Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the Klingons declared war on the Federation on DS9. I believe when the whole Klingon situation was straightened out and the Khitomer Accords were reinstated, the UFP was at war with the Dominion/Cardassian Alliance by default due to treaty.

Other than that, it's hard to say, because the few other known wars during that period (vs. the Cardassians pre-TNG, vs. the Tzenkethi) aren't shown on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Infidelicious posted:

TLDR: If you have an organization that bears responsibility for fighting wars, it's a military.

Just because it's not a carbon copy of the US Navy in space doesn't mean it isn't one.

Starfleet is an organization that:

A.) Is responsible for the defense of the Federation and it's interests.

B.) Builds armed "exploration ships" that are fully capable of 1v1ing their aggressive and militaristic neighbors' purpose built battleships.

C.) Names a high percentage of these heavily armed exploration ships after historical warships.

D.) Uses military rank structures and discipline, and runs a military academy.

E.) Is considered to be a Military by every one of their major neighbors, and has fought in wars against nearly all of them.

It's absurd to believe that they are not a military solely because they claim not to be, because they conform to literally every aspect of what constitutes a military other than it's primary purpose being conducting war.

Let's be honest in the end it is certainly a case of semantics, Starfleet does handle wars / the military thing but I will make one comparison that might fight better than the usual example of modern militaries: historical "warrior" classes.

Human history is full of examples where the line between civilian organizations/classes and those we would consider the "military" is blurred. Let's take a religious order like the Knights Templar. They considered themselves to be more than just "soldiers" and similar to Starfleet covered a huge range of responsibilities that would go far outside of that of any modern military and most importantly they'd claim (let's ignore how earnest that was) that their function only serves god, that they only fight to protect their religion.

I think Starfleet should be viewed through a similar lense. It isn't JUST like any regular modern military organisation (just as Federation economics aren't) and their "crusade" is exploration and science. Will they do the fighting if it needs to be done? Yes, just like any warrior class in human history that consisted of privileged citizens, religious leaders or nobility but they also wouldn't have shared our understanding of "military" or being a mere soldier. They had functions in society that shaped their lifes far more.

Let's also not forget that for most of human history those who fought in wars were average people who wouldn't have considered themselves to be "soldiers", they were farmers, artisans etc. who just happened to fight for whatever reason.
So if Picard says "Starfleet isn't a military" I take it to mean "Starfleet doesn't consist of soldiers and doesn't think like a military either" and there is enough to merit such a stance. Maybe Picard should have added "but we can act as military and are prepared to do so if this is required of us", They are basically a futuristic militia of a scientist class who happens to have some very powerful guns. ;)
This also explains nicely why the Federation is relatively weak in regards to its military strength (they really shouldn't have problems to deal with the Klingons for example) despite having access to so many resources, an enormous population and technological knowledge.

Also look at Wolf 359, the poor display by the Federation against a single Borg cube is much better explained if you see them as "space militia" who scrambled to muster a proper defense because it simply isn't like a "standing" army (military) who is in a constant state of preparing for war. This gets emphasized further by the fact that a project like the Defiant was only launched AFTER such a distrous display. Any real military organization would have seen it as its duty to be much better prepared and wouldn't waste the technological advantage the Federation obviously has over other major powers, just like no real military would ever agree to something like the khitomer accords.
On the other hand this definition of a "scientist space militia" also leaves enough room for individuals who see this weakness and might want to shift the balance towards a more organized military side and that's where the evil Federation admirals get their time to shine.

Still considering the size of the Federation and its population Starfleet always seemed rather "small" to me, even their headquarter is extremely modest for such an organization and the numbers (be it ships or personel) is certainly tiny if it would be a proper military.
Like I said, Starfleet not being too serious about the military aspects of the organization does provide a good (canon) answer to why the Federation doesn't easily dominate its part of the galaxy because in theory they should be just as overwhelming in strength as the Dominion is to the Alpha/Beta quadrant.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So the Klingons declared war on the Federation on DS9. I believe when the whole Klingon situation was straightened out and the Khitomer Accords were reinstated, the UFP was at war with the Dominion/Cardassian Alliance by default due to treaty.

