Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What's wrong with the liquid cooled hypermotards? I'd like one for my next or maybe second bike.

Also sell the Deauville

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

A friend of mine got a CBR500R. I got the Kawasaki Versys-X 300. He sorta got me into this a couple months back. I got my license a couple weeks ago. Been riding around.

We tried eachothers bikes. Holy crud they handle so differently. We were both surprised. He liked mine.

I liked how connected to his bike it felt when cornering. It's no where near as comfortable as mine though.

I was put off by sport bikes prior to riding his, but it is fun now I can see.

Also sell the 2010 Honda Deauville NT700.

Oh honey, oh sugar, that isn't a sportbike. It looks like a sportbike but it is a simple commuter both mechanically and ergonomically. That's just what a 'normal' bike feels like to ride.

Also it sounds strange, but your bike's skinny tyres and pitchy suspension are much better for learning because they make the load transfer, which is the key to all riding, really obvious and gradual because the suspension is both soggy and long-travel. You can get your braking or turning somewhat right and land somewhere inside the relatively broad operating window, have grip and make the corner.

I'm generalisating massively but usually with shorter, stiffer suspension, the feedback is much more subtle, the operating window is much narrower, the chance of loving up, landing outside the window and running out of traction/stability is much greater. Then you throw in a powerful engine and grabby brakes that can aggressively pitch the bike with even small inputs and you can see why real sportbikes are crap for learning.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Oh yeah. Well I mean the riding position is more forward. Handlebars lower but not as low as like a CBR1000RR. I feel like the CB500F is more standard than the R.

I don't want to learn on a sport bike. I don't suppose I am as afraid of them as I was is all.

I am a very new rider still. The bike I have I am going to have for at least a year if not two. I may not even get rid of it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

What's wrong with the liquid cooled hypermotards? I'd like one for my next or maybe second bike.

Also sell the Deauville

In my extensive research (reading the Ducati forums for an hour) the only common complaint I saw was the bike dying if you pulled in the clutch at anything over very low rpms, usually manifesting itself between 600 and 2000 miles. There may be multiple issues but Ducati said the first issue was the throttle bodies shipped coated in some substance that caused them to stick, then later said some of the gas tanks were dissolving and causing a coating on the throttle bodies. Looked like a huge pain initially as bikes would be at the dealer for 5 weeks as the dealer swapped out random efi pieces. It seems like less of an issue now that it's a known problem, although I'd worry about the effects of the dissolving tank on the engine if it was sticky enough to cause problems with the throttle bodies.

The service light for things like an oil change only being able to be turned off by the dealer is also annoying, although I imagine a lot of the Ducati guys are like the Porsche guys and want to see a book full of dealer service logs rather than some guy's notes for his home oil changes (maybe I'm wrong on that).

I just realized I'll turn 40 by the time I'm able to ride/buy a bike, is a hypermotard an adequate midlife crisis bike? Seems like the Daytona is better for that. I feel like the only bike I feel strongly about buying in the future is a new R6 with all the bells and whistles, but that doesn't fix what I was looking to change up vs the Daytona. I think I'll just pick up a Hypermotard and give the Italian bike experience a chance, if I end up hating the experience it's not like I'm out as much money as doing something stupid like buying a Maserati. I debated the RS660 in acid gold but reading the Aprilia forums made me think it's not the best idea.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The tank is a wear item. They’ve done it, the geniuses!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Has been for decades. Corn gas + plastic.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

MomJeans420 posted:

I just realized I'll turn 40 by the time I'm able to ride/buy a bike, is a hypermotard an adequate midlife crisis bike?

I'm afraid you've already played your bike card, can I interest you in this lightly used R22?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's the same on the Duke 690 2013+ model. And if it's out of the 5 year warranty KTM laughs and only sell the tank with the fuel pump, list price 1700 USD. Injectors and pump alone was 850. My brother was not impressed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

Has been for decades. Corn gas + plastic.

Right, which is why you either don’t do that or find a plastic that works

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I'm thinking about buying this ugly bastard:

Hyperpro suspension, R6 brakes, genuinely well maintained, fresh chain set. 650 euro.
I've ridden on it a while back, it corners so nicely. Only thing is it needs a new clutch, which slips when the engine is cold, but apparently i get a pack of clutch disks with it. The rest of the mechanics are in excellent condition.
i don't need it, but i've been lusting after a 90s 4 cyl sportbike for a while now... Already contemplating getting some fresh fairings and decals.

