Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Mill Village posted:

I’m not having a problem finding them. Cotton just flat out refuses to learn anything but Needle and Impale. I spent a half hour grinding each spot and came up empty handed. Like all I need is StoneGas and Cotton can be a Crystal Tree.

I guess thematically his Butch form makes the most sense but I wanted something a bit stronger.

At one point the beast type in BioLab spawned two Black Dragons in addition to the Chimera. That was a fun fight.

Yeah stuff like Stone Gas and Life Rain are usually the hardest stuff to pull. All you can do is sacrifice some dice to the RNG gods and keep trying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mill Village posted:

I’m not having a problem finding them. Cotton just flat out refuses to learn anything but Needle and Impale. I spent a half hour grinding each spot and came up empty handed. Like all I need is StoneGas and Cotton can be a Crystal Tree.

I guess thematically his Butch form makes the most sense but I wanted something a bit stronger.

At one point the beast type in BioLab spawned two Black Dragons in addition to the Chimera. That was a fun fight.

The downside is that the better skills have minimum hp requirements so if he's not absorning anything at all and his HP isn't going up then you will never learn those skills if your HP is lacking.

Learning the 4th skill from an enemy is extremely tedious no matter what. Getting Magnetic Storm is annoying for exactly that reason.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

Riki's point of no return is very clear, so don't worry about hitting it without warning. You'll be given an explicit "if you go through this door, there's no turning back" message.

I think that's true of every point of no return in the game, actually. I don't remember if that was true of the PS1 original or not, but I did notice that it was never unclear when I was going to be unable to leave a final dungeon.

All the endgames I entered had a clear Red LAST CHANCE TO SAVE window.

I think only Blue's quest had a very mild warning of "you go to Hell, you're not coming back" warning by saying "we're taking your magic map"

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Lute down, two more to go. Should I do Asellus or Red next?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have made new plans for dealing with superbosses.
  • Gotta get more gear. I need another Dullahan Shield or two and ideally another Genbu Shield or two. Blue's boss can ruin your day with a bunch of different elements but armor slots are at a premium because I also really need as much regular defense as possible. Having more than a couple Genbu Shields to go around will help.
  • Get Arcane magic on more people instead of Rune. Shield is suddenly really valuable.
  • Train more people in magic, because it turns out you can dump all your team's WP into DSCs and still not kill some of these bosses. Being able to follow up with some decently-sized Tower nukes will hopefully help.
  • Time Twister instead of Time Leap. The fact is that the superbosses are too fast to Time Leap reliably unless you can debuff their mobility, and for a lot of them, you sorta can't. Time Lord's job will instead be to let characters occasionally double up on their DSCs and hopefully squeeze more damage out of their WP before it runs out.
I am impressed at just how well these bosses can stand up to the bullshit a fully powered-up SaGa Frontier team can pull. I mean you can still Overdrive + Snake Oil them to death but if you're trying to be "sporting" about it, even a team with nearly maxed out stats and DSC for days is in for a serious fight.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ace Transmuter posted:

Lute down, two more to go. Should I do Asellus or Red next?

I'd do Red, just since Asellus getting the bulk of the restored content would be the best capstone

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

I have read that Wonder Bangles can be very helpful for a number of the super bosses, as some of the really nasty attacks (e.g., Diva's Gale) can be blocked since they're coded as piercing damage. I still haven't managed to farm up any Dullahan Shields yet, so it may be a thought if you're unable to provide that more general coverage to everyone.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

The downside is that the better skills have minimum hp requirements so if he's not absorning anything at all and his HP isn't going up then you will never learn those skills if your HP is lacking.

Learning the 4th skill from an enemy is extremely tedious no matter what. Getting Magnetic Storm is annoying for exactly that reason.

What? Nothing I've read online has mentioned there being minimum HP requirements for skills. The only things for monsters that have minimum HP requirements are some monster forms. Unless something was changed for the remaster, which I doubt would be the case.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Cleared all 7 stories and I wasn't about to get Rei even after the scene about her at the start of Asellus's scenario and meeting her at times prior to when you're supposed to be able to recruit her. Not that I would've used her at that point but it would've been nice to get them for the hell of it.

