Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BLOOD AND GUTS
This poll is closed.
HORRIBLE 1 0.63%
MEH 16 10.06%
GOOD 74 46.54%
GREAT 68 42.77%
Total: 159 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nick Jr. Face posted:

A third son has hit the showers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

hooman posted:

D3 has really bulked up and dumped the cheap rear end looking hat

Huge mistake, you don't dump the only thing you have that's over

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nick Jr. Face posted:

A third son has hit the showers

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

holy poo poo this would rule

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

And to think we had people doubting that FTR are good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Pylons posted:

More matches being announced:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1391169794133659649

Also for Dark:

The Factory (QT Marshall, Nick Comoroto, & Aaron Solow) vs Jake Logan, Ryzin, & Rick Recon
Ryan Nemeth & Cezar Bononi vs Liam Gray & Adrian Alanis
Marty Casaus vs Jungle Boy
Bear Bronson vs Brian Cage
Big Swole & Red Velvet vs MK Twins
Jaylen Brandyn & Traevon Jordan vs Varsity Blonds
Diamante vs. Willow Nightingale
Dark Order (Evil Uno, Alan Angels, & Colt Cabana) vs Spencer Slade, Cole Karter, & Andrew Palace

and more (I think these are all new)
Elevation:
Leyla Hirsch v. Dani Jordyn
Dean Alexander & Dillon McQueen v. Matt Hardy & Marq Queen
Jade Cargill v. Reka Tehaka
Manny Smith v. Matt Sydal
David Ali v. Lee Johnson

Dark:
Hobbs v. Mike Sydal
Ashley D'Amboise v. Nyla Rose
Milk Chocolate v. Kingston & Mox
Angel Fashion v. Lance Archer

Hirsch v. Jordyn should be good, as should Cargill v. Tehaka. I've a sneaking suspicion that Johnson v. Ali could rule. Hobbs v. Mike Sydal is interesting - Hobbs has just been squashing people, and I don't think Mike is (immediately) squashable. Maybe he'll get a few flips in first.
e: Lance should change his twitter @

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 9, 2021

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

AEW runs too many shows. I am speaking for me, personally

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MJF's contract goes until 2024, per MJF https://wrestlingsc.com/2021/05/04/...sive-interview/

quote:

You are under contract with AEW for a long time, until 2024. If we were having this conversation in three or four years, where do you think you would be, Championship wise, faction wise? Where do you see yourself by the time your contract will expire?

“I’d say I’d be near the end of my contract. I would be the AEW World Champion, I would still be a part of the greatest faction in professional wrestling known as The Pinnacle, all of my brothers in arms would also have gold and then, at that point, the highest bidder, baby. Me and my boys were willing to go wherever the money’s at, it’s that simple. Don’t get me wrong, AEW runs deep in me, I don’t want to leave, but I am a businessman at the end of the day, and I can’t help myself if somebody’s got an offer for me, I’m going to listen to it.”

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
God MJF is such a good heel.

I also like the Acclaimed and didn't mind the Jericho spot at BnG. There that about catches me up!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think Blood & Guts was a good Wednesday Night™ and served to make an statement about being a more mature oriented product alternative to WWE.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

We need to see a Lance Archer v Faboo Andre massacre

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

fawning deference posted:

We need to see a Lance Archer v Faboo Andre massacre

Butterfly in the sky
Everybody dies

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I know he's just heeling but imagining the cringey dialogue MJF would get stuck with trying to deliver in WWE is something else lol

He'd be throwing tomatoes at people within a month

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He wouldn’t even be on tv

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
They'd have him reenact getting shoved by Samoa Joe with every wrestler on the roster.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
someone would show vince the rosie o'donnell clip and he'd be singing every episode

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
They'd have him do backstage interviews as "Fantastic Max"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
We're midway through the week (with the AEW calendar beginning on Dynamite Wednesdays and ending on Elevation Tuesdays, of course), and AmDragWatch 2021 still has nothing conclusive in either direction. You all know what that means!

