Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I assume Kavanaugh voted against hearing the case because "The rapist might really like beer, and I totally sympathize with that".

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

azflyboy posted:

I assume Kavanaugh voted against hearing the case because "The rapist might really like beer, and I totally sympathize with that".

Tara Reade has a better case than Christine Blasey Ford.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Evil Fluffy posted:

And Roe, which he has been very loud in wanting to overturn.

Right but I wanted to go for the deep cut

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Vahakyla posted:

This is not something that is happening, at least not in the US.

I'm sure this is :thejoke: but PMCs have seen a huge rise in the US military and they continued to get pushed.

https://bpr.berkeley.edu/2017/10/25/soldiers-of-fortune-the-rise-of-private-military-companies-and-their-consequences-on-americas-wars/ posted:

America, the country with the strongest national military, is oddly the largest customer of PMCs. According to the Congressional Research Service, roughly 10% of America’s armed forces were privately contracted during WWII, but during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the proportion has grown to a staggering 50%.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Raldikuk posted:

I'm sure this is :thejoke: but PMCs have seen a huge rise in the US military and they continued to get pushed.

That still doesn’t mean there is anything like a replacement of the US military happening with PMC’s. We also do a bunch of different stuff when compared to WW2.

The US military is an absolute juggernaut, and it isn’t being replaced by anyone. PMCs as an addition? Sure.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

PeterCat posted:

Tara Reade has a better case than Christine Blasey Ford.

*Everyone stands and applauds this post*

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
don't... be weird, people?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
PeterCat is under a moderator challenge for posting the same exact thing in GiP.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/lawcrimenews/status/1390456594870063110

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1390455114830389249

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Idiot Chuds whining about Men's Rights any time women don't want to be around them are apparently going to backdoor us into a de facto ERA.

This HAS to be some kind of scheme to make it so religious psychos can sue gay people for offending them by existing right? Its the 11th Circuit, this can't possibly be for anything but raw judicially legislated fascism purposes.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That was a concurrence so I wouldn't get too worried.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sanguinia posted:

This HAS to be some kind of scheme to make it so religious psychos can sue gay people for offending them by existing right? Its the 11th Circuit, this can't possibly be for anything but raw judicially legislated fascism purposes.

Not teaching everyone's kids about the glory of White Prosperity Gospel Jesus causes me real harm by not brainwashing a new generation of people to scam via their religious tithe donations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Not SCOTUS, but stil a SC:

https://twitter.com/gabrielmalor/status/1390409493356425226

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Can we just make this the general Supreme Court thread? There's always interesting stuff going on at the lower levels but I feel like I'm breaking the rules whenever I post about it. Particularly as this thread is four months overdue for a title change.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The thread is nearly dead whenever it isn't time for a bunch of new outrageous 6-3 rulings, so I don't see why not.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Make the next iteration the Judiciary 2021 thread.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Can we just make this the general Supreme Court thread? There's always interesting stuff going on at the lower levels but I feel like I'm breaking the rules whenever I post about it. Particularly as this thread is four months overdue for a title change.

Yeah that's fine. I'd prefer if we had an addition to the OP about lower federal courts before we make it official but I encourage you to post about anything worth talking about.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Some Guy TT posted:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Utah SC almost certainly more progressive right now than the current makeup of the FL SC

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

A fun thing to tell transphobes is that if they've ever attended any event at a stadium or arena, they have almost certainly shared a bathroom with a trans-person and never known about it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Am I dumb or is that ruling an incredibly straightforward, simple reading back of the text of the law? (Or is the point that even that is surprising?)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

raminasi posted:

Am I dumb or is that ruling an incredibly straightforward, simple reading back of the text of the law? (Or is the point that even that is surprising?)

It is and I could also see a 5-4 or 6-3 ruling from the SCOTUS that says "nope can't change it gently caress you and gently caress that law."

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Evil Fluffy posted:

It is and I could also see a 5-4 or 6-3 ruling from the SCOTUS that says "nope can't change it gently caress you and gently caress that law."

On what basis?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Evil Fluffy posted:

" gently caress you and gently caress that law."

This basis

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Evil Fluffy posted:

Extremely unlikely, this is exactly the sort of straightfoward "the rules say X" that Gorsuch loves and Roberts isn't generally willing to be blatant about making nonsense rulings overturning the clear text of a law.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What happens if we get another Kim Davis situation and a registrar with a religious objection to filing the name change comes before SCOTUS?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

On the basis of "because gently caress you, that's why."