If anyone has a burning desire to make super powered mystics for the boss rushes or whatever with Fuse, just farm Mariche in the dev room you get sent to after clearing the story on a file with everyone's story cleared. It's not super fast, but you can also farm Kylin there if you want any of their moves for mystics too and it'll be fast than rushing through character stories or whatever.

Has anyone done a NG+ run of Asellus and had a tough enough Asellus/White Rose/Ildon to kill the giant that gates your access to the griffin fight to rescue Gina and if so does it sequence break the game?

Alard posted:

What? Nothing I've read online has mentioned there being minimum HP requirements for skills. The only things for monsters that have minimum HP requirements are some monster forms. Unless something was changed for the remaster, which I doubt would be the case.

It was some old GameFAQS post, iirc, with someone outlining how you just couldn't get some skills (like stone gas, magnetic storm, and a few others) right off the bat because of HP or something else. They could've been wrong. I've never seen a monster get those 'best' skills early on either but that could just be the god awful 4th skill RNG doing its thing. :shrug:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 7, 2021

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Evil Fluffy posted:

If anyone has a burning desire to make super powered mystics for the boss rushes or whatever with Fuse, just farm Mariche in the dev room you get sent to after clearing the story on a file with everyone's story cleared. It's not fast by any means, but you can also farm Kylin there if you want any of their moves for mystics too.

Does that work? I never tested it, but I thought that any changes during those fights were undone as soon as the battle ended.

Although you should still be able to get the triple Mariche if you run Riki’s scenario and/or casefile enough times.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Cleared all 7 stories and I wasn't about to get Rei even after the scene about her at the start of Asellus's scenario and meeting her at times prior to when you're supposed to be able to recruit her. Not that I would've used her at that point but it would've been nice to get them for the hell of it.

If anyone has a burning desire to make super powered mystics for the boss rushes or whatever with Fuse, just farm Mariche in the dev room you get sent to after clearing the story on a file with everyone's story cleared. It's not super fast, but you can also farm Kylin there if you want any of their moves for mystics too and it'll be fast than rushing through character stories or whatever.

You can fight Kylin there? Huh, I thought getting Time Lord to absorb Kylin would be impossible. Neat.

Also, I haven't tried, but can you do the fights there multiple times, or do you have to run through a story again to get to the dev room and reset the fights? I wouldn't mind getting Time Lord and Mesarthim triple Mariches before trying a superboss again.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 8, 2021

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It was some old GameFAQS post, iirc, with someone outlining how you just couldn't get some skills (like stone gas, magnetic storm, and a few others) right off the bat because of HP or something else. They could've been wrong. I've never seen a monster get those 'best' skills early on either but that could just be the god awful 4th skill RNG doing its thing. :shrug:

You can't get most of those skills off the bat because they're limited to only one or two monster forms that only show up in late game monsters. I believe Crystal Trees are the only monster to teach Magnetic Storm so they are limited until your encounter rank is pretty high. A lot of the skills are only found in the 4th slot which makes it extra painful since I think that's like a 1% chance to pick it up.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

dude789 posted:

You can't get most of those skills off the bat because they're limited to only one or two monster forms that only show up in late game monsters. I believe Crystal Trees are the only monster to teach Magnetic Storm so they are limited until your encounter rank is pretty high. A lot of the skills are only found in the 4th slot which makes it extra painful since I think that's like a 1% chance to pick it up.

There's an extremely useful GFaqs post all about monsters and it says the slot percentages are:

GameFaqs posted:

Slot 4: 1/32 (3.1%)
Slot 3: 1/16 (6.3%)
Slot 2: 1/4 (25%)
Slot 1: 100%
Here's the post if anyone else wants to ram their heads against the wall of making monsters good in Frontier.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Ardryn posted:

There's an extremely useful GFaqs post all about monsters and it says the slot percentages are:

Here's the post if anyone else wants to ram their heads against the wall of making monsters good in Frontier.