Other than that, it's hard to say, because the few other known wars during that period (vs. the Cardassians pre-TNG, vs. the Tzenkethi) aren't shown on screen.

It's probably similar to how modern NATO members see it when they are involved in "wars". I mean Germany didn't declare war on Serbia when they joined the NATO operation in the Kosovo conflict and it should be noted that it's often called "the kosovo conflict" and the term "war" gets avoided. It was justified as humanitarian war effort and I'm not saying that it wasn't or that it was wrong but it's probably the best analogy to the kinds of "wars" the Federation would have including defensive wars (though I doubt the Federation was really obligated to respect the alliance with the Klingons because I doubt it allowed for a "first strike" policy which the Klingons employed, the Federation reentered that alliance just for pragmatic reasons).

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 9, 2021

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

A lot of post-Enterprise beta canon stuff has tried to retcon it so that yes, MACO has always existed and is still an active part of Starfleet in the TNG/DS9/VOY/LDS/PIC era, you just didn't see it on screen because... gently caress you.

Prequelitis retconens is a terrible wasting disease with no cure, but there is a preventative measure: isolating points of contamination and mercilessly excising them before their gangrenous rot contaminates the entire franchise.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
That also just seems entirely unnecessary when Beyond's idea of "MACO was dissolved and their personnel given a place in Starfleet when the Federation was formed" works pretty simply and effectively

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Starfleet stopped using MACO after an experiment gone mad tried to summon meteor to destroy Gaia

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Qo’noS is dyin’, Kirk!”

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thotsky posted:

They don't really say what replaced it, seemingly treating a similar question from one of the frozen people in the TNG episode "The Neutral Zone" with bemusement. Since Riker is the one smirking at the question we can probably surmise that for him the answer is casual sex.

What we do see other people do for entertainment is socializing, engaging in sports or artistic pursuits. Music and literature appear to still be popular. You know, healthy enlightened choices and all that. Holodecks are a relatively new phenomenon and not a direct replacement for television, and it seems telling that we get multiple episodes about escalating and unhealthy uses of the holodeck.

People who do appear to have some knowledge of television are mostly 20th century enthusiasts. I choose to consider episodes breaking with this reading as being non-canon oversights or bad, so it's not surprising if Picard has some.

TV is just theatre, but advanced, it's an artistic pursuit. Videogames are likewise basically just "every other art medium before, combined + interactivity." I get the real reason for dogging TV back in the 90s and how "watching TV" is fundamentally different than "making TV," but the way it's put, makes it sound like nobody consumes art, they're all too busy making it. Go out to a poetry slam and nobody listening, just waiting their turn to speak... or maybe that's how it works already? Never been to a poetry slam. People go around making fun of lazy slobs just listening to music, like those dinguses don't know they can just use their infinite free time and money to just get good at music makery.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You gotta listen at a poetry slam, so you know when to slam

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When wars break out, Starfleet runs around shooting people with their peace guns, and as they bleed out, they are consoled by the fact that actually they were shot by an unarmed noncombatant.

There really doesn't seem to be the sentiment in the show itself that they're nonmilitary. Pacifists sure don't sign up to Starfleet. Beyond just the rank structure, there is a rigidity to the command structure that I think generally isn't associated with any real-world civilian organizations, but is commonly expected in a military organization. The shows never seem to have any problem with their military identity.

