Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Orvin posted:

For another data point, in Illinois, the Dresden Nuclear station is slated to be shut down later this year. Jackson Generation is 1.2 GW of combined cycle gas fired generation that comes online in a month or two a couple miles away. Also, ground was just broken on Three Rivers Energy Center, another gas generation site. This one you can see from the entrance of Dresden.

There is some talk of getting some money out of the Illinois government to save Dresden and Byron stations, but it is seeming pretty doubtful that anything is going to happen fast enough. Definitely going to laugh/cry when the price of natural gas starts shooting up, taking the price of power with it.

Biden is talking about subsidies for Nuclear, so I've got my fingers crossed.

But yeah, we're doubling down on Fossil Fuels pretty hard overall...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

We’re basically doing the worst possible thing for everyone right now through a mix of replacing nuclear with fossil fuels and attempting to keep very old reactors running.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

We’re basically doing the worst possible thing for everyone right now through a mix of replacing nuclear with fossil fuels and attempting to keep very old reactors running.

There's been studies showing that even older reactors are not suffering from neutron embrittlement as much as was thought would be the case, so there's little reason to decommission them rather than refurbish them and keep them in service.

Basically, any nuclear decom'ed right now rather than decom'ing a natural gas or coal plant is practically an environmental crime.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

There's been studies showing that even older reactors are not suffering from neutron embrittlement as much as was thought would be the case, so there's little reason to decommission them rather than refurbish them and keep them in service.

Basically, any nuclear decom'ed right now rather than decom'ing a natural gas or coal plant is practically an environmental crime.

The main problem with older reactors is that they have less or older safety systems preventing catastrophic failure, isn't it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lurking Haro posted:

The main problem with older reactors is that they have less or older safety systems preventing catastrophic failure, isn't it?

Not really, no. even Gen I/II PWR/BWRs have about the same safety systems and most still in operation have been upgraded with newer safety systems to address things found from TMI and other events. We've been rocking the same designs for a long time, hell the Votgle 3 and 4 reactors are the newest ones built, and the only American examples of the AP1000 Gen IIIs which itself is based on legacy designs, all others are basically Westinghouse designs or variants like System 80 from Combustion Engineering from the Gen II era.

All operating American nuclear plants are required to have sufficient safety systems to handle loss of coolant or loss of offsite power events without issue.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Biden is talking about subsidies for Nuclear, so I've got my fingers crossed.

But yeah, we're doubling down on Fossil Fuels pretty hard overall...

Everything I have been hearing is that anything Biden is proposing will not be signed in time to save Byron or Dresden. The only thing that can save them is action at the Illinois state level before the recess at the end of the month. I have no idea on the progress on any bills moving through the state legislature. The Illinois governor has seemed hopeful of getting something pushed through, but it is getting kinda late for this.

I do kinda wonder what having two nuclear stations being decommissioned at the same time does for Exelon’s plans to spin off all their generation into it’s own company in early 2022. I think conventional wisdom is that money would be found to somehow save the Byron station, possibly at the expense of Dresden. Considering Byron is one of the “newer” stations in the country, and Dresden is one of the oldest.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

CommieGIR posted:

California shutting down Diablo Canyon is a loving travesty

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

California shutting down Diablo Canyon is a loving travesty

FTFY

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Orvin posted:

For another data point, in Illinois, the Dresden Nuclear station is slated to be shut down later this year. Jackson Generation is 1.2 GW of combined cycle gas fired generation that comes online in a month or two a couple miles away. Also, ground was just broken on Three Rivers Energy Center, another gas generation site. This one you can see from the entrance of Dresden.

There is some talk of getting some money out of the Illinois government to save Dresden and Byron stations, but it is seeming pretty doubtful that anything is going to happen fast enough. Definitely going to laugh/cry when the price of natural gas starts shooting up, taking the price of power with it.

Tbf exelon threatened to close quad cities the exact same way about 8 years ago. It's probably just posturing. Probably.

