Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

cheetah7071 posted:

Gaia resisting Lohgrif does make me wonder how often that happens though. Like Elidibus wakes up Igeyorhm's latest sundered soul and he gets told to gently caress off and he just has to try again with the next one

From what we can tell they haven't actually had to awaken sundered souls all that much. Remember that they were legit surprised when we killed Nabriales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

cheetah7071 posted:

Gaia resisting Lohgrif does make me wonder how often that happens though. Like Elidibus wakes up Igeyorhm's latest sundered soul and he gets told to gently caress off and he just has to try again with the next one

Normally they just do it, instead of tormenting them for years until they eventually take control so I imagine it just hasn't come up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ultimately Gaia has an idea of what an Ascian is that definitely includes herself and I don't know that there's anybody who would know better than she would.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Seeing Cleretic try to distance Gaia from the Ascians tracks from her past arguments, at least, since she's established that mass murdering fascists are actually OK if she wants to gently caress them (see: Fordola).

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Ultimately Gaia has an idea of what an Ascian is that definitely includes herself and I don't know that there's anybody who would know better than she would.

Gaia is simply too stupid to know what an ascian is and calls herself one mistakenly, but uhhhhh is also really cool and emotionally mature at the same time

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

King Cohort posted:

Seeing Cleretic try to distance Gaia from the Ascians tracks from her past arguments, at least, since she's established that mass murdering fascists are actually OK if she wants to gently caress them (see: Fordola).

I don't think Fordola was ever given a rank high enough to be guilty of mass murder, although she's definitely done some pretty awful stuff. And even if she was, I think the only mass murder that went on in Gyr Abania over the story was Zenos' doing. She's also, crucially, actually acting to in some way redeem herself, which is not true of most horrible people in the game.

Also I don't want to gently caress Fordola, she scares me. I'm just okay with her as a possible romantic option for into-women WoLs because A: we are in a major dearth of those, and B: judging by the male options, war crimes don't take you off the table.

Friendly advice: next time you make that argument, go for Ysayle.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope Ryne and Gaia aren't written out of the story forever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I really doubt they will be. I'm sure they'll find excuses to use The First again especially post-Endwalker.

Cleretic posted:

I don't think Fordola was ever given a rank high enough to be guilty of mass murder, although she's definitely done some pretty awful stuff. And even if she was, I think the only mass murder that went on in Gyr Abania over the story was Zenos' doing. She's also, crucially, actually acting to in some way redeem herself, which is not true of most horrible people in the game.

Also I don't want to gently caress Fordola, she scares me. I'm just okay with her as a possible romantic option for into-women WoLs because A: we are in a major dearth of those, and B: judging by the male options, war crimes don't take you off the table.

Friendly advice: next time you make that argument, go for Ysayle.

Fordola is literally responsible for a horrific mass murder event. It is a major significant part of her plot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

Fordola is literally responsible for a horrific mass murder event. It is a major significant part of her plot.

My bad then, I forgot that part.

Weirdly, for all the poo poo I give the Doman side of Stormblood for being basically nothing, I do remember a higher percentage of it.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
See, in my book, you can just say, "Gaia is someone else now and trying to do better," and leave it at that. But because some people have no chill, we have to somehow connect her past life as being complicit with genocide, and THEN do the mental gymnastics to absolve it. It's such an overly-wrought exercise in fiction.

cheetah7071 posted:

Ryne honestly deserves better, and they are doing that thing where they just date the first lesbian nearby because of a lack of options. I hope they break up amicably and Ryne finds herself a nice loving catgirl or something instead. Gaia can sulk about it for all I care.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

She reached the rank of Rem, the fourth highest military rank, marking her the leader of a cohort. There were only a handful of people above her, and she got that rank due to an impressively high body count.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
There's a huge cutscene and story beat about Alphinaud being absolutely disgusted with the evil tactics she decides to use and the ones she's complicit in. She's the Big War Crime lady and the game is not subtle about it....if you actually read whats written.

