Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I keep waiting for Bibi to be utterly defeated and I keep getting disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that just hasn't worked out well lately

neither has holding elections but the forms must be followed, presumably

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
maybe they'll just keep holding elections until he's convicted

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

VideoGameVet posted:

:smith::hf::sigh:
Ever since I was first eligible to vote, and I am 40 this week.

E: Although technically he had been pushed out of Likud leadership from 1999-2005 those unscrupulous assholes still kept that rat around and he only gotten more corrupt.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 5, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

VideoGameVet posted:

The problem is if bibi is defeated the ultra orthodox israelis will take over.

(If im wrong here please correct me)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The ultra orthodox aren't popular outside their small sphere of influence, but there's a chance for the government to go HARD right. We should all be worried about that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

By popular demand posted:

The ultra orthodox aren't popular outside their small sphere of influence, but there's a chance for the government to go HARD right. We should all be worried about that.

That's what i was trying to get at. I saw videos of a nationalist rally that looked to have ill intent. I wonder if this Netanyahu thing goes sideways and a hard right swing is had, would we see actual pogroms?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Fortunately the extreme right isn't buddies with the police and armed forces as they are in the US so there still hope.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Wait, you mean that all these years we actually saw the tame/moderate version??

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dante80 posted:

An overtly Kahanist government would be a wild, wild ride.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
:( israel i want to love you

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Darth Walrus posted:

An overtly Kahanist government would be a wild, wild ride.

I'm of the opinion that Israel is now closer to that then ever, a new intifada might push this through if it's violent enough to economically destabilise the middle classes.
An actual war could too, after the initial wave of patriotic support for the government passes.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

It's such a bummer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dante80 posted:

yes. Bibi's faction is right wing but in the fairly normal violent imperialist right wing where 90% of it is just maintaining the brutal status quo and the occasional performative act of cruelty to remind people who's in charge, with a fair amount of socially liberal policies for the dominant faction to enjoy to keep things from getting too spicy at home.

The Khanist faction and others like them would be a 100% theocracy for all sides. Like, Khanists literally believe Israel as a concept isn't even enough, and they need to expand out into Jordan and poo poo just to keep the filthy non-Jewish Arabs from having ANY influence at all culturally let alone civically.

Like said it's MOSTLY a non-issue because even in Israel the ultra ultra orthodox groups like them are seen as useful idiots at best by most people but yea there absolutely is a world where a much more hardline right wing/anti-non-Jew government forms and makes Bibi look like a loving multiculturalist dove.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqtYy-l4O74

own the libs --> become the libs (?)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

coincidentally I just subscribed for Haaretz, which made the ad look a bit like it was targeting me personally.
:what:

Anyway he should really go all in on that head-looks-like-a-penis thing, maybe switch to cream colour skullcaps.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Israeli institutions constantly back settlers up all the time, there are soldiers who accompany settler vandals and then protect them when palestinians or activists try to intervene, not to mention all the illegal cause all settlements are illegal settlements connected to the Israeli power, water and road grid.

Really I feel like the Israeli tendency to once in a while punish some monsterous crime (such as the Dawabsha and Abu Khdeir murders, or Elor Azaria acting as executioner while wearing an IDF uniform) is not indicative how much actual support the settler movement receives from 'mainstream israel'.

Now would things be even more extreme with Ben Gvir or some other kahanist in charge? probably, but that's alt-history talk, the crawling annexation enterprise has been going strong for many decades now.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 5, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently some poo poo went down at Al Aqsa Mosque today

https://twitter.com/falasteen47/status/1390780644649807876?s=20

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
abolish Israel

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Well gently caress.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

DarkCrawler posted:

All Israeli citizens don't have the same rights though. "Citizen" in Israel is an inferior status to "national", a class reserved only for Jews. Israel is an apartheid state with or without the territories (which, due to hundreds of thousands of citizen-nationals residing there can't really be considered "foreign" anyway).

Is this true?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Amy clear evidence what prompted these unusually provocative attacks from the Israelis? Or just the usual low-key ethnic cleansing taking a random uptick?

