Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MomJeans420 posted:

Right, which is why beta AEB for pedestrians that works 50% of the time is an improvement to road safety, but auto pilot / fraud self driving that works 99% of the time is not

I agree, assuming they are used properly they are a probably a net benefit, but there’s some line blurring going on when people say things like “my car can detect pedestrians” because no, it can’t, not reliably enough for it to matter, and hopefully you don’t trust it to do so.

These sorts of things really need to be married to functional driver monitoring for them to actually fulfill their potential. Thankfully the EU will be mandating those, hopefully with some criteria strong enough to prevent an orange stuck in the wheel spikes from fooling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4551307186670198#&video

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Evil Robot posted:

BTW, it seems that most vehicles these days (even ICE) have a "hold" feature that keeps them from moving at stop signs... I think it's using the electronic parking brake.

My Optima was definitely using continuous brake pressure. If you were stopped for too long (like in a drive through queue), the handbrake would turn on. But that was after maybe 5 minutes.

Edit: Decided to check out how the ID.3 did with regard to the AEB. Turns out it did well. I'm more amazed that they put an airbag between the front passengers, and how rigid cars are now. The "pole" side impact that euro NCAP does used to intrude massively into the car. Now it barely makes a dent in comparison. I guess the structure protecting the battery helps with this.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 9, 2021

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
They pretty much designed it under the mandate that the battery compartment should never be compromised by a side impact to reduce risk of battery fires.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 9, 2021

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I'm shopping for an EV to replace my aging tiny Suzuki for commuting and day trips.

It's going to be a daily 45km commute both ways, with max. 200km day trips 10-12 times/year. I've test driven the 2019 Model 3 and a 2019 Kia e-Soul, and both cars will comfortably fit two adults and two kids (7 and 10) for when we do day trips. HOWEVER (and you knew this was coming), we're getting a golden retreiver field type puppy this summer that will be joining us for day trips in a safety cage. I can't see the dog having a good time in the Model 3 with the low, closed-off boot, which basically rules that out. The e-Soul seems a more promising, but I'm very unsure if the boot is big enough to fit a small golden. Any experienced dog owners with an e-Soul, who can give input?

I should also state that we're on a budget so sadly, a Model Y or X is out of the picture, as is the Ioniq 5 or any other brand new EV really (I'm in Europe so there is no used Model Y market, before you ask).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mzuri posted:

I'm shopping for an EV to replace my aging tiny Suzuki for commuting and day trips.

It's going to be a daily 45km commute both ways, with max. 200km day trips 10-12 times/year. I've test driven the 2019 Model 3 and a 2019 Kia e-Soul, and both cars will comfortably fit two adults and two kids (7 and 10) for when we do day trips. HOWEVER (and you knew this was coming), we're getting a golden retreiver field type puppy this summer that will be joining us for day trips in a safety cage. I can't see the dog having a good time in the Model 3 with the low, closed-off boot, which basically rules that out. The e-Soul seems a more promising, but I'm very unsure if the boot is big enough to fit a small golden. Any experienced dog owners with an e-Soul, who can give input?

I should also state that we're on a budget so sadly, a Model Y or X is out of the picture, as is the Ioniq 5 or any other brand new EV really (I'm in Europe so there is no used Model Y market, before you ask).

I would add a newish Nissan Leaf, which has a useful hatchback, as well as the Hyundai Kona/KIA Niro electrics to the list if you can get them in budget where you are.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mzuri posted:

You've picked an expensive dog, in car terms! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPQs3mBDTq8

It might be a bit small for a grown golden retriever. I think the Kia e-Niro is significantly bigger, perhaps a bit pricier too. You'll have to look up the measurements of a typical cage vs the trunk. Their brother from another mother is the Hyundai Kona, better efficiency, same battery, same software. It might have a bit more space than the e-Soul, but less than the e-Niro. Assuming you mean the 64 kWh versions, they will all eat your range requirements for breakfast and take you on some longer holidays too.

