Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Dawn is out there swinging

https://twitter.com/DawnButlerBrent/status/1391414964808781837

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How dare a woman and politician wear comfortable clothing and relate to people!

The Scandal!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
she looks just like a normal person in the street wearing normal clothes

https://twitter.com/ChrisKPH/status/1391438362142248960?s=19

clearly she should be wearing a shiny blue suit to emphasise she is a woman of the people

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

RAYNER'S LEOPARD-PRINT TROUSERS COST US HARTLEPOOL!

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I was eager to read what the likes of rawnsley and toynbee were going to smear in poo poo on the walls of their padded cell. Rawnsley delivers in spades:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/may/09/keir-srarmer-act-urgently-rescue-labour-from-plight

no it's the voters that are wrong posted:

The least persuasive diagnosis of why the party has suffered some bitter disappointments is that offered by visitors from cloud-Corbyn-land who demand a return to the glorious days of the last leader. Labour has a lot of hard thinking to do, but the party’s mind will be wandering in precisely the wrong direction if it decides that the answer is to re-embrace Corbynism. For those with short memories, that was the suicidal experiment that crushed the party’s parliamentary representation down to its lowest level since 1935 and inflicted deep tissue damage to its reputation that is still hurting today.

Also, I am guessing Rawnsley is still besties with everyone's favorite poo poo stirrer Tom:

no it's the voters that are wrong posted:

One former Labour cabinet minister, who was incredibly pleased when Sir Keir won the leadership, now confesses to some disappointment: “There is no sense yet of a coherent political project. You need a leader who is a storyteller as well as having role authority. Keir has role authority, but he hasn’t got emotional engagement with the country.”

I can't wait to hear what Toynbee has to say on the topic.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
wtf is "role authority" and would this anonymous source like to expand on how Keith possesses it

also loving lmao at the shocking revelation that a politician needs policies

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Nice to see the Tories joining in on the fun as well:
https://twitter.com/DanOB1986/status/1391434726297190401

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/andyburnhamgm/status/1391444800772116483?s=21

lol, holy poo poo

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm starting to think a lot of Labour figures really loving hate Starmer but had been discretely keeping their powder dry before now.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Apraxin posted:

Nice to see the Tories joining in on the fun as well:
https://twitter.com/DanOB1986/status/1391434726297190401

lmao can't wait for the next culture war to be "Drink driving is cool actually and I'm better at it when I'm shitfaced."

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm starting to think a lot of Labour figures really loving hate Starmer but had been discretely keeping their powder dry before now.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a fair chunk of otherwise pretty neutral labour figures who are pissed off that a year has been wasted on factional rubbish leading up to a humiliating election performance when he ran on a platform of party unity and continuity of policy.

Mister Fantastic
Oct 25, 2007
Fallen Rib

XMNN posted:

He does have policies. He has:
* sensible centrism
* flags

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

XMNN posted:

wtf is "role authority" and would this anonymous source like to expand on how Keith possesses it

There's a real tendency for centrists to invent meaningless new terms and act like they're supposed to be important to justify their dumb poo poo they have no real excuse for

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Gats Akimbo posted:

RAYNER'S LEOPARD-PRINT TROUSERS COST US HARTLEPOOL!

Obviously all the Hartlepool people saw those trousers and worried that they were about to get their faces eaten. Let it be known that Hartlepool does not approve of leopards eating people's faces.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I think I'm right in thinking that Corbyn was criticized for a bit of an unfocused scattergun approach with too many wildly ranging policies being announced one after the other. I guess Starmer was determined not to make the same mistake.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Suppose Corbyn couldn't do much else except to try and distract people from the brexit issue and labours stance on it, which had been decided on earlier by party vote (iirc).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Considering Starmer had to be persuaded to run as an MP in the first place, and then only ran as Leader because everyone kept telling him how good he'd be, none of this is a surprise.

The man is utterly incapable of doing anything that requires independent thought. And the fact that he continually seems to lean on the stupidest, worst-informed people in the room for advice is just the cherry on top.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think I'm right in thinking that Corbyn was criticized for a bit of an unfocused scattergun approach with too many wildly ranging policies being announced one after the other. I guess Starmer was determined not to make the same mistake.

Charitable, but I think he just doesn't have any policies. He doesn't have anything that he, personally, wants the Labour party to achieve.

Basically any time he's asked in an interview "so what do you want to do?" he almost soils himself in panic.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pistol_Pete posted:

For sure.
Wasn't too long ago you had people football chanting your leader's name all over the place and doing average person things like sitting down in train.
Now you have a guy with a permanent confused expression, constantly wearing out of place italian mobster suits, and who only appears in stock photo like campaign pictures.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

OwlFancier posted:

Very unfair to chaos cultists to compare them to mandelson.

