Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ntan1 posted:

I got my second shot at around 8:30AM on Friday. By 4PM, I was really sleepy but with no fever. After I woke up the next day, the entire day I had chills + a fever + tiredness + body ache + a headache, even when I went to sleep at 11:59PM on Saturday.

Then I woke up at 9AM on Sunday and magically felt perfectly fine.

Yeah I had a similar progression, felt a little feverish and not 100% yesterday but today I woke up feeling normal. Hope the boosters are like this because one day of feeling not amazing is fine compared to covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

QuarkJets posted:

This estimate suggests closer to one in one thousand, and that's verified by the huge Israeli study posted earlier on this page. That's all that really matters: that we understand that your likelihood of experiencing serious or deadly covid-19 does not reduce to 0 once vaccinated, and that big reductions in this likelihood are still further reduced with social distancing, mask wearing, etc. It's one more reason why vaccine passports are probably a stupid idea

It's not though, look at the PHE SIREN study I linked before.

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2021/02/23/covid-19-analysing-first-vaccine-effectiveness-in-the-uk/

Healthcare workers with about the highest possible level of exposure to covid you can get were after 1st dose 72% less likely to become infected at all (tested with regular PCR screening) and 86% after the second dose.

Of the 40,000 healthcare workers in the study there were of course breakthrough infections but importantly there were zero deaths and only a small handful of serious cases two weeks after first vaccine dose.

Unless you're very elderly or otherwise vulnerable your chance of dying from covid after vaccinations is much closer to 1 in a million than one in a thousand.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ImJustTommie/status/1390861223621767168?s=19

quote:

A Minnesota man posted a video of himself that appeared to show him stealing a vial of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine in order to “test it at a lab.”

The man, who has been identified by his social media accounts as Thomas Humphrey, filmed himself at what appeared to be the beginning of a COVID-19 vaccine appointment at a CVS pharmacy on Thursday.

He can be heard saying, “I just want to read it. I just—you know, I’m taking the vaccine, I just want to read it,” he then reached across a counter and grabbed a white box.” A woman who appeared to be a CVS employee tried to take the box back, saying, “Sir! Sir!”

It wasn’t the first time Humphrey pulled this stunt. The day before he did the same thing at a clinic, warning people the vaccine was toxic and they should roll their sleeves back down.  Humphrey is wearing a “National Action Task Force” shirt, an org that proclaims “enough is enough!”

Thomas was arrested Thursday, but for some reason not for stealing the vaccine. He was booked for unrelated charges of obstructing legal process, operating a motor vehicle without plates and registration and driving on a suspended license. He’s already been released.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
https://twitter.com/StandUp4Equity/status/1390663128937951236?s=20

He is a Free Man Traveling. Can't arrest him!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

He's got a really punchable face

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I like that he's been released, because clearly he's mentally stable and won't do something like this ever again, much less within the next few days.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/drdagly/status/1391524533337612291

:hmmyes:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

QuarkJets posted:

No one is assuming anything like that

Except I think a lot of people are. We saw this in the previous iteration of the thread, where people were very much discussing post vaccination odds of infection as being 1in 10 or 1 in 20.

I don't disagree with any of the numbers you posted, I'm just noting that in a vacuum those numbers don't accurately describe actual risk.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
got knocked flat around 19 hours after the second shot, lasted all day. the first shot was uneventful. a weird symptom, though: it almost felt like the body aches, headache and nausea were coming from my arm? it was weird and i can't really explain it. if i moved my arm and got an ache, it would start a wave of pain and nausea through the rest of me. photophobia and hyperacusis were worse than usual for me. i caved and took a couple tylenol and an ibuprofen. whoever said in the earlier thread that it feels nothing like w/d was correct.

feeling ok now, though. it left just as quickly as it showed up

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 10, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I work at a major international airport and let me tell you what. COVID is definitely over.

Passenger loads on nearly all airlines are getting close to pre COVID levels.

Domestic and international.

Everyone has a mask on though!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm about 1.5 weeks post 2nd Moderna dose. I got a bit of a fever and the usual tiredness after it. I've been trying to get back into my lifting routine and my knee has been hurting and giving me a lot of poo poo, and my back is as well to a lesser degree. I normally don't get this kind of thing, and haven't even been trying to lift hard/heavy. Do you guys think it's possible I just have some extra inflammation from the immune response to the vaccine that's causing this that will resolve itself eventually?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm about 1.5 weeks post 2nd Moderna dose. I got a bit of a fever and the usual tiredness after it. I've been trying to get back into my lifting routine and my knee has been hurting and giving me a lot of poo poo, and my back is as well to a lesser degree. I normally don't get this kind of thing, and haven't even been trying to lift hard/heavy. Do you guys think it's possible I just have some extra inflammation from the immune response to the vaccine that's causing this that will resolve itself eventually?

