Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rinkles posted:

staples of a good immersive sim

My desk and only my desk has a barcode scanner at it

You bet your rear end I made my password into a barcode. They're already gonna be able to just log in by flipping my keyboard, this saves then from having to type anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

1) Get Bitwarden

2) Don’t self host it because lmao it’s not 2003

3) Turn on two factor authentication with Google Authenticator and NOT a text to your phone because lmao it’s not 2013

Secure passwords is done

Why not a txt to my phone? Other then the year?

Edit: nm I was reading the thread backwards.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I use a piece of paper and a pencil. If a hacker breaks into my study, he's free to log on to my MySpace.

E: actually it's a notebook.

Is it P@55w0rd666?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

1) Get Bitwarden

3) Turn on two factor authentication with Google Authenticator and NOT a text to your phone because lmao it’s not 2013

Secure passwords is done

Done and done. Thank you for the info, sorry about the derail.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
When you say texts are that insecure, are you talking about a vulnerability with phones/viruses or the network delivering them?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Fried Watermelon posted:

Goons first got me to buy a bidet and now they are trying to make me get a password manager. What's next? Flossing?

:eng101: Actually, flossing is just as important as brushing your teeth, if not more. Brushing only does so much to prevent gingivitis; don't google that if you're easily grossed out.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pararoid posted:

When you say texts are that insecure, are you talking about a vulnerability with phones/viruses or the network delivering them?

The network delivering them, it's way easier than you think to hijack someone's number and read their texts

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pararoid posted:

You can do a thing called simswapping that doesn’t require access to another persons phone and it gives you their texts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_swap_scam

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Ah I see. Having said that, if they've got my photo ID and can pass for me in-store, then I'd imagine they can already do much worse, but still interesting.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

1) Get Bitwarden

Secure passwords is done

I only got a smartphone a few years ago, before that it was a series of burner phones, so I'm still elated every time I can get a tech issue done with a text to my actual drat phone, how cool is that, and now you're telling me I shouldn't do that and I gotta learn some other bullshit thing?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

after about the second hour of looking up passwords in my notebook and trying to determine whether my lovely handwriting says
"aAbF';Dn-jd|,2CGw>|8smwec8n(\v^v" or
"aAbF';Dn-jdl,2CGw>I8smwec8n(\v^v",
i would just go back to using insecure passwords
and god forbid having to manually type poo poo like that into a phone keyboard if I ever want to log in somewhere on mobile

Yeah gently caress punctuation i'll just use equivalent-entropy longer ones with just letters thanks.

The most miserable case is when you use a high-quality password for netflix or whatever and then try and enter it on a smart TV using a remote.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

John Lee posted:

I only got a smartphone a few years ago, before that it was a series of burner phones, so I'm still elated every time I can get a tech issue done with a text to my actual drat phone, how cool is that, and now you're telling me I shouldn't do that and I gotta learn some other bullshit thing?

You get an app on that same phone that just gives you the 2FA code whenever you need it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also sms is a horribly unreliable service and sometimes messages just never arrive

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
It seems like both the issues can be largely avoided by having a decent provider, but I guess some will be locked into crappy markets.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Anybody wants to hack my phone and read texts between me and my wife talking about how bad our farts are stinking up our respective home offices, be my guest.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
My personal way for preventing identity theft is having such bad credit that anyone who stole my identity would be a fool unto himself.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also sms is a horribly unreliable service and sometimes messages just never arrive

I have to use two-factor for work and the push feature never works on campus, where I most often bloody need it. I have to tell it specifically to ring me, then answer the call. They also make us change passwords every month, so by the time I learn one well I have to change it.

Oldstench posted:

Anybody wants to hack my phone and read texts between me and my wife talking about how bad our farts are stinking up our respective home offices, be my guest.

And they say that romance is dead...

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Pararoid posted:

It seems like both the issues can be largely avoided by having a decent provider, but I guess some will be locked into crappy markets.

