Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Forgive me Ernesto for I have sinned

You did it. You crazy son of a bitch you did it.

Might wanna dress the edge of it with a dab of epoxy maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

meltie posted:

You did it. You crazy son of a bitch you did it.

Might wanna dress the edge of it with a dab of epoxy maybe?

Yeah inside and outside edges have both been deburred with 320 grit so it's a nice smooth edge and exposed fibres sealed with a clear coat. I don't think you'll see those marks (curse you old masking tape) once the grommet is on but my special effects painter wife has suggested pencil and another coat of Matt if it does.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hell yeah gently caress up that frame good

(looks like a tidy job)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Yeah inside and outside edges have both been deburred with 320 grit so it's a nice smooth edge and exposed fibres sealed with a clear coat. I don't think you'll see those marks (curse you old masking tape) once the grommet is on but my special effects painter wife has suggested pencil and another coat of Matt if it does.

Top work.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Whos riding bikes today!?!

I've got 120km of gravel with 2 other guys who are fast af so I expect my taint and median nerves will both be destroyed by this afternoon.

Can't decide if i should cram all my stuff in a frame bag and jersey pockets or say gently caress it and bring my camelbak.

At least it won't be hot. Gonna be 2c when we start and 12 when we finish.

I wish it was hot. :smith:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

60mi mtb race on deck today with 3hrs sleep. Should be a good day!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

60mi mtb race on deck today with 3hrs sleep. Should be a good day!

hell yeah :sludgepal:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bicycle Megathread 5: He Actually Drilled The Frame

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Bicycle Megathread 5: Home of the drill-nago

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm so proud of you.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Awwwwwww yeeeeeaahh

Fuckin fine rear end frame

Noooooo you can’t drill a boutique Italian lugged carbon frame! Put etap on it!!!

Haha colnago go brrrrt

Nicely done LAC

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
dril

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I don't have cold weather gear yet, and it was 37F this morning, so I threw the new bike on my fluid trainer in my office. Had to pretty close to max out the seat mast, but the ergonomics are so much better than the old piece of poo poo bike even with the small frame size.

Without actual measuring, I'm guestimating the big chainring on my old bike is about halfway between the small and big rings on the new bike, and the smallest cog on the old cassette was a 16T. I did one of my usual 30 minute HIIT sessions from GCN and where I was maxxing out my gears on the old bike, I was on the big ring and halfway down the cassette during the efforts and I was DYING. But goddamn it feels good, and this is going to fly outside.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

More bits for the build. This is getting out of hand but YOLO. Current mission is to find 160mm rotors in stock anywhere and decide on bar tape colour. I also need tyres. More interesting is my need for something to plug the downtube hole neatly, I can either file down a c64 top tube plug to fit or I might design and 3d print one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Do they have to be campag rotors

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Is this the right place to ask for recommendations? Apparently I've been "borrowing" my brothers bike too much and need to get my own. I mostly ride in the neighborhood/on paved trails, but occasionally will go on a dirt trail. entirely for exercise purposes. My brother has a Framed X300 bike, which seems to be a bit of a cheapo special, but I don't mind spending a bit more. I'm thinking less than a thousand in terms of budget. Any idea what type of bike I should be looking at? The bike store closed to me seems to stock mostly Specialized bicycles, but there's also a place that stocks Trek a bit further out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

At the moment it's a question of what they have in stock rather than what is best out of all the options in theory - ring them up and ask.

If you like your local CL then people can have a look too.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do they have to be campag rotors

No but I don't like how Shimano rotors look. I was going to get galfers but it sounds like they warp pretty badly

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

No but I don't like how Shimano rotors look. I was going to get galfers but it sounds like they warp pretty badly

I am using Ashima Brake Disc Ai2 Rotors and centerlock adaptors, lighter than Shimano I haven't managed to warp them but they feel horrible like it's metal on metal.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Awwwwwww yeeeeeaahh

Fuckin fine rear end frame

Okay this is cool and good. Now someone tell me just how hard it is to route the cables through the frame because that seems like a huge PITA.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Good Idea: Invisible bike helmet!

https://hovding.com/

Seems to work pretty well!

Bad Idea: It's, like, $600 :chanpop:

Isn't available in the USA. Only works once. :psyduck:

Who in their right mind would shell out that much cash for a one-time use?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MetaJew posted:

Okay this is cool and good. Now someone tell me just how hard it is to route the cables through the frame because that seems like a huge PITA.

It depends on the frame construction. The fanciest have internal guides that let you just push the cable through. The least compatible are closed off, like the DT butts up to a closed/solid BB shell. In which case you'd need to drill another hole there, too.