A Leaf 2 40 kWh is going out of fashion quite quickly, so it should be possible to get for pretty cheap. It has pretty decent trunk space, but you'd have to charge on those day trips and there's a limited amount of CHAdeMO compared to CCS.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What's the budget and what country?

Looks like a bit of a squeeze for a Lab but I've never used one.

I think something like a used Enyaq would be ideal when they hit the market

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/skoda-enyaq-iv-suv--gelaendewagen-2021-vorfuehrmodell?vehid=8619228

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 9, 2021

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

Ola posted:

You've picked an expensive dog, in car terms! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPQs3mBDTq8

It might be a bit small for a grown golden retriever. I think the Kia e-Niro is significantly bigger, perhaps a bit pricier too. You'll have to look up the measurements of a typical cage vs the trunk. Their brother from another mother is the Hyundai Kona, better efficiency, same battery, same software. It might have a bit more space than the e-Soul, but less than the e-Niro. Assuming you mean the 64 kWh versions, they will all eat your range requirements for breakfast and take you on some longer holidays too.

A Leaf 2 40 kWh is going out of fashion quite quickly, so it should be possible to get for pretty cheap. It has pretty decent trunk space, but you'd have to charge on those day trips and there's a limited amount of CHAdeMO compared to CCS.

Yeah, I suspected as much :(

I actually hadn't considered the e-Niro as it just looked small in pictures, but I think I'll have a second look. Used ones from 2019+ seem to be just within my budget. I'll also have a second look at the Kona, maybe.

knox_harrington posted:

What's the budget and what country?

I think something like a used Enyaq would be ideal when they hit the market

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/skoda-enyaq-iv-suv--gelaendewagen-2021-vorfuehrmodell?vehid=8619228

Max DKK 300k(ish) and Denmark. The Enyaq is probably a year or so out from having used ones approaching my price range, sadly.

Finger Prince posted:

I would add a newish Nissan Leaf, which has a useful hatchback, as well as the Hyundai Kona/KIA Niro electrics to the list if you can get them in budget where you are.

280km on paper is in range-anxiety inducing territory for me, although even newer Leafs are quite cheap - which bodes badly for the resale value if I need to unload it again for some reason. I also forgot to mention that I've test-driven a new Leaf and I did not like the steering one bit.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Found it! :v:

https://www.bilbasen.dk/brugt/bil/tesla/model-s/85-5d/5083360

Or import a cheaper one from Norway.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Please name said vehicles because I'm not really aware any OEM doing OTA in the way Tesla are?

I’ve gotten a bunch of new updates on my BMW. Android auto support, a dashcam app that uses the 360 camera, CarPlay maps on the heads up display are just some of the features I noticed.

Maybe it’s not quite like Tesla but I appreciated it.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

Ola posted:

Found it! :v:

https://www.bilbasen.dk/brugt/bil/tesla/model-s/85-5d/5083360

Or import a cheaper one from Norway.

Ha! I think the added insurance costs alone would double the monthly cost of ownership :ohdear:

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Mzuri posted:

Yeah, I suspected as much :(

I actually hadn't considered the e-Niro as it just looked small in pictures, but I think I'll have a second look. Used ones from 2019+ seem to be just within my budget. I'll also have a second look at the Kona, maybe.

I've got an eNiro and a 25kg collie (he's a similar size to our neighbour's lab but lighter) and he fits in the boot fine. It's quite a jump up and we've got a metal guard behind the rear seats rather than a cage. You're not going to fit anything else in the back at the same time as a dog though, the real killer is how short (from the back of the rear seats to the door) the boot space is. The Kona is quite a bit smaller than the Niro and the Soul is even smaller than that. The Niro has loads of room for child seats in the back though, much more than the big diesel SAAB estate we use when we have to take the whole family anywhere with luggage. It's really nice being able to fit a lengthways load divider and give the dog his own space. The only EVs on the UK market that'll do that right now are the eTron, the id4 and the Enyaq and they were all way out of our budget.