Some additional context:
*When you absorb a monster, the game checks each slot in reverse order, stopping on a successful absorb of a skill the monster doesn't already have.
*So it will always check slot 4 first, then slot 3, etc. If all these fail, you'll get the Slot 1 tech automatically (100%), if you already have that tech equipped, you don't absorb anything.
*Not all monsters have four abilities to absorb

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Ace Transmuter posted:

Some additional context:
*When you absorb a monster, the game checks each slot in reverse order, stopping on a successful absorb of a skill the monster doesn't already have.
*So it will always check slot 4 first, then slot 3, etc. If all these fail, you'll get the Slot 1 tech automatically (100%), if you already have that tech equipped, you don't absorb anything.
*Not all monsters have four abilities to absorb

Wait it's reverse order? I read that it looked at the absorbed skill and then went from 1-7 and the info on the Essence blog seems to confirm this? https://essenceofsaga.wordpress.com/home/book-index/monster-system/ The checkpoint section a little ways down this page specifically.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Ardryn posted:

Wait it's reverse order? I read that it looked at the absorbed skill and then went from 1-7 and the info on the Essence blog seems to confirm this? https://essenceofsaga.wordpress.com/home/book-index/monster-system/ The checkpoint section a little ways down this page specifically.

What you're talking about, I believe, is the monster form that gets chosen. What Ace was referring to is the skill that's absorbed when you absorb a monster- essentially, it checks to see if you absorb the rarest skill, failing that moves to the next, etc. until you get to the last skill which has a 100% of being absorbed. For the monster transformation you get, the skill in the last slot gets highest priority due to the old system always overwriting that skill (which is now gone in remastered).

Edit: to use an example, I have Riki absorb a Crystal Tree in my futile attempt to get Magnetic Storm. First, it checks do I absorb it Magnetic Storm (1/32). Failing that, do I absorb Stone Gas (1/16)? Failing that, do I absorb Windfall (1/4)? If I failed each of these checks, I absorb Needles. This is also explains situations where you absorb nothing (e.g., You already have Needles on Riki and failed to get any of the rarer skills) and why you may notice you shift back and forth between say Needles and occasionally Windfall when overwriting the same slot. Magnetic Storm is a lie, do not chase it.

Kagon fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 8, 2021

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Kagon posted:

What you're talking about, I believe, is the monster form that gets chosen. What Ace was referring to is the skill that's absorbed when you absorb a monster- essentially, it checks to see if you absorb the rarest skill, failing that moves to the next, etc. until you get to the last skill which has a 100% of being absorbed. For the monster transformation you get, the skill in the last slot gets highest priority due to the old system always overwriting that skill (which is now gone in remastered).

Edit: to use an example, I have Riki absorb a Crystal Tree in my futile attempt to get Magnetic Storm. First, it checks do I absorb it Magnetic Storm (1/32). Failing that, do I absorb Stone Gas (1/16)? Failing that, do I absorb Windfall (1/4)? If I failed each of these checks, I absorb Needles. This is also explains situations where you absorb nothing (e.g., You already have Needles on Riki and failed to get any of the rarer skills) and why you may notice you shift back and forth between say Needles and occasionally Windfall when overwriting the same slot. Magnetic Storm is a lie, do not chase it.

Ah, right. Also, thanks for answering something that had been bugging me since I started playing the Remaster, which is the removal of the overwrite slot for monsters. I kept thinking something was off whenever I'd look at Riki's techs but I could never put my finger on it!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Kagon posted:

For the monster transformation you get, the skill in the last slot gets highest priority due to the old system always overwriting that skill (which is now gone in remastered).

In the remaster it's the new skill you absorbed that gets priority, not necessarily the last slot. The actual behavior of monster transformations is the same (ie: it looks at the new skill first, then the rest of them are looked at from top to bottom)

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I wish it was possible to lock in your monster form and just absorb random poo poo to get your HP up. As I understand it, having gotten the skills for Black Dragon, I'd have to replace and regain one of them to alternate between something garbage and something good?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
No, leave the black dragon skills alone and absorb over some random crap you don't care about.

