Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"Dad, get me a burrow owl. I'll never ask for anything else as long as I live."

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

There's tough competition, but somehow The Family Circus manages to be the most cynical and joyless comic in this thread sometimes. Why is the dad so miserable?!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Someone should do a wellness check on this dad; he looks like he's thinking "gently caress my life".

e: Beaten, but it's actually sort of funny in a gallows humor way that I doubt Keane intended. The picture is so joyous but the dad looks utterly miserable.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Someone should do a wellness check on this dad; he looks like he's thinking "gently caress my life".

e: Beaten, but it's actually sort of funny in a gallows humor way that I doubt Keane intended. The picture is so joyous but the dad looks utterly miserable.
I'm the baby plowing through a box of chocolates.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Family Circus hasn't always been that way, right? I feel like my memory is that the dad and mom used to be amused by their children's antics.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Now that the thread has pointed it out I can't unsee how apathetic and broken the Family Circus parents seem to be.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

FWIW Thel seems to be having a lovely time and I interpret the dad as just noticing stuff like PJ getting into the chocolates and someone's fly being down, not hating spending time with his kids in general.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

PetraCore posted:

FWIW Thel seems to be having a lovely time and I interpret the dad as just noticing stuff like PJ getting into the chocolates and someone's fly being down, not hating spending time with his kids in general.

Yeah, I think it's supposed to be that or the fact that corraling them to sit for the picture was rough. I'm just amused by how defeated he looks.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Yeah, I think it's supposed to be that or the fact that corraling them to sit for the picture was rough. I'm just amused by how defeated he looks.

Yeah, I think he's just realizing he's never getting them all to sit still for 1/60th of a second (to steal a joke from a Calvin strip). Maybe we've all been reading too much Foob.

e: And/or Cruel Little Stories.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's not like the photo's gonna blur if they move, what's the problem

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Literally

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 9, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I think it's that the kids are all blocking their mother from the camera shot, so mother is not going to be in the mother's day picture.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Given all that I don't think such a dower expression is warranted.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Oh Lawrence :allears:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

I think it's more commonly called squash in places like the UK, but it's not really something we do here in the US anymore (if we ever did, I'm not sure). Typically the only fruit you can get as a concentrate is orange and it's frozen in a can.

Yeah, I guess a closer comparison is that they're filling the same kind of market for mixable drinks as Kool aid/flavor aid and the like fills in the US. They aren't juice-replacements as much as flavoured, generally sugary ways to drink water.
It does mean that there are very few powdered/dry drink mixes on the market here, as people are just used to getting them in liquid form. They also double as a convenient way to preserve summer fruits and berries as well, so there's a lot of history with making them at home.
It's just another aspect to jamming and jarring.

We still have the normal market of ready-to-drink fruit juices and the like you'd expect.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Wallace the Brave continues to own.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

amigolupus posted:

After all the family drama and misery, this strip is a breath of fresh air. More like this, please, Mämmilä.

I had the same reaction.

Whew!

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

My brain is rejecting this comic. It cannot abide the notion that someone thought this lovely pun was worth Sunday comic real estate.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pancho Jueves posted:

My brain is rejecting this comic. It cannot abide the notion that someone thought this lovely pun was worth Sunday comic real estate.

Mine can't accept that flower. It looks nothing like a vagina.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

What's weird about the dad's reaction is that would be a great picture. They'd laugh over it at family reunions the rest of their lives. Normally I'd expect Family Circus to play that up.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Is she the one putting out the cupcakes, or is someone putting the cupcakes out for her? We'll never know, and I think deep down, I never want to know. Knowing would ruin the magic of Ballard Street.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Died! (May 18, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 11, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 18, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 27, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 27, 1935)

Mopsy (January 27, 1937)

Dark Laughter (August 4, 1945)

Those Were the Days (April 2, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (August 17, 1965)

Wee Pals (August 17, 1965)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I don't think I'll be able to post tomorrow, so here's some early Valiant.

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 25, 1945)

The Medieval Castle (Feb. 25, 1945)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Slammy posted:

Oh my god this is so good.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
drat that's a fine frog

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (May 12, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

COVIDshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Kinda botched my Sunday again, but at least I have a decent holiday reason to hang it on this time. Life (with Skippy) will happen tomorrow, I promise.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Slammy posted:

And He Died! (May 18, 1918)

Those Were the Days (April 2, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (August 17, 1965)

These two Morrie strips are great, and I think I agree with that Those Were the Days? The drug store growth led directly to big-box retail, and I think I might prefer the inconvenience of a bunch of little shops for things. Not that I'd know for sure. I've never had a big-box-free life.

Also "goat eats gunpowder and might explode" is also the plot of an Andy Griffith Show episode. And He Did? More like "Andy did," ammirite?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Vargo posted:

These two Morrie strips are great, and I think I agree with that Those Were the Days? The drug store growth led directly to big-box retail, and I think I might prefer the inconvenience of a bunch of little shops for things. Not that I'd know for sure. I've never had a big-box-free life.

Also "goat eats gunpowder and might explode" is also the plot of an Andy Griffith Show episode. And He Did? More like "Andy did," ammirite?
The funny thing is, soda fountains were actually considered medicinal at the time! Lots of things were considered medicinal. Mostly things that had some sort of visible effect on the body but gently caress if anyone could figure out what exactly it was doing. As far as I know that's how you ended up with things like the original coca-cola formula containing actual cocaine, because soda was medicine, and cocaine was medicine, so cocaine soda was extra medicine!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EasyEW posted:

COVIDshaft
i'm guessing this is another case of batiuk-vision because the vintage theatres in my city have predominantly millennial audiences.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vargo posted:

When you have the luxury of choice, sure, but I grew up in the middle of nowhere and our local department store with their policy of "a little bit of everything, and if you need something else we can order it for you" was a lifeline that prevented a day trip to Santa Fe every time kids outgrew their shoes or you needed a new belt. Closed down last year after 40 years being part of the town, end of an era.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

:stare: Wow.

They're perfect complements to each other. She's got the combined emotional tenor of a haunted opera house on fire, and Drew channels a glass of room temperature milk.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Well, here’s a much more succinct way to explain to people why I left Facebook and Twitter last year.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Bruceski posted:

Mine can't accept that flower. It looks nothing like a vagina.

well no, in this painting that's the giant ram skull's job!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/9/01

Brenda Starr 6/10-12/46

I notice Messick is experimenting a bit more lately with different sizes and shapes of lettering.

Smokey Stover 1/12/41

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus Ad! Every babysitter knows that if the kids are acting out, the best way to get them quieted down is to give them ... coffee?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Maybe he's turning into Thel's first husband Steve, whos the kids biological father.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (March 26 - April 1, 2001)

I don't even know. Bears are omnivorous already, why would someone care that their children don't eat meat?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 29, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 29, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 29, 1989)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown?

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther