Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

christmas boots posted:

I do think it's funny how the first game is just a standard high school romance VN and then the second one adds alternate dimensions, mechas, and ~~suffering~~.

That's the kind of escalation I'd like to see in franchises more often tbh

Big dumb escalation outside of the usual powerlevel kind is always kinda entertaining. But I'm struggling to think of a lot of examples where things just jump entire genres. I never watched/read any Negima stuff but apparently that went off the rails in a few ways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The gameboy thing makes sense because the world's been in a state of total war since the 70s so consumer electronics simply stopped being developed.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

vndb has a tag for that apparently https://vndb.org/g691

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lostconfused posted:

Original anime is pretty much dead.

there's fewer original series vs. adaptions than I'd like, but that's just how anime has always been. adaptations are less risky.

there's actually been a lot of major original series the past two seasons, like more than usual. good poo poo

an actual dog has issued a correction as of 19:20 on May 6, 2021

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

there are those weird reports that kadokawa wants to do 40 adaptations a year tho that's real bummer poo poo. anime industry is saturated as is

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

And a TV tropes page https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GenreShift

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

an actual dog posted:

there are those weird reports that kadokawa wants to do 40 adaptations a year tho that's real bummer poo poo. anime industry is saturated as is

wait seriously? drat that's kinda depressing, feels like outside of some gundam stuff originals are all i watch

odd taxi has been an original i've been looking at to kinda be the one show i watch this year, but i've been waiting for it to finish to just shotgun through it since i'm bad at keeping up with running stuff.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

christmas boots posted:

I do think it's funny how the first game is just a standard high school romance VN and then the second one adds alternate dimensions, mechas, and ~~suffering~~.

That's the kind of escalation I'd like to see in franchises more often tbh

That was entirely intentional. The first game released was the High School Romcom and once you finished that it unlocked the insane alien mecha story.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Well yes, the appeal of escapism in itself makes sense, but that isekai dissolves any pretense of actual narrative is the odd part.

Heck a lot of isekai doesn't even bother giving supporting characters names and is upfront about being incredibly generic.

Dungeon Fantasy + High Concept (usually described within those funky titles we've been discussing).

I'm kind of reminded of the old TVTropes mock threads and the TVT posters who'd at the baseline describe their fiction and OCs using the tropes.

It seems to me that part of the appeal of isekai is dropping any pretense of telling a story with themes besides wish fulfillment

It's not enough to project yourself onto a generic protagonist, the protagonist has to have a backstory nearly identical to your own (alienated young man from the "real" world) so that they are just as decontextualized from the fantasy setting as you are

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
why did they make the skeleton guy in Overlord lose all his emotions and personality upon being transferred into the other world. That was a baffling decision. just make it about a tough skeleton guy in a fantasy world at that point.

Or actually just don't make it at all, who gives a poo poo about a protagonist that can't feel feelings

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 21:05 on May 6, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just make an isekai with Sir Daniel Fortesque as the protagonist.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Have we covered https://myanimelist.net/anime/40752/Bishounen_Tanteidan airing this season?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

why did they make the skeleton guy in Overlord lose all his emotions and personality upon being transferred into the other world. That was a baffling decision. just make it about a tough skeleton guy in a fantasy world at that point.

Or actually just don't make it at all, who gives a poo poo about a protagonist that can't feel feelings

i wanted overlord to be about a mostly decent guy stuck in the role of an evil skeleton. instead he just went evil with no hesitation. despite the occasional lighthearted comedy bit, it is about monsters being monsters and i'm just not into that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smythe posted:

loox dumb soz

it's like DBZ but instead of power levels it's bank accounts, and you use money to attack people, and if the defeated person runs out of money you can erase them from existance.

the hot anime waifus are supposedly the digital representation of the money somehow.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wanted overlord to be about a mostly decent guy stuck in the role of an evil skeleton. instead he just went evil with no hesitation. despite the occasional lighthearted comedy bit, it is about monsters being monsters and i'm just not into that.

I was told that later the monsters build a social welfare state for the conquered people upon the backs of mindless undead labor.

In this regard it is one of the less objectional isekai

Tangentially fans of Redo of the Healer should be locked up for the good of society

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Lostconfused posted:

Except it doesn't and the gamer hero does end up saving the day because they play video games.

edit: Also Isekai isn't a new genre or setting. All of those things have been done before for a very long time. It's just a very specific arrangement of those tropes that is being reproduced today in such quantity that it has become a genre unto it self.