I have no medical background. I do think it's possible take it easy. If it is some kind of inflammation it will resolve itself and it won't take months or anything, just a few more weeks, that is my guess.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I also work a lot of hours and stuff, so I'm also probably a bit more predisposed to that sort of thing as well. I'll try not to worry about it too much, but lifting is like my only healthy outlet and it's pissing me off.

Also joint pain is apparently a reported side effect, but I'm not sure if that includes situations like "squatting even 95 lbs will piss your knee off real bad" although I guess it could. I know pain can be real weird and funky with how it works and when it is triggered.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 10, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I also work a lot of hours and stuff, so I'm also probably a bit more predisposed to that sort of thing as well. I'll try not to worry about it too much, but lifting is like my only healthy outlet and it's pissing me off.

How long did you take off?

Like I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Around 34 hours since the second Pfizer shot--felt nothing yesterday, today felt worn out most of the day, like I didn't sleep much the night before. Had only a sore arm after the first dose.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

How long did you take off?

Like I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Kind of hard to explain, I've been working out "a bit" but it usually just involved a few sets of bench press, and then getting mad and quitting when I try to squat. I haven't had a real workout since my first vaccine dose over a month ago. I suspected I might have just gotten unadapted to lifting, but if that were the issue, I should still be able to do light workouts fine and just ease back into it. For instance, when I tried to bench press today, just the small amount of leg drive I used really flared my knee issue up pretty bad, squatting was out of the question completely.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Welcome to getting old. You can expect more stuff to start to hurt for no reason.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That's dumb and not what it is. Bodies don't actually fall apart in your 30s so bad you can't do any physical activity, it's usually from inactivity and other lifestyle factors that people like to blame on age. I was just trying to figure out if it was vaccine related or not.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That's dumb and not what it is. Bodies don't actually fall apart in your 30s so bad you can't do any physical activity, it's usually from inactivity and other lifestyle factors that people like to blame on age. I was just trying to figure out if it was vaccine related or not.

Serious post you should post your question in the little goon doctor subforum. It's slow but many genuinely knowledgeable people post in there I'm serious, and it's obviously really bothering you take a look you have nothing to lose.
And also in here this thread is specifically about vaccination

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963826

Good luck goon!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Saros posted:

It's not though, look at the PHE SIREN study I linked before.

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2021/02/23/covid-19-analysing-first-vaccine-effectiveness-in-the-uk/

Healthcare workers with about the highest possible level of exposure to covid you can get were after 1st dose 72% less likely to become infected at all (tested with regular PCR screening) and 86% after the second dose.

Of the 40,000 healthcare workers in the study there were of course breakthrough infections but importantly there were zero deaths and only a small handful of serious cases two weeks after first vaccine dose.

Unless you're very elderly or otherwise vulnerable your chance of dying from covid after vaccinations is much closer to 1 in a million than one in a thousand.

You're talking about likelihood of getting infected at all, but I was talking about "odds of dying of covid-19 after catching it while vaccinated", which is nowhere near one in ten million or whatever. Likelihood of getting infected seems sketchy to speculate about since it's largely population-behavior-based in addition to chance?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 10, 2021

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

QuarkJets posted:

You're talking about likelihood of getting infected at all, but that's basically impossible to predict because it's largely behavior based. I think the odds being discussed were "odds of dying of covid-19 after catching it while vaccinated", which is nowhere near one in ten million or whatever

Saros posted:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. had two deaths yesterday, hospital admissions and covid deaths are going down on average 24% and 38% a week respectively from 1200 deaths a day since the vaccination program started, but positive tests have been hovering around the 2000-2100 per day for a month.

Is the information you should share with the vaccine hesitant people you know.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That study actually supports what I said earlier: this study cites a 56% reduction in CFR in the best-case, which coupled with the reduced likelihood of infection still does not come anywhere near "one in ten million" odds

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

That study actually supports what I said earlier: this study cites a 56% reduction in CFR in the best-case, which coupled with the reduced likelihood of infection still does not come anywhere near "one in ten million" odds

What is your basic thesis here? That the vaccines don't provide very good protection after all, or are you trying to push back against people who treat it is a magic complete immunity to covid?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

learnincurve posted:

U.K. had two deaths yesterday, hospital admissions and covid deaths are going down on average 24% and 38% a week respectively from 1200 deaths a day since the vaccination program started, but positive tests have been hovering around the 2000-2100 per day for a month.