She even brings it up later saying she is the one who gave the order to fire even if it didn't start as her idea.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 10, 2021

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Out of all the characters they could have held over from Stormblood, Fordola is the last I would have picked. She is right up there with Gaius for me as characters I want to choke on a fish bone and die unceremoniously off-screen already. Out of sight and out of mind.

I'm not even touching the notion of Fordola as a lesbian romance option and how much that makes my skin crawl.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

She even brings it up later saying she is the one who gave the order to fire even if it didn't start as her idea.

Yeah, I remembered this part, but not really the specifics. Just the generalities of 'did war crimes, feels bad about it, working on repentance'. That's my bad.

Doesn't change that the last parts do put her above most of the other war criminals we've got hanging around, and we seem to give them passes if people want to smooch them. Why not give Fordola the same treatment?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I remembered this part, but not really the specifics. Just the generalities of 'did war crimes, feels bad about it, working on repentance'. That's my bad.

Doesn't change that the last parts do put her above most of the other war criminals we've got hanging around, and we seem to give them passes if people want to smooch them. Why not give Fordola the same treatment?

I literally can not think of a war criminal on 'our side' who is not either dead or actively working towards redemption. Maybe one of the lovely Ul'dah lalafells?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ImpAtom posted:

I literally can not think of a war criminal on 'our side' who is not either dead or actively working towards redemption. Maybe one of the lovely Ul'dah lalafells?
You could potentially define Estinien as one, but Estinien was acting based on his own incomplete knowledge for most of his career, and during the period where he knows the score in the Dragonsong war AND isn't mind controlled, he behaves in a reasonably righteous way -- at the very least, he's not gassing dragonlets or something.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Emet and Zenos. BIG 'wanna smooch' energy on both of those in the playerbase, despite both of them being very happy to wipe out an entire nation. Or more, in Emet's case.

So who are we to say that's okay, but not Fordola, who at least feels bad about it?

In terms of actual canon, yeah, Estinien's the closest. But I've always felt like his actions were totally valid war-waging on pretenses he learned were false, which is different.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 10, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I mean Emet and Zenos. BIG 'wanna smooch' energy on both of those in the playerbase, despite both of them being very happy to wipe out an entire nation.

So who are we to say that's okay, but not Fordola, who at least feels bad about it?

We murdered both of those characters and presumably are going to murder Zenos again.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Cleretic posted:

I mean Emet and Zenos. BIG 'wanna smooch' energy on both of those in the playerbase, despite both of them being very happy to wipe out an entire nation.

"Why can't we stan girlboss war criminals too?" is really not a great angle.

Now I'm not telling you not to have a thing for Fordola. Nor do you need to validate/justify your problematic romance headcanon. It's your fantasy. You don't need our permission.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
most of those people find those characters sexy because they're evil. fordola is a lame flip-flopper and thats why people are awoogaing over the 9 foot tall resident evil lady instead of her

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

YES bread posted:

most of those people find those characters sexy because they're evil. fordola is a lame flip-flopper and thats why people are awoogaing over the 9 foot tall resident evil lady instead of her

Absolutely.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Sherry Bahm posted:

"Why can't we stan girlboss war criminals too?" is really not a great angle.

Now I'm not telling you not to have a thing for Fordola. Nor do you need to validate/justify your problematic romance headcanon. It's your fantasy. You don't need our permission.

Hey, I didn't come up with it, and as I said, Fordola scares me and I'm not interested. But it's come up before here, I'm not the only supporter, and we are DESPERATELY in need of women to ship the WoL with. It's pretty much Y'shtola and maybe Merlwyb. We need to add Fordola just to make up the numbers! If that means brushing aside war crimes, well, the Zenos and Emet stans have done it much harder anyway!

Now if we're talking MY tastes, I'm into Ysayle, which is an entirely different but equally imposing pile of problems. (EDIT: although at least crystal mom approves of her, so that's something)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you fantasia to lalafell its Okay and Woke to kiss tataru

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fordola discourse is gonna get real heated once she joins the main cast in Endwalker

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yugiri and Lyse and Lucia don't exist?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Fordola discourse is gonna get real heated once she joins the main cast in Endwalker
the fordola and gaius trusts will tear this family apart

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SirSamVimes posted:

Yugiri and Lyse and Lucia don't exist?