It's time for a Jake Watch-a-Long. I'll be watching the episode and typing up my thoughts as I watch it. Though, first, for a little bit of background, I've never really been a Disney guy. Its only recently with stuff like Gravity Falls, the new Mickey Mouse shorts, and the Ducktales reboot that I've really seen what they've had to offer. But despite seeing plenty of stuff from Nick, Cartoon Network, Kids WB, even the goddamn Fox Box while growing up, I've never really seen the 90s to 2000s stuff that Disney had on tap. I think maybe some of the Lilo and Stitch show? But, like, that's it. That means I'm coming into this with literally 0 frame of reference here, all for the sake of a goofy Toxx built out of a dumb pun.

With that out of the way, let's get this party started with Episode 1: Old School Training.

Not gonna lie, centaur herds and secret leprechaun stock exchanges are not the kinds of mythical creatures I expected from a series like this. It's almost kind of feeling Men in Black with how there's this other world completely under the surface that the protagonist has to be a mediator for, except with fantasy creatures instead of aliens.

I also didn't expect John DiMaggio in another talking dog role! But, hey, he's always a delight to have on a show, so I'm glad to see it.

Oh, no, they're trying to make Jake sound hip with the kids. Also, wait, he's the same voice actor as Zuko? This show's already shaping up to have a who's-who of iconic animated voice actors, which I guess shouldn't be as surprising as it is.

Intro theme seems to be letting me know what I'm in for. I've gotta learn to protect the city and fight evil, but I also gotta be the cool guy at school! Pretty typical sort of plot, though it makes me wonder which direction the show will skew towards focusing on more. Especially since it seems like Jake already has the basics down, if only on natural talent alone, while happening to be an ambitious dumbass trying to act cooler than he actually is. At the very least we're getting to jump right into the premise instead of having 10 episodes of set-up.

Maybe it's the WoW player inside of me that never quite went away, but I kinda dig the design for this episode's villain, the Huntsmaster. Skulls and pelts pretty much always lift a character design up in my books. I also like that, instead of being some magical world-ending evil, he's just some poacher. It feels pretty grounded in the setting this show's putting forward. If there's going to be a magical secret society, there'll totally also be magical crime on magical black markets. Sure, yeah, makes sense.

Jake's dialogue is going to be a hell of a thing to sit through, considering the first five minutes and it's already starting to grate. It fits the whole trying to act cooler than he actually is, as does the balance between performance anxiety in an actual combat situation and faux-bravado. So, too, does the fact that the show so far has not shied away from making him eat his words. But man, the surprisingly efficient characterization sure picked a hell of a package to be wrapped in.

Speaking of surprisingly efficient, wow, the villains are really going for the kill here, aren't they? I know the word slay doesn't have the same baggage, so the network probably wasn't as worked up over it, but the villain's apprentice merrily accepting a command flat-out kill our kid protagonist here is a bit of a shocker.

Mountain trolls as greasers is an inspired choice. If a little offhanded gag like that got a chuckle out of me, I get the feeling I'm going to dig the mythical society aspects of the show. Provided the showrunners get creative with it, it could end up surprisingly clever. It also seems like it'll be a bigger part of the show than I feared, considering their school's got a mythical creature class. Sure, it's a mythology class with a teacher that believes all this stuff is real (is it too early to call my shot and say he's the Huntsmaster? That seems like the kind of twist a show like this would eagerly dive into), but something tells me it'll be coming up time and time again.

Didn't expect the show I picked for the Bryan Danielson toxx to make a concussion joke. I wonder how often that kind of joke comes up nowadays, especially with high-profile cases like the NFL were. But we've fallen lock and step into the classic cast composition of shows for the era: the put-up on mentor, the talking animal sidekick, the crazy teacher, Those Two Friends, the Designated Kid's Show Crush. Though I'm fairly certain the Designated Kid's Show Crush usually isn't in cahoots with the main villain. As much as my original comparison for the show was Men in Black, I'm almost kind of getting Danny Phantom vibes from it? They both seem to be taking the formulaic kids show angle and trying to add some serialization and . . . for lack of a better term, comic book twists to it? Two characters crushing on each other while their secret identities have a blood feud sure seems like textbook comic stuff. I can certainly see how shows like those two, Teen Titans, and Avatar built up appetite for the more story-driven shows we've had in the 2010s.

