Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I do not remember that being a thing on console either. Sounds like bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Probably referencing the lack of holstering your gun in ME3 - that is indeed due to console memory issues.

I'm pre-ordering so y'all don't have to okay

I just really want to play ME in ultrawide and I'm willing to be a guinea pig to do it

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

chaosapiant posted:

This post deserves a lot of love. The Only Golden Biotic God.

The ending would have to be the Control one as well.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

DancingShade posted:

Knowing it's simply a texture and 64-bit update (maybe?) makes me so glad I haven't pre-ordered.

If I wanted to replay these games I already own them all. Who cares if the decade old textures are bad? Mods exist.

because PCs are a niche audience and consoles are where the money is grandpa lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

because PCs are a niche audience and consoles are where the money is grandpa lol

I've even heard tell of people who own laptops that aren't very good or comfortable to play games on!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

DourCricket posted:

Probably referencing the lack of holstering your gun in ME3 - that is indeed due to console memory issues.

I'm pre-ordering so y'all don't have to okay

I just really want to play ME in ultrawide and I'm willing to be a guinea pig to do it

:hf:

I'm just happy to have an ultrawide option that doesn't involve misaligning half the UI in order to get it to work.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I continue to hold out hope for the return of multiplayer as stupidly overpriced dlc.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Insanite posted:

I continue to hold out hope for the return of multiplayer as stupidly overpriced dlc.

They'd be so dumb to not do this

They could even make a ton of new skins and, uh, some people might buy them... :shobon:

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Insanite posted:

i'm 100% sure they've already had many discussions about this internally, esp. in regards to how much "effort" this would actually take.

no sense in stopping when folks would pay yet again, but it's just a matter of how much. another $50? $70? or how about $99.99? and then, just think about the loot box opportunities... :bioware:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Release it as a standalone download without the enhancement stuff, I don't need those I just want something to encourage people to play.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Give me the multiplayer

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

that works amazingly with your av

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
My wife likes to watch games with good story and voice acting, like TLOU 1 + 2. Is the Mass Effect series at all similarly watchable? I’m probably gonna pick up the remaster since I’ve never played the series and always wanted to, but it would be a nice bonus if we can experience them together.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

trigger9631 posted:

My wife likes to watch games with good story and voice acting, like TLOU 1 + 2. Is the Mass Effect series at all similarly watchable? I’m probably gonna pick up the remaster since I’ve never played the series and always wanted to, but it would be a nice bonus if we can experience them together.

I wouldn't say it's really like The Last Of Us in tone and affect, but the story is good and there are a lot of excellent cutscenes and conversations. I guess see how she likes it? Mass Effect starts drier and less cinematic than the series later becomes, there's a lot of roving around talking to aliens about their culture, but it's mostly well-delivered.

ME2 has a huge jump in cinematographic affect, and timeline-wise its use of cinematography and editing in cutscenes was a major inspiration for games like TLOU.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

trigger9631 posted:

If she likes Sci-fi, yeah.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

trigger9631 posted:

It's going to be a bit drier than TLOU, not because Mass Effect doesn't have cinematic moments, because it has a ton, but it also has a lot of "tell me about your culture" exposition dumps. That said it's all generally well performed and well written so it is still engaging to listen to even if the presentation is just two people standing around and talking to each other. The individual games are also much, much longer than TLOU 1+2 combined so that might be a factor to consider depending on her patience for sitting watching you playing a video game.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 9, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

trigger9631 posted:

The end sequence of the first game may be the best finale in any game ever. The intro is well done, too, but much shorter.

But that last...1-2 hours...is truly epic.

The first one sticks the landing very well. The 2nd has a stupid ending an the 3rd has the worst ending ever. The 3rd is just a terribly written game other than one high point. It's a fun romp but doesn't make a lick of sense in context of the series. The second game has a lot of fun stuff throughout.

The first has a lot of really good bits but is a different sort of game.

I did a play through for my gf a few years back and she really enjoyed it. I think it is a very watchable game, other than the shooty bits which will be boring as gently caress to watch.

So if you want her to watch, set it to easy and power through things really quickly so you can get to the good talky bits.

All in all it's a good time hanging out with your space bros and having space sex with all sorts of sexy aliens.

The biggest piece of advice I can offer is in the 3rd game, when Joker asks you to go to dinner, don't go. Hold off on that until you finish the game. Then go back and load a save and go to dinner. That's the true ending of the series.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The second ending is great too. The final boss is kind of a letdown, but everything up to and after that rules.

Be sure to ask your girlfriend who to send in the vents and lead the second team

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

trigger9631 posted:

back when the first game came out, I got it for christmas and was playing during the family get-together, cause, you know, big nerd, and my aunt was watching and at one point I died and she was like, "wait, this is a video game? I thought it was a movie"

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The individual games are also much, much longer than TLOU 1+2 combined

:confused: Not at all, TLOU1 is about 15 hours and TLOU2 is 24 hours. Those are about exactly how long ME1 and 2 would take unless you're doing a LOT of puttering around

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

There is no way in hell ME1 is 15 hours long unless you ignore all the side quests.