MuvLuv still shits on the formula. The protagonist’s abilities give him a leg up in the first alien timeline, but he doesn’t actually have the mental fortitude or willpower to really do anything with it. It’s not until Alternative that he’s actually able to fight and by that point he’s both so mentally broken and so physically developed that it doesn’t really even matter anyway

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Far too many animes believe that people born of the nobility are intelligent and skilled people instead of the braindead failchildren they are in reality

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I started watching Sport Climbing Girls. It's pretty good.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Far too many animes believe that people born of the nobility are intelligent and skilled people instead of the braindead failchildren they are in reality

is this a corollary to the prevalence of incest in hentai ?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Not good old fashion beserk though!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Hate to say it bro

that's every loving country

That's this loving country

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's only really tangential to isekai but I've been playing some of the muv luv games lately and a certain subplot introducing someone who's been living in a world dedicated to war for 50 years with way higher technology to a game boy and ending up with them getting addicted is kinda darkly funny.

Though tbh muv luv is kinda a weirdly pointed tearing down of the normal gamer hero stuff despite as far as i'm aware coming out well before the huge boom of 'person good at video games uses those skills to save the world'.

Yeah I read those and they were overall pretty good, but also a total fluke. Everything they put out after Alternative was somewhere between deeply mediocre and terrible. And even Alternative only really works because it follows after the mildly amusing romcom. Also they just copied the plot of Armor.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

https://twitter.com/AndreOcasio/status/1390719718122827785?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I started watching Sport Climbing Girls. It's pretty good.

drat this looks horny as all hell

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i say swears online posted:

[googling] “well maybe it’s not... ah.”

(probably nsfw unless you work somewhere cool)
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca8...wh-fullview.png

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
So what's everyone's watch list this season?

I'm watching Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song, Odd Taxi, and Zombieland Saga R. Tried to watch 86 but kind of bounced off it after the first three episodes.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I am trying to SSSS Dynazenon, but it's really boring outside of the well animated giant robots.

Singular Point so far seems to be the most interesting anime for me this season. But it's mostly about snappy dialog between characters and "mystery" so it's like one of those technobable nerd bait shows. poo poo that you would expect from like JJ Abrams tv shows, but with a lot more respect for the source material.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

tokin opposition posted:

I'm watching Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song, Odd Taxi, and Zombieland Saga R. Tried to watch 86 but kind of bounced off it after the first three episodes.

I’m watching all those along with To Your Eternity, Shadows House, and Mars Red. Also Pretty Boy Detective Club, which I don’t yet really know how I feel about. It’s kind of like an alternative take on Ouran Host Club

Vivy and Zombieland are probably my top two this season. So drat good

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
I know Supercub is a just a long form advertisement for the bike, but it's so chill and the main character is adorable.

Other than that SSSS Dynazenon is fun but feels a bit slower than Gridman was.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

i say swears online posted:

It reminds me of Harukana Receive, where it's about very fit chicks with big tits in skimpy clothes but it's not really directed or written especially horny. They don't end up in sexy situations and there aren't lingering shots of bouncing boobs or anything. They just do a sport.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zeta Gundam has honestly one of my favorite first episodes of an anime ever. Our protagonist, in the space of 25 minutes of air time

1. Punches a military officer in the face
2. Gets arrested.
3. Is allowed to leave, but immediately punches a different military officer.
4. Gets away because a giant robot crashed into the building.
5. Steals the giant robot for the express purpose of petty revenge.

Dr Pepper has issued a correction as of 21:10 on May 9, 2021

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I like that Yaoyorozu is constantly coded as a rich kid and unintentionally snobby while Kendo, who is infinitely cooler, is down to earth and just as clever and more practical

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

SSSS.Dynazenon, ZSL s2, Megalobox s2, Fruits Basket s3, MHA s5 and Back Arrow. I'll probably get around to Vivy after it's completed.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

im only two eps into 86 but the whole fascist setup seems kinda forced, like in the span of 9 years this group of white haired people kicked out every other ethnic group outside their walled off city and deemed everyone non-human but the lore exposition made it seem like nothing else came before, just that when the other nation invaded everyone became fascist? unless this is still just setup for some other dystopian twist

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/dubudavid/status/1391548337329885187?s=19

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I had a video on YouTube today recommended to me called the crimes of modem localization, or something like that that was 40 minutes long and I couldn't say gently caress that hard enough

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

net work error posted:

I Have To Work In A Maid Cafe To Pay Off Medical Debt Even Though I Have Obamacare?!

Maybe My Life Isn't Over Because I Don't Have A Wife And Kids At The Ripe Old Age Of 19?!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
High School Is Such A Serious Thing, These Problems Matter!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

KomradeX posted:

I had a video on YouTube today recommended to me called the crimes of modem localization, or something like that that was 40 minutes long and I couldn't say gently caress that hard enough

drat, did one of the translations age up one of the love interests to 18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

drat, did one of the translations age up one of the love interests to 18

I don't know cause gun to my head you told me watch that video I'd tell you pull the trigger