Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm assuming that both of you mean Portland by PIR in which case I completely agree.
Yes

KillHour posted:

I meant Pittsburgh.
Sorry I had no idea there was another PIR in Pittsburgh :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

got off on a technicality posted:

Yes

Sorry I had no idea there was another PIR in Pittsburgh :v:

The whole "which PIR" is burned into my memory by a childhood of the one mile oval in Phoenix formerly known as Phoenix International Raceway.

I've only visited Portland to watch an Indycar race there but it looks like it'd be fantastic in just about any class of car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Most people call Pittsburgh Pitt Race to avoid the confusion. It's a really sick track.

https://youtu.be/5P7cM9HstiY

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

[*]The engine / transmission combo can hang with almost anything, and will happily drag race a GT350 down the front straight. There was another guy with a brand new GT500 who cracked 150mph+ (no chicane); the TT was close, topping out at 147mph. It feels rock solid at 147mph
Modern cars are loving insane

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I went to an autocross event yesterday where they charged about a hundred bucks, but there was no course work required and we got literally dozens of runs. Is this common? It makes way more sense to me than paying $30 but having to commit to being there all day, work the course, and only getting a couple of runs.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Steely Dad posted:

I went to an autocross event yesterday where they charged about a hundred bucks, but there was no course work required and we got literally dozens of runs. Is this common? It makes way more sense to me than paying $30 but having to commit to being there all day, work the course, and only getting a couple of runs.

I haven't see it but I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. I don't do my local SCCA because they allow 160 cars and it's maybe 4 minutes of fun for all day.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Steely Dad posted:

They do that at a local kart track here but it's like $60 or so. Getting to get a bunch of runs in and not work is definitely very cool.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

honda whisperer posted:

I haven't see it but I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. I don't do my local SCCA because they allow 160 cars and it's maybe 4 minutes of fun for all day.

Same, I gave up on caring about autocrossing my poo poo years ago because the wheel time vs total time commitment is absolutely awful.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

[*]The brakes are the weakest link. I would get fade ~10 minutes in despite being gentle (braking early, lots of coasting, etc). Made me miss my Cayman's amazing brakes. I shouldn't have to upgrade to carbon ceramics just to get through a 20m DE session :mad:

Shouldn't need CCs. Pads and fluid are really important on heavy high HP cars.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

SlapActionJackson posted:

Shouldn't need CCs. Pads and fluid are really important on heavy high HP cars.

To your point I may have to flush the brake fluid. I didn't even think to do that because the car was literally built in November 2020, but maybe there's a little bit of air in the system or the OEM fluid isn't sufficiently high temp

Also does anyone have recommendations for a sort of light duty track pad? I used to run Pagid Blues on my Cayman (before progressing to Orange, which would squeal like a dump truck) but my knowledge is literally 10 years out of date now

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

or the OEM fluid isn't sufficiently high temp

Google suggests Audi's OEM fluid has wet/dry boiling points of 339/509 F, which is meh by hi-po brake fluid standards. Compare to ATE Typ200 @ 388/536 or Motul 600 @ 399/594, nevermind 660 or SRF .

Also does anyone have recommendations for a sort of light duty track pad? I used to run Pagid Blues on my Cayman (before progressing to Orange, which would squeal like a dump truck) but my knowledge is literally 10 years out of date now

IMO, ain't no such thing for a car that's seeing a buck fifty at the end of the straight. I like Pagid RSL19 "Yellow", but that is definitely not a pad you want to run all the time if you object to sounding like a dump truck. So you're better off swapping the pads for track weekends.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My car sticks out like a sore thumb on the road anyway so it's not like the huge SQUEEEEEEE noise it makes when coming to a stop makes much of a difference. Getting some proper heat through the brakes stops it but you never get that from road driving.

I really need to pull my finger out and book a TD soon

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This is a new one for me, my friend got taken out during a SM race over the weekend and ended up with a spiral fracture :wtf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMnMfYUWV00&t=550s

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Yikes. It really didn’t look that bad in the video. That’s a little scary. Also what was that GT-R doing in the middle of a spec Miata race? Is the track open to non-participants during those?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Low entry over the weekend so race group was run combined. SM + Small Bore (ST4-6) + Big Bore (STU-3).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Ouch. Glad he's alright. I expected him to end up in the tire wall from the fracture pic, but I guess it was just a bad bump?

Looking at it again it looks like he kinda squeezed the white car off, think maybe he was too caught up with that super fast Nissan passing and missed that the white car was so close to his quarter panel?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Looks like he pit maneuvered himself with the white car. Crazy he got a fracture out of that, looked super mild.

BlackMK4 posted:

Low entry over the weekend so race group was run combined. SM + Small Bore (ST4-6) + Big Bore (STU-3).
Some of the combinations that are run by some of these groups are :stonk:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
We will see what the group leader decides, the owner of the white car (wasn't driving) called to apologize :v:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Some of the combinations that are run by some of these groups are :stonk:

Yeah, we've had 15 second lap spreads in small bore TT at this track before and it can get ridiculous. I think the GTR had roughly a 8-10 second spread over the pointy end SM.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, we've had 15 second lap spreads in small bore TT at this track before and it can get ridiculous. I think the GTR had roughly a 8-10 second spread over the pointy end SM.

Jeeze. And here I feel intimidated driving with Corvettes in my M3.