That's an Imperial Priest quote, though. https://youtu.be/JbCjE4af1OE?t=100

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

kingturnip posted:

and then only ran as Leader because everyone kept telling him how good he'd be, none of this is a surprise.
well, you say everyone...

https://twitter.com/BenNunnUK/status/1245786818257313792?s=19

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

this weekend has been absolutely wonderful!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

StarkingBarfish posted:

I was eager to read what the likes of rawnsley and toynbee were going to smear in poo poo on the walls of their padded cell. Rawnsley delivers in spades:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/may/09/keir-srarmer-act-urgently-rescue-labour-from-plight

Also, I am guessing Rawnsley is still besties with everyone's favorite poo poo stirrer Tom:

I can't wait to hear what Toynbee has to say on the topic.

cloud-Corbyn-land is a great username

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

XMNN posted:

He's a middle aged,rich,sensible, white man who wears a suit and is a Sir, so really its only natural for him to be PM.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

His Divine Shadow posted:

Suppose Corbyn couldn't do much else except to try and distract people from the brexit issue and labours stance on it, which had been decided on earlier by party vote (iirc).
That's the biggest shame.

Once that vote came in, Brexit was a sealed deal, just looking at the constituency map of how the country voted. Any attempt to undermine it or treat it as advisory or anything that was even perceived as such would have just gone Britain's Road to Fascism.

What wasn't guaranteed was who was going to lead Britain into Brexit, especially after the years of deadlock. And if anyone could have sold an anti-racist, anti-imperialist, internationalist version it was his faction (or Tony Benn, who was unfortunately dead at the time).

But that didn't happen, so we got Brexit with the racists and conmen instead.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I was trying to think of actual policy starmer had announced and it's somehow worse than 'none':

Does anyone remember 'covid recovery bonds'?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/18/keir-starmer-labour-must-work-with-business-to-create-fairer-society

This was back in February in his speech on the economy, and it sounded at the time like they were making it a huge policy reveal. I've not a peep about it since. Was this mentioned at all in the recent canvassing?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

StarkingBarfish posted:

I was trying to think of actual policy starmer had announced and it's somehow worse than 'none':

Does anyone remember 'covid recovery bonds'?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/18/keir-starmer-labour-must-work-with-business-to-create-fairer-society

This was back in February in his speech on the economy, and it sounded at the time like they were making it a huge policy reveal. I've not a peep about it since. Was this mentioned at all in the recent canvassing?

No because it's not really anything to do with local government but more importantly it was a loving poo poo policy that had no purpose other than him needing a policy to announce when he said the pandemic is the greatest crisis since world war 2 and so something must be done.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
lmao https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1391444169617510407

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

namesake posted:

No because it's not really anything to do with local government but more importantly it was a loving poo poo policy that had no purpose other than him needing a policy to announce when he said the pandemic is the greatest crisis since world war 2 and so something must be done.

That, and it was a policy previously announced by a tory think thank lol.

Bristol is alright.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 9, 2021

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Can we take a minute to appreciate that Starmer's reshuffle has been going on for more than a day and all he's done is sack one person and promise them another unspecified job.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

XMNN posted:

His role is sub.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

"The left have nowhere else to go!"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kingturnip posted:

Considering Starmer had to be persuaded to run as an MP in the first place, and then only ran as Leader because everyone kept telling him how good he'd be, none of this is a surprise.

The man is utterly incapable of doing anything that requires independent thought. And the fact that he continually seems to lean on the stupidest, worst-informed people in the room for advice is just the cherry on top.

There might be something in that. One person I know in the local CLP implored me last Autumn to rejoin 'for Keir' and also 'fessed up that she had written to him just months after him becoming an MP to please stand for leader.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Amazed Keir hasn't kicked Burnham out of the party for his scruffy jackets yet.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
She was dressed inappropriately for representing Starmer's Labour, in that she should have been wearing a clownsuit and a big red nose

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I was thinking earlier about how ridiculous it is calling it a shuffle, like it's random chance who gets what. I don't think a sensible organisation pulls straws to see who get what's job.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

jabby posted:

Can we take a minute to appreciate that Starmer's reshuffle has been going on for more than a day and all he's done is sack one person and promise them another unspecified job.

I assume he is consulting with Chapman very closely for multiple hours at a time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Honestly why are melts *so* obsessed with Yvette Cooper? She seems a fairly bog-standard middle-ranker - is this the actual reason? They assume someone quite so milquetoast is the epitome of "electability"?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is this party trying to do Putin publicity: where they cause so many scandals in a short space of time that people forget the original scandal?

No one's forgetting that Starmer tanked Labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I was thinking earlier about how ridiculous it is calling it a shuffle, like it's random chance who gets what. I don't think a sensible organisation pulls straws to see who get what's job.

It's nothing to do with job competence really. Mostly just a way of giving your mates something high profile to do, and putting your rivals in a position where they aren't allowed to openly shittalk you.