Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Yeah, the Classic is based off the original release of the Playstation whose controllers did not have analog sticks.

I actually remember when Ape Escape came out and still I've never played it because I didn't have a controller with analogs until the PS2.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jamie Faith posted:

Hey JunpeiHyde is streaming herself speedrunning Ape Escape 2!

https://www.twitch.tv/sarahyde

I was incredibly shocked as a kid to find out ape escape, monkey ball and monkey Island were not related.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Acerbatus posted:

I was incredibly shocked as a kid to find out ape escape, monkey ball and monkey Island were not related.

I thought I was the only one

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Acerbatus posted:

I knew Monkey Island wasn't but I genuinely thought Monkeyball was an Ape Escape spinoff when I was a kid too

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Garrand posted:

Yeah, the Classic is based off the original release of the Playstation whose controllers did not have analog sticks.

I actually remember when Ape Escape came out and still I've never played it because I didn't have a controller with analogs until the PS2.

fun fact: the original playstation is forwards compatible with dualshock 2 controllers! :pseudo:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hard Toad

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Hard Toad

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Hard Toad

TheReddieBody
Oct 8, 2016

You cannot grasp the point of such a delay, it feeds the body.

The body grows.
Hard Toad

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Endorph posted:

the worst transformers episode is the one where they go to the middle eastern country of 'carbombya'

I thought you were making this poo poo up and decided to search for it on youtube wondering what would even result

holy poo poo

"carbombyan energon" made in a loving oil rig

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
do not post Hard Toad

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I'm going to hunt down Hard Toad and kill him with a spoon

and I'm going to bludgeon him with it too so itll be a slow death

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

do not post Hard Toad

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

It's simple....we kill the Hard Toad

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

that's a lot of camels

i remember hearing about that episode on We hate movies but loving holy gently caress. also wouldnt carbombya be in Northern Ireland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcQBMMkt00Q

Endorph posted:

contras poo poo and anyone who defends her is poo poo. literally mocking people for not being able to afford hrt/hair transplants/laser surgery, lol. this is open and shut. here's a link to the comment if you don't believe it's real. its revolting.

i think she made some good stuff in the past but she seems to have made the choice of "lets pick fights on chanboards and drama poo poo and see how that goes because i have a bunch of insecurities and this "helps" somehow" is pretty loving bad and dumb.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 9, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is there anything remotely similar to the carbombya garbage in other 80s cartoons? I'd think GIJOE would have something but maybe they skirted around that somehow.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

BALLISTIC: TOAD VS JUNPEI

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

is there anything remotely similar to the carbombya garbage in other 80s cartoons? I'd think GIJOE would have something but maybe they skirted around that somehow.

Really that was more the cynicism of jaded adults putting hateful things in their show that they figured kids wouldn’t pick up on than it was a show just having bad politics. I think the people making kids’ shows today actually like kids and want to make things they think kids will enjoy.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Alright we're good with hard toad content now. This thread doesnt need to be a place to promote my twitch lol

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Junpei Hyde posted:

Alright we're good with hard toad content now. This thread doesnt need to be a place to promote my twitch lol

Its just making me laugh because you know the people who weren't watching the stream were very confused by the posts on this page lmao

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I will say I was not watching the stream, or even aware of a stream, but I saw Hard Toad posted four times and wanted to contribute :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Really that was more the cynicism of jaded adults putting hateful things in their show that they figured kids wouldn’t pick up on than it was a show just having bad politics. I think the people making kids’ shows today actually like kids and want to make things they think kids will enjoy.

well most of the cartoons and poo poo made back then were exclusively toy commercials. sure you got way deeper/weirder/better stuff with the GI-joe and transformers comics but the shows were "Buy all our playsets and toys". now its mostly people who want to create weird cartoons or funny poo poo and or like kids. sure they have merch attached and stuff but thats only part of it.

also at some point in the 90s congress realized how hosed cartoons were and basicaly made some super bipartisan thing to keep away from "every cartoon is an ad" thing.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Macaluso posted:

I will say I was not watching the stream, or even aware of a stream, but I saw Hard Toad posted four times and wanted to contribute :v:

lol Dude the stream went nuts when I told them you posted that and they shared it on the stream lol if you want to see it click the link and just fast forward to 3:52:00 of the stream.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1016894677

