Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yes? Because I don’t super care about the Watsonian rationalization, just the narrative result. In the comics he can make a plausible claim to the name Invincible at first and it makes the fight with Omni-Man all the more impactful.

Here, him calling himself Invincible is farcical. It’s like a self deprecating joke.

I haven't read the comics, but I thought the narrative result in the show is that Mark didn't win the day by having the bigger power level or better power alone. Proving Omni-man's philosophy/mindset/worldview wrong is more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I finished the last 3 episodes last night before bed and this show is absolutely amazing. Just a really incredible and groundbreaking show that I love to love.

I’m still collecting my thoughts but what Nolan put Mark through, the sheer indescribable horror and carnage of the subway specially... maybe one of the most hosed things I’ve literally ever seen. There’s lots of different kinds of evil at work in this show, but the way Nolan’s humanity sort of sloughs off of him during the fight as he became enraged at Mark’s weakness, all of it was just unbelievable. I’ve watched an absolute metric fuckload of prestige drama and superhero shlock in the last year and I don’t ever remember my jaw just hanging open like that for 5 minute straight before, I really could not believe what I was seeing.

I spent the entire season thinking Cecil was Billy Bob Thornton, lmao

I never read the comics, but it seems like the show is not following along and is sort of doing its own thing?

JJ and Sandra Oh are phenomenal in here! The cast is out of this world! I even grew to love the Smurf twins by the end.

The overall beats are the same, they've just move things around to make things more cohesive and they've updated it to be more modern. The cliffhanger of this season happens around issue 11 but there are stories in this season from issue 30+! Overall it's a real solid improvement on the comics that still shows love to original material.

The subway scene is really haunting, it's hard to imagine how much worse that would be than just seeing those people die. You would be feeling them literally break apart, scream and die over your body in waves. It would be an assault on every sense. It's hard to imagine a more horrifying experience.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

shirts and skins posted:

Is it just me, or did the animation get better as the season went on? Maybe I just got used to it.

It goes up and down IMHO, I guess the main difference is that there were more critical action scenes towards the end and those tend to get a bigger share of the animation budget

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Here, him calling himself Invincible is farcical. It’s like a self deprecating joke.

Yeah it definitely changes the context of his name. But he comes up with that title soon after he gets his powers. It’s then immediately dispelled but by that points it’s too late.

This is why I think the Omni Man fight had to go harder on the civilian violence than the comics. In the comics seeing Mark bleed is a huge surprise. In the show we already know he can come back from worse. So it’s more about psychological torment instead of just body blows.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jedit posted:

Well, that's the Post/Username Combo Award won for the week.

Mark's choice of alias is a reference to how all teenagers believe they're invincible and will live forever.

Again, I do not care about how the writers are rationalizing it to themselves in the text anymore than I care about when someone justifies sexy ninja ladies distracting their foes with their lack of clothing. It makes Mark hard to take seriously as a superhero and a protagonist. There is a place for struggle and overcoming but he accomplishes INCREDIBLY little this season. By the end of the season seeing Mark get completely thrashed yet again is just tedious.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 8, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He’s like... the second most powerful superhero in the world. He helps beat the Flaxans, Doc Seismic, protects some ppl on Mars, puts up a good fight against Machine Head before Battle Beast ditches and the Guardians rescue him, beats the Reanimen...

Yeah he takes more damage than in the comics because they shuffled plot lines around but he accomplishes a lot. Just as much as in the comics.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I thought he came across plenty powerful. Still vulnerable in some ways and obviously not the most powerful being in the universe but still leagues ahead of basically every other non-JK Simmons hero. I love that he actually got beat up and took some Ls instead of breezing through everything - it's not One Punch Man.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Again, I do not care

Then why write these screeds? Whether you get it or not (looks like you don't!) why waste all this time complaining about the show in your head not matching the one everyone else watched as though that discontinuity is the show's fault?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Invincible had to pick a name that started with I because he had to have the Image Comics logo for a costume.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

IBS Man

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

zoux posted:

Invincible had to pick a name that started with I because he had to have the Image Comics logo for a costume.

Intractable

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Again, I do not care about how the writers are rationalizing it to themselves in the text anymore than I care about when someone justifies sexy ninja ladies distracting their foes with their lack of clothing. It makes Mark hard to take seriously as a superhero and a protagonist. There is a place for struggle and overcoming but he accomplishes INCREDIBLY little this season. By the end of the season seeing Mark get completely thrashed yet again is just tedious.

