Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
What matters is where the cartoon fits into the timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is kinda funny how Link's canon personality (such as it is) ended up being pretty much the opposite of the cartoon. Does make sense given Link is meant to be at least partly a blank slate protagonist, though that's always been common with video games. (and not just because it's easy. But definitely often because it's easy)

Both that and the CD-i games seem to do the same thing in making Link an adventure junkie who's bored to tears if nothing's trying to kill him.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is kinda funny how Link's canon personality (such as it is) ended up being pretty much the opposite of the cartoon. Does make sense given Link is meant to be at least partly a blank slate protagonist, though that's always been common with video games. (and not just because it's easy. But definitely often because it's easy)

Both that and the CD-i games seem to do the same thing in making Link an adventure junkie who's bored to tears if nothing's trying to kill him.

I know that Tigtone is completely wrong as Link but his absolute obliviousness to QUEST! and the really obvious references to the Zelda game formula can not be ignored.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It gets really implicitly funny when you have BotW speedruns where he wakes up from stasis to bomb jump into the castle, steal ingredients to cook exactly one meal, and saves Hyrule within 15 minutes without ever putting on pants. I suppose that's where a blank slate protagonist pays off: memes.

Icedude posted:

So you're saying this isn't too inaccurate?

https://youtu.be/lDPRwLlpdTU

Even some of the comments there agree it's really not far off.

Probably doesn't help that 'barely functional idiot savant' is a tried and true anime protagonist formula for both action and comedy.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hyrule Warriors has a plot point that once Link gets the Master Sword, he starts getting more reckless and arrogant, so that checks out.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
noclip.website now has both the N64 and 3DS flavors of OoT available for perusal.

https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1390836260864942086?s=20

I obviously remember the N64 more fondly in my memories, but seeing them alongside underscores what a nice job they did on the 3DS overhauls. Would be over the moon if they came to Switch but since the DS version of 64 seems relegated to the DS I don't have my hopes up.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I loved the texture and model improvements that they made but man the animations, especially running, just seemed off to me somehow. Maybe it's the non-garbage framerate.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
so are there people who only ever played BOTW on master mode? can i meet them?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

I loved the texture and model improvements that they made but man the animations, especially running, just seemed off to me somehow. Maybe it's the non-garbage framerate.
yeah the running animation always seemed to me like a victim of being made for 20 fps and then just not being really updated besides having the rest of the frames filled in so it looks really slow and awkward when it looked snappy originally

i think the rest of the animations are fine though, and also they improved significantly with MM3D where most of the animation, especially for the transformations, were actually updated instead of just recreated.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

so are there people who only ever played BOTW on master mode? can i meet them?

Like playing any game on hard mode first, I imagine it's not that big of a deal in practice as long as you get used to how things go. I mean, early game is still hell, but people play Dark Souls.

Actually, early game being one of the hardest parts, mostly due to your limited options, piddly weapons and how long it takes to get more than three hearts of health, seems a Zelda staple.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just don't know how I could conceivably do it.

I guess it makes confrontations less of a choice. Like you maybe pick a dude to pick off for his bow and move on? How do people take on whole mobs of blue bokoblins with four hearts?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Don't get hit?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Backstab them when they're asleep at night?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

toss them off a cliff?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Electromax posted:

I obviously remember the N64 more fondly in my memories, but seeing them alongside underscores what a nice job they did on the 3DS overhauls.

It had been so long since I played the N64 versions when the remakes came out I remember thinking that the visuals were a pretty decent upgrade but they're so beyond that. I can't play the N64 versions again because they look like complete poo poo, they've aged like a fine milk.

Shame too because to play the co-op mod for both you're stuck playing on the N64 version.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Augus posted:

toss them off a cliff?

Blow them off a cliff with a korok leaf.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, so my spouse and I beat Breath of the Wild (we play games like this together) and we had a few questions.

Is the DLC enjoyable or is it just a bunch of really hard missions?

We love the idea of multiplayer in the BotW universe, so how good is Hyrule Warriors?

What enemies keep resurrecting via Blood Moon after you beat the game? It seems like the Guardians don’t, but the Lynels and other minibosses do, as well as lesser foes.

Thanks in advance, posting pals.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What enemies keep resurrecting via Blood Moon after you beat the game? It seems like the Guardians don’t, but the Lynels and other minibosses do, as well as lesser foes.

You need to hang around Hyrule Castle town more, you'll get your answer alright.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You’re scaring me!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The new main quest is fun and worth it, also it gives some nice little backstory for all the champions.

The side quests are kinda neat treasure hunting kinda deals and the rewards are cool and useful.

The Master Sword trial is horseshit but can be ignored if you feel the same.

Zat fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 8, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Okay, so my spouse and I beat Breath of the Wild (we play games like this together) and we had a few questions.

We love the idea of multiplayer in the BotW universe, so how good is Hyrule Warriors?