I take all predictions of "the Third Intifada kicks off now!" with a huge grain of salt, though, as the same has been said a dozen-odd times during other periods of escalation since 2005. Between the segregation and expansion of the anti-Palestinian security state, to say nothing of Abbas being bought off, it's hard to imagine anything kicking off in any scenario less than Israel dropping the facade and taking even more aggressive measures.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

It’s the holiest day of Ramadan, which makes breaking into a mosque extra lovely

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently some poo poo went down at Al Aqsa Mosque today

https://twitter.com/falasteen47/status/1390780644649807876?s=20

I don't see any English-language claims of an "official" Third Intifada being declared, outside of this tweet. American media sucks on Palestinian issues, but be cautious of taking some random dude on Twitter at his word too.

Here's the AP's info on that stuff, along with some backstory for the current tensions and a fair bit of dumb obvious scaremongering about Iran and Hamas:
https://apnews.com/article/israel-middle-east-west-bank-shootings-d5c6b1ed602844be69318bd1d1a334cf

quote:

JERUSALEM (AP) — Palestinian worshippers clashed with Israeli police late Friday at the Al-Aqsa mosque compound, a major holy site sacred to Muslims and Jews, in an escalation of weeks of violence in Jerusalem that has reverberated across the region.

The Palestinian Red Crescent emergency service said 136 people were wounded in clashes with police there and elsewhere in Jerusalem, including 83 who were hospitalized. It says most were wounded in the face and eyes by rubber-coated bullets and shrapnel from stun grenades. Israel said six police officers were wounded.

Earlier Friday, Israeli troops shot and killed two Palestinians and wounded a third after the men opened fire on a base belonging to Israel’s paramilitary Border Police force in the occupied West Bank, the latest in a series of deadly confrontations in recent weeks that has coincided with the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. More unrest appears likely next week.

Tensions have soared in recent weeks in east Jerusalem, which is claimed by both Israel and the Palestinians. At the beginning of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, Israel blocked off a popular gathering spot where Palestinians traditionally socialize at the end of their daylong fast. The move set off two weeks of clashes before Israel lifted the restrictions.

But in recent days, clashes have resumed due to Israel’s threatened eviction of dozens of Palestinians in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in east Jerusalem, who have been embroiled in a long legal battle with Israeli settlers trying to acquire property in the neighborhood.

The United States said it was “deeply concerned” about the heightened tensions and called on all sides to work to de-escalate them. It also expressed concern about the threatened evictions.

“It’s critical to avoid unilateral steps that would exacerbate tensions or take us further away from peace. And that would include evictions, settlement activity, and home demolitions,” U.S. State Department spokeswoman Jalina Porter told reporters in Washington.

The Al-Aqsa mosque compound is the third holiest site in Islam. The site is also the holiest site for Jews, who refer to it as the Temple Mount and revere it as the spot where the biblical Temples stood. It has long been a flashpoint for Israeli-Palestinian violence and was the epicenter of the 2000 Palestinian intifada, or uprising.

Israeli police deployed in large numbers as Muslim worshippers were holding evening prayers at the site. It was unclear what sparked the violence, but videos circulating online showed worshippers throwing chairs, shoes and rocks at police, who fired stun grenades and rubber-coated bullets to disperse them. Smaller clashes broke out elsewhere in Jerusalem.

The Israeli police said protesters hurled stones, fireworks and other objects at them, wounding six officers who required medical treatment. “We will respond with a heavy hand to all violent disturbances, riots and attacks on our forces,” it said in a statement.

Earlier, some 70,000 worshippers had attended the final Friday prayers of Ramadan at Al-Aqsa, the Islamic endowment that oversees the site said. Thousands protested afterwards, waving the green flags of the Islamic militant group Hamas and chanting pro-Hamas slogans.

Neighboring Jordan, which serves as the custodian of Jerusalem’s Muslim holy sites, had earlier warned Israel against further “provocative” steps, while Israel’s archenemy Iran encouraged the violence.

In the attack on Friday morning, Israeli police said three attackers fired on the base near the northern West Bank town of Jenin. The Border Police and an Israeli soldier returned fire, killing two of the men and wounding the third, who was evacuated to a hospital.

