Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've had the concept of NFTs explained to me half a dozen times and I still don't get why anyone would actually pay for one.

Like if they arbitrarily attach value to a famous work of digital art I can sort of see it, but the idea of paying for your own copy of a mass produced JPEG makes my head spin.

And gently caress Gorillaz for diving into it the same year that they're talking about a follow up to Plastic Beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dread X games that I've beaten, ranked so far:

1. Shatter
2. Touched by an Outer God
3. Uktena 64
4. Charlotte's Exile
5. Pony Factory
6. Axis Mundi
7. Squirrel Stapler
8. Rose of Meat
9. The House of Unrest
10. Black Relic
11. The Thing in the Lake
12. Solipsis
13. The Fruit
14. Seraphixal
15. Arcadletra

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

stev posted:

I've had the concept of NFTs explained to me half a dozen times and I still don't get why anyone would actually pay for one.

Like if they arbitrarily attach value to a famous work of digital art I can sort of see it, but the idea of paying for your own copy of a mass produced JPEG makes my head spin.

And gently caress Gorillaz for diving into it the same year that they're talking about a follow up to Plastic Beach.

It's a mix between speculators inflating another crypto bubble and suckers who slaver at the feet of their techbro idols falling for the speculators' trap like idiots

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
having money = having more money

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

Direct sequels to Star Fox 64 that play exactly like that game, is all I really want. But Nintendo must have put in the marketing research and determined that not enough people would buy and play a game like that in console generations after N64. A remaster of Star Fox 64 would be really nice to have too, I still to this day play the game on my N64.

Its not necessarily that. Games are big projects, you can only have so many irons in the fire at once. Could be they know a starcraft 64 remake would be popular but Miyamoto or somebody wanted to play around with the tablet screen so that's what we got. Then after that does poorly its hard to justify the budget for the starfox 64 clone when there's marios to be made.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

stev posted:

Its a ponzi scheme OP, and everybody involved is just trying to get rich. That's it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zaphod42 posted:

Could be they know a starcraft 64 remake would be popular

I loving doubt it!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

stev posted:

I loving doubt it!

hahahahaha oops

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't think it's a ponzi scheme so much as just good old snake oil, selling something valueless for an inflated price

Ponzi schemes are (I believe) when an investment has no source of income other than further investors, and uses the money of late joiners to pay off early joiners and make the investment look really really good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

stev posted:

I still think Star Fox Assault was unfairly dismissed. If it weren't for the ground missions it'd be a pretty good sequel.

same but i even think the ground missions are fun and form the backbone of the really good multiplayer

however I'm also starting to realize I'm very lenient and patient with games a lot of people dislike so maybe I'm just a contrarian

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Ponzi schemes are (I believe) when an investment has no source of income other than further investors, and uses the money of late joiners to pay off early joiners and make the investment look really really good

But that's exactly what it is?

More specifically, its a classic pump-and-dump scheme. Manipulating perceived value to sell speculation to rubes so you can make money off nothing.

Those who get in early make a ton of profit by selling at the peak, then it collapses and all the fools are left holding bags.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A ponzi scheme is a pretty specific fraud where an investment manager says they can provide impossible returns, and inflates everyone's accounts to an amount that they can't pay out even in theory even if they fully divested (unlike a legitimate bank which wouldn't pay out if there was a run on it, but could pay out eventually given time to divest). When anyone does withdraw their nonexistent earnings, it comes from later investors. I do agree that pump and dump is a better descriptor than snake oil though

There is a huge and dizzying array of frauds where the central theme is early joiners getting money from late comers, rather than from any useful economic activity. I try not to think to hard about how that basically describes the entire stock market

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

At least with the stock market there is a legitimate underlying concept which raises capital for businesses and pays dividends to shareholders. Of course, that's too slow for most brokers, so there's all kinds of insane should be illegal shenanigan trades on top of that.

But NFTs there's not even really a core reason why it should exist. Its pure pump-and-dump Tulip Mania, driven by memes and the false conception that somehow they're "sticking it to the man" or "helping art" when neither of those is remotely true.

All studies have shown that as with most modern art and most big schemes, a few people get super rich off NFTs and the vast majority make basically peanuts.

What really blows my mind is that NFT of Chadwick Boseman's head which was just bought off like turbosquid for a few dollars and then painted gold and claimed to be "high art".

Am I crazy or are all the "modern art" people making tons of money actually somewhat unskilled? And then you have artists who can paint unbelievably realistic or detailed scenes and they aren't rich. Its all just fashion nonsense.
IDK I guess its a matter of personal taste but I think when you compare Jackson Pollock or Andy Warhol to like Michelangelo its no contest.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of crypto, Tony Hawk is all in on NFT bullshit so gently caress him and I'm glad they're never gonna make another game again :colbert:

That sucks. Tim Heidecker was gonna do one but he got bullied out of it by his fans, it was nice that he listened

God drat it

FirstAidKite posted:

Are there any star fox 64 fangame spiritual successor things? A lot of genres get their own indie spiritual successors and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a game heavily inspired by Star Fox 64

A few, including Astrodogs and Whisker Squadron. I feel like this is a question for The 7th Guest who knows every indie game