Tell me this is a good plan. I want it. I can afford it. I've just gotten used to being really skimpy with 'expensive' things from being really poor for years, but this thing costs me less than half a month's wage...

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 8, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Right, which is why you either don’t do that or find a plastic that works

It's so typical of so many manufacturers though, catering to their home environment. Fiats rusting to dust the second they see a salted road, because why would you rustproof your car in Italy? Tesla door handles that freeze shut because who ever heard of an ice storm in California? German cars that require adherence to a rigid maintenance schedule because Germans.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

LimaBiker posted:

Hyperpro suspension, R6 brakes, genuinely well maintained, fresh chain set. 650 euro.
I've ridden on it a while back, it corners so nicely. Only thing is it needs a new clutch, which slips when the engine is cold, but apparently i get a pack of clutch disks with it. The rest of the mechanics are in excellent condition.
i don't need it, but i've been lusting after a 90s 4 cyl sportbike for a while now... Already contemplating getting some fresh fairings and decals.

Tell me this is a good plan. I want it. I can afford it. I've just gotten used to being really skimpy with 'expensive' things from being really poor for years, but this thing costs me less than half a month's wage...

I've not seen one of these before, at first glance I thought it was a Honda nt650, they look startlingly similar.

I read this post just as I was having the exact same thought about buying expensive shiny things, as I've only ever owned 15+ yo bikes and on the verge of getting something new and electric.

If it makes you happy, get it, life is short we'll all be dead soon. Money will be worthless when we're old and scavenging the horizon to horizon dust bowl looking for food and bottle caps

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It's a 1993 Yamaha FZR600, just with its front fairing missing.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

For 650 euro it seems like a no brainer but maybe I’m missing something.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I did it!
Now to train all the way across the country (a whole of 3 hours - the benefits of having a tiny country) to go and fetch it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

LimaBiker posted:

a genuinely well maintained bike does not need a new clutch

a dude selling you a bike with a clutch pack and telling you the clutch slips, to me, sounds like a lazy owner who probably neglected plenty of other things

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I know the guy, i've ridden the bike, i know the bike's history and there's a whole list of parts bought for it. There is an extensive write up on a dutch forum about all the things done to it, because it was a 500 euro forums challenge bike. Find and fix up a bike for under 500 euro, the best one gets a prize.
So while not perfect, it's a decent ride.
The 500 euro budget was excluding safety critical components like brake parts and tires.

He has multiple SVs and a GS500 and this thing was gonna be his track bike, but it fell into disuse due to c19 and the fact that you can't ride 4 bikes at once...

I trust it more than a random 500-1000 euro bike on Marktplaats/craigslist.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 8, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Why would anyone own and keep a GS500 when they have multiple SVs and a cool streetfighter too

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Idk. The GS500 is pretty heavily modified too. I didn't ride that one, but it certainly wasn't stock.

No idea if he still has it, it's been a year since i rode with him and got my brakes done at his place.

My first bike almost became a cbr600 (jelly bean model) from a similar challenge, for a similar amount of money. But the owner didn't wanna keep it until i was done with my riding lessons, and in the end it was probably for the better. Would've been quite a jump in power from the 55ish HP cb500's i did my lessons on.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 8, 2021

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
My first bike was a GS500. There is ZERO reason to own one if you own a running SV, let alone multiple SVs. The SV is better in every way.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Finger Prince posted:

Tesla door handles that freeze shut because who ever heard of an ice storm in California?

I've seen people bitching about this but it's actually a case of two wrongs make a right, because the lovely summer tyres they ship the cars with are absolutely not safe to run in the kind of conditions where the door handles freeze shut.

e/ particularly this video, this is one of those things you should really take as a sign that whatever you thought you were doing today, you're not getting it done, stay the gently caress home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HauVg7zvpPQ

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 8, 2021

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

LimaBiker posted:

That frame looks soooo good. Clutches aren't usually hard to replace, since it's right there under the right cover. You might even get away with it by adjusting the clutch cable so it engages better. Anyway that seems like a good bike because it's dirt cheap and you know the PO/history.