A military organization can get involved in various nonviolent missions, but it doesn't change the fact that they're armed and expected to fight when fighting may be needed.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The fact that Starfleet considered themselves explorers, scientists, diplomats and humanitarian relief workers PRIMARILY and expresses that self-perception when asked is actually a good thing beyond the semantics because it implies that they are trained to think of use of force as a last resort, as opposed to their primary mode of operation. Which bears out in the fiction.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The contradiction between Starfleet clearly being a military organisation and the show ocassionally say 'no these are peaceful science-exploration warships' is that is was a show created by a coked up Hollywood liberal who wanted to portray a post-scarcity utopia but also had no firm ideology and still venerated the armed forces he'd served in, so you have this weird hodgepodge of vaguely defined and seemingly contradictory institutions where the protagonists are the military but woke but also when push comes to shive definitely a military

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I keep hearing people say that majel said gene was a maoist by the 70's at least but I don't know how true that is and also lol yeah roddenberry and his drug abuse

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Lets not forget this was all muddied by like 4 movies that gene had no control over that leaned hard on military protocol that gene hated. He is said to have hated 2,3,4,5,6 cause they represented more miltitaristic star fleet. TMp is more his vision. Which is lol 70s

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just pretend those guys hanging around in football pads in TMP were MACOs

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just think it's worth accepting that when some new aliens of the day are apprehensive about a starfleet ship and consider it a warship, they're not being ignorant savages; they're being totally rational about the massive ship that could laser them into smithereens.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Still one of my favourite intakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kntMdtzG5a8

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I just think it's worth accepting that when some new aliens of the day are apprehensive about a starfleet ship and consider it a warship, they're not being ignorant savages; they're being totally rational about the massive ship that could laser them into smithereens.

Yup. And in TNG: Conundrum, when the whole crew gets amnesia, they take one look at the Enterprise's specifications and immediately conclude that it's a warship. They find nothing odd about the fact that this is the ship that was sent on a daring strike mission deep into enemy territory.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a Greg Bear novel where the humans' ship rocks up in an inhabited alien system, and the first thing the locals do is effectively a customs check for weapons with the rule of "we don't allow that poo poo in our space AT ALL, and if you don't like it you can GTFO." I always thought it would be funny to have aliens insist that the Enterprise strip out all its phaser emitters and torpedo tubes before being allowed into orbit.

The humans make relatively low-tech weapons with the specific intent of surrendering them because they're hiding that their ship is a hell of a lot more advanced than it appears, and wasn't even built by them, on a vengeance mission of "we're looking for the race that destroyed the Earth and killed 99.99% of humanity, and if we find that you're even remotely connected to them we're going to gently caress you up".

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

Yup. And in TNG: Conundrum, when the whole crew gets amnesia, they take one look at the Enterprise's specifications and immediately conclude that it's a warship. They find nothing odd about the fact that this is the ship that was sent on a daring strike mission deep into enemy territory.

I've always liked how they conclude this and then it saves the day because of how hilariously overmatched their enemies are

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Payndz posted:

There's a Greg Bear novel where the humans' ship rocks up in an inhabited alien system, and the first thing the locals do is effectively a customs check for weapons with the rule of "we don't allow that poo poo in our space AT ALL, and if you don't like it you can GTFO." I always thought it would be funny to have aliens insist that the Enterprise strip out all its phaser emitters and torpedo tubes before being allowed into orbit.

The humans make relatively low-tech weapons with the specific intent of surrendering them because they're hiding that their ship is a hell of a lot more advanced than it appears, and wasn't even built by them, on a vengeance mission of "we're looking for the race that destroyed the Earth and killed 99.99% of humanity, and if we find that you're even remotely connected to them we're going to gently caress you up".
This is our disintegrator shovel. Please don't up the power output or it could be a dangerous weapon.

These are our laser flashlights. Please don't up the power or it could be a dangerous weapon.

This is our monowire survival knife. Please don't extend the wire out too far, or it could be a dangerous weapon.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Powered Descent posted:

To be fair, this is actually an absurdly stupid assumption for them to make given what we know about the D. It's a ship where a huge portion of its interior volume is devoted to housing families and it literally has its own school system. Most of the rest of it is theoretically occupied by storage and equipment for exploration operations and things like that.

Someone with no knowledge of its mission at all should look at those specs and be asking questions like "why is this floating hotel armed to the teeth?" It'd be like looking at a Royal Caribbean cruise ship with a Tomahawk missile launcher and assuming that it must be a warship instead of just being wildly confused.

