Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

Is there any way to fix dynamic difficulty? It's starting me on like legend or hall of fame and I absolutely cannot hit on those difficulties lol. I noticed it recently because I was getting annoyed I was struggling. The thing said it's supposed to start on beginner and work its way up based on how you do but I swear it's just put me on like hall of fame from the start.

I guess I should just set it to all star or veteran or something? Beginner was way too easy. I was hoping dynamic would work and make it harder if I'm doing too well but it just seems to say gently caress you and immediately puts it on like legend for me which I'll strikeout 5 times a game on. I don't get why when I set it on dynamic it doesnt start easier and then get harder? Unless there's a setting I'm missing. Like the tooltip says that it should start on beginner and get harder but it's starting off way too fuckin hard for me and not getting easier even when I strikeout a hundred times

I've never used it but yeah that sounds broken, I'd just leave it on veteran and see how you do then move it up to all star when that feels too easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Stefan Prodan posted:

I've never used it but yeah that sounds broken, I'd just leave it on veteran and see how you do then move it up to all star when that feels too easy

Yeah I think I'll try that for a while. I tried beginner but that was definitely way too easy. I was going like 5 for 5 every game with multiple home runs. I think I'll just try to work myself up the difficulties for a bit and see how that goes. I just want a nice difficulty where I can do well but it still feels challenging. I dunno if I'll ever be good enough with the pci to do like Legend or Hall of Famer though. It feels like you have to be so exact with it on those difficulties or you don't even make contact let alone get a hit.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
It's not as bad as you think, I'm not great but I practiced on legend for awhile and you can still make ok contact with the edge of the pci if your timing is good and you get a bonus if it's towards the middle of the strike zone

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Stefan Prodan posted:

It's not as bad as you think, I'm not great but I practiced on legend for awhile and you can still make ok contact with the edge of the pci if your timing is good and you get a bonus if it's towards the middle of the strike zone

Yeah I've been playing with the dynamic difficulty for a while and I've managed to hit around 200 at times so I'm not completely god awful but I'm still pretty bad.

The annoying thing about the pci on higher difficulties is it's so sensitive and you can easily overcompensate with it. But it's also hard to just sit on a location with it. I'm sure most of my problems are just me being new to the game/bad though.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are any other DD player seeing huge hitting increases so far? Like everyone on my team is OPSing 1400 right now.

(This isn't a backdoor brag; it seems like everyone I play has more or less the same thing for everyone in their lineup also)

(I am still not an elite hitter by any means)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I've been playing with the dynamic difficulty for a while and I've managed to hit around 200 at times so I'm not completely god awful but I'm still pretty bad.

The annoying thing about the pci on higher difficulties is it's so sensitive and you can easily overcompensate with it. But it's also hard to just sit on a location with it. I'm sure most of my problems are just me being new to the game/bad though.

I'm not playing 21, but I played 20 and had some similar dynamic difficulty issues where it seemed to increase very easily, but it was hard to make it decrease. What I did was just up the sensitivity (assuming that's a slider buried somewhere), so if you have poor performance, your difficulty will drop faster than normal. (It'll go up faster than normal, too, but maybe you can let it drop for a bit and then set it to normal?)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Game has been out for two weeks and the servers are still dogshit please fix so that the game stops eating my progress thank you

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I can pretty much only play the game when other people are at work or asleep lol

As soon as it turns like 8 PM EST servers crash for a few hours, every day

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

For the 3rd year in a row I’ve unlocked Mike Trout without spending any real world money :smugdog:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Every time I get one of these stupid games, I'm forced to use a plural version of my last name for the announcer audio, as that's the closest available. It always bugs me, especially because my last name is a first name, which is in the game. But I know the reading inflection is different and it would sound really wrong if they let me use the first name. So I dealt with it.

Until today, when I found some AA jobber in RTTS that has my last name! "That's neat," I thought, "it's auto-generating fake players to fill rosters and it added my name to the available name pool. I wonder what announcer audio it uses."

HE'S A REAL PLAYER. MOTHERFUCKING VASGERSIAN SAYS MY NAME RIGHT, AND SO DOES THE STADIUM ANNOUNCER, I JUST CAN'T SELECT IT FROM THE LIST. WHAT THE gently caress SONY

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ALFbrot posted:

Every time I get one of these stupid games, I'm forced to use a plural version of my last name for the announcer audio, as that's the closest available. It always bugs me, especially because my last name is a first name, which is in the game. But I know the reading inflection is different and it would sound really wrong if they let me use the first name. So I dealt with it.

Until today, when I found some AA jobber in RTTS that has my last name! "That's neat," I thought, "it's auto-generating fake players to fill rosters and it added my name to the available name pool. I wonder what announcer audio it uses."