Yeah crappy markets like...
https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3g8wb/hacker-got-my-texts-16-dollars-sakari-netnumber
America. This is with one of the largest carriers, so not sure who you think is decent, as I bet it works with every other provider too.
:911:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
since we're having another conversation about data, data security, and data value, does anyone want to start a betting pool on the number of posts before the current passive-aggressive sniping turns into earnest attempts to tear each other to bloody shreds?

side bets taken on when the mods come in to pretend like they're handling the issue and then decline to do anything about it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I love that the free games thread is the most hostile thread I know of on the forums

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

I love that the free games thread is the most hostile thread I know of on the forums

WHY WOULD YOU EVEN POST HERE IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO INCLUDE A FREE GAME!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

aniviron posted:

:eng101: Actually, flossing is just as important as brushing your teeth, if not more. Brushing only does so much to prevent gingivitis; don't google that if you're easily grossed out.

Also, get an electric toothbrush. It really helps with your tartar if it's used properly.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Five Steps From Hell (Itch)

https://youtu.be/JPJkW5ZXPHs

Slash It (IndieGala)

https://youtu.be/dFub0j6MBXI

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

thank you stickman

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Pararoid posted:

Ah I see. Having said that, if they've got my photo ID and can pass for me in-store, then I'd imagine they can already do much worse, but still interesting.

It's more like your name and number get leaked and some person calls your provider pretending to be you and they just give them access even though they "forgot" the answers to the identity verifying questions and also there's a note attached to your account saying DO NOT SIMSWAP UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES but they still get it because the Customer Is Always Right.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

But like if you host with Bitwarden, do they have access to your passwords? It can’t be hashed right? So it’s just encrypted and only you have the key?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

WHY WOULD YOU EVEN POST HERE IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO INCLUDE A FREE GAME!

It's really the choosing beggars scenario, where people expecting free poo poo get the most hostile. I love it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Social Animal posted:

But like if you host with Bitwarden, do they have access to your passwords? It can’t be hashed right? So it’s just encrypted and only you have the key?

They host basically an encrypted file that you locally decrypt with your password. That's why there's no password recovery for your master password in Bitwarden. They never get your master password

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

a7m2 posted:

They host basically an encrypted file that you locally decrypt with your password. That's why there's no password recovery for your master password in Bitwarden. They never get your master password

Cool that makes sense. I had someone trying to pull me into using KeePass instead but Bitwarden just sounds way more easier and comfier to use.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Coolguye posted:

since we're having another conversation about data, data security, and data value, does anyone want to start a betting pool on the number of posts before the current passive-aggressive sniping turns into earnest attempts to tear each other to bloody shreds?

side bets taken on when the mods come in to pretend like they're handling the issue and then decline to do anything about it.

What?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you heard me

place your bet

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Coolguye posted:

you heard me

place your bet

I still don't follow, but uh I guess it's now?

Is this because the mods wouldn't enforce chess playing as a form of problem solving in your xcom thread?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Coolguye posted:

Why are you posting this way?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Len posted:

I still don't follow, but uh I guess it's now?

Is this because the mods wouldn't enforce chess playing as a form of problem solving in your xcom thread?

No. What the hell? Where did this come from?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Coolguye posted:

Because this is a normal post to make

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Currently free: the first two chapters of adventure game The Dream Machine

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Im tired of the pointless aggression in this thread and I’m not the only one. Can we do something about it this time?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

It's called a "self-fulfilling prophecy"

as in, he fulfills it himself

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Len posted:

Because this is a normal post to make

The last two times this happened the mods did exactly that, in this thread

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coolguye posted:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I will fight any and all dissenting opinions on this

Buddy, I warned you I’d do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Coolguye posted:

Im tired of the pointless aggression in this thread and I’m not the only one. Can we do something about it this time?

If you are asking me to probe you, then no.
If there are bad posts, then report them.

There has been no reports from this thread in recent times other than your post that caused me to respond.
I do not read this thread. There are a few threads I do not read and if I do not see any reports then I am going to hope things are going OK.

If they are not OK then please let me know.

Your post was passive aggressive and seemed to be exactly what you did not want in the thread so it confused me.

I and Harrow need information if you want us to help threads.