Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Blindeye posted:

First time to have my own example of a horrible failure. Bought myself an old truck ('97 Silverado with a 350) and been slowly fixing it up. One of my preventative pieces of maintenance is replace the ancient distributor cap and rotor with genuine OEM ACDelco parts.

11 months and 8k miles later, the truck craps out. Full power loss on the highway with no codes or signs of failure. Get the tow home, check for spark, and decide to pull the part...

The center contact paddle was bent sideways and partway cracked off, and came off the moment I touched it. But, well:

On the plus side, total repair time and cost was 45 minutes and 70 dollars, but I will not trust ACDelco for a while to come....

Well, I can tell you that Spectra Premium isn't so hot either. Which is a shame because I consider them a great company, and actually thought I had bought a World Power Products unit. I'll have to see if maybe it was rebranded? Bought another one for a friend at the same time so hopefully he has the box, I don't think he's used it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/engineeringvidz/status/1390347167986946049?s=20

This might not entirely belong here because if you're stuck and you need to weld, it's better than the alternative.

But also, :what:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

https://twitter.com/engineeringvidz/status/1390347167986946049?s=20

This might not entirely belong here because if you're stuck and you need to weld, it's better than the alternative.

But also, :what:

Considering the phone in using now has a divot in the screen from melted slag, it's going to be a no from me, dog.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Probably hell on the camera sensor, but I don't really know how much UV they're designed to handle.

In a pinch, though...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Considering the phone in using now has a divot in the screen from melted slag, it's going to be a no from me, dog.

Darchangel posted:

Probably hell on the camera sensor, but I don't really know how much UV they're designed to handle.

In a pinch, though...
Exactly. I mean, I wouldn't do it personally with my phone, because yeah, it would obviously wreck it (for a variety of reasons) and I'm not sure how effective it'd actually be, but if you're in a pinch and it's not MY recent iPhone ... gently caress it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
HDR welding is awesome.

https://youtu.be/gtTdiqDqHc8

Horrible botanical failures:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sign me the gently caress up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I doubt you can really see the puddle well enough to weld effectively, and yeah the UV is probably turbo loving that poor CCD sensor.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Just buy a $500 hood and you can see everything beautifully and know for certain that you're safe

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Comedy option: remove hood, drive there, buy and bolt on hood, drive home.

Edit: gently caress wrong thread

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Just buy a $500 hood and you can see everything beautifully and know for certain that you're safe

My harbor freight hood works great. At least that's what people tell me. I'm blind now, you see.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Comedy option: remove hood, drive there, buy and bolt on hood, drive home.

Edit: gently caress wrong thread

That's a perfect misunderstanding.

Good welding hoods are worth the price.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Astonishing Wang posted:

My harbor freight hood works great. At least that's what people tell me. I'm blind now, you see.

Be nice to your eyes.

StormDrain posted:

Good welding hoods are worth the price.

He's right you know.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

cursedshitbox posted:

Be nice to your eyes.

a weird flip-side of this is that I’ll lend someone my welder long before I’ll lend them my helmet

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

cursedshitbox posted:

Be nice to your eyes.

He's right you know.

Even the cheap ones block UV by default. They might flash you, but you aren't getting sunburned eyeballs with one. AvE (puke) tested it and found that yup, even on grind mode, they blocked UV (it's the lens that does it).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've been a fan of my $280 Jackson - but I recently tried an Optrel and now I want to spend $$$.
https://www.jacksonsafety.com/product-page/truesight-ii-digital-variable-adf-black

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

sharkytm posted:

Sign me the gently caress up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPTCq3LiZSE

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I've got an Optrel Crystal, and I don't know how I welded in the dark for so long. It's beautiful

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Something a bit different, horrible gun failure. https://youtu.be/1449kJKxlMQ
It's long and the actual failure only is ~10 seconds of the video, at about 4:20, but it's just mind boggling how bad it almost was for the shooter. Also, a great reminder to wear safety glasses whenever you do anything

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holy gently caress.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I cannot get over how unbelievably insufficient those threads are.

These are the locking lugs on the bolt in a Barrett M99 rifle which is basically the same thing (single shot .50BMG anti-materiel rifle)

The Serbu has this holding the cap on that nearly decapitated the dude

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Memento posted:

I cannot get over how unbelievably insufficient those threads are.

