Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Pylons posted:

Absolutely losing my poo poo

sin contract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tonfa posted:

That Jiro was Taishi Takizawa. Tall guy who has forever slummed it up in 2AW, formerly known as TAKA Michinoku's K-DOJO.

The new Jiro is Ikemen, who's a charisma guy with a jacket gimmick and absolutely hosed on arrival

i choose to believe the WWE hired him because they think its the same Jiro

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Blaise330 posted:

fun fact, Aleister Black's first main roster match was on Main Event like a year before he got called up. Think he squashed Bo Dallas or something.

iirc it was curt hawkins, and they did it to pop the locals b/c it was during their european tour. i think maybe the same week where aj beat jinder? and/or the week where pete dunne was on raw to murder enzo? idk.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Aleister Black beat Curt Hawkins on the Main Event taped at the venue (O2 Arena in London) for the May 8, 2017 episode of Raw.
AJ Styles beat Jinder Mahal on the November 7, 2017 Smackdown taped at the Manchester Arena. Pete Dunne beat Enzo the night before in the same building.

So same year, all on UK tours, but none on the same night.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn’t Sin Cara Triple H’s first big project?

Haha

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
that was Sin Cara 1

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CarlCX posted:

the conversation made me look up 205 Live on cagematch to see who was even on it recently and apparently at various points and especially in the early days of the pandemic they decided they were just too busy to bother with the cruiserweights so they played taped matches instead

except sometimes it's not even cruiserweight matches

This is a legitimate question...

Considering the network got a Billion dollars on Peacock, I am surprised there is absolutely no interest in a broadcast/cable network doing a "from the vault" type show with classic WWE content. Main Event is syndicated internationally and on Hulu in the US. I don't think 205 Live airs anywhere, so it's understandable why they'd just replay old matches. But is there seriously more interest in newer content, even if it is matches that mean nothing and offer nothing special to the viewers?

Maybe I'm wrong. Because stuff like ESPN Classic got phased out for on demand services. It's not like they play old superbowls. Or maybe they do and I just don't know.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

This is a legitimate question...

Considering the network got a Billion dollars on Peacock, I am surprised there is absolutely no interest in a broadcast/cable network doing a "from the vault" type show with classic WWE content. Main Event is syndicated internationally and on Hulu in the US. I don't think 205 Live airs anywhere, so it's understandable why they'd just replay old matches. But is there seriously more interest in newer content, even if it is matches that mean nothing and offer nothing special to the viewers?

Maybe I'm wrong. Because stuff like ESPN Classic got phased out for on demand services. It's not like they play old superbowls. Or maybe they do and I just don't know.

They don't care about the old content, they wanted an infusion of new subscribers and live content. Just look at how little care was put into getting the existing archive on Peacock. The old stuff wasn't really watched on the Network, let alone actual TV.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

they put the 1992 Rumble up on YouTube the week of this year's Rumble and it like almost definitely had more viewers than the current product so it probably just depends on the event

I don't think you'd get too many viewers for a cable show devoted to old matches but a decently curated one would probably draw more eyes than whatever they stick on 205 Live

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

strange technical issue with this post. Removed it to keep the thread clean

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 8, 2021

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Astro7x posted:

They do syndicate stuff like "WWE Vintage" internationally. It's actually kinda insane how much stuff they produce outside of the american market - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_television_programming

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Cesaro can't just beat Rollins clean to prepare him for this title loss?

Who convinced Vince that Reginald needs to be in a women's segment on both brands every week? I want to fight them.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Sees "Baron Corbin pins Shinsuke Nakamura in an 8 man tag"

Ah, another great use of Shinsuke's talent and time I see

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/FightfulWrestle/status/1391121620274610178?s=20

They’ve adapted quickly

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I guess the tears in your knee tendons grow.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Quote on first parse gave me a laugh picturing them telling Ricochet he should have grown six inches at the PC

Also lol ya the cult can never fail it can only be failed~

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
the performance center is probably great if you are already a really good wrestler and are now surrounded by all the really good wrestlers the WWE collected and have held hostage in NXT for years now

the problem is if you are not already a really good wrestler and they make you do goofy crossfit poo poo until your legs fall off and give you 3 minute matches

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Just look at the success stories they have, like Shinsuke Nakamura, Finn Balor, Aleister Black, Asuka, Kairi Sane, Apollo Crews, Bobby Roode, Ember Moon, Ivar & Erik, Keith Lee, Kevin Owens, Killian Dain, Oney Lorcan, Nikki Cross, Ricochet, Sami Zayn and Ruby Riott - all of whom were trained and only trained at the WWE Performance Center, and absolutely nowhere else ever.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This kinda reminds me of those dipshits at the beginning of the pandemic that kept saying things like "it's your own fault if you don't learn a new skill during this pandemic now that we have plenty of free time".