CommieGIR posted:

Unfortunately we're reaching the point climate wise where we really have no alternative: Germany's green revolution is a flop and is largely doubling down on fossil fuels via Nordstream 2, nuclear is the only viable way to get fossils off the grid. Between that and things like closing Indian Point in New York, which is already slated to be replaced by Natural Gas plants, any talk of a non-nuclear baseload is practically bait-and-switch to support fossil fuels.

We are not cheaping our way out of the Anthropocene, and maybe its time we hold Power Generation and Fossil companies accountable by forcing them to finance nuclear via subsidies or other incentives or remove For-Profits from the picture entirely. Nationalize the Grid.
I have Doubts that a movement to nationalize the grid would produce meaningful progress faster than supporting development of modular factory-assembled commercial reactors.

And even if we were to nationalize, that doesn't fix the timeline problems associated with the siting and construction of APWRs. GW plants are a decade-long project from planning to power production. It takes more than negating the fiscal risk to make them happen.

Changing regulations to make it easier to site and construct the plants needs to happen, but holy poo poo I don't know who I would trust to be a responsible steward of that endeavor.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pander posted:

Tbf exelon threatened to close quad cities the exact same way about 8 years ago. It's probably just posturing. Probably.

That’s what everyone figured at first. But when they did that with Quad, their CEO hadn’t just taken a quick retirement to try and avoid being drawn into state official bribery investigations. That’s why it’s all coming down to the wire. ComEd and Exelon were toxic last year for politicians to do anything with or for.

And with some of how the PJM market rules changed last year, I do think that nuclear is not as competitive if they can’t get capacity payments.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Being competitive in a Climate Emergency is probably the worst idea in the world, and that's part of the problem is continuing to feed the myth that we have time for for-profits to figure out how to compete rather than doing what is right.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

CommieGIR posted:

Being competitive in a Climate Emergency is probably the worst idea in the world, and that's part of the problem is continuing to feed the myth that we have time for for-profits to figure out how to compete rather than doing what is right.
The issue is there is no realistic path to nationalizing our energy grid. We've got the most progressive govt we could have realistically expected and I don't recall hearing a peep in that direction. Like, what's the plan, that the GND could somehow pump enough renewables in there to fix things?

Really don't see how we go from not having enough support to even pass a meager GND clear over to nationalizing the grid and generation.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
‘nationalize it’ is a mantra

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Biden issues Emergency Waivers after a Cyber Attack knocked The Colonial Pipeline offline with ransomware.

quote:

The Colonial Pipeline carries 2.5 million barrels a day - 45% of the East Coast's supply of diesel, gasoline and jet fuel.

It was completely knocked offline by a cyber-criminal gang on Friday and is still working to restore service.

The emergency status enables fuel to be transported by road.

A total of 18 states have been granted a temporary hours of service waiver for transporting gasoline, diesel, jet fuel and other refined petroleum products.

They are Alabama, Arkansas, District of Columbia, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.

Experts say fuel prices are likely to rise 2-3% on Monday, but the impact will be far worse if it goes on for much longer.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So there are people with the capably of remotely hacking an oil pipeline and shutting it down, but the only ones who do so are just looking to make a quick buck, not trying to disrupt fossil fuel infrastructure to force action on climate change?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bawfuls posted:

So there are people with the capably of remotely hacking an oil pipeline and shutting it down, but the only ones who do so are just looking to make a quick buck, not trying to disrupt fossil fuel infrastructure to force action on climate change?

There's not a whole lot of eco-hackers out there actually from what I've seen, there's usually some sort of profit motive or just malicious intent overall.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

bawfuls posted:

According to media, operational infrastructure was not affected. Only IT/office stuff.

And the environmental effects of this seem pretty bad cause they now have fallen back to using trucks to transport the fuel till the pipeline is operational again. The fuel must flow. Always.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GABA ghoul posted:

According to media, operational infrastructure was not affected. Only IT/office stuff.

They'd be using the pipeline if this was true. They are not. It was very much affected.

Most likely their ICS systems are on the same network as their IT/Office stuff. This is a terrible practice but is incredibly common in industrial settings because its cheap and easy.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 10, 2021

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

CommieGIR posted:

They'd be using the pipeline if this was true. They are not. It was very much affected.

