Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You are welcome! This is all really quick for me. I did a bit of camping in my youth with Boy Scouts and my local church youth group but my dad? Not really. We did a couple times when it was a tiny kid but that was it. I have been married for 12 years and we never camped. We would do simple hikes and outdoor stuff, but never camping. Two years ago I bought my first Lexus LX 470 and it was my first venture into off roading which was very addictive. Then I got a roof tent, and started camping and we loved it, and our kids loved it. There are a lot of good and bad about the roof tent set up and I had known about little micro campers like this but my wife didn't. Her best friend we are close with ordered a Happier Camper HC1 (another small teardrop fiberglass trailer) that she picked up this February. I told my wife about the Bean and showed her some photos/videos and she said "I wouldn't say no to that" which basically meant yes in husband language. So in the course of two years I have bought two 470's (after the first one got crashed), have been building out the second one, became a camping person, and spent almost thirty grand on a tiny little tear drop trailer that I hope to use two times a month through spring/fall.

Sounds very similar to my background - do the kids come along with this one? Do you make them sleep outside?

What was good and bad about the roof tent setup? The new Bronco is the first car I've looked at in a while and actually wanted, at least partly due to the idea of going outside more that it represents (it has a roof tent option that I was considering).

I'm less interested in off roading and more just the going out into nature bit, which is easy to do up here in the PNW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012
So this is now making its way up to me here in the Highlands.

No, it's not an AMG, despite the wheels, suspension, rolled arches and etc. It was apparently used as a press car for Mercedes to demo the E55 AMG before the E55 had made it over here or some poo poo. Mainly I just want something to eat up the motorway miles that neither the 80 series Land Cruiser nor the NA6 Roadster are really that good for.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

I HATE PINK BIKES posted:

No, it's not an AMG, despite the wheels, suspension, rolled arches and etc. It was apparently used as a press car for Mercedes to demo the E55 AMG before the E55 had made it over here or some poo poo. Mainly I just want something to eat up the motorway miles that neither the 80 series Land Cruiser nor the NA6 Roadster are really that good for.
Those AMG monoblocks are :kiss:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So I bought myself a dumb car to cheer myself up as i've been pretty down lately.

It gets gently caress all mileage.

It's got a white/grey (I live in the UK and its been so overcast when it happens that i can't tell for sure) smoke problem that's happened twice in the past month where i'll be driving and it'll bellow it out of the exhaust, but then it stops and I haven't quite worked out what the hell it is yet, but whatever it is i'm sure its expensive :shrug:

It's low enough that I can't really go over speed bumps without scraping anything so i have to be really careful about my journeys.

But whatever its fun to drive and its mine.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ahaha HELL YES

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

dogstile posted:

So I bought myself a dumb car to cheer myself up as i've been pretty down lately.

It's got a white/grey (I live in the UK and its been so overcast when it happens that i can't tell for sure) smoke problem that's happened twice in the past month where i'll be driving and it'll bellow it out of the exhaust, but then it stops and I haven't quite worked out what the hell it is yet, but whatever it is i'm sure its expensive :shrug:

It's low enough that I can't really go over speed bumps without scraping anything so i have to be really careful about my journeys.

This is amazing, excellent work.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Fully sick

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Man it took me a moment to notice the underlighting due to the doors. Do they open normally or is your car now 100% silly doors?

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012

got off on a technicality posted:

Those AMG monoblocks are :kiss:

Everybody loves the monoblocks but they're top of the list to go for me!

I forgot to post a pic of it with it's old stablemates. It's amazing how much the car has devalued, the guy I purchased it off of got it for £1k last year.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Man it took me a moment to notice the underlighting due to the doors. Do they open normally or is your car now 100% silly doors?

Well, if I really want i can kinda half open and not lift them up...

It's 100% silly doors.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

We want more pics

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bape Culture posted:

We want more pics

Yeah especially interior

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I HATE PINK BIKES posted:

Everybody loves the monoblocks but they're top of the list to go for me!

I forgot to post a pic of it with it's old stablemates. It's amazing how much the car has devalued, the guy I purchased it off of got it for £1k last year.

My old man had one as a company car, P reg if I remember rightly which puts it around 1996. What engine/trim is yours?

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012

Theophany posted:

My old man had one as a company car, P reg if I remember rightly which puts it around 1996. What engine/trim is yours?

