Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skull Servant posted:

Is that why Pfizer are putting massive amounts of marketing for boner pills in pharmacists now? Every time I walk by one now they have a bunch of posters or boxes saying NOW WITHOUT PRESCRIPTION!!

I think that's more a consequence of patent exclusivity being long gone and generic competition meaning they can't charge big money so they have to go for volume. Then I guess however long it takes to convince the HPRA to let you sell it OTC.

but yeah if your boner isn't from the Cork region, it's actually just sparkling cock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I misread your post as

Failed Imagineer posted:

Interestingly at least one of Pfizer's 5 Irish manufacturing sites makes vaccines, not just COVID
and was confused by what that meant.

Which then made me think "COVID was made in a factory in County Cork, the same factory where they make the Pfizer vaccine" would make an extremely niche and extremely stupid conspiracy theory.

So we can probably expect to hear Edwin Poots repeat it by next week.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I misread your post as

and was confused by what that meant.

Which then made me think "COVID was made in a factory in County Cork, the same factory where they make the Pfizer vaccine" would make an extremely niche and extremely stupid conspiracy theory.

So we can probably expect to hear Edwin Poots repeat it by next week.

I've already said too much :tinfoil:

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1390401138332250114

lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This is going to get really interesting given that one of the journalists he's been harassing with that account has already gone to the cops over it.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

lmao our very own Trap Honey Queen

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1390432338253910026?s=20

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
They were really projecting hard about shinnerbots. I doubt he’s the only one at it.

Let’s not forget Varadkar was outed as having an anonymous Facebook account early in his career, and suggested running an online army to make pro government comments online.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The "PopulistWatchIR" account was run by a Labour bod trying to undermine Sinn Féin when they looked worryingly popular, got very into boosting Maria Cahill and pushing for the whole "Lor's Laws" bullshit. Shame he didn't pay attention to the Social Democrats instead. Also looks like he got his account suspended in the wake of the Linda Hayden fiasco.

ETA: nope, turns out that version got suspended ages back. His new venture is "watchpopulistir".

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 7, 2021

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
gently caress the shinners anyways.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Quinntan posted:

Uh...huh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/ActingTheGom/status/1389957938366885889?s=19

https://twitter.com/Aidan_Regan/status/1390598825547550721?s=19

:thunk:

Quinntan posted:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Ah nah gently caress my lot too. Idk who to support anymore.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 37 hours!)

Quinntan posted:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Quinntan posted:

The approach I've settled on is to vote as left as I can up top, but then support SF because they're the only legit option to anchor a left coalition. Then use the remaining numbers to reward any non-insane independents and banish all the rest to the phantom zone

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I might take that on bar the SF bit. I've heard some utterly ghoulish tales about the local ones here and I can't in good conscience vote for lads that cheer at the thought of ripping a kid apart with an anti-tank rifle.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh weird it looks like Eoghan Harris has his own SAclopedia entry

"Barbara J. Pym" posted:

Cool & good. Known for posting gifs of WASPS and making Shinners angry.

Columnist for the Sunday Independent

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Quinntan posted:

I might take that on bar the SF bit. I've heard some utterly ghoulish tales about the local ones here and I can't in good conscience vote for lads that cheer at the thought of ripping a kid apart with an anti-tank rifle.

Ok, I'm too tired to try and convince anyone. But maybe consider that you and I have been subject to propaganda for your whole life, and that politicians use propaganda because it works. If your local guy is genuinely a oval office then don't bother voting for them

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Alright, fess up. Which one of yis made that?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Quinntan posted:

Power grows from the barrel of a gun.

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

You can listen to Eoghan Harris being given plenty of rope here https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21950950

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I find this pretty fukkan funny.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0507/1217550-lisa-smith/

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The missus is currently listening to Eoghan Harris being interviewed on RTÉ Drivetime. If you want to hear a confused, pre-senile bullshitter shake his fist against the shadowy forces of Sinn Féin and RTÉ, then knock yourself out, but it's quite aggravating.

