Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Laserface posted:

Like I said, just because they are employed as a sound tech doesn't make them a good one

Redditors thinking their job makes them an authority on something is some bullshit

I just hadn't got around to trying them yet and was pretty shocked at how bad they were. Far preferable to just go with default imo, it's great sound out of the box if you're not someone who feels super confident in their mastery of the eq switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-shoes-reportedly-in-the-works-at-adidas/1100-6491209/

Finally

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Doom Eternal (I have this on PC, wanted to see the console version): Forces me to sign in to my bethesda account, which I don't think I have.

Just make one

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Minor bit of Game Pass news: Descenders isn't going away anytime soon, which is good because it's a very good game that you should play.

https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/1390634072209297409

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I spent a day going through things on gamepass, which has given me the terrible habit of deleting things super quickly

The 'too many choices' phase lasted about a month for me, after that I finally managed to play a game for longer than a couple of hours before I started looking for the next one.

Dragon Quest Builders 2: Ok maybe I was tired at this point but the tutorial part on the ship took a bit too long. I only played the demo for 1 but I remember it letting you jump in and experiment right away but also guided you?

The ship part is kinda tedious but it's over in about 20 minutes. After that the gameplay gets fun if you're into these kinds of games. I like it a lot, there's always lots of stuff to do and every mission you complete unlocks a bunch of new recipes. If you're tired of doing missions you can just explore a bit, do some fighting or take some pics.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The ship not allowing you to save and the game not working with Quick Resume, at all, is baffling. I had to do nearly the entire thing again. After that save anywhere all the time and it turns into a way better game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Awesome! Yes those are really my complaints on DRagon quest builders 2. It looks like a fun mess around and build/ do missions game which I really would like I just want to get to that point first

It turns out I have one from the PC version which I honestly don’t remember doing. But games should not ask you on console to sign into another account unless they’re like... an mmo. This is a single player shooter

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I really wanted to play DQ Builders 2 but I got RE VIII on a whim and drat it's really good. Not terribly long as my first playthrough clocked in at just under 11 hours but it was very well paced and I am already looking forward to playing again with unlimited ammo.

Easily the best looking game I've seen. I played with ray tracing on, but can't speak to frame dips as my tv has vrr. Perfectly smooth the entire game. Art direction was great too, there were several moments I was just looking at the backgrounds.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im playing DQ Builders instead of Resi 8 because Resi 7 ruined the franchise for me. Basically, does Resi 8 have lots of stealth around unbeatable enemies until you trigger the magic "its a bossfight now" progress flag?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Barudak posted:

Im playing DQ Builders instead of Resi 8 because Resi 7 ruined the franchise for me. Basically, does Resi 8 have lots of stealth around unbeatable enemies until you trigger the magic "its a bossfight now" progress flag?

Fortunately not. It's more action.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Barudak posted:

The ship not allowing you to save and the game not working with Quick Resume, at all, is baffling. I had to do nearly the entire thing again. After that save anywhere all the time and it turns into a way better game

DQB2 absolutely works with Quick Resume, though

Also DQB2 is fantastic but my god do you need to scroll through so much talking. Nobody ever shuts up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

The big lady part is that way but its only like 2 hours long

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

Also DQB2 is fantastic but my god do you need to scroll through so much talking. Nobody ever shuts up.

It absolutely will not save its state for me in quick resume. All my other games work fine, but every time I switch away I gotta wait for it to do its thing

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm playing RE7 for the first time and the only unkillable enemy stealth section I've encountered so far is when Marguerite is roaming around with her lantern; all the Jack encounters before the chainsaw duel boss fight ended with me leaving him "dead" on the floor. I just got to the testing area with all the explosive tripwires and I'm assuming I'm getting close to the end. I guess there's still potential for it to turn into 100% hide-or-die scripted setpieces for the rest of the game but tbh up until this point it's been sufficiently freeform that I wouldn't be super bothered if it did. Unless it turns out I've still got like another six hours to go or something.

e. Actually I guess the early game pre dinner scene stuff was kinda relentlessly setpiece-y

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 9, 2021

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Toaster Beef posted:

It does not. If I close the app, I need to sit thru all of the boot logos.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

The Diddler posted:

It does not. If I close the app, I need to sit thru all of the boot logos.

That's ... not at all my experience. Maybe it's just that I've only been jumping to Netflix and Hulu outside of DQB2 and the system classifies those differently or something? Because I've definitely been jumping right back in with no trouble at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

That's ... not at all my experience. Maybe it's just that I've only been jumping to Netflix and Hulu outside of DQB2 and the system classifies those differently or something? Because I've definitely been jumping right back in with no trouble at all.

Quick resume is if you go to another game, not a media app. Going DQ Builders->youtube->DQ Builders is fine but DQ->Literally any game and it loses itself.

Edit: Im gonna watch some gameplay vids of Resi 8 now that it apparently isn't a stealth game like Resi 7 but I saw Panzer Dragoon remake and welp here I am. Also why is there no language option for "Panzerese"?

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 9, 2021

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Resi8 is pretty much a classic RE-game (2, 3, Veronica and especially 4) in first person.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finished Panzer Dragoon cause its like 30 minutes long and Resi 8 appears to be a horror shooter puzzler instead of the garbage Resi 7 was so looks like Im back in, baby

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
insane to me that there exist people that did not like re7

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Resi 7 is possibly the most viscerally I've ever been repulsed by a game for its gameplay and not like, you know, Custer's Revenge. I made it to the second house with the bug woman and just felt defeated, just gritting my teeth that there was more of this game to go and quit never to play it again.