But you need to complete the streetfighter conversion with a proper round headlight up front.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I'm afraid you've already played your bike card, can I interest you in this lightly used R22?

refrigerant?

drat, I forgot Yamaha discontinued the R6, the GSX-R600/750 don't have fancy electronics, and only the ZX6R that looks like they combined random fairing colors (KRT) has ABS. Do I buy a 2020 R6 even though it's a dead platform? My last chance to get a new one with no unknown fuckery by the PO. Maybe we'll have a < 1000c sport bike revival in the future? I blame euro 5

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1998 posted:

drat, I forgot Yamaha discontinued the TZR250, the RGV250 don't have fancy electronic power valves, and only the RS250 that looks like they combined random fairing colors (biaggi replica) has brembos. Do I buy a 1997 TZR even though it's a dead platform? My last chance to get a new one with no unknown fuckery by the PO. Maybe we'll have a < 750cc sport bike revival in the future? I blame euro 3

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

so don't worry about it there will be other options, OR now is my last chance, hmmm

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Coydog posted:

That frame looks soooo good. Clutches aren't usually hard to replace, since it's right there under the right cover. You might even get away with it by adjusting the clutch cable so it engages better. Anyway that seems like a good bike because it's dirt cheap and you know the PO/history.

But you need to complete the streetfighter conversion with a proper round headlight up front.

I got it because i've been lusting after early 90s dual round headlight sport bikes forever.

I'm gonna find some okay fairings for it. It's probably gonna stay black, unless i magically find a whole set in good shape with all original decals. Or perhaps i'll spray the whole thing bright yellow, if i can only find overpriced 'nice' fairings.

The bike actually was originally gonna be converted to a streetfighter, before the current (well, now previous, i paid!) owner got it and decided 'nope' :)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

LimaBiker posted:

Ditch the original rectifier. They loving suck. Drop in a modern FH001A or whatever.
2nd gear is weak on those. use the clutch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

It's so typical of so many manufacturers though, catering to their home environment. Fiats rusting to dust the second they see a salted road, because why would you rustproof your car in Italy? Tesla door handles that freeze shut because who ever heard of an ice storm in California? German cars that require adherence to a rigid maintenance schedule because Germans.

Yeah these are all “babbys first vehicle” mistakes that an established manufacturer shouldn’t make. But that’s :tesla:, :italy:, and :germany: I guess

E: how is there not a Germany emote?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah these are all “babbys first vehicle” mistakes that an established manufacturer shouldn’t make. But that’s :tesla:, :italy:, and :germany: I guess

E: how is there not a Germany emote?

Right here: :godwin:

Germany struggles to comprehend the notion that simplicity is unto itself a worthwhile thing.

Italy struggles to comprehend wanting something to last longer than the next model cycle.

Japan struggles to comprehend people riding bikes for reasons other than utility.

Happily all three often go against type and make bikes like the gsxr or monster or...well, I can't think of a simple German bike sorry.

Tesla is just a late capitalist ponzi dumpster fire and judging them like they're an actual manufacturer is wasted effort.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 8, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This conversation got me thinking: what are the absolute least painful bikes to own while still fulfilling a role that isn't Just A Bike? By least painful I mean a matrix of quality, reliability, idiot-proofing and cost + ease of maintenance, so forget 'character' or 'fun' or any kind of heart appeal at all.

My conclusions:

Shitbike/slow learner: GN250 or cb250. I only mention the Honda because the Gn is made in china and some parts of it verge on overly cheap

Small bike/learner: ninja 250/300, no contest

Road going enduro: dr650 or xr650

Middleweight: er6 or SV. This is super close but imo the er6 edges it with it's more mechanic-friendly packaging and rugged, railway beam frame that resists crashing very well

Cruiser: HD sportster, no contest

Big standard: bandit 1200, cb1100

Big ADV: Vstrom 1000

Sport tourer: z1000sx or gsx1000F, not many strong feelings here, I'm open to debate

Fast naked: gsx1000s, mt09, again open to debate

Sportbike: gixxer, r1/6

Big meaty boy: goldwing, busa

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

How painful would something ridiculous like a rocket 3 or a valkyrie be to own?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Cruiser: HD sportster, no contest

The only type I have legitimate experience in. I’d say it’s the new HD Softail over the Sportster. The lower center of gravity makes it more of a cruiser, and taking the Dyna spot gives it a similar level of customization. It’s much more suited to cruising than the Sportster. You could do 400+ miles in a day on a Softail. You could probably do that on a Sportster too but it’d probably suck. You’re on a Sportster; you’re in a Softail.