That's the way it goes with fundies. The one dissenter in the SCOUT opinion, Thomas Rex Lee (brother of US Senator from Utah Mike Lee), is noted to have an originalist and textualist approach to law, and was considered a possible successor to Scalia (or Thomas) because of how similar their way of going about things are.

Hell, his dissent even says "gender identity is not sex, and birth certificates say 'sex' on them, so you can't change them just because your gender identity isn't what your parents thought it was":

https://twitter.com/gabrielmalor/status/1390412595509739529

It's that sort of "the card says moops" things that personally drives me insane. Strict adherence to the rules as written, which means interpreting them in the way that most favours your side.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Piell posted:

and Roberts isn't generally willing to be blatant about making nonsense rulings overturning the clear text of a law.

You mean like in Shelby county?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The best part is that Fundamentalists are a-okay with rewriting the Jewish parts out of t bible for Jesus times but not ever changing the Constitution.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

jeeves posted:

The best part is that Fundamentalists are a-okay with rewriting the Jewish parts out of t bible for Jesus times but not ever changing the Constitution.

That is the best part

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Grip it and rip it posted:

That is the best part

Much like my opinion of the Constitution, a document written almost two and a half centuries ago, I feel that my quote "the best part" is open to interpretation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/mjschwartzman/status/1392187900213796869?s=20

Scalia was the biggest baby to ever sit on the court.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

So, one of them was justly rejected then? :thunk:

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, one of them was justly rejected then? :thunk:

Justice Scalia posted:

If you're saying I play favorites, you're wrong. I love all my children equally.

Justice Scalia, earlier that morning posted:

I don't care for Gob.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/mrddmia/status/1392600835482398720

edit: added context

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 13, 2021

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Could you provide contextual comments instead of just plopping a tweet down?

I'll take a million public defenders like her to be federal judges before I'll take one more Kavanaugh

The tweet's sexism is also pretty poo poo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mike Davis, Mike Davis, that name sounds familiar somehow.

Oh, yeah!
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1042782718248071169
https://twitter.com/mrddmia/status/1042778511906430977

So is he just some rando on Twitter? Of course not!

https://dailyiowan.com/2019/10/25/h...mp-impeachment/

quote:

University of Iowa graduate Mike Davis is a Republican strategist best known for his brash rhetoric and being a central figure in pushing through President Donald Trump’s court nominees, including the high-profile confirmation of then-judge Brett Kavanaugh.

The 2000 UI graduate led a team of lawyers from 2017 to the spring of 2019 to advise the Senate Judiciary Committee on Trump’s court picks, helping to push through 43 of Trump’s nominations to the U.S. Court of Appeals so far — more than any other president at this point in their tenure. He worked closely with Iowa’s senior senator, Republican Chuck Grassley, who at the time headed the committee.

During his time there, he developed a reputation as being tough on the issue of judicial appointments, said George Hartmann, Grassley’s then-press secretary for the judiciary committee.

Davis was key in withholding documents relating to Kavanaugh’s work in the White House, Hartmann said, with Davis often butting heads with the minority leader’s office.

“Mike was the tip of the spear at holding the line on which documents were not relevant,” Hartmann said, describing Davis as “tireless and also somewhat stubborn and confrontational.”

The office of California Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, declined to comment for this story.

The Kavanaugh hearings, roiled in controversy after Professor Christine Blasey Ford came forward with sexual-assault allegations against Kavanaugh while the two were in high school, ended with Kavanaugh being confirmed to the Supreme Court in a 50-48 vote.

In September 2018, quickly deleted tweets from during the Kavanaugh hearings received sharp criticism. Davis wrote on Twitter, “Unfazed and determined. We will confirm Brett Kavanaugh.”

That was seen as implying that he was dismissive of Blasey Ford’s claims. In an interview, Davis said the office fully investigated the claims.

Four Democratic senators who voted against Kavanaugh lost their seats in the November midterm elections. For Davis, his often 20-hour days at the office during the month of time going to the Kavanaugh hearings crafting strategy can translate to the impeachment inquiry now.

“What we experienced with the Kavanaugh fight is if the Republicans in the House, and then Republicans in the Senate, grow a backbone — then we can win this fight,” he said, referring to Republicans defending the president over impeachment.