Most likely their ICS systems are on the same network as their IT/Office stuff. This is a terrible practice but is incredibly common in industrial settings because its cheap and easy.

As an American poster, you never expect:
1. Your own Big Oil to lie to you, repeatedly
2. Your own Big Oil to hide information the public has a right to know
3. Your own Big Oil to spy on your communications

Trump's unAmerican Big Oil did all of these.
No one should accept this.

e: just a bit, and I couldn't quite stick the closing lines :(

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 10, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grace Baiting posted:

As an American poster, you never expect:
1. Your own Big Oil to lie to you, repeatedly
2. Your own Big Oil to hide information the public has a right to know
3. Your own Big Oil to spy on your communications

Trump's unAmerican Big Oil did all of these.
No one should accept this.

This is sarcasm, right?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/1391524279540490240

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Don't worry, it won't happen again

https://twitter.com/ddd1ms/status/1391741147001892869?s=20

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

https://twitter.com/HowellONeill/status/1391760349708406784

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/Bing_Chris/status/1391796025392877571?s=20

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Good work IT!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

Good work IT!

Yeah, pretty good if they caught it before it got that far.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The problem is they could turn on the pipeline right now but their billing system is part of the business network, so unless they want to give out free oil, trucks it is.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
We should start a restoration timeline pool.

Im in at May 20th.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

SpaceCadetBob posted:

We should start a restoration timeline pool.

Im in at May 20th.

June 8th after 5 truck spills

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Yes!.

I mean, no... this does not seem cool to my non-nuclear physicist mind at all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

Yes!.

Its really slow, and was not unexpected as water recedes. Part of why they put sensors all over the place inside the chamber.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

CommieGIR posted:

Its really slow, and was not unexpected as water recedes. Part of why they put sensors all over the place inside the chamber.

Right, and as the article states there is no real reason to worry yet; however, I never understood that there was a non-zero, and non-negligible chance that an uncontrolled reaction could happen with corium at Chernobyl.

That last bit is just a tinsy bit scary. More so probably if you live in Europe, or gods forbid, the Ukraine.

Edit

Given the amount of water they are still pouring over the remains of the reactors in Fukushima, I probably should have realized that the corium at Chernobyl could still be dangerous above and beyond idiots vacationing in the exclusion zone.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 11, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

Right, and as the article states there is no real reason to worry yet; however, I never understood that there was a non-zero, and non-negligible chance that an uncontrolled reaction could happen with corium at Chernobyl.

That last bit is just a tinsy bit scary. More so probably if you live in Europe, or gods forbid, the Ukraine.

Edit

Given the amount of water they are still pouring over the remains of the reactors in Fukushima, I probably should have realized that the corium at Chernobyl could still be dangerous above and beyond idiots vacationing in the exclusion zone.

Even if a reaction kicks off, for the most part the fuel density is no longer there to really get a massive reaction going, at worst it'll probably mean you have a hot spot, what I'm more curious is how they'll handle the fission products that may result form such.
We have a Nuclear Energy thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916500&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ZombieLenin posted:

Yes!.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense:

quote:

One suggestion for why this is happening is that a new structure placed over the ruined reactor in 2016 is causing the plant to dry out. When uranium or plutonium fuel decay radioactively, they emit neutrons, which can promote a fission reaction if the neutrons are captured by another radioactive nuclei. However, large amounts of water slow these neutrons down, preventing them from being captured.

That's the opposite of how it works. The capture cross section is *higher* for thermal neutrons than it is for fast neutrons, which is why water is so frequently used as a moderator in reactor design; in U238 the cross-section is about 2.6 barns for thermal neutrons and only about 1 barn for 10 MeV neutrons. In U235 the cross section is enormously higher for thermal neutrons than for fast neutrons, it's hundreds of barns for thermal neutrons and only a few for fast. If the plant is drying out, then reactivity should decrease due to less moderation, not increase. Water also serves as a neutron reflector, so a way to increase reactivity of your core is just putting it in a tank of water, so that neutrons that would otherwise leave without being captured bounce back and get a second chance to cause a reaction. This is in fact how a number of criticality incidents have taken place: the core is subcritical until a person, essentially a big sack of water, gets too close to it and the additional neutrons that are now entering the core having reflected off the person now cause an excursion.