Getting the full Le Mans multi-class experience there.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
It's kinda not so fun when almost half the trackday turns up with full on race transporters, the day I crashed on was full of ex-Touring cars, Ferrari challenge, radicals etc and it wasn't very fun constantly having eyes on your mirrors. Part of the problem is that theres been a lack of actual race test days so some teams just sign up for a trackday and then pinky swear they won't do timing except they just ignore it and sit there with transponders and data logging.

I did a day that included an entire grid of Caterham Academy cars because the series final was on the weekend after.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Was the fracture from his arm being jerked by the steering wheel?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Was the fracture from his arm being jerked by the steering wheel?

This has to be it, I can't imagine it happening any other way.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, when the wheel came around it grabbed his thumb and sucked it down to his stomach. Just bad timing since he was holding the wheel with one hand getting ready to go to 4th.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, when the wheel came around it grabbed his thumb and sucked it down to his stomach. Just bad timing since he was holding the wheel with one hand getting ready to go to 4th.

Ah man. That sucks. I'm wincing thinking about it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

BlackMK4 posted:

We will see what the group leader decides, the owner of the white car (wasn't driving) called to apologize :v:

Per the rule book if the white car didn't have 2 in the dirt he's at fault.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Took my 1LE out for a spin at waterford hills yesterday. Private trackday rental my buddy put together. I worked from the base track mode to sport 1, then sport 2 by end of day. I was hoping to get it to all nannies off mode in my last session but the day got cut short by another 1LE yeeting into the gravel at the end of the main straight. He is fine, car seems fine other than the extra 50lbs of gravel in its undertrays. Phenomenal weather, great vibes all round. I didnt time many laps but the best of my timed was apparently around a 1:17.25, which is around 3 seconds faster than the best I ever ran in my (stock power) BRZ.

The camaro loving rules man. It was very appealing having a reliable daily that is out of box a stellar HPDE car. I just showed up half an hour before the track was hot, hopped in and had fun. I am still adjusting to this much power, Ive never driven a car this fast on track so the lower speed corner exits were very...fun. The car has a lot of rotation in it, but the nannies helped bail me out a couple times.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rentals are pretty nice, no car prep to worry about or anything else. A friend runs SRG/Lindell Motorsports renting mostly SPec Racer Fords, Dads rented from his a few times and I'll probably try it later this year. When Dad did it he brought their RV and would hang out there between races then walk over, jump in the car and go.

1LE looks like it would be a lot of fun to beat on for a day.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Rentals are pretty nice, no car prep to worry about or anything else. A friend runs SRG/Lindell Motorsports renting mostly SPec Racer Fords, Dads rented from his a few times and I'll probably try it later this year. When Dad did it he brought their RV and would hang out there between races then walk over, jump in the car and go.

1LE looks like it would be a lot of fun to beat on for a day.

To clarify, the track was rented, not my car. Car belongs to me!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ran a halfday "test and tune" at Gingerman from 5-9pm yesterday. Drove there and back in the same day too, 3 hours each way. Totally worth it, gingerman is the best.

Apologies for the high camera position, the GoPro was mounted too high on my helmet to see out of the front slit in my ww2 tank SS 1LE. I was not very organized for recording, but next time I will have my camera metered better and bring the SD card for my built in recorder.

Session 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWH_udQuPIo

Session2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uwl0ZXxSGQ

Bonus yeet, found the steering lock :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHpY_1aHHCk

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thing is a missile :D

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Thing is a missile :D

Yeah it really is. I don't have much time at gingerman and wasn't able to get many clean laps yesterday, but I was able to manage a 1:41.98. I think a 1:40.xx is in the cards with more seat time. Car is so ridiculously good out of box.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Why is it common for Miatas to run a less stiff rear sway in autox ? I know sometimes it’s for class, but I see it even in STR and beyond

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe they're trying to decrease oversteer?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
droop travel

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPiQ-5jneD0/

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Virgil Vox posted:

Why is it common for Miatas to run a less stiff rear sway in autox ? I know sometimes it’s for class, but I see it even in STR and beyond

I mean almost everything RWD runs a less stiff bar in the rear than front. The end that's producing less roll stiffness has more grip to use for other stuff.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phone posted:

droop travel

this. to prevent lifting rear wheels

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Phone posted:

droop travel

Okay, so allowing a slower transfer of weight, to keep weight (traction?) on the inside rear.

If there’s too little weight on the inside rear, when it re-gains traction does it sorta snap oversteer, like a motorcycle high-side?

another question, for an entry level track day can you run coolant with antifreeze or do you need only water and wetter water or whatever additive?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
No, but you can blow diffs up. I did it to my S2000 with stock power at WHP East.

Antifreeze is fine, NASA AZ doesn't require it until W2W and PAS doesn't care about anything.

e:

honda whisperer posted:

I've never seen a track day / hpde require you to ditch coolant.

I'm guessing Virgil is coming over from motorcycles, our local org doesn't allow most coolants (unless something has changed in the last 5yr). :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Virgil Vox posted:

Okay, so allowing a slower transfer of weight, to keep weight (traction?) on the inside rear.

If there’s too little weight on the inside rear, when it re-gains traction does it sorta snap oversteer, like a motorcycle high-side?

another question, for an entry level track day can you run coolant with antifreeze or do you need only water and wetter water or whatever additive?

So the swaybar just keeps increasing spring rate the greater the difference in height is side to side. It's effects don't linger when changing direction.

If it's really stiff it can actually pick the inside tire up off the ground. See Hondas road racing.

The inside rear touching back down won't cause something like a highside.

I've never seen a track day / hpde require you to ditch coolant.

Are you getting ready for a first track day?