Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

drat, I really wish you could just drop the cart easily like the rudder instead of having to get your cursor just right on the shafts and hit E. Apparently dodging makes you drop it but that's more of a work around. Being able to easily flip it if it gets turned over would also eliminate a lot of frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Wow Yagluth is a lot less horrible in single player.

And much cooler looking with actual graphics.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

When Skeleton Surprise fires I'm furious because it means I'm about to pick up 1000 useless bones

I'm starting to think that wood arrows shouldn't exist, that flinthead arrows should have wood arrows stats, and bone-tipped arrows should slot in where flintheads are now, just for some use to the things.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

i'm hoping that we might be able to use bones for stuff in future - tools, glue, broth, potentially bonemeal for fertiliser?

I have so many bones.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

i'm hoping that we might be able to use bones for stuff in future - tools, glue, broth, potentially bonemeal for fertiliser?

I have so many bones.

A throne, *obviously*.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm sure that making a throne out of item frames and skeleton trophies would be possible.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Grevling posted:

drat, I really wish you could just drop the cart easily like the rudder instead of having to get your cursor just right on the shafts and hit E. Apparently dodging makes you drop it but that's more of a work around. Being able to easily flip it if it gets turned over would also eliminate a lot of frustration.

If you equip your shield, you can just roll out of the cart handles. Makes it a lot easier than trying to find the sweet spot.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Does corewood not support stone? I am trying to build an elevated floor out of stone to avoid the FPS hit from flattening the ground and it is not going well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

No only ironwood and stone support stone.

The FPS hit from deforming the ground is nowhere near as bad after the recent update.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Corewood can support stone but only a very short distance above the ground, and it won't let you build hardly anything on the stone either. If you want to make a lofted floor you should use stone supports, the big stone walls make good foundation pieces

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

Does corewood not support stone? I am trying to build an elevated floor out of stone to avoid the FPS hit from flattening the ground and it is not going well.

Core wood should be able to support stone for some distance as long as the core wood has high stability. Is the core wood connected to the ground?

thespaceinvader posted:

No only ironwood and stone support stone.

The FPS hit from deforming the ground is nowhere near as bad after the recent update.

I've been able to support a stone floor with purely horizontal core wood connected to one of the plains' spires out to a distance of I think 7 or 8 stone slabs. It was a lot of core wood though.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 9, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fair enough, got that one wrong.

The p[oint about the FPS hit still stands though. It's a LOT better after the update.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I wasn't happy with how ugly the stairs had to be at the top of my old lighthouse so I made new one.

It's supported by iron gates all through the central tower and took around 700 iron to build. Good thing I actually like the swamp:

Love the iron railing:

Custom stairs spiraling around the inside this time:

Deck at the front I'll mainly use for fishing:

I put a tavern at the front for the villagers to drink and party at the lighthouse. (Village population: just me. But I can pretend.) Love how the outdoor dining turned out:

Great view of the rest of my base that's slowly being filled in:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
That is a drat good lighthouse. Congratulations. It certainly makes my attempt look like poo poo. The iron gates as support and railings is such a good idea.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Are iron gates cheaper support than ironwood? That's fantastic

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

No, they're 4 iron instead of 1. But they go something like 27 high instead of 24. My wife made me do it. She wanted to know the difference.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Lozareth posted:

It's supported by iron gates all through the central tower and took around 700 iron to build. Good thing I actually like the swamp:

I also found the swamp fun with 2 people. It feels super frenetic just rushing through the dankness smashing rocks with your picks and swarming enemies. Like you're a pair of locusts just stripping the land of everything worthwhile. Normally in dungeons you're just moving through them and fighting, but something about smashing up all the rocks makes it feel more savage.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Phigs posted:

I also found the swamp fun with 2 people. It feels super frenetic just rushing through the dankness smashing rocks with your picks and swarming enemies. Like you're a pair of locusts just stripping the land of everything worthwhile. Normally in dungeons you're just moving through them and fighting, but something about smashing up all the rocks makes it feel more savage.

The swamp biome is good, it really presents itself as that first challenge with four different enemy types intent on murdering you and an unforgiving environment.