Which is a dumb terrible way to play because it means less Mako time.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Simone Magus posted:

:confused: Not at all, TLOU1 is about 15 hours and TLOU2 is 24 hours. Those are about exactly how long ME1 and 2 would take unless you're doing a LOT of puttering around

ME1 and ME2 alone take me about 65 hours. I don’t putter around, but i listen to every line of dialogue and always do every single quest, including DLC. ME1 I’ve beaten 17 or 18 times and never took less than 25 hours. About a dozen times for ME2 and never less than 40 hours:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Each Mass Effect game takes about 30-40 hours to complete, depending on DLC. Then another 500 for ME3 multiplayer.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

500 hours to get every unlock maxed out in multiplayer is an extremely conservative estimate.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Psycho Landlord posted:

There is no way in hell ME1 is 15 hours long unless you ignore all the side quests.

Which is a dumb terrible way to play because it means less Mako time.

I think my point was more that TLOU1 and especially 2 are very long, not that ME was short.

I was using the times on howlongtobeat, which skew low for all games. TLOU1 and 2 took me around 20 and 32 hours respectively

E: ME1 and 2, for reference, are 15/27 and 24/36 (main story/all styles)

Simone Magus fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 9, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

trigger9631 posted:

ME has good voice acting and a good story, but it's not going to flow like a movie interspersed with combat like TLOU is. With all the sidequests and NPCs you can talk to it's more like little vignettes all over the place.

It's still entertaining to watch, I've watched friends of mine stream the games on Twitch and stuff for their first times. It's just a different vibe.

But a bonus is that as an RPG like this, you have lots of choices you can make together if she gets into it.

(If you haven't played them, the Uncharted series is just like TLOU since it's the same developer. They're very good games and play out similarly although with an Indiana Jones comedic action style instead of TLOU's depressing everything. I'm not saying to play those instead since you should definitely play ME, just another one to put on the list.)

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
Thanks for the responses, everyone! This was all really helpful. She loves sci-fi so it seems like the series could be a great one for us to dig into.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
ME1 is definitely the shortest by a big amount, think I can finish it almost fully in less than 24 hours (I don't like the collector quests which would add a bunch of busy work).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bit of a long shot here but does anyone know if, when i pick the "25% sniper rifle clip size increase" skill in andromeda, a 3-shot clip would be increased to 4? Does it round that up?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Amppelix posted:

Bit of a long shot here but does anyone know if, when i pick the "25% sniper rifle clip size increase" skill in andromeda, a 3-shot clip would be increased to 4? Does it round that up?

Some cursory googling tells me that you need to get to 100% clip size increase total to give a 1 shot sniper rifle 2 shots. so it doesn't look like it rounds up.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Thanks for googling on my behalf!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

UnknownMercenary posted:

500 hours to get every unlock maxed out in multiplayer is an extremely conservative estimate.
I have around 900 hours played and I don't have a maxed manifest.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I was gonna say I had 350 on xbox and was nowhere near it

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I have something around the 900 hour mark in multiplayer and have 3 of the 21 ultra rare guns maxed

Amppelix posted:

Is the rifle you're using the Viper? Because that's the only 3-shot rifle I can easily think of.

Because on my character that's 4 shots with the 25% sniper rifle clip size skill, and 5 shots when I switch to Soldier profile with it's additional +20%

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I had hundreds of hours in ME3 multiplayer and never unlocked the starting asari Adept. Meanwhile I had all three voluses and the bugman. RNG!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Justicar is better than Adept

Change my mind

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Seemlar posted:

Is the rifle you're using the Viper? Because that's the only 3-shot rifle I can easily think of.

Because on my character that's 4 shots with the 25% sniper rifle clip size skill, and 5 shots when I switch to Soldier profile with it's additional +20%
i was thinking about the black widow but that was for the future, i'm not using any of those right now. i have a vintage heatsink'd widow (which feels deliciously cheesy, by the way, even though i don't think it's actually OP at all)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Justicar is better than Adept

Change my mind

Phoenix adept best adept. Lash is goddamn hilarious when you learn to arc it right, it's a one-way trip into orbit for mooks.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Polaron posted:

I had hundreds of hours in ME3 multiplayer and never unlocked the starting asari Adept. Meanwhile I had all three voluses and the bugman. RNG!

That's almost impressive because the characters were super easy to at least get 1 of because of how packs worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Phoenix adept best adept. Lash is goddamn hilarious when you learn to arc it right, it's a one-way trip into orbit for mooks.

I'm specifically talking about the Asari Justicar being better than the Asari Adept though.