Israelis and Palestinians are bracing for more violence in the coming days.

Sunday night is “Laylat al-Qadr” or the “Night of Destiny,” the most sacred in the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Worshippers will gather for intense nighttime prayers at the Al-Aqsa mosque compound in Jerusalem’s Old City.

Sunday night is also the start of Jerusalem Day, a national holiday in which Israel celebrates its annexation of east Jerusalem and religious nationalists hold parades and other celebrations in the city. On Monday, an Israeli court is expected to issue a verdict on the evictions.

Iran was meanwhile marking its own Quds, or Jerusalem, Day on Friday. The national holiday typically features anti-Israel protests and fiery speeches by Iranian leaders predicting Israel’s demise.

“The downward and declining movement of the Zionist regime has begun and will not stop,” Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said in a televised address. He called for continuing armed “resistance” in the Palestinian territories and urged Muslim nations support it.

This year, Ramadan has coincided with an uptick in Israeli-Palestinian violence focused on Jerusalem.

On Thursday, Israeli forces arrested a Palestinian suspected of carrying out a drive-by shooting earlier this week in the West Bank that killed an Israeli and wounded two others. The day before, Israeli troops shot and killed a 16-year-old Palestinian near the West Bank city of Nablus. The military said several Palestinians had thrown firebombs toward soldiers.

Israel captured east Jerusalem, along with the West Bank and Gaza — territories the Palestinians want for their future state — in the 1967 Mideast war. Israel annexed east Jerusalem in a move not recognized internationally and views the entire city as its capital.

The Palestinians view east Jerusalem — which includes major holy sites for Jews, Christians and Muslims — as their capital, and its fate is one of the most sensitive issues in the conflict. In a call to Palestine TV, President Mahmoud Abbas praised the “courageous stand” of the protesters and said Israel bore full responsibility for the violence.

Israel’s Foreign Ministry had earlier accused the Palestinians of seizing on the threatened evictions, which it described as a “real-estate dispute between private parties,” in order to incite violence.

“The (Palestinian Authority) and Palestinian terror groups will bear full responsibility for the violence emanating from their actions. The Israel police will ensure public order is maintained,” it tweeted earlier in the day.

Neighboring Jordan, which made peace with Israel in 1994 and is the custodian of Al-Aqsa, said “Israel’s continuation of its illegal practices and provocative steps” in the city is a “dangerous game.”

“Building and expanding settlements, confiscating lands, demolishing homes and deporting Palestinians from their homes are illegal practices that perpetuate the occupation and undermine the chances of achieving a just and comprehensive peace, which is a regional and international necessity,” Jordan’s Foreign Minister Ayman al-Safadi tweeted.

The Islamic militant group Hamas, which rules the Gaza Strip and opposes Israel’s existence, has egged on the violence, and Palestinian militants in Gaza have fired rockets in support of the protesters.

Earlier this week, the shadowy commander of Hamas’ armed wing, Mohammed Deif, released his first public statement in seven years, in which he warned Israel it would pay a “heavy price” if it evicts Palestinians from their homes.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It's pretty much a perfect storm, between the Sheik Jarrah protests and decisions coming down in the next few days, Ramadan almost ending, which means everybody is on edge from a combination of fasting during the day and not smoking, and it almost being Jerusalem Day. Put that on top of Itamar Ben-Gvir being up to his nonsense and the fact that a lot of the Lag BaOmer victims were from Jerusalem and the Haredim there are pissed at the government and police for the poor safety conditions at Mt. Maron that helped contribute to the catastrophe, Jerusalem isn't the calmest place right now.

Oh, also, Abbas just cancelled the 2021 PNA legislative elections, officially because East Jerusalem and the Golan aren't participating, but probably in reality because Hamas looks like they're going to do really well, so now Hamas is pissed and violence has just escalated in the West Bank, which isn't helping the entire situation either, not to mention the fact that Israel still doesn't have a new government.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 8, 2021

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Oh poo poo am I going to right about a hard right takeover? Please God no.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

PawParole posted:

Is this true?