It's basically the least warship-y ship from any Star Trek show.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"What are our offensive capabilities?"
"Quantum torpedoes, phaser banks... and organic Andorian ice pears from... an arboretum."
"That's normal. Nothing strange about that. Fire the pears."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

"What are our offensive capabilities?"
"Quantum torpedoes, phaser banks... and organic Andorian ice pears from... an arboretum."
"That's normal. Nothing strange about that. Fire the pears."

"My god, those pears are going through their shields like they're made of tissue paper. Our ship is far too well-armed for this to be a war!"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

To be fair, this is actually an absurdly stupid assumption for them to make given what we know about the D. It's a ship where a huge portion of its interior volume is devoted to housing families and it literally has its own school system. Most of the rest of it is theoretically occupied by storage and equipment for exploration operations and things like that.

Someone with no knowledge of its mission at all should look at those specs and be asking questions like "why is this floating hotel armed to the teeth?" It'd be like looking at a Royal Caribbean cruise ship with a Tomahawk missile launcher and assuming that it must be a warship instead of just being wildly confused.

Isn't that literally part of the arc of the episode? The crew start looking closer at the Enterprise and realise that their warship has a bunch of children on it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Isn't that literally part of the arc of the episode? The crew start looking closer at the Enterprise and realise that their warship has a bunch of children on it.

It's been a while since I've seen it but I'm pretty sure the guy the memory-erasing aliens inserted as the first officer over Riker was there exactly to steer them away from these kinds of realizations. He kept pushing everyone to stay on the warpath all the way up until they realized that the whole scenario was total nonsense.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
It's clear that Gene Roddenberry and the other Star Trek writers didn't fully think through all thematic choices they made for Star Trek, or maybe they didn't care. The Enterprise-D has families on board, which could make sense for a ship that does long-range scientific work, but then they assign the ship to do dangerous tasks close to home such as patrolling the Cardassian DMZ.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I have some thoughts about the Kobayashi Maru. In Wrath of Khan, Kirk said he got a commendation for "original thinking" for hacking the simulation, which suggests that the Kobayashi Maru was not a graded exam. In the 2009 Kelvin-Trek movie, Kirk is put on trial for hacking it. That tells me that Abrams didn't really understand the Kobayashi Maru. It's more akin to a wargame. When the military runs a wargame, "winning" is not the point. The military conducts wargames to give officers exercise in decision-making, or to see how hypothetical tactics and strategies might work in real life. They're not supposed to be trials of passage.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 10, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kurzon posted:

I have some thoughts about the Kobayashi Maru. In Wrath of Khan, Kirk said he got a commendation for "original thinking" for hacking the simulation, which suggests that the Kobayashi Maru was not a graded exam. In the 2009 Kelvin-Trek movie, Kirk is put on trial for hacking it. That tells me that Abrams didn't really understand the Kobayashi Maru. It's more akin to a wargame. When the military runs a wargame, "winning" is not the point. The military conducts wargames to give officers exercise in decision-making, or to see how hypothetical tactics and strategies might work in real life. They're not supposed to be trials of passage.

I’m absolutely positive Abrams understands the Kobayashi Maru and changed it to create drama and plot elements.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kurzon posted:

It's clear that Gene Roddenberry and the other Star Trek writers didn't fully think through all thematic choices they made for Star Trek, or maybe they didn't care. The Enterprise-D has families on board, which could make sense for a ship that does long-range scientific work, but then they assign the ship to do dangerous tasks close to home such as patrolling the Cardassian DMZ.

That was more premise drift. The original idea with TNG during pre-production was that they'd be spending most of their time out beyond the frontier, but over time the show spent more and more time closer to home.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The D had the best sensors, they kept getting assigned to border patrol during cold war flare-ups while awesome subspace novae went unpeeped-at

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Paradoxish posted:

I mean only if you assume by modern standards. In Star Trek provisioning a ship doesn’t seem to be an issue so having families on a warship isn’t that big a deal. Hell bringing a family to a war zone used to be fairly common depending on the culture doing the fighting

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Pascallion posted:

Another IV defender logging on. It’s even better after years of revenge fantasies.

