Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Class3KillStorm posted:

Charge your phone.

don't do it. its a trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

RFC2324 posted:

don't do it. its a trick

Get an axe

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Class3KillStorm posted:

Charge your phone.

No.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Eat hot chip and lie?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also it’s not my phone!

S/O is in bed and phone is charging.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rohan boys make do.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm tapping and nothing is happening

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Rohan boys make do.
Riders on the corn.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Drone_Fragger posted:

Gotta love america where you gotta tip for a bar server, who is literally paid to serve drinks, requiring a tip for the difficulty of doing their job.

Like I understand it's the "thing" in the states but holy hell your country is a dumpster fire for this type of thing.

yeah, i only tip people who do important work, like eg. landlords

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
tip them into the ocean

which is extra acidic due to all the car batteries thrown into it, a perfectly safe and legal thrill

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Stexils posted:

this is possibly the lowest bar ever

the vast majority of zombie stories are written by people who seem to just kind of hate humanity in general. like they think that the instant central authority collapses everyone will turn into a petty little self centered rear end in a top hat. even within the ultimate libertarian fantasy libertarian societies immediately fall apart
This is true of 99% of apocalypse fiction and it's due to a combination of laziness, cargo culting, and/or whatever flavour of bootstraps the author's politics subscribe to. Once our heroes overcome the initial obstacles then they have Mastered Nature and everything afterward can only cause a minor inconvenience at best. "Sometimes good and talented people do their best and do everything right but bad things still happen because of bad luck or even just things being too hard" is anathema to a lot of ideologies. So if they want additional obstacles the only remaining obstacle to turn to is "the bad people" or "the incompetent people" loving everything up, or turning a minor inconvenience into an actual issue. The only challenge to a good guy with a gun is a bad guy with a gun.

And yes, as it stands most bad things are caused or exacerbated by bad people (and "bad" people) or incompetent people loving everything up, but that's because we effectively live in a post scarcity society with uneven distribution, and even then.

I'll have fries and a double it's people the dollar menu is people, hold the sauce

Facebook Aunt posted:

That was always there in the background though, at least since the introduction of Harley Quinn. It isn't like he met some crazy lady in asylum and they fell in love.
Yeah, original flavour Harley Quinn just talked to the craziest crazy guy so much she caught crazy off him. Edgelord Harley Quinn let him torture her into insanity and brain damage? Which is better because

Splicer has a new favorite as of 11:07 on May 10, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I would want to read a book where people do everything right and things still go to poo poo. I already live in reality I don't need to spend my spare time consuming it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I would want to read a book where people do everything right and things still go to poo poo. I already live in reality I don't need to spend my spare time consuming it.

so you read only ya lit

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OwlFancier posted:

Careful now, you might have an incorrect emotion and be cast out of Twitter.

For me the problem with a lot of post-apocalypse fiction is either that it is basically patriot fiction but instead of it being Obummer's racemixing FEMA troopers, it's zombies or cultists or something -- OR, it's like two hundred years later, and everything still looks like a complete shithole.

It's understandable that you don't get stories about the long, boring stuff which would come from the dust settling and successor civilizations starting amongst the survivors. Not only is that going to involve a lot of tedium and very little cool action, it will rapidly become your own say-so, but without any exciting gun battles to conceal it.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Old harley is the only valid harley. Her jester outfit was cute as hell and already skin tight, she didnt need to be turned into a juggalette. Is she even still a doctor?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

That's what you have now though, it's just that everything goes to poo poo because bandits or the local religious cult show up or That Guy lets all the zombies in. Apocalypse fiction writers cannot seem to conceive of something challenging (not defeating, challenging) The Good Guys that's not Some Bad Guys.

(because existing apocalypse fiction is just wank fantasies about how (author's in group) would be super capable and could trivially solve all the world's problems if it weren't for (author's out group) getting in the way)

Nessus posted:

It's understandable that you don't get stories about the long, boring stuff which would come from the dust settling and successor civilizations starting amongst the survivors. Not only is that going to involve a lot of tedium and very little cool action, it will rapidly become your own say-so, but without any exciting gun battles to conceal it.
That only sounds boring because western culture has forgotten what it's like to not be in control. A well written final act of dealing with the aftermath of a (properly foreshadowed) flash flood wiping out the settlement's crops is exactly what I want to read about.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 13:06 on May 10, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Splicer posted:

That's what you have now though, it's just that everything goes to poo poo because bandits or the local religious cult show up or That Guy lets all the zombies in. Apocalypse fiction writers cannot seem to conceive of something challenging (not defeating, challenging) The Good Guys that's not Some Bad Guys.
It's either Man vs Nature or Man vs Subhuman Demonrats, and they've prepped for the zombie plague/soviet first strike/emp/race war already so the author can't use the first one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's either Man vs Nature or Man vs Subhuman Demonrats, and they've prepped for the zombie plague/soviet first strike/emp/race war already so the author can't use the first one.
Yup. See edit.

e: but also they don't see man vs nature as an actual challenge because who's scared of nature? Nature is easy *sits in air conditioned home office wearing clothes made by slave labour thousands of miles away eating food grown with chemicals he can't even pronounce cheerfully handwaving away feeding hundreds of people in the dustbowl with "the nerds set up an irrigation system or something, so anyway I took up my m16 carbine and went after wild boar"*

Splicer has a new favorite as of 13:04 on May 10, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nessus posted:

The book "Station Eleven" is interesting because it's set just before, and twenty years after, a pandemic kills most of the population. Characters talk about or elude to the awful poo poo that happened in the couple of decades post collapse, but civilisation is already starting to bounce back to the point where it's dangerous but viable to exist as a band of travelling musicians that also act as a slow-motion postal service between settlements and at the end of the book, there's one settlement that's managed to bring their electrical grid back online.