But mining the muddy scrap piles are definitely a bandaid on lack of content. Swamp Crypts are 6-7 generic, small rooms blocked by a wall of sludge at each entrance.

I'm hoping they go the Elder Scrolls/Fallout route and just craft 20+ unique dungeons stitched together with similar assets instead of the procedural hallways they have now.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Tetrabor posted:

The swamp biome is good, it really presents itself as that first challenge with four different enemy types intent on murdering you and an unforgiving environment.

But mining the muddy scrap piles are definitely a bandaid on lack of content. Swamp Crypts are 6-7 generic, small rooms blocked by a wall of sludge at each entrance.

I'm hoping they go the Elder Scrolls/Fallout route and just craft 20+ unique dungeons stitched together with similar assets instead of the procedural hallways they have now.

Yeah I think the swamp itself is decent. Atmospheric and gloomy. It's just the dungeons and the process for getting stuff out of them that's tedious. Mining the scrap and being able to use the remainder to block enemies makes the process slow. And very random with the rewards.

It would be much better to get rid of the scrap walls and make them mineable piles for bones and whatnot and then just have more chests/crypts with iron scraps in them. That way enemies can get at you without being blocked, you don't have to mine every tiny mote of scrap for iron and you can progress through them faster, similar to the dark forest crypts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make the crypts into a Skyrim type dungeon with puzzles and a mini boss at the end, give a guaranteed minimum amount of iron for finishing it.

Also gently caress off with the cramped halls, they're miserable in multiplayer.

Also have them pop up automatically on the minimap like the merchant does. Or fix them not spawning in some swamps, both are fine to me.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I like how short the dungeons are though. I think that is a bg part of why I like how they feel on reflection. I would like to see them more interesting, but I would still like to keep the length. The tempo of just knocking out dungeon after dungeon in quick succession is very nice. They could add some long ones too of course, just don't replace all the short ones they already have. It's a very different feeling of dungeon to what we get everywhere else in gaming.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Some of you guys make beautiful bases. My little hovel pales in comparison. This is my 2nd base, my first was just a rickety shack that was way too small surrounded by a wooden palisade that looked wonky as hell because I didn't understand how to level the ground properly.

On the merchant - is there a guarantee that a merchant will exist on the starting island, or can he be anywhere on the map? I've not found him and I'm wondering if I need to completely explore my starting island to find him or if it's completely random where he will be.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Locator posted:

Some of you guys make beautiful bases. My little hovel pales in comparison. This is my 2nd base, my first was just a rickety shack that was way too small surrounded by a wooden palisade that looked wonky as hell because I didn't understand how to level the ground properly.

On the merchant - is there a guarantee that a merchant will exist on the starting island, or can he be anywhere on the map? I've not found him and I'm wondering if I need to completely explore my starting island to find him or if it's completely random where he will be.

one thing I really like about builiding in Valheim is that even small cabins or outposts can just look very cozy and nice if just little effort is put in small details.

The Merchant has several random locations in every seed, but only the first one you'll discover will be then become the only Merchant on the map. He isn't necessarily on the main island but in my experience many seeds have at least one close by. The map gen is pretty good in getting to know how the world build works, but also is a bit spoilery even if you don't click on all the icons https://valheim-map.world/

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

It's completely random. There are multiple locations he can appear however so it's not all that hard to run into one. He always appears in the Black Forest so prioritize exploring those. One you find him in one location the others.get locked out I believe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

haldolium posted:

one thing I really like about builiding in Valheim is that even small cabins or outposts can just look very cozy and nice if just little effort is put in small details.

It doesn't even really need details, the mechanics of the game basically force even the newbiest noob to make something that looks vaguely period accurate. The lumpy ground, the spiked walls and the chimneys mean it's gonna look properly medieval. The height restrictions on wood mean it's going to look a certain way too, but people usually put their own spin on things to keep it original.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

xzzy posted:

It doesn't even really need details, the mechanics of the game basically force even the newbiest noob to make something that looks vaguely period accurate. The lumpy ground, the spiked walls and the chimneys mean it's gonna look properly medieval. The height restrictions on wood mean it's going to look a certain way too, but people usually put their own spin on things to keep it original.

