possibly from a deleted scene or unfilmed bit of screenplay) where Finn and Poe speculate that Palpatine may just pop back up again later (speculative note: given that the entire ending of the film hammers home that the war is continuing forever and nothing fundamentally changed with the galaxy, i legit think that was dialog intended for the film and cut in the edit)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

jivjov posted:

Yeah, there's a sequence of Palpatine's "death" at Endor and how he pushed his consciousness out of his body into a prepared homunculus at Exegol. And theres a bit more narrative description of the Sith cult itself.

That said, the novel doesn't do anything more than the film did to give any indication that Palpatine is actually dead for real, and straight up adds dialog (possibly from a deleted scene or unfilmed bit of screenplay) where Finn and Poe speculate that Palpatine may just pop back up again later (speculative note: given that the entire ending of the film hammers home that the war is continuing forever and nothing fundamentally changed with the galaxy, i legit think that was dialog intended for the film and cut in the edit)

The Senate can not fail, only be failed.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Didn't the TFA novel go into detail about how Starkiller worked, with dark energy and hyperspace tunneling which shot phantom energy through sub-hyperspace which allowed the beam to be visible across the galaxy in order to intimidate opponents into surrendering?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Didn't the TFA novel go into detail about how Starkiller worked, with dark energy and hyperspace tunneling which shot phantom energy through sub-hyperspace which allowed the beam to be visible across the galaxy in order to intimidate opponents into surrendering?

I believe so. It also has a bit at the climax with a voice in Rey's head goading her to kill Kylo when he's down. It's obviously unintentional but lines up nicely with TROS in retrospect.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Back to the shows for a moment, the main problem with Resistance was the same problem with the whole Sequel Trilogy: There was no plan. With TCW and Rebels, we at least knew where the story was eventually gonna end up, with ROTS and ANH, respectively.

JJ Abrams and the others involved with the sequels kept things quiet because they didn't want leaks getting out, which hurt Resistance because they couldn't plan ahead and try to avoid clashing with what was happening in the movies.

I forget, did that show even get something resembling an ending or was it just canceled prematurely during the second season?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So we now know what chain codes are - they're just ID cards.

Makes their importance in The Mandalorian seem a bit silly. Also, why would baby Yoda have an ID card?

And it's Filoni who was in charge of both.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So we now know what chain codes are - they're just ID cards.

Makes their importance in The Mandalorian seem a bit silly. Also, why would baby Yoda have an ID card?

And it's Filoni who was in charge of both.

The implication seems to be that the empire starts demanding everyone at all times has one--kids likely get issued them at birth or when they get registered for school. Anyone who ends up in the criminal system would absolutely get one. And Grogu, being a valuable scientific asset would be tagged. The other implication I'm seeing is that specifically criminals end up not just having an ID number; but some kind of an implanted tracker, that would explain how the tracking fobs work. The bounty hunters guild (based off the list of jobs Carga offers Mando) seems really heavily invested in doing jobs related to recapturing criminals or other high value assets.

Star Wars already has precedent for nearly-impossible-to-locate-and-deactivate implants--see phantom menace and the implanted slave trackers. Much like "star destroyer" and "Death Star", "chain code" ends up just being a really scary name attached to a simple concept, due to it being used by the gross fascist empire.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Man, I like Filoni animated stuff but it's always hard to slog through the inevitable tag along kid until they become less insufferable after a season or two.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omega doesn’t seem that bad at the moment at least.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Looks like Hot Toys will be releasing sixth scale Bad Batch figures. First up is Echo, who is posed alongside Hunter, who will probably be next. Spoiler warning? We see Echo with swapable right hands, which is actually a great way to distinguish him if that ends up being from the show. I’m guessing so, since Hot Toys is usually very good about sticking to the source material.

https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/star-wars-echo-hot-toys-908283

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That's actually kinda hilarious

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So what's the guesses on Omega's purpose as a modified clone?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Larryb posted:

The novels for the star wars movies aren't exactly *good* but they do tend to work from the movie scripts before the movies get edited; so they provide a lot of extra exposition. Reading the novelizations for the prequals, for example, made me like them more because it dived just a little deeper into the story. Or maybe I'm bad at watching movies and don't pick up on subtext very well; who knows.

I know I read the Rogue One novel, and the Solo probably does have one as well. I should finish the Solo movie; I don't mind the actors or the performances but it was kind of boring for a Star Wars movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sekhmnet posted:

The novels for the star wars movies aren't exactly *good* but they do tend to work from the movie scripts before the movies get edited; so they provide a lot of extra exposition. Reading the novelizations for the prequals, for example, made me like them more because it dived just a little deeper into the story. Or maybe I'm bad at watching movies and don't pick up on subtext very well; who knows.

I know I read the Rogue One novel, and the Solo probably does have one as well. I should finish the Solo movie; I don't mind the actors or the performances but it was kind of boring for a Star Wars movie.

It’s been said before but Solo is a waste of a really good cast in my opinion (though the movie is watchable enough I suppose)

I’ve never actually read any of the Star Wars novelizations but I’ve heard good things about the ROTS one at least, any others any of you would recommend?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I did read the Solo novelization. Having Qira as a pov character, and thus having access to her thoughts makes it a different story, since in the movie there's an open question of how much genuine feeling vs manipulation is involved in her relationship with Han.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Servetus posted:

I did read the Solo novelization. Having Qira as a pov character, and thus having access to her thoughts makes it a different story, since in the movie there's an open question of how much genuine feeling vs manipulation is involved in her relationship with Han.

Out of curiosity, what’s the book’s answer to that question then?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Xelkelvos posted:

So what's the guesses on Omega's purpose as a modified clone?

I guessing she’s either an unaltered except female version of Jango or a prototype for a next generation ARC trooper. The R&D department was just like “what if estrogen is scarier than testosterone?”.

Oh, wait, oh poo poo, this just occurred to me: is Omega the same age as Boba at this time? What if the Kaminoans made a female twin of Boba when Jango ordered him? Trying to oversell him or some poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

I guessing she’s either an unaltered except female version of Jango or a prototype for a next generation ARC trooper. The R&D department was just like “what if estrogen is scarier than testosterone?”.

Oh, wait, oh poo poo, this just occurred to me: is Omega the same age as Boba at this time? What if the Kaminoans made a female twin of Boba when Jango ordered him? Trying to oversell him or some poo poo?

That's definitely a good possibility, though I expect it was made as a backup to track physiological growth in case they wanted to make more or sell soldiers that didn't grow at double the rate.
My guess is that she is a legacy contingency for the Clone Trooper project in case the project went under (hence Omega) possibly with a combined compliment of skills from the Bad Batch. Or maybe the ability to pick up their skills through a mental mutation.

Another possibility is that they altered her growth rate to the reverse of the regular Clones though this is the boring possibility.