The most positive thing I can say is the effort put in to model a knockoff of a Louisiana local brand of potato chips.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Soul Glo posted:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I recently tried to give RE7 a chance but wasn’t really feeling it. I think I just don’t enjoy being stalked by invincible enemies while I’m trying to explore. It reminded me of the segments I didn’t care for in Soma. I stopped at the point where I finally encountered some actual enemies but they took like 5 headshots to go down at which point I figured if this is representative of the “action” part of the game it’s just not going to be for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
RE7 did not feel like a Resident Evil game. RE8 feels like RE7 but forced into being a Resident Evil game. I'm enjoying RE8 but at the same time it kinda feels paint by numbers at points. Hard to say which is the better experience but I'm kinda leaning towards RE7 right now.

I also don't really get the comparisons to RE4 other than to obvious setting. It doesn't really play or feel like 4 at all.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I never played 7 but rather enjoyed 8. If I had any complaints it would be that you can't backtrack to some areas (thought I could go back to castle), and it might be too easy*. Didn't die on any bosses, and only died a few times the entire game.

If you play poorly you just waste supplies. The game seems to drop money when you have tons of ammo and crafting supplies when you don't so it catches you back up if you screw up.

Edit:. * On standard difficulty.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

American McGay posted:

RE7 did not feel like a Resident Evil game. RE8 feels like RE7 but forced into being a Resident Evil game. I'm enjoying RE8 but at the same time it kinda feels paint by numbers at points. Hard to say which is the better experience but I'm kinda leaning towards RE7 right now.

I also don't really get the comparisons to RE4 other than to obvious setting. It doesn't really play or feel like 4 at all.

Having to survive in a village for a certain amount of time at the start of the game is very RE4. The basic enemies love juking your shots. You’ve got a (upgradeable) grid-based inventory and a merchant again. Some loot items can be combined with each other before you sell them. The credits even feature drawings depicting the downfall of the village in both games.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Started playing control for the first time on my Series X and really impressed with the game so far. Game Pass is great. That's my 5 day review of owning an Xbox.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sunset Overdrive: Runs poorly on the Series S. I can't believe this came out in 2014, everything in the presentation of this game is so... PS3 era.
Probably because 2014 was basically still the PS3 era?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Got hit by a hammerwielding giant werewolf in a village of corpses as I scrambled to escape their horde of smaller werewolf men with nothing but a pistol and a shotgun and yeah Resi 8 is washing away the sins of 7 real fast.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I havent played RE since RE2.

am I missing anything pivotal to gaming? wasnt particularly a big fan of 1 or 2 but there must be something to a game with 8+ titles in the series.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Laserface posted:

am I missing anything pivotal to gaming?

Resi4 is considered one of the best action games ever made. It's in my top 5 games ever easily.
The remake of 2 is incredible and remake of 3 is basically a good expansion pack.
7 is a total change of pace. I absolutely loved it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laserface posted:

am I missing anything pivotal to gaming? wasnt particularly a big fan of 1 or 2 but there must be something to a game with 8+ titles in the series.

Resi 4 is probably one of the 10 best games of all time and Resident Evil 2 ReMake is one of the best games of the previous generation.

Outside of that it'll be up to your tastes since RE is wild franchise consisting of dozens of different Horror Trappings + [Gameplay Type] variations

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Adun posted:

Started playing control for the first time on my Series X and really impressed with the game so far. Game Pass is great. That's my 5 day review of owning an Xbox.
I wanna play Control but I find myself sufficiently bugged by the fact that game pass doesn't have the next gen version to not want to check it out at all

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

If you're looking to own it, Control ultimate is now half off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pretty good posted:

I wanna play Control but I find myself sufficiently bugged by the fact that game pass doesn't have the next gen version to not want to check it out at all

The next gen version crashed constantly non stop for me while the regular version didn't and the raytracing in control is not worth the frame drop.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hm maybe I'll just go with the GP version then, and play the DLC a few years down the line in the run-up to Alan Wake 2 or whatever it is that's next.

Related: fired up the RE8 demo on my Series S last night before it went away so I could check out the raytracing and lmao it absolutely chugged and there was barely any discernible difference vs leaving it turned off. I don't think I'll be super bothered about that particular tech leap until/unless I eventually pick up a PS5.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Pretty good posted:

Hm maybe I'll just go with the GP version then, and play the DLC a few years down the line in the run-up to Alan Wake 2 or whatever it is that's next.

Do it, the basic version is really good. 30 fps is 30 fps but other than that it still looks great thanks to being properly X-enhanced and having incredible visual design in general.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I thought having an S means I won't get the X enhancements though?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Pretty good posted:

I thought having an S means I won't get the X enhancements though?

Oops, yes, that is correct. Well, at least it should run smoother and with a lot faster load times than One-tier consoles. But it's gonna be a blurrier experience, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

John F Bennett posted:

If you're looking to own it, Control ultimate is now half off.

It’s a great buy at that price. It looks and feels great to play on the Series X, but I kind-of actually hate the game.

When I’m flinging pieces of the scenery around, that feels fun. Literally everything else makes me furious, but it’s my own fault.

I get lost constantly. Like, literally constantly. It’s taken me about 8 hours to get to a “2 hour” point in the game, and it’s not because I’ve been enjoying exploring every nook and cranny. I’ve been hating exploring every nook and cranny, and this excellent game can go gently caress itself.

Or they could patch in some kind of pathfinding assistant to help my broken brain out. Or maybe implement a not-hosed map, I dunno.