Is the information you should share with the vaccine hesitant people you know.

The UK has done so well getting to where it is compared to where it was.
I just wish you would take that extra step and drive it down to no community spread the way Australia and NZ have done.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Helith posted:

I just wish you would take that extra step and drive it down to no community spread the way Australia and NZ have done.

We don't have no community spread. Right now we're under restrictions because of a community case.

Genomic testing shows that this guy must have got it via transmission from hotel quarantine to the community but the missing link remains unidentified despite exhaustive contact tracing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

We don't have no community spread. Right now we're under restrictions because of a community case.

Genomic testing shows that this guy must have got it via transmission from hotel quarantine to the community but the missing link remains unidentified despite exhaustive contact tracing.

Yeah even Fortress Australia isn't immune to a sudden case of community spread popping up with absolutely no warning, it's an incredibly sneaky virus. I've noticed that people in Melbourne are getting super lax over the few pandemic restrictions we still have in place so we just have to hope that they keep getting tested if they get fly symptoms.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Lolie posted:

It’s not sustained community spread luckily and our contact tracing does a good job of containing what little community spread we occasionally get. If the UK were down to the occasional quarantine outbreak the way we are I would feel a lot happier for my family there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What is your basic thesis here? That the vaccines don't provide very good protection after all, or are you trying to push back against people who treat it is a magic complete immunity to covid?

The latter; basically someone came in to report having to plan a funeral for a dead vaccine-haver and someone else was like "wow their body should be donated to medical science, that's like one in ten million odds!" Meanwhile, some vaccinated people are acting like the pandemic is already over, but that's far from the case. Basically this:

QuarkJets posted:

This estimate suggests closer to one in one thousand, and that's verified by the huge Israeli study posted earlier on this page. That's all that really matters: that we understand that your likelihood of experiencing serious or deadly covid-19 does not reduce to 0 once vaccinated, and that big reductions in this likelihood are still further reduced with social distancing, mask wearing, etc. It's one more reason why vaccine passports are probably a stupid idea

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 10, 2021

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Helith posted:

It’s not sustained community spread luckily and our contact tracing does a good job of containing what little community spread we occasionally get. If the UK were down to the occasional quarantine outbreak the way we are I would feel a lot happier for my family there.

I will feel a lot happier when our vaccination rate catches up with that of other countries. We need to continue a multi-dimensional approach and strengthen it where we can.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It is weird that the doom posting goons have anecdotes that contradict entire countries and actual studies.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

The latter; basically someone came in to report having to plan a funeral for a dead vaccine-haver and someone else was like "wow their body should be donated to medical science, that's like one in ten million odds!" Meanwhile, some vaccinated people are acting like the pandemic is already over, but that's far from the case. Basically this:

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I don't know, but I think trying to find metaphors might be more helpful than arguing numbers and percentages. Like, the odds of a bad infection might be similar to getting hit by lightning, but you don't grab a lightning rod and go stand out in the middle of a field during a lightning storm, either. People treating the vaccine as a panacea are metaphorically grabbing those lightning rods and running out into the storm.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Covid agoraphobia is also a thing.

The last year messed with everyone’s heads and many people are finding it super hard to adjust to the idea that the vaccine is working, to the point where decent people who would normally triple check sources are accidentally repeating something that first started on magachud.com, their friends pick up on that normally reliable source on Facebook and so on and that’s how a lot of the lies sneak in.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

It is weird that the doom posting goons have anecdotes that contradict entire countries and actual studies.

No one's doom posting, we're talking about not treating vaccination as a magic elixir

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
we’re at the point in a house fire where we learned spraying water on it will put out the fire

It’s almost out so we better turn off the fire hydrant, anything else would be doomerism

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well those posts aren’t disingenuous at all.

Vaccines are the god drat magic elixir, we just got to get enough of the special voodoo juice into enough people’s arms to make herd immunity a thing. Just like we did with smallpox.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Turns out if people can decline the vaccine, herd immunity is not going to be a thing. It's not mental illness to take that into account.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Daily podcast from New York Times, of all places, is preparing America for a future where herd immunity is out of reach, where the disease ravages the country for generations, surging and ebbing repeatedly.

Don’t worry, “it doesn’t have to be a dire thing. We’re just changing what we consider to be our goal.”