IV is the best in the entire series and I pity anyone who doesn't understand this.

1. It's a fantastic end of the trilogy that started with star trek II
2. It was Nimoy taking on a way to REPAIR what made star trek good with some solid goals and nailing all of them:
- giving each actor a chance to shine
- telling a moral and environmental story that didn't involve war, shooting things, or punching things
- bringing dignity back to the character of spock so that he himself could not feel ashamed of it
3. More to the last part of #2: the scene at the end when Spock finally meets Sarek after his return is way better than people realize. It's the end of a character arch that lasted 30 years on screen.
4. The animatronic whales are some of the most convincing special effects of all time
5. It inspired the creation of real life transparent aluminum
6. The music awesome and anyone who says otherwise is dead wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd3NG2JX6lc

G-III fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 10, 2021

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

. Hell bringing a family to a war zone used to be fairly common depending on the culture doing the fighting

It wasn't unusual in the first half of American history for family members to be in the baggage train.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Started DS9 S7 and I’m stuck on something. In his vision where he first sees his mother, Sisko clearly knows he’s on Tyree. It was just thrown out so casually almost like we’re expected to know where it is — was there some other mention of Tyree before this? To me it just looked like any desert so I’m not exactly sure how Sisko knew it was Tyree other than “he knew because it moves the plot along”.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Started DS9 S7 and I’m stuck on something. In his vision where he first sees his mother, Sisko clearly knows he’s on Tyree. It was just thrown out so casually almost like we’re expected to know where it is — was there some other mention of Tyree before this? To me it just looked like any desert so I’m not exactly sure how Sisko knew it was Tyree other than “he knew because it moves the plot along”.

The prophets did it

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Kurzon posted:

Kelvin Spock gives a thematically similar answer to Kelvin Kirk that Prime Kirk gave to Saavik. "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life, wouldn't you say?" is pretty similar to "The purpose is to experience fear. Fear in the face of certain death."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean only if you assume by modern standards. In Star Trek provisioning a ship doesn’t seem to be an issue so having families on a warship isn’t that big a deal. Hell bringing a family to a war zone used to be fairly common depending on the culture doing the fighting

I think the issue is mostly that bringing family involves leaving them in harm's way, which on a spaceship means permanently exposed to the vacuum of space if it gets blown up. And this is in a setting where most wars take place a month away at worst, which seems pretty reasonable for deployments without families.

Also bringing along the family in historical times was probably both about year long deployments and long journeys and a matter of the warzone being comparably safe for the families (up until defeat), unlike their undefended homes. The Federation should be mostly safe everywhere.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BonHair posted:

I think the issue is mostly that bringing family involves leaving them in harm's way, which on a spaceship means permanently exposed to the vacuum of space if it gets blown up. And this is in a setting where most wars take place a month away at worst, which seems pretty reasonable for deployments without families.

Also bringing along the family in historical times was probably both about year long deployments and long journeys and a matter of the warzone being comparably safe for the families (up until defeat), unlike their undefended homes. The Federation should be mostly safe everywhere.

I mean the ship can eject the families with saucer part.

They rarely do but they can.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
just frisbee those kids out of harm's way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BonHair posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is an artifact of the pre-production concepts for the show, where the Enterprise would be getting way the hell into deep space and the Federation was itself supposed to be really big. Like, the TNG tech manual has the Federation spanning a volume of space so large that even a Starfleet ship would take months (or even over a year? need to refresh myself on the tech manual) to transit it. The idea was originally "how can we ask people to just not have family for a stretch of several years at a time? well, maybe we shouldn't ask that of them"

Then as time went on the setting shrank and by the time the Dominion War rolls around, Deep Space Nine is only like a few days away from Earth, if that.