These are the locking lugs on the bolt in a Barrett M99 rifle which is basically the same thing (single shot .50BMG anti-materiel rifle)

The Serbu has this holding the cap on that nearly decapitated the dude

85kpsi sounds like a lot, but its only a 55% safety factor over the number he quoted for a "normal" 50bmg load before the threads shear. idk about firearms, and im not a mechanical engineer, but even non-life-critical stuff at work gets a safety factor of 2 or 3 if it's at all structurally significant

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is shooting a 50cal really that different in terms of the skill required etc than shooting a 22 or air rifle at some appropriately scaled down range? Dunno why you'd maximize the size of explosion you're setting off next to your face (and, as it turns out, your neck veins)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

One weird trick to turn your .50 BMG into a handgun

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hell yea monetize that video of you getting maimed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can see the appeal of renting a big gun at the range.

Buying one just seems masochistic.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Here's a setup from a video where some dudes were putting bullets through a gun when they didn't know what the result would be.

Standing behind a berm, pulling a string to pull a trigger, they put increasingly stupid handgun rounds through a .410 shotgun to figure out where it would fail.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hey it’s that shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAnbDvLIAac

The round they fired through that thing is rated for four times the pressure as the round the gun is designed to accept, and no doubt it went well over that because the bullet is ten percent larger than the barrel (!).

Not every gun will have that exceptional factor of safety, but Serbu didn’t even try.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 10, 2021

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

aphid_licker posted:

Is shooting a 50cal really that different in terms of the skill required etc than shooting a 22 or air rifle at some appropriately scaled down range? Dunno why you'd maximize the size of explosion you're setting off next to your face (and, as it turns out, your neck veins)

Bigger boolet makes bigger boom
Bigger boom is more fun
(someone please lend me a railway gun)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

Is shooting a 50cal really that different in terms of the skill required etc than shooting a 22 or air rifle at some appropriately scaled down range?
Yes, and significantly more exciting. A 22LR will basically tolerate any mistake from your part, and a thousand bucks gets you a rifle that very few shooters can fully utilize.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 10, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah, didn't watch the whole thing but is this that one that an OORAH type friend of mine was just telling me about where the shrapnel severed his jugular vein and the dude was a HARDASS MAN so he just stuck his thumb in it to plug it up and drank a beer or something

And now they sell JUST STICK YOUR THUMB IN IT t-shirts

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Data Graham posted:

Ah, didn't watch the whole thing but is this that one that an OORAH type friend of mine was just telling me about where the shrapnel severed his jugular vein and the dude was a HARDASS MAN so he just stuck his thumb in it to plug it up and drank a beer or something

And now they sell JUST STICK YOUR THUMB IN IT t-shirts

Yeah, but it was his father that saved his life and made him hold his thumb on his vein. Credits god for saving his life in the video though!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yikes. When he started talking about using his thumb to stop from bleeding out it made me a little sick just imagining having to deal with that.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Gun Jesus all but directly said "a properly engineered firearm has multiple systems/pieces in place that any one of would have broken this chain."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71OGayW7CnI

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

toplitzin posted:

Gun Jesus all but directly said "a properly engineered firearm has multiple systems/pieces in place that any one of would have broken this chain."

Ah yes, my documentary.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

toplitzin posted:

"a properly engineered hazardous system, process, or piece of equipment has multiple systems/pieces in place that any one of would have broken this chain."

The thesis statement of every bad accident's post mortem investigation

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

toplitzin posted:

If I remember correctly, Ian tries really hard to not blame the gun itself, which is 90% to blame, but does still bring forward a few examples of much lower pressure guns that had safety measures for exactly this method of failure because it will gently caress the shooter up pretty badly. Yes, he was shooting super hot ammo, but even if it was double the pressure and failure was inevitable, it should have failed in a way that directs the explosion away from the face and neck

IIRC, this almost exactly what cost one of the Mausers his eye, and made his future locking mechanism designs much more robust

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blindeye posted:

The thesis statement of every bad accident's post mortem investigation

In the ISO 9001 quality system, it is never enough to simply say something is the root cause of a problem, you have to prove it. You can do this with a 5 why's or fish ladder chart, but both organizing tools rely on identifying multiple problems leading up to the accident. You stop digging for a root cause when you hit something that is systematically not changeable or run into a fundamental law of physics.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yikes. When he started talking about using his thumb to stop from bleeding out it made me a little sick just imagining having to deal with that.

Now let's talk about hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

aphid_licker posted:

The difficulty of hitting a target at long range goes up nonlinearly with range.

That said if someone really wants to shoot long range, which is the only meaningful purpose for a round that large, there are rounds that are notable superior to the .50. The .338 Lapua is a smaller cartridge that is basically superior in every single way for long distance shooting. In long range shooting competitions the sport is generally ruled by 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm rounds out to 1000 yards.

Basically, the only people who ever want a .50 are video game and 80s/90s bad movie loving jackasses that want to spend more per shot and per gun for inferior performance, entirely because ".50 IS AWESOME BRO!"

They are the gun equivalent of barbed wire tattoo sporting coal rolling bro truck people.