In the UK at least, all the long range Leafs come with a subwoofer bolted into the middle of the boot space which completely ruled them out for us with a dog.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

eeenmachine posted:

P100D X and Model 3 Perf both driven in Chill mode all the time in my household. Shredding tires off every light gets old after a while.

Look at this dumb wrong idiot.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

kronix posted:

I’ve gotten a bunch of new updates on my BMW. Android auto support, a dashcam app that uses the 360 camera, CarPlay maps on the heads up display are just some of the features I noticed.

Maybe it’s not quite like Tesla but I appreciated it.

I get basic updates OTA, and all the 2020 Taycans are being updated to 2021 software by a dealer update.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Bum the Sad posted:

Look at this dumb wrong idiot.

Don't worry I'm downgrading to a pokey Taycan so I don't have to feel guilty driving in Chill mode anymore lol.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Yeep posted:

I've got an eNiro and a 25kg collie (he's a similar size to our neighbour's lab but lighter) and he fits in the boot fine. It's quite a jump up and we've got a metal guard behind the rear seats rather than a cage. You're not going to fit anything else in the back at the same time as a dog though, the real killer is how short (from the back of the rear seats to the door) the boot space is.

In the UK at least, all the long range Leafs come with a subwoofer bolted into the middle of the boot space which completely ruled them out for us with a dog.

That ruled out the SL Leaf for us in the ‘States as well. Who TF sold Nissan on ruining the hatch space with an amplifier?!

Are there EU rules on dog security and/or minimum space in a car?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

eeenmachine posted:

Don't worry I'm downgrading to a pokey Taycan so I don't have to feel guilty driving in Chill mode anymore lol.

Oh cool you ordered one? What did you get?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

knox_harrington posted:

Oh cool you ordered one? What did you get?

RWD with perf batt, air, rear steering in red with mission e wheels. Won't be here until the end of July :(

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Advent Horizon posted:

That ruled out the SL Leaf for us in the ‘States as well. Who TF sold Nissan on ruining the hatch space with an amplifier?!

Bose, I think.

On the topic of dogs in hatchbacks, our Black lab/rottweiler could fit in our old Honda fit, able to turn around, sit down and lie down. The Leaf SL actually allows him to pretty comfortably curl up and sleep.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

Yeep posted:

I've got an eNiro and a 25kg collie (he's a similar size to our neighbour's lab but lighter) and he fits in the boot fine. It's quite a jump up and we've got a metal guard behind the rear seats rather than a cage. You're not going to fit anything else in the back at the same time as a dog though, the real killer is how short (from the back of the rear seats to the door) the boot space is. The Kona is quite a bit smaller than the Niro and the Soul is even smaller than that. The Niro has loads of room for child seats in the back though, much more than the big diesel SAAB estate we use when we have to take the whole family anywhere with luggage. It's really nice being able to fit a lengthways load divider and give the dog his own space. The only EVs on the UK market that'll do that right now are the eTron, the id4 and the Enyaq and they were all way out of our budget.

Thanks for this, it really helps! The mom and dad of our dog are both collie-sized, so your experience is highly appreciated.

We have a VW Caddy for my wife's daily needs and Serious Family Trips (like camping), so it's not like we're locked into never going anywhere, but it would just be nice to be able to pack everyone and the dog into the electric car for day trips. I have a hobby that necessitates towing a small trailer with a light boat on it, so a tow hook would be a plus - hence why I was hoping for the e-Soul to fit the bill.

