Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I would guess I hate Jordan more than almost anyone who does not know him personally but Jordan is undeniably very cool which is not a word I'd use for Gretzky. But Jordan would also be lovely on TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

And then there's Tom Brady - tongue-kisses his own kids and is just generally awkward.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Was watching the Indians-Reds game on the Bally Sports app and Wade Miley had a no-hitter going into the bottom of the ninth. And the stream cut out right at 11 because the geniuses that program that poo poo apparently never realized a game could be rain delayed. So I had to listen to the final 3 outs on my phone. (Wade Miley got the no no!)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bo jackson was obviously and by far the coolest Pro Star.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Ken Griffey Jr is in the discussion along with Deion Sanders.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Ken Griffey Jr is in the discussion along with Deion Sanders.

i don't remember those guys being Pro Stars

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

R.D. Mangles posted:

i don't remember those guys being Pro Stars

Yep, definitely read that wrong and missed it completely. My bad, carry on.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

HOW DARE YOU NOT REMEMBER A CHILDREN'S CARTOON FROM 25 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm more disappointed that slipped thru my childhood because it looks like something I would've watched the poo poo out of.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

R.D. Mangles posted:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Still is, just chilling in a cabin contentedly making arrows instead of running the hornets and his liver into the ground in weird jeans

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Still is, just chilling in a cabin contentedly making arrows instead of running the hornets and his liver into the ground in weird jeans
That part of the 30 for 30 - I think it was the 30 for 30 - where he just casually shoots his bow repeatedly with his legs because it helps his hips is :stare:

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

MourningView posted:

I would guess I hate Jordan more than almost anyone who does not know him personally but Jordan is undeniably very cool

I would deny that Jordan is very cool. He's a hypercompetitive prick with questionable fashion sense. That is the opposite of cool. He's cooler than Gretzky, of course, but Gretzky is a huge dork.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Crazy Ted posted:

That part of the 30 for 30 - I think it was the 30 for 30 - where he just casually shoots his bow repeatedly with his legs because it helps his hips is :stare:

There will never be another Bo

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Luigi Thirty posted:

There will never be another Bo

Agreed, Deion may have done the same thing ( & made one HOF) but Bo burned twice as bright but sadly half as long. He is a legend where no hall is needed.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This guy is one of the radio broadcasters for the Pels: https://twitter.com/NTGraff/status/1391751712285896708?s=20

He clarified in a later tweet that it has been a thing since everyone moved to remote broadcasting. That must be annoying as all hell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It’s absolutely terrible. Bear in mind too a lot of stations were testing out remote broadcasts well before the pandemic. They never sound good and you can tell it’s starting to annoy some broadcasters.

I did a couple myself locally and it’s drat near impossible to make it sound like you’re there in person. Pandemic aside, it is 100% a cost cutting measure and it’s going to get worse.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
ESPN has been doing a lot of remote broadcasts for awhile, especially with the ESPN3/ESPN+ stuff but I think they even started moving some of the college football games on the regular networks to studio broadcasts even pre-pandemic to cut costs. Their production is good enough that i thought it was pretty hard to notice. The guy who does radio for my high school's games (a job he is WILDLY overqualified for) does a lot of small school football or non revenue sports like tennis and wrestling for ESPN and a huge chunk of it is out of studio.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 10, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah a ton of ESPN's streaming stuff is remote. Quality definitely seems to vary based on how well the cameras can follow things and what the announce crew back in the studio can see.

The remote games I called were in a studio with 4 screens, all about 50" or so. We could basically see the main center ice camera and an angle from above/behind one goal, and along the goal line at ice level from the other. 4th screen was just a dedicated smaller camera on a tripod pointing at the scoreboard.

Hoo boy does it get even more important than ever for teams to have high-contrast numbers on their jerseys too. We had one high school hockey team rolling white jerseys with light gray numerals and that would bug me pretty good if I was there live, but having to watch it via camera I wanted to absolutely scream.

E: one thing I'll say in remote broadcasting's favor: sitting in a climate controlled studio in a pretty comfortable chair did beat the poo poo out of freezing my rear end off in a muni ice rink.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ChickenMedium posted:

I would deny that Jordan is very cool. He's a hypercompetitive prick with questionable fashion sense. That is the opposite of cool.

The hypercompetitive thing actually is cool if you can justify it by way of being the unassailable greatest in your field at the time.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Kenny_Mayne/status/1391846208809877508

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
How do you mess up a hastag like that?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

How do you mess up a hastag like that?

he does that regularly

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Wow so is he the last person from the glory days of ESPN to leave? Or is Chris Berman still hiding in a janitor’s closet somewhere?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm not a huge Dave Pasch fan but the one area I will give him credit in is that he seems to be rolling with remote broadcasting the best of the national guys which might be why he is on like 70% of ESPN NBA games now instead of being 3rd on the depth chart.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Wow so is he the last person from the glory days of ESPN to leave? Or is Chris Berman still hiding in a janitor’s closet somewhere?

I think he's doing a show on ESPN+

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

I think he's doing a show on ESPN+

the nfl primetime revival

e: and this just popped up

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1391861927794651136

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 10, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SAS will be the last one standing on a pile of pink slips

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

For sportscenter specifically? Greenberg sucks but I think he would have started at roughly the same time and is still around.

A bunch of their college sports people have been around forever like Fowler, Herbstreit, Reece Davis, Bilas, and Vitale

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Greenberg used to do a call-in sports show on a local access channel in Chicago in the early 90's. Still can't believe how big he has gotten.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Mahoning posted:

Was watching the Indians-Reds game on the Bally Sports app and Wade Miley had a no-hitter going into the bottom of the ninth. And the stream cut out right at 11 because the geniuses that program that poo poo apparently never realized a game could be rain delayed. So I had to listen to the final 3 outs on my phone. (Wade Miley got the no no!)

That happened to me once, but with curling. It happening during a no-hitter is especially bad and much worse imo.

https://streamable.com/vq8pm

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pretty sure the only reason Berman is on at all is because everyone felt bad that he finally retired and his wife died like a week later.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/worldsoccertalk/status/1392251316966150144?s=21

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Just in time for Real Madrid and Barcelona to be thrown out of LaLiga I hope for insisting that The Super League is still a thing

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, beIN Sports, it was fun while it lasted.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Spanish paper AS is reporting it is an 8 year deal.

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1392317245565640706

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah RIP beIN sports.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

LO loving L.
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1392494997166034949?s=19

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Viral marketing for the Wrong Turn remake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1392945175878676480

e: and this is now official

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1392946732628070410

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 13, 2021