Things are easier for you're running a wire with no turning or bending limitations, though.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Parrotine posted:

I mean if you crash in a normal helmet even once you should also replace it, and people spend hundreds of dollars on them already. It’s not too far fetched really.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Parrotine posted:

it's also 800 grams, which seems like a pretty big weight to hang around your neck for a bike ride, and you need to charge it every ~15 hours!

seems like a poo poo idea all around imo

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

I mean if you crash in a normal helmet even once you should also replace it, and people spend hundreds of dollars on them already. It’s not too far fetched really.

This. Helmets are one time use. EPS/koroyd isn't designed to be reused.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Samopsa posted:

it's also 800 grams, which seems like a pretty big weight to hang around your neck for a bike ride, and you need to charge it every ~15 hours!

seems like a poo poo idea all around imo

Its up there with the motorcycle airbag that you have to pay a subscription charge to use. Stop paying the monthly fee and the airbag doesn't deploy when you have an accident!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Remember when we used to just own the things we paid for?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Guinness posted:

Helmets don't "deploy" if you accidentally pump into a pole or the doorway at the gas station convenience store.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Helmets don't "deploy" if you accidentally pump into a pole or the doorway at the gas station convenience store.

My friends have all setup their emergency contact and alert stuff since I had my accident and last week my best mates watch sent the emergency alert out to his wife because he braked sharply for a red light and it thought he'd crashed.

I'm just imagining that and then this massive airbag helmet goes off and flings him off the bike and I cant stop laughing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My Garmin’s incident detection has literally never gone off when I’ve crashed, but it’s gone off countless times braking, and not even very hard. I would never rely on it to be very accurate.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I already have an extremely clean Tommasini Super Prestige frame sitting in my attic waiting to be built up. It's a 58 and I normally ride a 52-56. Not ideal but I wasn't overly concerned about the size. I put 6,000 miles on my first bike which was similarly sized. Then this guy popped up on craigslist. It's a 54, much better fit but doesn't look like the chrome is in near as good shape. Ahh what to do.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

saw this on my local FB marketplace:

lazy single speed conversion, ok

interesting single brake lever setup and... galvanized pipe grips?

wait what

:catstare:

edit: i love how the description acts as if this is completely normal. at least they are only asking $80:

Hello,
Moving out of the city and unfortunately have to sell my bike. It's a steel frame, 57cm frame, which is a larger frame for someone around 6 feet tall. I'm 6'3" and it's a little small but I prefer it that way. I installed a wood seat and longer handle bars so is more of a cruiser than sports bike. These can both easily be replaced if you wanted a different build. Additional details/specs below and if you have questions let me know. Pickup near Francisco Brown Line stop. Thanks!

Additional Details:
Front and rear tires and inner tubes are ~6months old.
Front wheel is ~6month old.
Original rear wheel.
Repacked all the bearings.
Single speed, although has the capacity for installing a rear derailleur.
Only the front brake is installed, has the capacity for a rear brake install.
Front milk crate basket.
Custom yellow finish.

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 9, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MetaJew posted:

For non-steel frames you can get a routing kit which is a bit of wire with a magnet on the end which helps massively.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

lol

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Parrotine posted:

These things have become pretty popular around here (larger northern european city). Mostly with commuters and older folks on ebikes it seems to me. I think lots of people in those groups just don’t want to wear helmets for vanity reasons but care about the safety issue and have the cash to spend.

I once met a guy who kinda took it to the other extreme. He was riding an unregulated ebike, fully embracing vehicular cycling, while wearing a very loud bespoke tweed suit, expensive shoes and a white Giro aerohead.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

If I squint it looks like it says “SHART BUS” on the top tube

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Serendipitaet posted:

I once met a guy who kinda took it to the other extreme. He was riding an unregulated ebike, fully embracing vehicular cycling, while wearing a very loud bespoke tweed suit, expensive shoes and a white Giro aerohead.

Certain people shun style in favour of the "simply buy the most expensive thing possible" approach so I'm pretty sure I know what happened here.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

resident posted:

If I squint it looks like it says “SHART BUS” on the top tube

I think it's "SHORT BUS" but I like your take better.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Vando posted:

Certain people shun style in favour of the "simply buy the most expensive thing possible" approach so I'm pretty sure I know what happened here.

I can’t speak to that but the dude was chill and I gotta say the whole package looked pretty amazing. Plus it was one more bike on the road instead of a car so more power to him imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is it by a beach? I could totally see myself sat back on my bike with chair smoking a fat one in the sunshine while catching up with the latest news.