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 8, 2021

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Harris has always been pathetic but its fun watching him roll around in his own poo poo.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

What are the odds that Kevin Myers also had access to the Barbara Pym account, since it constantly talked about how great he was?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If Paddy Power would take the bet I'd stick a fiver on it being another John McGuirk special.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Harris didn't come across as a guy who "got" Twitter tbh, he was talking about how he "founded the site a few years ago" which, Big If True

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The idea that he has no idea what it even is but took the fall for it because he thought it'd make him A Big Deal is even funnier TBH.

Standish
May 21, 2001

hmm "Barbara Pym", I wonder how they settled on that name

quote:

It was only at her friends’ repeated urging that Pym excised any reference to Friedbert Gluck, her SS boyfriend with whom she had a love affair in Germany before the second world war.
Byrne doesn’t dodge the uncomfortable implication that Pym’s phase as a Nazi sympathiser (she even had a swastika pin that she wore around Oxford) went on longer than most middle-class Britons in the 1930s, but she is clear too how completely it was bound up with Pym’s feelings for prewar Germany as a land of music, mountains and philosophy and, above all, as a crucial bulwark against the terrifying threat of communism from Russia. It perhaps says something about Pym’s blind spot on the subject that she had to be badgered by her friend and first reader Jock Liddell into excising Nazis from the typescript of Some Tame Gazelle.

quote:

Byrne has unearthed the genuinely alarming information that Pym, in the 1930s, was a reasonably committed supporter of Nazism. She visited Nazi Germany a number of times, had a boyfriend called Friedbert Glück, an SS officer, and met and talked to Julius Streicher. If Jonathan Cape had accepted the first version of Some Tame Gazelle and published it in 1936 they would have brought out a novel, set some way in the future, in which Belinda, who knits socks for the ‘poor Nazis’, reflects ‘how delightful it would be to see if she could still speak German! How she would enjoy remembering with them their lamented Führer’, and regrets ‘the terrible revolution of the 1950s and all the dear Nazis in exile in Africa...’ This version, preserved in manuscript in the Bodleian, might have been enough to stop Pym’s career in its tracks.

Standish fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 9, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Standish posted:

I just assumed he was a fan of Ant-man.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol same, but no of course it's some fash-adjacent poo poo

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I just want to say how loving stupid the rent pressure zones were.

Since they were brought in without fail my letting agency increases my rent every year by the maximum 4%. What sort of freeze is that it's way above any income growth I get.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Standish posted:

gotta hate nazi nerds. Eoghan Harris has a writing credit on the sharpe tv show but I'm not going to let that come between me and young sean bean.

Housing is goign to be our next big social thing. Watch what happens when they pull the PUP next month.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Send every TD and MEP who is a landlord or on the board of a vulture fund to the Burren indefinitely.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Marenghi posted:

I just want to say how loving stupid the rent pressure zones were.

Since they were brought in without fail my letting agency increases my rent every year by the maximum 4%. What sort of freeze is that it's way above any income growth I get.

Stupid but needed.
Before the same letting agencies were doing increases of 50%+ and using their other lettings that were also being increased by 50%+ as justification that it was needed.
It was in Cork here that got the law momentum, one agency printed out a page of 'other similar houses that have this rent price' and turned out they owned all of them.
I know this as this was done to workmates of mine.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
They should have capped it at 0%. It just became an incentive for all landlords to hit the yearly caps.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marenghi posted:

They should have capped it at 0%. It just became an incentive for all landlords to hit the yearly caps.

4% is what REITs look for, so thats what they got. It was only "for renters" in the sense of doing the absolute minimal appeasement while maximally enriching landlords and REITs

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
https://twitter.com/neasa_neasa/status/1393124159887224836

Fine Gael running some anti-bike theft campaign with the guards.

Sticking a few blue bikes around for raising awareness. Also given some terrible advice to engrave your home address to your bike.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Can't wait til a heap of these blue bikes end up in the river

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My immediate thought was "I wanna steal a blue bike".

The eircode thing looks like her having a Good Idea at the end and just throwing it out there.