I mean more basic things, like 1-2 trees extra effort to put in a proper stairwell on the front door or the cross on the pediment. Like in the above pictured base. The bridge sure doesn't need a roof but it just looks great if it does and is 0 effort. The simplicity of current available pieces is good for creative thinking and the visual presentation does the rest. The game is encouraging to do these little things.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanks for the tips, found my trader and got my belt of heavy lifting, bonus, a headband of flashlight and fishing gear.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bonemass freaking sucks

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Bonemass freaking sucks

If you're at Bonemass you have access to good food, poison resist meads, and iron weapons/armor. Use them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Also be aware he's designed specifically to thwart the kite-and-shoot strategy that works so well on basically everything else. Gotta smack him with a mace.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Oh sorry you used your iron bars on a weapon that does piercing or slashing damage? Guess you didnt read the guide that says this boss is basically immune to those damage types. Better go find more swamp slivers with a single crypt so you can craft your whole party iron maces!

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I mean the main enemy type in swamp is undead, the theme of the swamp is undeath, the text on the runes stone talks about “thousand dead” so I’m not sure how many more hints there needs to be that the boss is going to be undead and thus propably not something you use a piercing weapon for...

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
A well upgraded bronze mace is also more than sufficient. The biggest thing we found we just land prep and raising ground in the area

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Valtonen posted:

I mean the main enemy type in swamp is undead, the theme of the swamp is undeath, the text on the runes stone talks about “thousand dead” so I’m not sure how many more hints there needs to be that the boss is going to be undead and thus propably not something you use a piercing weapon for...

I mean it makes sense as a mechanic, but the specific encounter is like 0-100 in terms of “wow my physical damage type is an important attribute to manage”. Prior to the actual boss fight, it doesn’t matter at all.

Sure, skeletons and blobs are technically weak to blunt, but as a player this doesn’t matter to me. What they are also weak to is getting 4 shot by a finewood bow. There are plenty of challenges with the swamp that you need to adapt to (dealing with Dragur physical dmg, poison, and stamina management) but building towards dealing specific physical damage type is not one of them. That is, until you get to the boss, and you’re kinda boned.

It boils down to a balancing issue - they need to emphasize the relative challenge of “oh blunt dmg is required here” if they intend for it to be such an important aspect of a progression gating mechanic. Also it would help if iron weren’t so tedious to collect and finding crypts felt more natural and less like a victim of weirdly optimized world gen rng.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Or maybe if the ooze bomb or alternative could clear out a swamp hallway block - is there any actual worthy use for that thing?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hitting things with sharp metal rod: bad

hitting things with metal blob on stick: good

hitting things with sharp metal rod on end of big stick: very bad

it me, the physics understander

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I dunno, figuring that the swamps were full of undead I just went with the mace. Then after I made it out of the Swamps Frostner and Porcupine continued the mace supremacy.

Maybe it's the years of RPGs (video game and tabletop) I've played, but undead being weak to blunt wasn't exactly a new revelation.

Kind of like how it was fairly obvious that the mountain boss was going to be a frost dragon.

Yagluth was less obvious, but since hitting the plains gets you access to a fire resist potion, it was pretty each to realize that he'd probably have fire damage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ever since the skeletons in the black forest crypts I've been using a mace as my main killing weapon.

If anything I'm annoyed at how much better blunt damage is in general because I haven't had a reason to switch to any other kind of melee weapon, and that starts early on and continues.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also be aware he's designed specifically to thwart the kite-and-shoot strategy that works so well on basically everything else. Gotta smack him with a mace.

Me and my wife did kite and shoot on bonemass ezpz

Maybe not OPTIMAL but it was completely doable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Ravenfood posted:

Ever since the skeletons in the black forest crypts I've been using a mace as my main killing weapon.

If anything I'm annoyed at how much better blunt damage is in general because I haven't had a reason to switch to any other kind of melee weapon, and that starts early on and continues.

I love my Frostner, but the excessive knockback makes it difficult to use combo attacks against goblins, and that third swing is the haymaker. You chew them up more quickly with swords. That said, for groups, knockback comes back into fashion because it's more about crowd control than speed. I kinda like it - each weapon is a tool that you choose for the situation you're in.