Oh well. Guess I'll save up a bit more and hope nothing on the house breaks for the next year or so :)

E: ^-- Thanks :)

Mzuri fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 9, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
For the 2019 Soul, is that the first generation or second generation? In the U.S. model year 2019 is still the first, which is pretty different than the second in terms of battery technology.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Advent Horizon posted:

Seemed like in Germany / Benelux region everybody had a special crate or barrier of some kind.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

Advent Horizon posted:

Not as far as I'm aware, at least not here in Denmark. However, I'd very much like for a lab-sized dog not to turn into a projectile in a collision, and having him in a safety cage in the cargo area when my family is in the car seems like the best solution for everyone. Especially since we're going to habituate him to the cage being a safe and nice place for him to chill.

Charles posted:

For the 2019 Soul, is that the first generation or second generation? In the U.S. model year 2019 is still the first, which is pretty different than the second in terms of battery technology.

Second Gen, as far as I know.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mzuri posted:

Kia Niro EV Should work

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Mzuri posted:

Thanks for this, it really helps! The mom and dad of our dog are both collie-sized, so your experience is highly appreciated.

We have a VW Caddy for my wife's daily needs and Serious Family Trips (like camping), so it's not like we're locked into never going anywhere, but it would just be nice to be able to pack everyone and the dog into the electric car for day trips. I have a hobby that necessitates towing a small trailer with a light boat on it, so a tow hook would be a plus - hence why I was hoping for the e-Soul to fit the bill.

Oh well. Guess I'll save up a bit more and hope nothing on the house breaks for the next year or so :)

E: ^-- Thanks :)

This is the best photo I could find. The angle isn't great but he's lying sideways because the space is too narrow for him to fit end on. I think the car was less than a day old when I took this photo and we've now got a dog grill to go behind the rear headrests.

It's absolutely fine for family day trips and we've done a couple of single overnight stays, although we've only got one child so we can use some of the back seats for luggage. You can fit some small things in the back (I've occasionally had groceries in there but he's a very well behaved dog) but nothing heavy or bulky. There's definitely not space for a buggy and a dog but that's less important with older children. A roof box would help but I expect that'll hit the range pretty hard. The eNiro isn't rated for towing in Europe. You can get a bike rack specific tow ball but it's very hard to find anyone willing to fit it because they're scared you'll fit a trailer and sue them.

With the Saab, which isn't even that big for an estate, I can do this.

I think if I needed a replacement right now and was dead set on electric I'd be looking for a nice second hand Passat GTE plug-in to tide me over until there are good second hand options available for the ID4 or Enyaq. The Superb iV and the V60 Recharge (the new, bigger one) are both fine as well but they're too new for there to be much on the second hand market and too expensive new compared to the Enyaq.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Mzuri posted:

Not as far as I'm aware, at least not here in Denmark. However, I'd very much like for a lab-sized dog not to turn into a projectile in a collision, and having him in a safety cage in the cargo area when my family is in the car seems like the best solution for everyone. Especially since we're going to habituate him to the cage being a safe and nice place for him to chill.

I agree, but I also think the cage/barrier is often as dangerous as the dog can be. Barriers in particular have no safety standards to meet and just add a bunch of thin metal rods right by the rear seat head rests.

Basically, I’d personally choose a plastic dog crate, airline-style.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Does that include the ones that are OEM designed for the car, or mainly after market stuff?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Advent Horizon posted:

As long as it can be anchored down in the cargo bay, otherwise it’s another projectile. If your EV has only shopping bag hooks I would avoid it.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Mzuri posted:

Are they selling MGs in Europe? MG 5 EV seems like it'll fit your needs. Station wagon layout with a storage space in the back big enough for any dog.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
While I love the idea of a proper EV wagon the MG is pretty grim even compared to their SUVs - it's very clearly built to a price.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

eeenmachine posted:

RWD with perf batt, air, rear steering in red with mission e wheels. Won't be here until the end of July :(

Do the Mission E wheels mean you had to get the brake upgrade, or did you swerve that somehow?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

I agree, but I also think the cage/barrier is often as dangerous as the dog can be. Barriers in particular have no safety standards to meet and just add a bunch of thin metal rods right by the rear seat head rests.

