Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1391384516594389002
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1391403080877580288
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1391403728993984513
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1391403863832502273

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

What does he get for his slavish devotion this this farce. This guy tweets north of 10 times daily with nothing but exuberant praise and apologism for this tech-demo-at-best. Who has that kind of energy to dump into anything.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

How do they keep making everything look so bad?

text editor posted:

Also I feel like pointing out that the actual moonshot took a hair over 8 years, NASA didn't have a prepackaged "space shuttle engine" to use as a jumping off point, and it had to be largely bugs free since bugs meant dead astronauts

Hmmm so if SC started killing backers when it failed it would be fixed is what you're saying?

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 10, 2021

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Also I feel like pointing out that the actual moonshot took a hair over 8 years, NASA didn't have a prepackaged "space shuttle engine" to use as a jumping off point, and it had to be largely bugs free since bugs meant dead astronauts

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

text editor posted:

What does he get for his slavish devotion this this farce. This guy tweets north of 10 times daily with nothing but exuberant praise and apologism for this tech-demo-at-best. Who has that kind of energy to dump into anything.

I bet he 'owns' an Idris.

Regarding this being a gaming 'moonshot', its really not. At any one time you are playing a game that we have seen before, played many times before. running round in corridors? Flying a spaceship? Shopping at the space shop? Carrying boxes? Talking with the barman? Driving a 4x4 on a barren planet? There are 6 OLD games for each of those gameplay loops, off the top of my head. SC isnt best in class at any of those too. It glories in its dated gameplay ideas.

Even just this week - Mass Effect trilogy remastered is coming out in a few days on consoles and wipes the floor with SQ42.

There is nothing, literally nothing, revolutionary about SC part from the funding model. Its a space game with every piece of scope-creep crap that Roberts could monetise tacked on.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

text editor posted:

I'm sure he imagines 5-10-15 years from now his name will be spoken in quiet awe across various forums as one of the 'stalwart soldiers' of star citizen, always there to defend her maiden honor

he can jump into a discord server and people will say Jorunn is here guys... and everyone will know who that is

stuff that these people have been dreaming about since day 0 when the kickstarter launched

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

he can jump into a discord server and people will say Jorunn is here guys... and everyone will know who that is

That's probably true, but they don't say it with the tone of voice he hopes.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Why didn't the space bulldozer just push the crashed fighter into the hanger so they could retrieve the pilot and salvage the fighter? Why did it have to push the fighter overboard? Why did the fighter even fall when pushed overboard? They're in the space, and the fighter has the same momentum as the ship after the crash. Doesn't Wing Commander have tractor beams? Why didn't the carrier just tractor beam the damaged fighter, or the wreckage of the fighter after pushed overboard?

TheBombPhilosopher fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 10, 2021

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Lol I forgot that the dude from Hackers and Twin Peaks S3 was in Wing Command. He was awesome in Twin Peaks.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Why didn't the space bulldozer just push the crashed fighter into the hanger so they could retrieve the pilot and salvage the fighter? Why did it have to push the fighter overboard? Why did the fighter even fall when pushed overboard? They're in the space, and the fighter has the same momentum as the ship after the crash. Doesn't Wing Commander have tractor beams? Why didn't the carrier just tractor beam the damaged fighter, or the wreckage of the fighter after pushed overboard?

you think a future where they have space aircraft carriers and force fields can also have tractor beams?

ha, what whimsy, utter crazy talk

just use the bulldozer !

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

JugbandDude posted:

It looks a lot smaller than the one in the original kickstarter demo.

This seems a bit suspicious. Crobsters seems to be an ardent follower of the "bigger is better approach" when it comes to JPEGs.

Perhaps CIG is planning to sell multiple variants of the bagel carrier? A mini version of $6.5 K, a regular one for $9 K, and a max version for $12 K.

I bet all of them would "sell out" as soon as the JPEGs go on sale.

phosdex posted:

They'll just stop talking about it. If pressed, "oh server meshing? That was just for internal testing, from the start we never intended that to be a thing on live."

Spot on. They do this for every fake jesus tech. I would even argue this is a premeditated marketing/pr/scamming strategy.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I don't know if I should laugh at Jorunn or pity him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Blue On Blue posted:

I'm sure he imagines 5-10-15 years from now his name will be spoken in quiet awe across various forums as one of the 'stalwart soldiers' of star citizen, always there to defend her maiden honor

stuff that these people have been dreaming about since day 0 when the kickstarter launched

The core of the Star Citizen fantasy is the imagined ability to buy respect and class. The idea that because you spent thousands of dollars on a spaceship people will desperately want to be your friend.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

$100
https://v.redd.it/64w00qu838y61/DASH_720.mp4

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://v.redd.it/1l9eqeg2y6y61/DASH_1080.mp4

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

I love how it's a normal tank. Not even like a Landmaster or anything. Not even a modern tank either, it's what 1980 imagined tanks in 1982 would be like.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
$3.39 DLC for a $7.49 game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzi6f_RWJ3Y

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1387790486182711296

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/a1n5Khd.mp4

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Forget the physics, where are the tracks from the tank treads?! That's so unfidelitous!