He’s the transcript of a good portion of last Friday’s episode. Background is that Michael Barbaro is the host and uninformed viewer surrogate. Apoorva Mandavilli is a credible reporter who talked to a bunch of experts as well as Anthony Fauci.

Sidenote: In asking “why didn’t they have their usual plague reporter on?”, I learned that that guy, Donald G. McNeil Jr., was forced out of the paper over an N‐word incident.

quote:

Michael Barbaro

So Apoorva, what does it look like to live in a country in which there is not herd immunity, and especially a country like the United States that has started to reopen, and yet is not really on its way to herd immunity?

Apoorva Mandavilli
What it probably means is that we are going to hear about outbreaks of the virus in different parts of the country throughout the year. We’ll hear about outbreaks in any place that doesn’t have a very high level of vaccine acceptance. Hopefully, they will not be anywhere near what we saw in the months of winter when the numbers were just really horrifically high. But we will probably still hear about lots of very sick people and some people dying for many years to come.

Michael Barbaro
Many years to come.

Apoorva Mandavilli
That’s right. The best estimate so far seems to be that we might sort of bumble along this path for the next generation or two.

Michael Barbaro
Wow.

Apoorva Mandavilli
But at some point, all the adults will have either been vaccinated, or they will have had the virus once. But that might take 20 to 40 years.

Michael Barbaro
Mm-hmm. So during the intervening 20 to 40 years, when we wait for that point, I wonder if you can describe the kinds of outbreaks that we’re going to be experiencing, what that’s going to feel like. Is there an analogy that comes to mind?

Apoorva Mandavilli
Well, think about the Orthodox Jewish population in New York and just north of the city. They’ve had some really bad measles outbreaks because they’re not vaccinated for measles. Same with Los Angeles, where, for many reasons, the vaccine acceptance symptoms is very low. And those places have seen measles outbreaks that really have flared very quickly out of control because there’s very little herd immunity in those particular pockets. But those do spill out into the broader community sometimes and infect, say, babies that haven’t yet been vaccinated, or some older adults who’ve lost immunity over time to the measles virus. That does happen sometimes. So we’re talking about seeing these pockets of virus popping up all through the country and sometimes spilling over even into the neighboring communities where people did get vaccinated for the most part.

Michael Barbaro
And how risky will those outbreaks be for the average person who is vaccinated?

Apoorva Mandavilli
Well, for the vast majority of people who are vaccinated, it probably won’t be. And even if they do get infected, they may not get very sick. But there are cases that we’ve seen already where even people who’ve been vaccinated can get infected. There was just a case in Kentucky at a nursing home, where there was an unvaccinated staff member who infected 26 residents of the nursing home. And 18 of them, of that 26, had been vaccinated with both doses of the vaccine two weeks past the second dose, which is what we’re supposed to have. And still, they were infected. Some of them had symptoms, and two of them died.

Michael Barbaro
Wow.

Apoorva Mandavilli
So there’s a likelihood that you will not get as sick if you’ve been vaccinated before, but it’s not a full guarantee.

Michael Barbaro
So in a world where we have not achieved herd immunity, the world we’re living in now — and it looks like we will be living in for, as you say, up to a generation — things like this will happen, where an unvaccinated person, the kind of person who’s keeping us from achieving herd immunity, will infect vaccinated people. And some small percentage of them will get really sick. And an even smaller percentage of them will die.

Apoorva Mandavilli
That’s right, and I think this is very important to emphasize also because I’ve seen a lot of this sentiment of, if people don’t want to get vaccinated, that’s on them. Why should I care? But there are a lot of people, like the elderly, for example, who may not put up a very strong response, even when they get vaccinated. There are so many immunocompromised people, either because they had cancer or who take some kind of medication that don’t really produce antibodies when they get the vaccine. And so, we do have to think about all of those people as being susceptible when there’s an outbreak. And there’s something else we need to think about, which is that every person that the virus infects is another opportunity for it to mutate. So when you have the virus circulating in big numbers of people again, we are giving the virus so many chances to mutate into something that is more contagious or that our vaccines are not quite as effective against. So we have to be very careful to also contain the virus and its ability to mutate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/07/podcasts/the-daily/coronavirus-herd-immunity-vaccine.html?showTranscript=1

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Except for it’s clearly a self correcting problem given that the majority of anti-vaxers are high risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You might like to read the quote before you respond to it. Hint:

quote:

I’ve seen a lot of this sentiment of, if people don’t want to get vaccinated, that’s on them. Why should I care? But