He's had powers/been a hero for less then year at most by the end of the season. Mark survived a beating from the most powerful being the planet has known. You know, the being that torn apart the world's most powerful hero team in minutes?

It's not about rationalization. Mark's not a hero that wins the day through pure might. We take him seriously has a protagonist because he's struggling to figure himself out, but wants to do good.

The only one I found a bit disappointing was Mark getting somewhat resoundly wrecked by Machinehead's cronies.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
About Mark getting his rear end handed to him at the end (and not before)- I think it was done to leave no doubt that Omni-man could absolutely have killed him but he chose not to. If he was left with just a bloody nose, you would wonder if Omni-man was actually stronger than his son, that the fight might have been a coin toss and Omni-man didn't want to take the chance on dying. The show makes it clear that he was capable of and determined to kill Mark.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Oxyclean posted:

He's had powers/been a hero for less then year at most by the end of the season. Mark survived a beating from the most powerful being the planet has known. You know, the being that torn apart the world's most powerful hero team in minutes?

It's not about rationalization. Mark's not a hero that wins the day through pure might. We take him seriously has a protagonist because he's struggling to figure himself out, but wants to do good.

The only one I found a bit disappointing was Mark getting somewhat resoundly wrecked by Machinehead's cronies.

There is absolutely no shame in getting bodied by battle beast

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I don't have a problem with Mark losing a lot, just with the way they moved things around so it seems like literally everything fucks him up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Give Mark some credit, to be able to stick to your guns despite the beatdowns is impressive.

Like at no point during the final fight did he ever consider his dad is right and join him to conquer Earth.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

What bugs me is all the loving teeth getting knocked out. Maybe Viltrumites grow teeth back like sharks or something but otherwise the superheroes must have one hell of a dental plan.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The tech in that universe suggests they might be able to replace teeth.

I will agree that Battle Beast being moved up earlier in the narrative reduces Nolan’s scariness a little. Like there are other aliens out there that can go toe to toe with Viltrumites, or at least the younger ones.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yes? Because I don’t super care about the Watsonian rationalization, just the narrative result. In the comics he can make a plausible claim to the name Invincible at first and it makes the fight with Omni-Man all the more impactful.

No? He's far more invincible than any of the Guardians of the Globe ever were.

This is like complaining that Bat-man is in fact not a Bat.

Also the fact that his superhero name is a little over-stating his abilities is a very teenager thing to do.

He saved the first men on Mars from getting killed by Martians, and prevented Earth being invaded by interdimensional aliens, so I don't know what you expect from a first timer superhero.

JT Smiley posted:

I don't have a problem with Mark losing a lot, just with the way they moved things around so it seems like literally everything fucks him up.

I think its more supposed to be a DBZ style take where he starts weaker and as others have said, gets stronger as he pushes himself. So like, yeah, lots of things on the level of superhero poo poo is going to body him at first, but exposure to that makes him stronger rapidly. That seems fine to me? It allows for him to have a "growing-up / training" story beat, while still ending up vastly more powerful than anybody else on Earth. I don't see the problem. We have 2 seasons coming where he'll be more powerful, having the first season have him a bit weaker so he can have smaller scale stories seems smart?? Its not like we can realistically go backwards, at least not without a whole story arc about him becoming depowered.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 9, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm curious if anyone complaining about Mark losing is familiar with the history of other superheroes like, say, Spider-Man. Maybe this isn't a thing in more recent continuity but Spidey's thing has always been struggling to get even a dignified loss when he faces off against baddies that are a step above street thugs.

To apply this with more recent media, Mark is seeming like Clark throughout Man of Steel, he has these godlike powers but he is so green that what really carries him through most encounters is his perseverance and seeming invulnerability. Clark gets absolutely manhandled by the other Kryptonians since they are all trained combatants and know how to fight. Likewise, Mark is still figuring out how powerful he is but he is determined to not give up, so he can take a LOT, but can't really give it back against opponents that are on a more equal footing.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
It also then becomes a show about him eventually, truly, earning the name, "Invincible." I can see it being aspirational.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

He saved the first men on Mars from getting killed by Martians,

This reminds me, in the comics, the country throws a huge parade to honor Invincible for saving the Mars mission astronauts, but the only time you get to see it is on the cover

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Casnorf posted:

Intractable

Imbattable

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Indefatigable

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Inconceivable?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Iocane

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Indefatigable

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Whether it was in the comics or not I don't really care, because watching our protagonist actually take damage in fights was really nice and refreshing. You didn't even know if Mark would win each fight he took on, how cool is that?