Or the Shadow. But nobody thinks about Japanese bikes when considering the best cruiser.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E:^^^^^ idk if any efi bike, let alone a big twin, can contend with the stark, almost soviet simplicity of a sporty with a single carb. I haven't worked on enough m8 bikes to comment on how painful they are to work on, Idk if Harley has a made a big step in either direction there, or in driveline reliability.

The shadow sucks poo poo to work on like every other big metric cruiser. Yes all of them, yes if you're reading this it means you.* Sorry.

*: rebel 500 and vulcan 650 not included

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

How painful would something ridiculous like a rocket 3 or a valkyrie be to own?

Rocket 3 is an absolutely brutal wallet pulverizer. The rear tyres start at $500 locally, the drivetrain is literally not strong enough and people who ride hard + shell out for a sticky rear tyre (usually like $800+) treat compensators and other mechanical parts you never hear about as consumables. Brake pads fork seals etc all wear super fast. They are not nice to work on.

The Valkyrie is a dressed up/down goldwing. I have never seen one but I guarantee they are exactly as reliable whilst being 2.5x more infuriating to work on. Source: the last ten thousand times Honda took a native design built to a purpose and tried to transform it into a style driven whatever. I suspect the OG naked ones are very pleasant to ride and they look mint:

Ditch the passenger seat completely, lower the bars, tone down the chrome, oooh baby. And then you have a 100hp 6 cylinder cruiser with enough lean angle to humiliate a v-rod let alone an air cooled Harley or similar. I want one now.

E2 for mistaken identity

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 9, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Slavvy posted:

Middleweight: er6 or SV. This is super close but imo the er6 edges it with it's more mechanic-friendly packaging and rugged, railway beam frame that resists crashing very well

How does the ER6 compare to the MT-07?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

How does the ER6 compare to the MT-07?

The mt07 is drastically superior in every way except crashing, where it tends to explode it's cooling system, water pump housing or stator easily.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy, it’s not clear whether you’re making GBS threads on the prior gen or the current gen Rocket three! Or both!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have never even seen one of the new ones, they are fabulously expensive and I'm not likely to touch one for years and years.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Thinking about selling My Vstrom, kinda want a Vstrom 1000, SV1000 or a GSX-R, all different bikes, i know.

So I guess tell me what sport touring bike I should consider? Gen3 Hayabusa?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

The Valkyrie is a dressed up/down goldwing. I have never seen one but I guarantee they are exactly as reliable whilst being 2.5x more infuriating to work on. Source: the last ten thousand times Honda took a native design built to a purpose and tried to transform it into a style driven whatever. I suspect the OG naked ones are very pleasant to ride and they look mint:

Ditch the passenger seat completely, lower the bars, tone down the chrome, oooh baby. And then you have a 100hp 6 cylinder cruiser with enough lean angle to humiliate a v-rod let alone an air cooled Harley or similar. I want one now.

E2 for mistaken identity

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about, the original naked/cruiser looking ones, not the swoopy weird newer ones. Single seat and blacked out chrome and I think I'd probably ride it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Slavvy posted:

This conversation got me thinking: what are the absolute least painful bikes to own while still fulfilling a role that isn't Just A Bike? By least painful I mean a matrix of quality, reliability, idiot-proofing and cost + ease of maintenance, so forget 'character' or 'fun' or any kind of heart appeal at all.

The 1st gen SV has 3 standard issues:
- The voltage regulator fails between 35.000 and 50.000km. No idea if that's fixed in newer generations.
- Some bikes aren't fitted with carburetor heaters, so if you ride in foggy, close to freezing weather, you get carb freezing on prolonged highway stretches. With carb heaters fitted, the carb is as close to maintenance free as it gets. Subsequent generations have EFI and don't have the issue.
I can't be assed to fit them cause i rarely ride in conditions in which the carb freezes, and if it does, it's also not that big of a deal.

- The SV325 issue. Rain splashed up from the road can enter the front spark plug hole, cutting out one cylinder. It seems to be fixed after a healthy dose of Holts Damp Start (a silicone sealant spray). Can also be fixed with a rubber sheet behind the radiator, or with a fender extender. Subsequent generations have an extra rain shield on the radiator and don't have the issue.

These are all things you can fix on a saturday afternoon in an hour or so, but i'd say that people without any kind of feeling for mechanical things will be bothered by it. So i'd say the 2nd or current gen SV will be the absolute least painful to own.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 9, 2021