In the fall of 1998, then-UI student Mike Davis answered a call that would shape his future philosophy on politics, and especially his view on impeachment now.

The Office of Independent Counsel called the House Speaker’s office, where Davis was an intern at the time, to announce that the impeachment report against then-President Bill Clinton would be dropped off for House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

Davis watched as Republicans blasted the airwaves with ads about the Clinton scandal in the months leading up to the November elections. Republicans were expected to increase their majority in the House after Nov. 3, but instead, Democrats flipped four seats, eroding Republicans’ 55-45 seat control.

House Republicans largely blamed Gingrich for the strategy, and he announced he would step down from the speakership a few days later. Davis’ last day of his internship, Dec. 19, 1998 (and the last day of the session), the House voted to impeach President Clinton.

Davis’ strategy for Republicans getting through the impeachment inquiry harkens back to his experience in 1998.

“They (Democrats) need to think about the tremendous blowback they’re going to get from American voters — the wrath,” Davis said about the impeachment inquiry in an interview at Heirloom Café Oct. 17 after giving a speech at the UI College of Law. He added that as long as Republicans doggedly continued to push back on Democrats’ narratives, correct misinformation, and keep up public appearances, they could weather the impeachment inquiry, and gain seats in 2020.

This past spring, Davis founded the Article III Project, a political communications group with a goal to be more politically aggressive in defending Trump’s judicial picks. The title of the organization refers to Article III of the U.S. Constitution, which established the judicial branch.

That organization, Davis said, is a way to go on the offensive to defend President Trump’s court nominees who are already confirmed (he called them “sitting ducks”), to encourage confirmation of new nominations, and prevent efforts to alter the court such as adding justices.

“I told this to the New York Times that what we’re doing with the Article III Project is taking off the gloves, putting on the brass knuckles and punching back,” he said. “And what we showed with the Kavanaugh fight and the election after the Kavanaugh fight is that the left has a big glass jaw. And if you punch back, you can break it.”

As he advises Republicans to ramp up their rhetoric against Democrats, he said he doesn’t care whether he’s contributing to a politicized climate in the country.

“Remember, our founding fathers shot each other in a duel,” he said. “We’ve had contentious political fights. We’ve been a raucous republic for over 200 years. So now, I’m not going to be polite or kind when people were being unfairly attacked.”

He graduated from the UI with a degree in political science and a minor in journalism in 2000. During his time as an undergraduate, he grew close with political-science Professor Tim Hagle, who advised Davis’ Students for George W. Bush chapter, and took Davis up on a job recommendation working with the Bush administration’s Justice Department.

Hagle said Davis’ hallmark was being able to hop from job to job while being effective in a short amount of time. He recalled when Davis took a constitutional-law class as a second-year undergraduate at the UI, an upper-level class which Hagle advised against taking as a freshman or sophomore.

“I announced usually in that class that if you’re a freshman or sophomore that it’s going to be over your head,” he said. “And he basically took that as a challenge.”

Davis returned to Iowa City in 2008 for a law degree, befriending law Professor Sheldon Kurtz, who said he and Davis frequently debated over the appropriate role of the judiciary. But, he said, they were always respectful and he was proud of his former students’ accomplishments.

“We like to banter with each other about politics,” he said. “I’m sure you know, he’s a devout conservative, and I am a very devout liberal.”

Davis didn’t come from a conservative background. He was raised by two liberal Des Moines public school employees. His teachers awarded him the Alex P. Keaton award in sixth grade, referencing the fictional character in the show Family Ties who parted ideology from his parents, who were hippies in the 1960s.

His mom, he said has switched to favor Republican views, but his dad flip-flops on issues.

Before returning to Washington in 2017, he spent 10 years as a civil litigator in Colorado. He said he liked to stay in Washington for short, impactful periods of time, and would like to move to Colorado or Iowa when he feels his work is done.

“The problem is that when you stay in D.C. too long you end up in prison,” he said with a low chuckle.

Grassley's chief nomination counsel, the guy who helped screen judicial nominees for the GOP and worked to push Gorsuch and Kavanaugh through the Judiciary Committee, is not necessarily a great source on whether a judge is suitable. Don't just drop a tweet from a fucker like this here, or anywhere in D&D, with absolutely no commentary whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I can understand someone not being able to spout of a specific standard of review, but they should know what rational basis review means.

I'm stuck wondering whether this is better or worse than one of Trump's nominees not knowing what a motion in limine is.