We're literally going wax on, wax off here, which I probably should've expected the second we had a wise old Asian mentor. Though, uh, using a prehensile tongue to scrub a toilet clean certainly isn't the direction I expected this to start with at all. I'm really glad grossout elements were something TV's largely left behind going into the 2000s.

The fact that, instead of the usual secret identity stuff, the entire family are dragons except for Jake's dad is kind of intriguing. Usually these shows are all or nothing on the main character having to hide who they are, but in this case he's got a mom and a sister he can turn to. Typically something like his sister being a dragon would be a surprise reveal for another episode, and having an authority figure to turn to besides his magical mentor is almost unheard of in these kinds of shows.

I gushed about the Hunstmaster's designs earlier, but I also like how diverse the dragons have been. Jake, the New Yorker from a mixed family, taking on a lot of western dragon design elements (right down to having a big old buff He-Man build), but his grandfather flat-out looking like an eastern dragon right down to the hair and facial details is an interesting contrast. Both having a reasonable adult to confide in and the idea of a culture clash between generations are some surprisingly clever themes for the show to go into, and I'll be pleasantly surprised if these end up core elements instead of just window dressing.

It also goes to figure that the one time Jake slacks off, his grandfather gets kidnapped. Hard to blame the guy for skipping out on his chores when they include scraping out the rain gutters with his teeth, though. Seriously, I do not miss gross out humor.

And we've got our transformation sequence! Complete with poorly aged CGI panning shots and marketable catchphrases. I wonder how often these were put in shows to be space/budget filler, and how often they were done because people grew up with anime and went "this poo poo's cool, we want to do it."

It's a lot harder to comment on action scenes than character and story beats IMO. Unless they seriously stand out as something particularly cool or something particularly lame, they feel like the kind of thing where you just go "yep, that was an action scene." But this one guides us into a pretty standard ending for this kind of episode. You did the wax-on wax-off, it helped you win a fight you lost before, you apologize to your elder for doubting them, your elder admits they were also kinda messing with you a bit, everybody laughs. It's not a ground-breaking plotline by any means, but it's also kind of inevitable for this kind of show.

With that, we're at the end! What do I think so far? Currently, I feel like the show is . . . competent. It's certainly not breaking any new ground with its plot, it's jokes, or it's characters, but I think that's part on it being the introduction episode and part on it being a mid-2000s kids show. However, it's not like any of those were bad, either, even if the dialogue could be a little bit 2000s cringey at times. I think when the show gets more time to marinate it'll come into its own, however. They spent a lot of time flying past building blocks they were putting down, and they sure as hell weren't shy about showing their hand with future plot beats. Stuff like Jake's sister having the same powers as him and his designated kid's show love interest being his arch-enemy would've been mid series twists in other shows, yet here they're right on display. Between those early plot points being seeded, the potential to explore surprisingly relevant themes such as culture clash, and me being a sucker for magical worlds being deeply intertwined with real ones, I'm curious to see how the show ends up cashing all the checks it's writing. It could end up glossed over in favor of more standard kid's show fare, or the show could end up surprising me.

But right now, that's all up in the air. Just like Bryan Danielson's next career move.

I can definitely change the format as we go along, by the way. Like more concise thoughts instead of stream-of-consciousness as I watch, or putting it in its own thread instead of the AEW thread. I'm pretty new to huge toxxes like this, so I want to make sure I pick what works best for everyone and makes it easy for the toxx to be tracked, you know?