ZombieLenin posted:

Enh, positive feedback loops are rare in nature. Whatever bit of material is reaching criticality's going to heat up, expand, and make it less likely that the chain reaction will continue. If it gets hot enough to melt then it'll find some lower level, spread out, and the reaction'll stop. This is the kind of thing you're going to see with detectors, it's not going to mean much of anything outside the plant.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 11, 2021

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Phanatic posted:

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense:

That was my half assed attempt to try and make a joke about how people, including myself, are attracted to--or only pay attention to--negative news about things like this; however, the reality is--especially from my relatively uneducated position reading articles like this--that this sounds scary as gently caress, and we tend to work ourselves up about the possible negative repercussions of things, even if those things are not very likely to produce the most negative results possible.

So it isn't supposed to make sense.

quote:

hat's the opposite of how it works. The capture cross section is *higher* for thermal neutrons than it is for fast neutrons, which is why water is so frequently used as a moderator in reactor design; in U238 the cross-section is about 2.6 barns for thermal neutrons and only about 1 barn for 10 MeV neutrons. In U235 the cross section is enormously higher for thermal neutrons than for fast neutrons, it's hundreds of barns for thermal neutrons and only a few for fast. If the plant is drying out, then reactivity should decrease due to less moderation, not increase. Water also serves as a neutron reflector, so a way to increase reactivity of your core is just putting it in a tank of water, so that neutrons that would otherwise leave without being captured bounce back and get a second chance to cause a reaction. This is in fact how a number of criticality incidents have taken place: the core is subcritical until a person, essentially a big sack of water, gets too close to it and the additional neutrons that are now entering the core having reflected off the person now cause an excursion.

I think he and I read the same article, and I may have interpreted it differently. Yes, the article implied that the water helps to capture free neutrons, but I also got the very distinct impression that another mechanism of action the water getting into the room was providing was keeping the levels of free floating dust made out of fissile material down, and as the water disappears fissile material dust gets kicked up in the room making fission reactions more likely.

That being said, I could be totally wrong--it was just my impression. My understanding of the science of nuclear power generation is probably about as good as a layman with no formal physics or chemistry background is going to get--meaning, in the grand scheme of things, I have the nuclear science equivalent of a third grade understanding of how this poo poo actually works. From the way you're discussing it, it seems my interpretation of that article might be wrong as you seem to be saying the more diffuse the materials in that room are, the less likely a nuclear reaction should be--and dust seems pretty drat diffuse.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Occurred me to that since water also absorbs neutrons (which is why if you want to build a natural-uranium water-moderated reactor you need to use heavy water, D2O is way less likely to absorb a neutron than H2O is), so it's possible that the presence of water could result in the soaking up of enough neutrons to keep a reaction below critical, and then once the water evaporates you have enough neutrons to set up a chain reaction, but generally the additional activity it brings to the table by being a moderator more than offsets its tendency to absorb neutrons. This could be one of those exceptions to "generally."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Occurred me to that since water also absorbs neutrons (which is why if you want to build a natural-uranium water-moderated reactor you need to use heavy water, D2O is way less likely to absorb a neutron than H2O is), so it's possible that the presence of water could result in the soaking up of enough neutrons to keep a reaction below critical, and then once the water evaporates you have enough neutrons to set up a chain reaction, but generally the additional activity it brings to the table by being a moderator more than offsets its tendency to absorb neutrons. This could be one of those exceptions to "generally."

You also have to assume there's a lot of buried chunks of graphite among the corium that is helping moderate any neutrons generated by leftover fissile materials.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Hope this growth rate keeps up

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/11/renewables-grew-at-fastest-rate-in-two-decades-last-year-iea-says-in-new-report.html

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
edit nm, thing was already mentioned in thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Guess what else grew? Fossil fuel usage. The growth rate of renewables is practically inline with increased electricity usage, nullifying most of the growth.