Yugiri's a bit dull, and we might be contending with Hien (as I've mentioned before, I don't want to be competing with Hien, he performs his own state-sanctioned executions and that's a bit too hardcore for me). Also she spends all her time in Doma, and I don't want the WoL being that 'I have a girlfriend but she lives in Japan so you can't meet her' sort.

Lucia is obviously with Aymeric, I feel like she's not even in contention for most people.

And... I dunno why exactly Lyse isn't on the table, but she hasn't been.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Cleretic posted:

Hey, I didn't come up with it, and as I said, Fordola scares me and I'm not interested. But it's come up before here, I'm not the only supporter, and we are DESPERATELY in need of women to ship the WoL with. It's pretty much Y'shtola and maybe Merlwyb. We need to add Fordola just to make up the numbers! If that means brushing aside war crimes, well, the Zenos and Emet stans have done it much harder anyway!

Now if we're talking MY tastes, I'm into Ysayle, which is an entirely different but equally imposing pile of problems. (EDIT: although at least crystal mom approves of her, so that's something)

Cleretic posted:

Yugiri's a bit dull, and we might be contending with Hien (as I've mentioned before, I don't want to be competing with Hien, he performs his own state-sanctioned executions and that's a bit too hardcore for me). Also she spends all her time in Doma, and I don't want the WoL being that 'I have a girlfriend but she lives in Japan so you can't meet her' sort.

Lucia is obviously with Aymeric, I feel like she's not even in contention for most people.

You've clearly spent a lot of time on your romantic headcanons. And while it's cute that you have all these justifications for the who's and why's of lesbian romance eligibility, it's all once again, your fantasy.

You and anyone else can ship their WoL with whoever you want to. Lyse, Jessie, Sadu, Yugiri, Lucia. Ship your WoL to any and all of them! Simultaneously even!

All with the power of your IMAGINATION!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

damnit we've established this already, aymeric is with me

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Dibs on Tiamat

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My WoL is volcel.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My WoL is volcel.

same the only thing my wol wants to kiss is new tomestone

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My WoL is volcel.

There will be time for dating when I'm done fighting. *punches fist into hand* And I will never be done fighting.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Zutaten posted:

There will be time for dating when I'm done fighting. *punches fist into hand* And I will never be done fighting.

But what will you do when all the things have been punched?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sherry Bahm posted:

But what will you do when all the things have been punched?

Create an expansionist empire and teach the neighboring tribes how to summon primals.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Create an expansionist empire and teach the neighboring tribes how to summon primals.

Ah, "paying it forward", as they say.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

In Eorzea, the beast tribes often summon gods to fight in their stead. I think your comrades should respond in kind - which isn't strange, is it? Your Gods aren't otherwise engaged. I was given to understand they were your protectors. If you truly believe them to be your guardians, why not repeat the trick that served us so well at Carteneau, and call them down? They will answer - so long as you lavish them on crystals and gorge them on aether.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cleretic posted:

I mean if you don't like the options that's fine, but that's very different to options not existing.

I do agree with you that there is a lot better pickings as far as husbands go, though.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Endorph posted:

In Eorzea, the beast tribes often summon gods to fight in their stead. I think your comrades should respond in kind - which isn't strange, is it? Your Gods aren't otherwise engaged. I was given to understand they were your protectors. If you truly believe them to be your guardians, why not repeat the trick that served us so well at Carteneau, and call them down? They will answer - so long as you lavish them on crystals and gorge them on aether.

Pretty sure Azemya showed up to kick Gaius' arse, though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I wonder why that when conversations about awful crimes against humanity crop up, no one ever mentions Cylva. She was unfortunately pressed into a role she didn't want (much like Fordola) yet she was successful in killing roughly 80% of a planet's population via the Flood. The narrative and the characters all seem pretty cool with the fact that she's partially responsible for a lot of sorrow, but compared to Fordola and Yotsuyu, she barely catches any smoke from the fanbase.