As for all the usual 1:1 scale and walking in, it's convenient how none of the faithful apparently ever played Space Engineers or Empyrion. And how 1:1 scale apparently should never apply to planets/galaxy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That is incredibly sweet but I was yelling at the camera person to pick the fuckin cat up the whole time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
is the idea that that dog's owners just let it roam the streets alone

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Does it come with a giant child arm that pushes it around and says vroom vroom?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

Forget the physics, where are the tracks from the tank treads?! That's so unfidelitous!
Tracks, physics, the whole vehicle looks rigid - the suspension is not moving at all, it's oversized and doesn't fit ship it was designed for, it doesn't fit with the rest of the spaceship game in terms of its gameplay, stupid angles of plating, no optics etc. etc.

It's almost like they spent all their time on making the most detailed model and haven't thought about anything else.

But you can put it inside your US$890 space yacht, so it's redeemed and good

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 10, 2021

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Dwesa posted:

Tracks, physics, the whole vehicle looks rigid - the suspension is not moving at all, it's oversized and doesn't fit ship it was designed for, it doesn't fit with the rest of the spaceship game in terms of its gameplay, stupid angles of plating, no optics etc. etc.

It's almost like they spent all their time on making the most detailed model and haven't thought about anything else.

But you can put it inside your US$890 space yacht, so it's redeemed and good

It looks bloody awful, let's be honest - compare it to one of the steel beasts from, say, Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front and it's pretty obvious that CIG has no one on staff who understands how a tonk moves, or how to simulate weight for a big heavy vehicle.

Oh sorry, I forgot, it's a space tonk - in the future, all space tonks will skitter about like this. Absolved!

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Why on earth is everything such a tight fit ... Do the designers have to buy each pixel with their own money when making space ships?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

No tank missions
No tank battles
No anti guns
No anti tanks mines
Gameplay soon tm

Battle Ramps sold separately
Note Ramps dosent work

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
CRoberts can feel smug in thinking he has surpassed another hated competitor, Battlezone 2 (1999).

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

CeeJee posted:

CRoberts can feel smug in thinking he has surpassed another hated competitor, Battlezone 2 (1999).

https://clips.twitch.tv/SleepyWrongHareBloodTrail-M_Xw5CxLTXJztjyh

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

TheAgent posted:

[*]"server meshing" in its original form is scrapped completely as of Q4 2020

lol

TheAgent posted:

[*]devs feel that PvP griefing "has been solved" and no further development time will be allotted for griefing issues

B'tak is going to have a bad time
At least that is how I see it :ohdear:

TheAgent posted:

[*]there will be no capital ship PvP -- things "might change" if their servers can handle it
[*]larger ships (crew of 30+) will never encounter another player capital ship by design

extra lol - this is literally making GBS threads on the dreams of everyone who bought a big capship :allears:

TheAgent posted:

[*]this "tutorial" allows new players to explore without fear of PvP in their own sharded system
[*]"At the end of the questline -- if you decide to leave -- everything will be normal, including flagged for PvP."
[*]existing backers can go back and experience this content

Ok maybe B'tak might have somewhere he can hang out :sweatdrop:

TheAgent posted:

[*]Chris Roberts and his family take "about ten percent" of all incoming revenue
[*]this was a decrease from previous years

Meaning Ortwin is also on at least 10%, no way he'd let someone else skim off more than he is :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Big Rigs 2 will be a yuuuge success.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I like the Planetside 2 vibe too. That does look like the platoon has just moved from Amerish/Hossin to Esamir with the MBT player forgetting the camo swap.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

DigitalPenny posted:

No tank missions
No tank battles
No anti guns
No anti tanks mines
Gameplay soon tm

Battle Ramps sold separately
Note Ramps dosent work

https://clips.twitch.tv/PiliableStupidLampMingLee-9zrsd26hdPPpjrTO

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

CeeJee posted:

Hm, I seem to remember battlezone having a pretty cool behaving hovercrafts, definitely looking better in motion that crobear tonk, and you could get out of your vehicle, and snipe the pilot of enemy vehicle and steal it.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Berk is dead now. He clips through the shadow realm

https://clips.twitch.tv/AmorphousPeacefulSalsifyWholeWheat-zPbSh_UbLVpxqZ6w

https://clips.twitch.tv/TangentialSmallNigiriResidentSleeper-tIYdu7k35JKi85zJ

https://clips.twitch.tv/ViscousCrispyHerringOpieOP-rEbCNgzA4-jennPq

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

What's going on in those clips? Is the other commando a mini-me of the streamer? Or :iiam:?

Whatever, :iiasb: obviously.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

.random posted:

If you trust :airquote:TheAgent:airquote: over CIG. If CIG had ever given me one reason to doubt their ability or their integrity, I might buy it. But they’re delivering more, better and faster, than ever before so it’s hard to believe they’d pivot away from server meshing when it’s finally making real, totally unmeasurable improvements to the PU.

:lol:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

So, any chance of some alien life forms this year (year 10) in the PTU?

I mean, kind of most space games have aliens. (But not tanks)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i'll be honest here, i expected the tank to be boring and dumb but i really didn't expect it to look *that* bad.
it looks like they forgot to turn physics on for the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

But, seriously, there is nothing fidelitous about this tank. That is some embarrassing poo poo, if CIG was able to feel embarrassed.

My 200 ton tank just fell down a ravine and bounced a few feet into air, no dust, no reaction, no impact crater, it's all fine.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 10, 2021