If you drive with your dogs ofted definately get a cage. I drive with my dogs almost daily and I have Variocage brand cage installed which I highly recommend. They are actually designed with safety as priority and are even crash tested. In collisions they sort of compress to mimic car crumple zones. So the cage absorbs some of the crash energy and deforms in a controlled manner, making it safer for both the dogs and passengers. They also come in various sizes and are adjustable so they fit well in just about any car with wagon/suv body style.

My doggos

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

dissss posted:

While I love the idea of a proper EV wagon the MG is pretty grim even compared to their SUVs - it's very clearly built to a price.

It's best to think of the MG5 as a large hatchback, it'll make a great taxi but it's definitely not the large, practical family car MG are desperately trying to sell it as. The boot is the same size as a Niro (and slightly smaller than the ZS) but has a massive drop on the inside that your dog will hate you for and seats that don't fold anywhere near flat. It's got less rear passenger space than the Niro, a much shorter range, roof bars that are for "cosmetic purposes only" an infotainment system that's so bad it might as well not exist, no towing capacity and a dealership network with a terrible reputation. The MG warranty looks good on paper too but there's a huge pile of exceptions in the smallprint. On top of that MG aren't publishing it's NCAP tests results which means they're really bad. Anyone considering an MG5 would be much better off with a Fabia estate and a bunch of carbon credits.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.
I'm going to have to request more pics of dogs in and around cars. For research purposes.

Btw, if you value your sanity stay away from Tesla forum threads discussing how best to transport your dogs :yikes:

Regarding the MG EVs, I desperately want to like them, but everything I read about them makes me want to wait a bit take a step up the quality ladder. Oh, and I watched TeslaBjørns video on the e-Soul last night (I just can't let that car go) and he pointed out that it actually has pretty poor ground clearance with the battery poking further down than the lower edge of the body. That's a big strike against it, as I regularly travel on roughish tracks when going out hunting, and I'd be terrified of a rock in the wrong place impacting the battery. Why must you taunt me so, Kia?!

E: Any opinions on the ë-C4? Looks like it could be interesting.

Mzuri fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 10, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah batteries are pretty thick, and it's hard to cram a 64kwh battery into an ICE designed car. Be sure to look up the specs on any you're into. For example, the Mach E hides some of the battery bulge with the black accents at the bottom, and doesn't have a whole ton of clearance for an SUV, but I don't know the numbers off the top of my head.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mzuri posted:

Yeah maybe, I've forgotten about the French ones. And what about the Peugeot e-2008? Looks like it's on sale as well, 289 900 DKK with adaptive cruise: http://forhandler.peugeot.dk/www-prisliste/e2008_priser_og_specifikationer.pdf

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

One of the vloggers my wife watches got to drive the new Vauxhall electric car for a couple weeks (Mokka E?) and it looked pretty decent. The video was basically an ad so I take it with a grain of salt but maybe something to look for in Euroland.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Mzuri posted:

Btw, if you value your sanity stay away from Tesla forum threads discussing how best to transport your dogs :yikes:

Despite never being on there for longer than a random thread, I'd wager this goes for just about anything on there.

How bad is it to import a car from Sweden or Germany to Denmark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Mzuri posted:

Blissfully ignorant but now I am sort of intrigued.

Mzuri posted:

Why must you taunt me so, Kia?!

Getting EV with proper sized boot is next to impossible before the latest generation of VW models (Enyaq, ID.4, etc.). I checked some models against the Kia e-soul if you want to compare for yourself.

Boot size (length to seat backs / width from narrowest point)
Kia e-soul: 65,5cm / 105,4cm
Hyndai kona e: 72,5cm / 101,3cm
Kia e-Niro: 76,8cm / 105cm
Peugeot e-2008: 78cm / 95,5cm

For comparison, the Enyaq/ID.4 are like 100cm x 100cm.

Left out the ë-C4 because the boot is shaped like a fastback. I dont think you would want to put a dog in there.