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

Cesaro can't just beat Rollins clean to prepare him for this title loss?

Who convinced Vince that Reginald needs to be in a women's segment on both brands every week? I want to fight them.
he beat him clean at Mania already in a very good match so it’s typical WWE brain to run the same match back on TV but make it worse in every conceivable way, in case Cesaro would gain too much momentum or anything

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
wow just sleeping on PC success stories such as Braun Strowman, Omos, and........ Mace maybe??

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Blaise330 posted:

wow just sleeping on PC success stories such as Braun Strowman, Omos, and........ Mace maybe??

the one i see brought up is Bianca Belair which I want to agree with but I also don't watch WWE but i liked her at mania!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pylons posted:

This kinda reminds me of those dipshits at the beginning of the pandemic that kept saying things like "it's your own fault if you don't learn a new skill during this pandemic now that we have plenty of free time".

Yeah, I learned how to work remotely.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

the one i see brought up is Bianca Belair which I want to agree with but I also don't watch WWE but i liked her at mania!

I haven't watched WWE since Mania 36 but as I recall, Bianca Belair is good. Honestly, I'd say it's in spite of the WWEPC.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I feel like for whatever reason, WWEPC/developmental has a much better track record with women than man. Some of that might just be the numbers game, if you will.

Main roster women who don't appear to have wrestled prior to WWE: Alexa Bliss, Bianca Belair, Carmella, Charlotte Flair, Dana Brooke, Eva Marie, Lana, Liv Morgan, Mandy Rose, Naomi, Nia Jax, Sonya Deville
Main roster men who don't appear to have wrestled prior to WWE: Angelo Dawkins, Braun Strowman, Bray Wyatt, Chad Gable, Commander Azeez, Dolph Ziggler, Montez Ford, Omos, Riddick Moss, Rinku Singh, Roman Reigns, Titus O'Neill

It's twelve and twelve unless I'm missing someone, but a bigger proportional group among the women. There are obviously hits and misses in both camps, and most of the biggest hits (Charlotte, Roman, Dolph) predate the actual performance center.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Edge & Christian posted:

I feel like for whatever reason, WWEPC/developmental has a much better track record with women than man. Some of that might just be the numbers game, if you will.

Main roster women who don't appear to have wrestled prior to WWE: Alexa Bliss, Bianca Belair, Carmella, Charlotte Flair, Dana Brooke, Eva Marie, Lana, Liv Morgan, Mandy Rose, Naomi, Nia Jax, Sonya Deville
Main roster men who don't appear to have wrestled prior to WWE: Angelo Dawkins, Braun Strowman, Bray Wyatt, Chad Gable, Commander Azeez, Dolph Ziggler, Montez Ford, Omos, Riddick Moss, Rinku Singh, Roman Reigns, Titus O'Neill

It's twelve and twelve unless I'm missing someone, but a bigger proportional group among the women. There are obviously hits and misses in both camps, and most of the biggest hits (Charlotte, Roman, Dolph) predate the actual performance center.
Gable 100% wrestled pre-WWE: https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=15197&page=4&search=betts

Charlotte trained some at the Highspots school under George South before going to FCW.

Bray first came along in the era when they wanted second generation prospects with no previous experience to go through Harley Race's school first , didn't he?

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012
You can make an argument for Velveteen Dream, but most of that was learning how to do basic poo poo really well, and at the right time.

Also y'know gently caress him

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MediaPlayerClassic posted:

You can make an argument for Velveteen Dream, but most of that was learning how to do basic poo poo really well, and at the right time.

And he doesn't seem like he's able to do basic stuff really well because his matches are bad.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

davidbix posted:

Gable 100% wrestled pre-WWE: https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=15197&page=4&search=betts

Charlotte trained some at the Highspots school under George South before going to FCW.

Bray first came along in the era when they wanted second generation prospects with no previous experience to go through Harley Race's school first , didn't he?
I totally missed the Gable stuff, and I was considering asterisking Bray/Charlotte/Roman/etc. on the same grounds I realize I omitted Dominik Mysterio, that they trained (but to my knowledge did not actually have matches in front of audiences) prior to joining with WWE.

I was going to say "turns out that if you are born into a wrestling family or are an elite athlete, you pick up on this stuff better than other people" but then I realized that the only people who go directly into WWE without working indies are either people born into wrestling families, elite athletes, or I guess for some period time women Johnny Ace finds attractive. And a lot of the first two categories end up washing out too.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I totally missed the Gable stuff, and I was considering asterisking Bray/Charlotte/Roman/etc. on the same grounds I realize I omitted Dominik Mysterio, that they trained (but to my knowledge did not actually have matches in front of audiences) prior to joining with WWE.

I was going to say "turns out that if you are born into a wrestling family or are an elite athlete, you pick up on this stuff better than other people" but then I realized that the only people who go directly into WWE without working indies are either people born into wrestling families, elite athletes, or I guess for some period time women Johnny Ace finds attractive. And a lot of the first two categories end up washing out too.

It endlessly amuses me that Regal chose to send his son to the NJPW dojo rather than the PC.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pylons posted:

It endlessly amuses me that Regal chose to send his son to the NJPW dojo rather than the PC.

Pretty sure that was Dave Finlay, not Regal. And he was right to.

Looking at the improvement and success of other developmental wash-outs like Juice Robinson or Tay Conti, I wonder how Fred Rosser'll go in NJPW.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Pretty sure that was Dave Finlay, not Regal. And he was right to.

Looking at the improvement and success of other developmental wash-outs like Juice Robinson or Tay Conti, I wonder how Fred Rosser'll go in NJPW.

No, Regal did it as well.

I'm not surprised, Regal talked about his time in NJPW like it was a real bright spot of his career.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MediaPlayerClassic posted:

Dream worked on the indies for a few years before NXT picked him up

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

El Gallinero Gros posted:

No, Regal did it as well.

I'm not surprised, Regal talked about his time in NJPW like it was a real bright spot of his career.

Well, he tried. It was right before the pandemic started so I'm pretty sure nothing ever happened. His son just recently debuted in NXT UK

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pretty sure Dream was the only one on his season of Tough Enough that actually had experience before the show. (Not counting Chelsea Green, who was a replacement)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

MassRafTer posted:

And he doesn't seem like he's able to do basic stuff really well because his matches are bad.

He had a 5 * match!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

They've learned how to shill for WWE which is the only thing the PC teaches

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Well, he tried. It was right before the pandemic started so I'm pretty sure nothing ever happened. His son just recently debuted in NXT UK

Regal’s kid showed up as one of the track suited ringside young boys on a bunch of NJPW shows, he was definitely there for a while.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Dolph was doing amateur wrestling since age 9. I don’t think it’s fair to call him an OVW guy.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The thing about the MSK interview is that I'm sure there ARE a ton of awesome learning opportunities at the PC—just look at the coaching staff—but it's likely a much different experience for people who went almost directly to a pushed role on TV.

And by the way, Re: the Finlays: Dave Jr. did wrestle before he went to the NJPW dojo, first in Georgia indies and then for an extended stay doing holiday camps in the UK. His brother, Brogan, who's 18, just started working GA indies himself. I believe that Fit trained them both to start off.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

davidbix posted:

The thing about the MSK interview is that I'm sure there ARE a ton of awesome learning opportunities at the PC—just look at the coaching staff—but it's likely a much different experience for people who went almost directly to a pushed role on TV.

And by the way, Re: the Finlays: Dave Jr. did wrestle before he went to the NJPW dojo, first in Georgia indies and then for an extended stay doing holiday camps in the UK. His brother, Brogan, who's 18, just started working GA indies himself. I believe that Fit trained them both to start off.

Please tell me he wrestles as Bulk Brogan