HE'S A REAL PLAYER. MOTHERFUCKING VASGERSIAN SAYS MY NAME RIGHT, AND SO DOES THE STADIUM ANNOUNCER, I JUST CAN'T SELECT IT FROM THE LIST. WHAT THE gently caress SONY

Stephen Vogt is a whole-rear end major league player and Vasgersian recorded it wrong seven years ago and it's still in there. I hate it. I hate it so much.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
My name is selectable but after churning through a bunch of ABs and hearing my name with the exact same cadence over and over I switched it to Big Daddy Daddy and its been 1000% better

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I just play with announcers turned off.

And there's nothing even close to my last name available lol

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I just play with announcers turned off.

And there's nothing even close to my last name available lol

I don't think my actual last name is in there, but my RTTS players have been named Mike Hunt or Mike Hawk for many seasons now.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CellBlock posted:

I don't think my actual last name is in there, but my RTTS players have been named Mike Hunt or Mike Hawk for many seasons now.

Dick Butts

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
My first name is only in the game as a last name (although there's a first name that's off by one letter), and there's only an alternate pronunciation of my last name. So every time the announcers say my guy's name, it makes it seem like they're reading it for the first time ever without preparing, and getting it wrong.

Still beats the NHL series, which only has my middle name as a commentary option.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

ALFbrot posted:

An MLB player has my actual name, except he pronounces it incorrectly. That's not a debate. It's a regional name with a clear origin and his family left the region generations ago and left the proper pronunciation behind.

So if I use my name, they'll have it but also pronounce it wrong.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Ok, here's a dumb question.

I'm at bat. There's a heat map. Is it mine? Is it the pitcher's? What does it represent? Balls I hit in the red zone will be hit better, so look there? The pitcher throws more there?? What is it??? This has plagued me for years.

E: also doing this Perfect Catfish challenge, multiple people are 0-3 in the 8th inning, not really a thing that can exist in a perfect game 🙄

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 8, 2021

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the heat map is the players.

There are rumors that the darkest red heat map gives a 5%ish boost to contact and a dark blue one gives a negative, but as far as I'm aware that's never been confirmed one way or another by SDS.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

MJBuddy posted:

An MLB player has my actual name, except he pronounces it incorrectly. That's not a debate. It's a regional name with a clear origin and his family left the region generations ago and left the proper pronunciation behind.

So if I use my name, they'll have it but also pronounce it wrong.

Sounds like your clans need to go to war and sort this out.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Extra inning rule certainly brings out the worst in me. Bottom of the 10th inning, Trout starts on second, I put in Lofton, steal 3rd,suicide squeeze to get home. But all of a sudden I understand people who have been using bunt cheese poo poo for years, that was way too easy.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Deathlove posted:

E: also doing this Perfect Catfish challenge, multiple people are 0-3 in the 8th inning, not really a thing that can exist in a perfect game 🙄

also for some reason it had the #9 hitter come up 2nd in the 9th inning, then the last batter is Buxton.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ihatepants posted:

also for some reason it had the #9 hitter come up 2nd in the 9th inning, then the last batter is Buxton.

I thought it was weird that Buxton was batting ninth! Also he was 0-2 with a walk. As the 27th out of a perfect game.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

maniacripper posted:

Sounds like your clans need to go to war and sort this out.

I just follow and reply to him on twitter asking him why he can't pronounce his own name correctly after every time he promotes things

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Got the World Series reward for the first time in ever. Really like that they just give it away at 40 wins, probably to hook Xbox users, hope that keeps up.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was too busy grinding team affinity to get any of the rewards other than the 1st inning but I'm really close to getting Jackie now and I have 500k stubs from trading the old fashioned way, never did get the grem trick to work haha

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

My last name is uncommon and kind of weird-sounding and doesn’t have a voice line. The nicknames I’ve been called in my life are all variations on my last name, and one of those nicknames happens to be an actual last name that has a voice line in the game so I use that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i just wish they finally put in "monarchs" for DD team name. i have no idea why this isn't included.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

There’s no way that voice lines for “Outer Heaven Diamond Dogs” will ever get added, but Matt V referring to my DD team as “The Sandlot Sluggers” year after year has really grown on me.

Like death, I’ve accepted the inevitability of San Diego Studio eventually pulling a RTTS for DD logos and not migrating them in some future game.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Deathlove posted:

Ok, here's a dumb question.

I'm at bat. There's a heat map. Is it mine? Is it the pitcher's? What does it represent? Balls I hit in the red zone will be hit better, so look there? The pitcher throws more there?? What is it??? This has plagued me for years.

The heatmap is based on the real-life advanced stats heatmap the MLB started leaning heavily into around 2018. AFAIK it provides no actual boosts to your batting, it's just a way to show you what pitch locations you are seeing/hitting well against and what pitch locations you are not hitting so well against. Just another visual feedback tool for fine-tuning your PCI placement (you hear that directional players? PCI PLACEMENT)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I dunno what it is but I just cannot slow myself down enough on outside pitches in online matches, even fastballs I get "just early" sometimes and when people throw me sliders or curveballs I get either early or very early every time no matter how much I try to slow down. Even when I consciously try to slow down I get "early" at best and I'm just like what the hell!! I feel like if I swing any slower it will be behind the catcher by the time I actually swing.