The Bee fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 9, 2021

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I read it all

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
CG transformation? I don't remember that. Hmm, looks fine enough, just a Mortal Kombat logo spinning here and oh dear god why did they make that model of the dragon. Can't find out if they kept that when the show switched to a better art style.

Man, now I kinda wanna revisit Jake Long. I did Danny Phantom some years ago and found it shockingly great and sort of ahead of its time. Remembering the bigger strokes of Jake Long, it might really be the Disney counterpart.
e: i am deep in the jake long hole now and, man, season 2 was a massive improvement. The intro has a better vocalist, much better animation, and they swapped Jake saying "I'm the mac daddy dragon of the NYC, ya heard?!" to "I'm the magical protector from the NYC, ya heard?!" much better.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 9, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Wasn't Jake Long what Hager called himself in Lucha Underground?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Wasn't Jake Long what Hager called himself in Lucha Underground?

That was Jake Strong.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

MorningMoon posted:

CG transformation? I don't remember that. Hmm, looks fine enough, just a Mortal Kombat logo spinning here and oh dear god why did they make that model of the dragon. Can't find out if they kept that when the show switched to a better art style.

Man, now I kinda wanna revisit Jake Long. I did Danny Phantom some years ago and found it shockingly great and sort of ahead of its time. Remembering the bigger strokes of Jake Long, it might really be the Disney counterpart.
e: i am deep in the jake long hole now and, man, season 2 was a massive improvement. The intro has a better vocalist, much better animation, and they swapped Jake saying "I'm the mac daddy dragon of the NYC, ya heard?!" to "I'm the magical protector from the NYC, ya heard?!" much better.

Interesting! Once I get that far I'll be curious to give the two seasons a comparison. Though at the rate I set for the toxx, it could take a good bit to get there.

Unless, of course, Danielson goes back to being Daniel Bryan. In which case, hoo boy, I'll have my work cut out for me.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I salute you, beeman

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/LanceHoyt/status/1391500325874544643

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I close my eyes I can almost hear Jake's gravely laughter after reading this tweet

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Danny Phantom was very underrated

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
speaking of heel tweets about upcoming matches, I again have to say how much I love basically everything Matt Hardy has been doing since elite deletion, he's a top 5 personality in the company right now and just so god damned fun
https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/1391493287958269956

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dillon McQueen needs to fight D3 to unify the helmet/crown

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

smarxist posted:

speaking of heel tweets about upcoming matches, I again have to say how much I love basically everything Matt Hardy has been doing since elite deletion, he's a top 5 personality in the company right now and just so god damned fun

He was in serious deep poo poo 10 years ago. I didn't think he'd ever redeem himself.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

We have an Angel Fashion and Alexander/McQueen. Truly blessed.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/RealJDDrake/status/1391425703271440392

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lmao, i can't believe how insanely over the honks are going to be like 3 months from now

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

smarxist posted:

https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/1391493287958269956

I'm just glad that Dean Alexander and Dillon McQueen made peace after the Nightmare Factory Showcase.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dillon McQueen needs to fight D3 to unify the helmet/crown

hat

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

smarxist posted:

lmao, i can't believe how insanely over the honks are going to be like 3 months from now

One of them will have a 'cowboy poo poo' moment and then its too the moon

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

https://twitter.com/PAvalon/status/1390826451222503426

:allears:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
JD Drake's "feelin cute" expression is what take the photo from great to legendary

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

magiccarpet posted:

One of them will have a 'cowboy poo poo' moment and then its too the moon

JD is already on it.

I can already hear the crowds chanting "HOT BOI poo poo, HOT BOI poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

https://twitter.com/RealJDDrake/status/1391438750346006530

The Himbofication Of One JD Drake is the best arc in wrestling.

mooseinfants posted:

Danny Phantom was very underrated

If it weren't for that third season, I'd bet it'd be somewhere near ATLA's popularity right now. Not as overwhelmingly so to the point of a studio opening just to do more ATLA content, but there'd be way more youtube essays about how good it is. Vlad is such a great villain.