You'll switch back and forth between black dragon and other random forms (because the game only looks at the first skill for each icon, and the newest skill gets the highest priority, so it'll sometime 'hide' one of the black dragon skills), but your hp goes up over time as you keep absorbing new skills.

You only get the max hp for your first time absorbing a given skill, so if you're doing a bunch of NG+ eventually you'll have absorbed nearly everything and can stop absorbing stuff unless you need a WP refill.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

In the remaster it's the new skill you absorbed that gets priority, not necessarily the last slot. The actual behavior of monster transformations is the same (ie: it looks at the new skill first, then the rest of them are looked at from top to bottom)

This is good to know and makes a lot of sense. Also helps explains some monster shifts I got that were not expected.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mosperiburg & Riki’s final dungeon are both indoors, right? So I can dump photosynthesis?

I also have water cannon on him for the Vergil fight. Is that his end boss? Or is it right before the final dungeon?

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Mosperiburg & Riki’s final dungeon are both indoors, right? So I can dump photosynthesis?

I also have water cannon on him for the Vergil fight. Is that his end boss? Or is it right before the final dungeon?

I can’t speak for whether they’re both flagged to not allow photosynthesis to work, but you’re likely safe to dump it regardless unless you’re planning on using Kylin to Light Shift to force it to work.

Virgil isn’t the last boss, but his fight is after the point of no return. The final boss comes shortly after. You can reconfigure your party and equipment, but you won’t have an opportunity to fix Riki’s skills, so go into that fight with what you would want for the final boss + water cannon if you want to trivialize Virgil. If you would rather extend the fight for a better skill, any combination of water cannon + sonic cannon can chain with themselves/each other to create a number of level 4 combos.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Kagon posted:

I can’t speak for whether they’re both flagged to not allow photosynthesis to work, but you’re likely safe to dump it regardless unless you’re planning on using Kylin to Light Shift to force it to work.

Virgil isn’t the last boss, but his fight is after the point of no return. The final boss comes shortly after. You can reconfigure your party and equipment, but you won’t have an opportunity to fix Riki’s skills, so go into that fight with what you would want for the final boss + water cannon if you want to trivialize Virgil. If you would rather extend the fight for a better skill, any combination of water cannon + sonic cannon can chain with themselves/each other to create a number of level 4 combos.

Another easy level 5 combo is tentacle+four thunderbolts and if you're willing to waste a slot on water cannon too then that's the steam cheevo, assuming everyone is faster than Virgil.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

Does that work? I never tested it, but I thought that any changes during those fights were undone as soon as the battle ended.

Anything you absorb in those fights stays absorbed. You just can't gain stats from those fights (you can get stats from some other regular fights in there though). I guess this won't work on Asellus though since her absorbs seem to get reset even if you keep mystic stuff in NG+.

Harrow posted:

You can fight Kylin there? Huh, I thought getting Time Lord to absorb Kylin would be impossible. Neat.

They are one of the enemies in the extra fight up to the right of the regular bosses. It's a Ring Lord fight with a different minion setup including Kylin and Suzaku (and Mariche like regular ring lord). I haven't setup triple Mariche on anyone but Zozma and some others have 1-2 copies and Nusakan is something like 99 in every stat except concentration is 98.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Can you get Zozma in any of the Fuse case files? I'm working my way through Asellus's story as the last one I have to do but completed Emilia's case file and didn't see him anywhere in that one.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
You get him automatically in Asellus’s case file

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Ok excellent, that answers that- thanks!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Someone on Reddit made a Fuse recruitment spreadsheet that's a pretty helpful reference: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bYcFYKDfzgteFbuU0dIcqGt4NSgIUMUqfvAz2i6Xmus/edit#gid=0

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Last night Cotton finally learned StoneGas but he won't turn into a Crystal Tree, despite having all the other moves needed. 697 HP isn't enough? I had an easier time getting Thunder to turn into a Black Dragon on my Asellus file.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I stopped in Vergil's Funhouse, I'll get back to this game one day but I got other things to play too.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Mill Village posted:

Last night Cotton finally learned StoneGas but he won't turn into a Crystal Tree, despite having all the other moves needed. 697 HP isn't enough? I had an easier time getting Thunder to turn into a Black Dragon on my Asellus file.