I'm not sure why but it really does feel like playing online on all-star (in the events or where I'm at in ranked seasons) feels much harder than batting practice, even besides the fact that people are throwing more effective pitches, it just seems like the ball is like coming at me faster but when I swing faster I'm early every time, I dunno what's up with that. I can't tell if the actual animation is being affected by lag somehow in a way that's loving me up.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
The latest patch broke RTTS

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol what a broke rear end game

still pretty fun when you can play it

I completed Jackie and I'm almost done completing the NL East for Tom Glavine

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I cannot recommend enough using Anthony Rizzo as an opener in ranked seasons.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Even with no magic Grem Hax, I'm 600k away from completing the live collection, which is pretty sick. I only have left to buy Trout and 4 Yankees.

If you want to do any flipping at all, anyone in the thread, Friday is absolutely the day to do it. Tons of packs get opened because of all the new cards, and I think I made like 100k in an hour or something of flipping on like a 200k budget. I mean it's very boring and all but you can do something else while you do it very easily, whether you're using the console or PC.

I think my ultimate lineup is going to be something insane like.

LF - Alfonso
CF - Trout
RF - Buxton (not sure if I should switch these two and let Trout take the off role hit and put him in RF because he's slower?)
3B - Chipper
SS - Created Player
2B - Jackie
1B - Papi
C - idk Realmuto so far since he has a cannon and people love stealing online

It's insane that I'll have to bench like Acuna, Finley, Ernie Banks, but there's just too many good players!!!

I'm getting slowly better at hitting too which is really satisfying, I have a 67% winrate in the events which I think is like not terrible, I'm batting .275 in seasons with a 3.3 ERA and around 600 rating now. I mean .275 is pretty bad considering my team is all monsters, even though I don't have the above team yet I still have like Acuna instead of Trout, Gallo instead of Chipper, Freeman instead of Ortiz, but honestly it's better than I thought I'd be doing a month in of really playing a lot, and I feel like it won't take me too long to be able to really start hitting well hopefully.

I still cannot recognize a slider early enough or slow up enough on it, haha.

It's really insane though that I've spent a month on this game granted playing a lot and doing trading stuff while I'm working but I did the same thing with FIFA and had a "very good" team that still cost 1/5 of what the real whales had, a month into this I almost have the best actual team possible in the game with no money spent

Oh yeah if anyone wants to level up your CAP this is by far the fastest way, it might get patched sometime so if you have a few hours I definitely recommend doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o45R-y29rQ8

Basically there's already a thing where you can sim through RTTS to get credit for stats and quickly max out an archetype, this guy took it even a step further by editing the roster of every other team in the RTTS so that everyone has 1 in every stat and you get like several hits a game and sometimes the game just basically never ends and you get (no joke) 100+ hits in a game. So this makes the grind way less harsh if you just download his rosters and use those, and leveling up your CAP even to gold gives you a player that's like equal or probably better than the 99 overall Chipper.

I would recommend doing the path "Sparkplug -> Slugging Sparkplug -> The Hawk" because that ends with a power hitting shortstop which does not conflict in position with any of the current 99s, which the other ones mostly do (the exception being the RF path I think?)

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 17, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
well i'm back in my normal "scratch and crawl my way to around 800 then get matched up against stupid good players repeatedly and go on losing streak" groove

i'm sure corbin burnes is very nice in real life but I'm starting to really hate him. he's even worse than kluber was last year or kersh was in 19.

Stefan Prodan posted:

C - idk Realmuto so far since he has a cannon and people love stealing online

my general impression is catcher's arms aren't much of a difference maker again this year, especially with super basestealers. you pretty much have to slide step and/or catch them with a pitch out.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 17, 2021

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
How do you even steal in this game? I'm playing RTTS so maybe it just has to do with my guy being slow as gently caress. If I try to get a big lead, the pitcher immediately sniffs it out and throws a pick off throw, often nailing me in the process. If I don't take a big lead, then I get thrown out by a mile when I go to steal. I've varying the timing of when I extend my lead and no matter when I try to do it the computer always sees me extending the lead and starts picking me off or trying to until I stop doing it.

Maybe with the right loadouts/gear it's more doable without having a huge lead? As it stands I'm probably like a 5% success base stealer lol. So I've pretty much stopped trying. But I'm not sure how I'd be good at it even if I focused on it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Baserunning in general is absolute poo poo in RTTS.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Hold back towards the base on the stick instead of leaving it neutral. Don't take more than one step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty decent in online modes, maybe it's balanced around that. I play Realmuto strictly because people try to steal so much instead of the TA Salvador Perez, and it's literally won me games I think, where people assume getting Lofton on base is an auto steal and then I throw them out.

But I mean that's not to say you can't steal, I have also at the same time failed to throw out people with perfect catcher throws off of slide steps, but with less good catchers since that's mostly during the current event (silver players only)