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

also at least in the gorillaz situation multiple band members have stated they never signed off on or agreed to it so it's very likely it was some executive/production person doing it because they own the brand and not the actual bandmates themselves (which is why i wonder how many of the celebs like guy fieri/tony hawk/etc post about it without knowing anything about it bc some exec told them to)

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

stev posted:

It's not even a jpeg it's a url that points to a jpeg lmao

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The best rail shooter is Gal Gun and as a bonus as far as I know it isn't involved in NFTs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Date really likes puns

Chev posted:

The best rail shooter is Gal Gun and as a bonus as far as I know it isn't involved in NFTs.
the best rail shooters are LA Machineguns and Typing of the Dead

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the best rail shooter is any rail shooter where both players use the same screen so you can put coins in both slots and use both guns at once

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

the best rail shooter is any rail shooter where both players use the same screen so you can put coins in both slots and use both guns at once

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I wanted to find a 2-player Silent Scope cabinet but it doesn't look like there ever was one

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

House of the Dead 2 was my favorite to do this with

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not necessarily that. Games are big projects, you can only have so many irons in the fire at once. Could be they know a starcraft 64 remake would be popular but Miyamoto or somebody wanted to play around with the tablet screen so that's what we got. Then after that does poorly its hard to justify the budget for the starfox 64 clone when there's marios to be made.

It's kinda bad that I completely forgot there is a remaster on 3DS and I own it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Starfox 64 3DS version is pretty good, actually.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

It is!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mutata posted:

The Starfox 64 3DS version is pretty good, actually.

Yes! It's the best version of the game, unless fans have done the effort of remastering it for PC with emulation, which I don't think has ever happened.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Had a really really good sekiro session today :)

Just had my dinner but I beat some tough old mini bosses and have a big boss left as well as a couple of other bosses at some point. I think I am close to the end. At the palace :). This game is superb!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Had a really really good sekiro session today :)

Just had my dinner but I beat some tough old mini bosses and have a big boss left as well as a couple of other bosses at some point. I think I am close to the end. At the palace :). This game is superb!

Your stream was fun to watch! I hope you will continue streaming. More regular, consistent streams would be really fun to watch.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's a mix between speculators inflating another crypto bubble and suckers who slaver at the feet of their techbro idols falling for the speculators' trap like idiots

combined with a gratuitous helping of pointless environmental damage due to absurd electricity expenditure for no goddamn reason. As I saw another person put it "how can i combine a ponzi scheme with literally being a Defiler mage from Dark Sun" (although this applies to basically all crypto garbage). It's insane to see so many people openly embracing being a captain planet villain. It also shows that Chuck Tingle is smarter and more responsible than a vast swathe of other people on the internet.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Am I crazy or are all the "modern art" people making tons of money actually somewhat unskilled? And then you have artists who can paint unbelievably realistic or detailed scenes and they aren't rich. Its all just fashion nonsense.
IDK I guess its a matter of personal taste but I think when you compare Jackson Pollock or Andy Warhol to like Michelangelo its no contest.

Don't know how accurate Andy Ruins Everything is, but he did a bit on modern art where the main gist of it is that skill doesn't matter, it's about finding the right people to help you get in on the money laundering scheme.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Obligatum VII posted:

combined with a gratuitous helping of pointless environmental damage due to absurd electricity expenditure for no goddamn reason. As I saw another person put it "how can i combine a ponzi scheme with literally being a Defiler mage from Dark Sun" (although this applies to basically all crypto garbage). It's insane to see so many people openly embracing being a captain planet villain. It also shows that Chuck Tingle is smarter and more responsible than a vast swathe of other people on the internet.

Seeing the crypto warehouses is one of the things that makes you realize you're living in the cyberpunk present that's much dumber than what science fiction had imagined

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Chat thread what are some good games with job systems? Loved them in FF5 and Tactics and dabbled in fire emblem.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Chat thread what are some good games with job systems? Loved them in FF5 and Tactics and dabbled in fire emblem.

Do you consider Octopath Traveler a good game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yakuza: Like A Dragon is a very good game although its job system is kind of rudimentary

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together, tons of cool and unique classes in that one, If you liked FFT you'll like Luct.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I've always looked at Octopath Traveler and never took the dive. Not sure why. Too large of a backlog, I guess..

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Fell Seal is pretty decent if you liked FFT. Story is very cliche, however.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dioxazine posted:

I've always looked at Octopath Traveler and never took the dive. Not sure why. Too large of a backlog, I guess..

For me, the art style just completely failed to grab me. I understand the sort of style they were going for - a retro JRPG throwback with a popup storybook aesthetic - but it feels like a weird compromise that never fully meshes together enough for my sensibilities. The base price being so absurdly high ($83 CDN!) doesn't help, either.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I definitely had an issue with the price. I'm usually reticent about paying over 60 CAD for any game that isn't a Paradox game. Sucker for those.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

While the combat system is pretty good, Octopath traveler is very dire in its writing and localization, and its failed stylistic experimentation, disjointed story structure and unnatural sounding dialogue end up making the entire thing feel very sterile and boring. I am not looking forward to this studio's next game at all.

Oh it has voice acting too, and it is very bad.

E: The dungeons suck too, almost forgot.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Project Triangle Strategy seems like it'll be pretty good going by the demo idk

Does anyone know if the original Famicom Detective Clubs were good I'm weirdly excited for these remakes in a few days but I don't know if I should be