Its thesis is that yeah, poo poo would absolutely suck and some people would be murderous raiders but that's not sustainable forever.
People are a) smart, b) work together, and c) always want to make their lives better with music and stories and art, even at the worst of times.

whoops, this is the meme thread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Splicer posted:

That only sounds boring because western culture has forgotten what it's like to not be in control. A well written final act of dealing with the aftermath of a (properly foreshadowed) flash flood wiping out the settlement's crops is exactly what I want to read about.

This, again, is life, an endless torrent of unpleasant things happening to you that you would really like not to happen but which you have no control over and you have to react to it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The book "Station Eleven" is interesting because it's set just before, and twenty years after, a pandemic kills most of the population. Characters talk about or elude to the awful poo poo that happened in the couple of decades post collapse, but civilisation is already starting to bounce back to the point where it's dangerous but viable to exist as a band of travelling musicians that also act as a slow-motion postal service between settlements and at the end of the book, there's one settlement that's managed to bring their electrical grid back online.

Its thesis is that yeah, poo poo would absolutely suck and some people would be murderous raiders but that's not sustainable forever.
People are a) smart, b) work together, and c) always want to make their lives better with music and stories and art, even at the worst of times.

whoops, this is the meme thread.

50% of the book is about The Bad People (cult variant) led by The Worst Bad Person (pseudo Christian prophet variant) loving everything up for the main characters. Station Eleven is my go to example of "I am enjoying this OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE" apocalypse fiction.

E: This IS the meme thread

Splicer has a new favorite as of 13:02 on May 10, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bismuth posted:

Old harley is the only valid harley. Her jester outfit was cute as hell and already skin tight, she didnt need to be turned into a juggalette. Is she even still a doctor?

The adult cartoon version of her is great too and not much edgier than the TAS version.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Splicer posted:

Yup. See edit.

e: but also they don't see man vs nature as am actually challenge because who's scared of nature? Nature is easy *sits in air conditioned home office wearing clothes made by slave labour thousands of miles away eating food grown with chemicals he can't even pronounce cheerfully handwaving away feeding hundreds of people in the dustbowl with "the nerds set up an irrigation system or something, so anyway I took up my m16 carbine and went after wild boar"*
getting owned by nature is for losers who don't edc tactically

and it's not officewear it's grey man camouflage

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

This, again, is life, an endless torrent of unpleasant things happening to you that you would really like not to happen but which you have no control over and you have to react to it.
Much like my posting

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I love the Gandalf memes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

From living in lefty communes for a while I would 100% believe a post-apocalypse story where the survivors fall apart because of ideological infighting that keeps interfering with people who are actually trying to keep everyone’s needs met

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kit Walker posted:

From living in lefty communes for a while I would 100% believe a post-apocalypse story where the survivors fall apart because of ideological infighting that keeps interfering with people who are actually trying to keep everyone’s needs met

My friend used to live in an anarchist commune, and one of the challenges they had to face one month in was trying to convince one of the members not to piss in the kitchen sink. Later they tried to vote him out, but he also supplied weed, so had many friends in the commune. Eventually, all capable members left, and the remaining troubled youth burned down the house in a drug-fuelled bender.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Paladinus posted:

My friend used to live in an anarchist commune, and one of the challenges they had to face one month in was trying to convince one of the members not to piss in the kitchen sink. Later they tried to vote him out, but he also supplied weed, so had many friends in the commune. Eventually, all capable members left, and the remaining troubled youth burned down the house in a drug-fuelled bender.

bet they wished that the fascists hadn't banned pissing then

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Paladinus posted:

lmao, that sounds about right. Communities that specifically try to avoid hierarchy often end up having one person who gets a lot of power by simply being popular, and then running the place into the ground over petty conflicts

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
For what it's worth his next commune was much better and only broke up when the majority of members started families and moved out.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Paladinus posted:

...was this in Massachusettes?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

...was this in Massachusettes?

No, Belgium. But I could see it being a common problem.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kit Walker posted:

lmao, that sounds about right. Communities that specifically try to avoid hierarchy often end up having one person who gets a lot of power by simply being popular, and then running the place into the ground over petty conflicts

This feels like the history of humanity in a nutshell.

Fallout oddly enough comes to mind as being more optimistic for post-apocalyptic fiction, but mostly because the best thing that can happen is the kind of society that ended up destroying itself being completely forgotten and moved on past.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This feels like the history of humanity in a nutshell.

Fallout oddly enough comes to mind as being more optimistic for post-apocalyptic fiction, but mostly because the best thing that can happen is the kind of society that ended up destroying itself being completely forgotten and moved on past.

They don't clean up their skeletons in Fallout. Just leaving them for a hundred years laying on the bed in weird poses...

Unless they are just posing them like that for fun...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I had an abundance of skeletons I would put them in silly poses.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OwlFancier posted:

If I had an abundance of skeletons I would put them in silly poses.

You're already doing it with just the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
just lol if you don't carefully pose yourself to provide environmental storytelling in the event of your sudden death