No

Oh poo poo am I going to right about a hard right takeover? Please God no.

Yes 😕

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PawParole posted:

Is this true?

https://en.idi.org.il/articles/6516

Yes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DarkCrawler posted:

All Israeli citizens don't have the same rights though. "Citizen" in Israel is an inferior status to "national", a class reserved only for Jews.
I'm not seeing that in the link you've provided.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Xander77 posted:

There's some behind the scenes stuff that not everyone is aware of where your nationality does actually matter (as opposed to your citizenship) for how much the states wants to give you poo poo.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Xander77 posted:

Whoops wrong link

https://uscpr.org/citizenshipmyth/

Specific things:

https://www.adalah.org/en/content/view/7771

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20190518-discrimination-division-and-demolitions-life-as-a-palestinian-citizen-of-israel/amp/

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Miftan posted:

There's some behind the scenes stuff that not everyone is aware of where your nationality does actually matter (as opposed to your citizenship) for how much the states wants to give you poo poo.
Explain please?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The plague isn't yet over and the ministry of health declared massive cutbacks in funding, in response the medical caregivers are on a 'Warning strike' tomorrow.

:anarchists: We all knew this bullshit is coming and we should pay attention.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Xander77 posted:

Explain please?

Can't, sorry.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 9, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://www.vox.com/world/2018/7/31/17623978/israel-jewish-nation-state-law-bill-explained-apartheid-netanyahu-democracy

https://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Read-the-full-Jewish-Nation-State-Law-562923

There's also this so I don't think the fact that citizen-nationals (either as a collective or individuals) have superior rights to mere citizens is much of a secret. That status is reserved for a single ethnoreligious group.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
That's really a lot of words to say "Palestinians are discriminated against regardless of whether or not they're citizens". You're looking into a fundamentally Jewish-supremacist regime and seeing some sort of elaborate tiered system, when it's really nothing more but allowing some non-Jews citizenship while still discriminating against them.

It's true that Israel doesn't recognize a single "Israeli" nationality, but that's more of a signaling thing: it's a rejection of shared identity between different ethnic groups. It's an indication that the Israeli state prioritizes existing ethnic identities and does not intend to bring them together under a single "Israeli" umbrella. That isn't automatically a bad thing, since many modern national identities were forged somewhat forcibly by states pushing to integrate and assimilate a number of ethnicities into a single overall culture even if it meant the loss of minority identities and cultures. But in the context of Israel's official stance as a "Jewish nation", it's pretty clearly meant to reinforce the concept of Jewish supremacy and make clear that the state has no intention of allowing a melting pot shared culture to form.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This must be a targeted action by Bibi. He cant form a majority so spark an intifada and the majority will come to you. Every time he has an election coming up there's a big military action uptick. The Israeli army must believe they are ready to fight Hamas toe to toe if they're going to allow something like firing into a mosque like this which they know full well will trigger a response.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/laithmarouf/status/1391648372898009091?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Main Paineframe posted:

That's really a lot of words to say "Palestinians are discriminated against regardless of whether or not they're citizens". You're looking into a fundamentally Jewish-supremacist regime and seeing some sort of elaborate tiered system, when it's really nothing more but allowing some non-Jews citizenship while still discriminating against them.

It's true that Israel doesn't recognize a single "Israeli" nationality, but that's more of a signaling thing: it's a rejection of shared identity between different ethnic groups. It's an indication that the Israeli state prioritizes existing ethnic identities and does not intend to bring them together under a single "Israeli" umbrella. That isn't automatically a bad thing, since many modern national identities were forged somewhat forcibly by states pushing to integrate and assimilate a number of ethnicities into a single overall culture even if it meant the loss of minority identities and cultures. But in the context of Israel's official stance as a "Jewish nation", it's pretty clearly meant to reinforce the concept of Jewish supremacy and make clear that the state has no intention of allowing a melting pot shared culture to form.

Yeah, except that there are legal rights Jews have over everyone else. It is a very uncomplicated tiered system hierarchy, but one nonetheless.