The main DLC quest is somewhat polarizing but I think very good.

The DLC final boss is by a wide margin the best, most satisfying fight in the game. Not overly difficult though, no

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

blood moons reset literally everything except permanent story progress. treasure chests will refill, items placed around the world will replace themselves, and yes guardians will come back. even guardian scouts inside shrines will come back!

pretty sure the only thing that doesn't come back is the treasure chests inside shrines.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Can you play Master Mode off the bat? I thought it only unlocked after you completed the game, but then it's been about four years since I played BotW so I can't really remember.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Frankston posted:

Can you play Master Mode off the bat? I thought it only unlocked after you completed the game, but then it's been about four years since I played BotW so I can't really remember.

It’s available from the start but I believe it’s behind the DLC paywall.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Amppelix posted:

blood moons reset literally everything except permanent story progress. treasure chests will refill, items placed around the world will replace themselves, and yes guardians will come back. even guardian scouts inside shrines will come back!

pretty sure the only thing that doesn't come back is the treasure chests inside shrines.

Chests do not refill during Blood Moons. There's only one overworld location with respawning chests.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Gats Akimbo posted:

Blow them off a cliff with a korok leaf.

Lmfao I never thought of this.

I also had to look up the lost woods navigation solution because I honestly didn't think the wind and the embers on a torch would be indicative of anything useful.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

My roommate and I had a blast playing Age of Calamity together, but make sure you download and try the demo before buying - they did a great job of making it look and sound like it’s in the BOTW canon, but it’s still a Warriors game and the gameplay is still fundamentally different. If you go into it expecting another Zelda game you’re going to be very disappointed.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

maltesh posted:

Chests do not refill during Blood Moons. There's only one overworld location with respawning chests.
Yeah ok, that was the part i was not quite sure about. I must've gotten it confused with the eventide chests.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I might be the only one here who hates AoC. It’s a totally different game with LoZ characters pasted over it. I still play it with my kid because he loves it but it is absolutely not a LoZ game in any meaningful way as far as I can tell.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Loucks posted:

I might be the only one here who hates AoC. It’s a totally different game with LoZ characters pasted over it. I still play it with my kid because he loves it but it is absolutely not a LoZ game in any meaningful way as far as I can tell.

Eh, it's a totally different game style. Neither of the Warriors games has really grabbed me gameplay-wise, I like the idea and vibe, but I never even bothered to do a second battle in the AoC demo because it was already feeling samey to me. I've pretty much stopped thinking about it, it's okay if a side series didn't turn out to be for me.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Oh, it’s fine. I’m not mad that I don’t like it, just saying that enjoying e.g., BotW has no bearing on whether one might enjoy AoC unless the draw is just really loving the appearance of the characters.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Loucks posted:

It's a Dynasty Warriors game with Zelda characters, for me that's pretty much the perfect crossover game.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I don't care for Hyrule Warriors. It is really not a fun game, to me.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Loucks posted:

I think AoC is a blast and I still 100% agree with you. It’s absolutely not a Zelda game, it’s a Warriors game with a Zelda skin slapped on. It’s great if you like Warriors games and are into the BOTW lore - I love BOTW and even though this is my first Warriors game I’m loving that aspect too - but if you don’t like the Warriors gameplay style or you go into it expecting it to be a Zelda game, you’re gonna be disappointed

I think Nintendo could’ve done a better job at clarifying this in their marketing - I see a ton of people on social media upset that it isn’t a Zelda game

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I have more hours clocked in Hyrule Warriors than in BOTW. By only a small margin, but something definitely clicked with me.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Goblin Craft posted:

I have more hours clocked in Hyrule Warriors than in BOTW. By only a small margin, but something definitely clicked with me.

I hate the static map in the upper left. It doesn't change orientation as you move. And you have like three different arrows for the characters. And initially you can only really do 3 hit combos over and over and over. A couple other attacks and two different systems for mana.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I also asked because Breath of the Wild is the first Zelda game that really appealed to either of us. She’s never played any others except maybe the first two when she was a kid in the 80s, and I think I tried those two around the same time plus Ocarina of Time when it first came out. We like the lore and art style and would love to play together.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’ve given up on BotW2 any time soon, but it would be cool to get the anniversary release of some of the better Zelda games for the switch. I missed almost all of them and refuse to buy an old console just to play them.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

:mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I care for Hyrule Warriors. It is really a fun game, to me.

But yeah, Warriors games are pretty divisive and I definitely understand people not being into it, same as how I wouldn't like a Zelda game that was made to be a Dark Souls type clone or RTS game.

Goblin Craft posted:

Hyrule Warriors is also a much, much, much longer game than BotW if you want to complete it. Again, Jirard took over 1,000 hours to 100% Hyrule Warriors, and even going for all the korok seeds in BotW isn't going to get you anywhere close to that.