(Sorry Junpei told us to shut up about the stream so sorry again lol

Junpei Please give me a 6er with the Hard Toad image above as the reason please lol)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 9, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jamie Faith posted:

Its just making me laugh because you know the people who weren't watching the stream were very confused by the posts on this page lmao
I think you greatly overestimate my investment in posting that doesn't directly relate to me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

lol Dude the stream went nuts when I told them you posted that and they shared it on the stream lol if you want to see it click the link and just fast forward to 3:52:00 of the stream.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1016894677

:3:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Captain Invictus posted:

TF Season 3 also showed the Netherlands(maybe) as a war torn country where even old ladies fired guns at each other.
I also recall North Ireland not coming off well in Captain Planet and the Planeteers

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What’s this about a particularly erect amphibian?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Vagabundo posted:

What’s this about a particularly erect amphibian?

came for the herpes, stayed for the herpetology

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also at some point in the 90s congress realized how hosed cartoons were and basicaly made some super bipartisan thing to keep away from "every cartoon is an ad" thing.

The trick was of course most of the good 90's cartoons also had toys (Gargoyles, Batman, etc) they were just... also good.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Cartoons that are also ads can be pretty good! The entirety of the Gundam franchise is an ad for gunpla and they’ve made some real good series of television

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Live-action toy ads can rule too. Kamen Rider OOO and Build are all-time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

Cartoons that are also ads can be pretty good! The entirety of the Gundam franchise is an ad for gunpla and they’ve made some real good series of television
Didn't the show come first and gunpla come later on?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

To split hairs there's a difference between shows conceived to market a toyline and shows that include marketable elements in exchange for sponorship and/or investment (though both can produce good shows).

Terrible Opinions posted:

Didn't the show come first and gunpla come later on?

Yeah, though gundam did have toys from the start, but they were a weird mishmash of infamously low quality stuff. Bandai in particular only came on as a sponsor a bit later, with gunpla starting in 1980.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

thetoughestbean posted:

Meanwhile Yu-Gi-Oh is a show that seems to absolutely despise being an Add at times, but they are forced to be one more and more.
The worst example being the 5th series where they literally make the main villain change all of his cards to promote a recent release.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Motto posted:

To split hairs there's a difference between shows conceived to market a toyline and shows that include marketable elements in exchange for sponorship and/or investment (though both can produce good shows).

Cowboy Bebop was supposed to be one of those, Bandai's toy division wanted to sell a bunch of spaceship models and instead Watanabe gave them Spike Spiegel, who is a cool dude but notably not a spaceship. That actually pulled funding and another division had to step in.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Motto posted:

Yeah, though gundam did have toys from the start, but they were a weird mishmash of infamously low quality stuff. Bandai in particular only came on as a sponsor a bit later, with gunpla starting in 1980.

The (RX-78-2) Gundam's colour scheme is supposedly a compromise to make it more toyetic, with them smuggling the less flashy, equally iconic Zaku that they were attached to by it being a grunt unit. The Gundam's signature pristine white with bright blue, red and yellow is sometimes explained in-universe as being "parade" colours meant more for display, but they are replicated throughout the franchise, which can probably be shrugged off as invoking the legendary reputation of the original.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DeafNote posted:

Meanwhile Yu-Gi-Oh is a show that seems to absolutely despise being an Add at times, but they are forced to be one more and more.
The worst example being the 5th series where they literally make the main villain change all of his cards to promote a recent release.

tbf that came off as pretty funny. He basically goes "you're so terrible I'm going to beat you with a structure deck", opens the thing right in front of her then then absolutely clowns on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BizarroAzrael posted:

The (RX-78-2) Gundam's colour scheme is supposedly a compromise to make it more toyetic, with them smuggling the less flashy, equally iconic Zaku that they were attached to by it being a grunt unit. The Gundam's signature pristine white with bright blue, red and yellow is sometimes explained in-universe as being "parade" colours meant more for display, but they are replicated throughout the franchise, which can probably be shrugged off as invoking the legendary reputation of the original.

Even then, later suits that keep the tri color scheme do tone it down. The Mk II from Zeta is a lot more muted with off-white, navy blue and darker crimson to imitate a more military style. I may be wrong on this but I don't think any of the tomino shows until Victory used the exact same color scheme as the original. And the Victory Gundam was specifically an in-universe effort to invoke the hope and fear the original RX-78-2 brought.