The only fight that didn't make sense to me was Mark vs the first Reaniman cyborg. It was just weird that some douchebag in a sewer welded some metal onto people and suddenly they were as strong as the strongest people on the planet

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but Cecil hiring him and immediately putting him to work was pretty realistic, I bought that part right away.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm pretty sure you see Mark level up at least in two seperate episodes. I can't remember exactly where, but there was two, maybe more, different fights where he has basically had enough and there is like a blast and he knocked the poo poo out of whoever he's fighting. I think one was when the new guardians were fighting amongst themselves at their trial?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

starkebn posted:

I'm pretty sure you see Mark level up at least in two seperate episodes. I can't remember exactly where, but there was two, maybe more, different fights where he has basically had enough and there is like a blast and he knocked the poo poo out of whoever he's fighting. I think one was when the new guardians were fighting amongst themselves at their trial?

It was one of the Flaxan invasions where Atom Eve had her airway blocked and she was about to be killed by their general or whatever and the MachineHead fight before the new Guardians showed up.

Speaking of which, how far along into the comic is Battle Beast supposed to show up, because everyone keeps going 'No yeah that about tracks with his strength as established so far.'

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It was one of the Flaxan invasions where Atom Eve had her airway blocked and she was about to be killed by their general or whatever and the MachineHead fight before the new Guardians showed up.

Speaking of which, how far along into the comic is Battle Beast supposed to show up, because everyone keeps going 'No yeah that about tracks with his strength as established so far.'

He first appears in Invincible #19, which is what episode 5 was based off. In the comic he still critically injures Black Samson but instead of Monster Girl and Mark it's another (comics-only) hero.

He shows back up in #55 which is where he fights opponents more his strength level. Should be an arc or two from now, depending on how they structure things.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

RareAcumen posted:

His first appearance is issue #19, which isn't too long after the big Invincible vs. Omni-Man fight. The introduction plays exactly like on the show, only Machine Head actually introduces his hired guns. He doesn't seem to really know who Battle Beast is outside of a brief description, nor that he's lucked his way into hiring him.

The best description I've seen is if Spider-Man went after the Kingpin and he was all, "First you must take on my henchmen! I have Bullseye, Hobgoblin, Vulture and... whoever this Thanos guy is. I'm sure he'll do fine."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like this season really intentionally sets up Mark getting his rear end kicked over and over because it wants to really lay the groundwork for him not giving in to Nolan in the final episode. He’s not Invincible because he can’t die, he’s invincible because he doesn’t ever give up. That’s his super-hero origin story. At his lowest moment, right before the climax, he’s like “IM GIVING THIS UP, THIS SUCKS, ITS ME THE GUY THAT DOESNT QUIT AND HERE I AM, QUITTING!” and then he has his entire world rocked completely to its foundation and is immediately subjected to graphic and violent psychological trauma no Earthling is really capable of comprehending, and he still refuses to give up, even when it’s obvious he will die.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's a really good superman. It's what I like about the show; it's just Superman without the baggage.

I don't know how the show is going to survive next season, without the very specific tension Omniman brought to the show AKA it can't keep on doing the Homelander thing anymore. I don't know if I'm that interested in watching a generic superman show, even with Bad Dad and his army of Space Fash.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The impression I got was that Mark was not winning fights because he wasn't willing to be violent enough to win fights. His dad can just flip on the murder switch because he sees everything on earth as insignificant.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ruddiger posted:

This reminds me, in the comics, the country throws a huge parade to honor Invincible for saving the Mars mission astronauts, but the only time you get to see it is on the cover

Lol I remember this, and them saying in the book comments that they hated parades and drawing them was also a nightmare so it’d be funny to put that in the cover and then not feature it at all, except for maybe one tiny reference on a tv in one scene in the issue.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
just binged this and i liked it very much. JK Simmons did an amazing job, Steven Yeun wasn't bad at all, the only gripe i really had with it was the animation style which i don't like too much. but story and voice acting were great

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Watching the corridor crew ‘X reacts’ series on YouTube really put into perspective how difficult drawing these series is and the reasons for some of that style - some homage, some practical etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So... Is Robot a pedofile? Are we supposed to just roll with a 30 year old man falling in love with an adult woman with the body of a child? Like, i understand that societal norms have to take a backseat to storytelling and so on, especially in universe here... but is Rudy's thing "Yes I was a horribly deformed mutant baby... but also I am a pedofile... and now that I've found an adult woman who looks like a child, I can finally have a 'normal' life."

because my reaction mostly mirrored the Teent Team's reaction, just a big 'ol "WHAT DA FUQ?" from me.