What form is he in instead? If you can show that and the skills, it may help diagnose what's going on there. It may be that you either don't have enough prime hp (essentially the hp the monster has before you factor in what the form gives you), or you're meeting qualifications for other forms that are taking priority over Crystal Tree, or both.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Kagon posted:

What form is he in instead? If you can show that and the skills, it may help diagnose what's going on there. It may be that you either don't have enough prime hp (essentially the hp the monster has before you factor in what the form gives you), or you're meeting qualifications for other forms that are taking priority over Crystal Tree, or both.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Riki wasn’t dead when I killed Earth Dragon so he was able to absorb Scalding Gas :getin: now he can be 2% evil 98% hot gas

I got Spray of Life on Gen and DSC on Fei, not sure if I should keep grinding or go to Mosperiburg.

Edit: I’m trying to see if I can teach Gen Solar Blade… lol I am gonna mess around with that before I go to the final area.

Oh poo poo he just learned it, nice!!!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 8, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I re-ran Blue's story so I could also finish it as Rouge and I guess SP/WP cap at 250 still. I figured that'd be the case but I was hoping it was higher. I'll just have to settle for doing 80-85k damage with a shadow servant boosted Tower spell before swapping over to weapon moves. :black101:

Also realize that once you finish everyone's stories you can get a NG+ file with Red's final move if you feel the desire to do so (it's more damage than lifesprinkler and seems to combo better too).

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

So Butch just requires Poison Needle for one of it's forms- that could be responsible. The other thing is that your prime hp is 268 which may be a bit low for Crystal Tree. I haven't found anywhere that actually lists what minimum Hp you need to shift into it. My guess is you may need 300+ hp which would be 8 new skill absorbs. So if replacing poison needle doesn't do it, I would just keep absorbing new skills while keeping Siren (since that's pretty nice for AoE).

Another thing you could do to check if it's something due to prioritization would be to absorb Blade from the mantis enemies- they show up in Biolab pretty often. If there's still no shift, you likely need more prime hp.

Kagon fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 9, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I re-ran Blue's story so I could also finish it as Rouge and I guess SP/WP cap at 250 still. I figured that'd be the case but I was hoping it was higher. I'll just have to settle for doing 80-85k damage with a shadow servant boosted Tower spell before swapping over to weapon moves. :black101:

Also realize that once you finish everyone's stories you can get a NG+ file with Red's final move if you feel the desire to do so (it's more damage than lifesprinkler and seems to combo better too).

I like how running Blue’s scenario a second time or Fuse’s Blue case file with NG+ lets you double the JP again (well, it hits the cap, but still). I do love those 80k Shadow Servant Towers without even having to grind to level JP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Yep. And in my case when Rouge won I got a bunch of WP and skills because I'd picked up most sword and gun techs in other characters' playthroughs. Though IIRC those stats never get doubled regardless of who wins and it was just a case of NG+ stuff helping me out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yep. And in my case when Rouge won I got a bunch of WP and skills because I'd picked up most sword and gun techs in other characters' playthroughs. Though IIRC those stats never get doubled regardless of who wins and it was just a case of NG+ stuff helping me out.

Yeah, physical stats stay the same. After the duel, the game updates both Blue and Rouge’s data regardless of who won the duel. It gives Rouge Blue’s Intelligence, Concentration, Psychic, HP, and JP, then doubles both characters’ casting stats. It leaves the rest of their physical stats and skills alone, so if Blue learned physical skills Rouge won’t have them and vice-versa.

I’ve been really enjoying the turbo-Blue I’ve trained up. He managed to learn Spray of Life before Roufas did and got DSC just a few battles after Liza. A blessed Blue I guess. Less insane outside of his own scenario since he doesn’t have Overdrive but still a huge asset to the boss rush dream team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Why the gently caress doesn’t dodge touch or Blood Chalices work against the Magma Slimes, gently caress you game

Edit: I thought blood chalices prevented damage to LP, what am I thinking of?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 9, 2021