It's a 1997 E430 with:

quote:

774 Chassis modified for AMG handling.
791 AMG 18” wheels all round.
808 AMG 06/ 1 M// X
275 Memory package. Drivers seat. Steering column. Mirrors.
241 Passenger seat, electric with memory.
405 Multi-contour driver seat with pneumatic lumbar adjustment.
873 Seat heater left/ right
810 Sound System Bose
511 Radio MB Exquisit
819 CD Multi-changer
551 Anti Theft System
354 Antenna for telephone
313 Charging station for Cellphone
431 3 point rear centre belt
500 Powerfold mirrors
472 Electric Stability Program
691 Blue heat insulating glass

Apparently it's got all the options bar the sunroof. Which is nice, because a w210 rusts in enough places as it is.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Is the charging station for the phone one of those 'obsolete at launch' Nokia charging cradles? I remember my old man having to carry around a Nokia 6210 for years after it was relevant to use the phone in his car. :allears:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

dogstile posted:

I know we all know what this car is but just in case some real dumb guys come in here you guys should list what kind of car this is.

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012

Theophany posted:

Is the charging station for the phone one of those 'obsolete at launch' Nokia charging cradles? I remember my old man having to carry around a Nokia 6210 for years after it was relevant to use the phone in his car. :allears:

The car's not turning up until tomorrow, but from everything I've read so far I believe so, yep! It wasn't until the facelift that they got COMAND, which would've at least given me the option to hack something into the system.

As it is I'll probably rip the whole thing out, maybe replace it with a double-din unit from a facelift — depending on the price and if I can find a black ash trim piece to fit — for a nice bluetooth carplay touchscreen experience

EDIT: the more I keep seeing that RX8 the more amazing touches I discover on it. It's like a time capsule of a time from before the car itself was even made

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I took a few more pictures: https://imgur.com/a/egqQpp3

Cage posted:

I know we all know what this car is but just in case some real dumb guys come in here you guys should list what kind of car this is.

Good shout, its an RX-8

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The PO really liked red huh

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

dogstile posted:

I took a few more pictures: https://imgur.com/a/egqQpp3

Good shout, its an RX-8

Hell yes. Welcome to the club!

Is the Need for Speed Underground theme song playing in anyone elses head right now?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

Is the Need for Speed Underground theme song playing in anyone elses head right now?

usually is

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

dogstile posted:

Good shout, its an RX-8

You said it gets gently caress all mileage, but being an RX-8 that doesn't tell us if the actual engine is stock or is it modded and gets even worse mileage?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
It's an RX-8 so the terrible mileage it gets is oil mileage, not as well as fuel.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Engine's not been hosed with, but I get about 18MPG. Luckily I only live a few miles from work.

McTinkerson posted:

I actually burned a CD for this. I wanted the authentic 2004 experience.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

got off on a technicality posted:

Track day with the TT at PIR (west coast :v:)

Did you buy this from a guy in Houston who had the license plate "Kermit"?

Or are there just more TTSes in that color than I realized?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

dogstile posted:

Engine's not been hosed with, but I get about 18MPG. Luckily I only live a few miles from work.

Is this your first rotary? If so and you're truly only 3-5 miles from work, that will be a problem for the engine.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Aye, first rotary. One of my friends has been driving them/working on them (licensed mechanic) for a while, wouldn't have bought it without someone to talk to about it.

I take the long way, so it makes the trip about 10 miles + warmup time. I'll also be moving fairly soon, a little further away so it shouldn't be an issue for much longer.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

dogstile posted:

There is just a whole series of bad decisions all the way leading up to this which is exactly what this forum needs. PLEASE keep everyone updated here/general chat or something. This is so awesome.

havelock posted:

Sounds very similar to my background - do the kids come along with this one? Do you make them sleep outside?

What was good and bad about the roof tent setup? The new Bronco is the first car I've looked at in a while and actually wanted, at least partly due to the idea of going outside more that it represents (it has a roof tent option that I was considering).

I'm less interested in off roading and more just the going out into nature bit, which is easy to do up here in the PNW.

I have posted a fair bit in my thread on my experiences with the roof tent, and a link to a good detailed post can be viewed HERE. Short answer: roof tenting is awesome! But you are stuck in position unless you pack it all back up. As a family of 5, it was not as easy to unload/load up. Living in the PNW you should absolutely get into this, and the new Bronco is awesome, if it fit my three kids I would probably strongly consider one but the more likely move is a 200 series Land Cruiser.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have posted a fair bit in my thread on my experiences with the roof tent, and a link to a good detailed post can be viewed HERE. Short answer: roof tenting is awesome! But you are stuck in position unless you pack it all back up. As a family of 5, it was not as easy to unload/load up. Living in the PNW you should absolutely get into this, and the new Bronco is awesome, if it fit my three kids I would probably strongly consider one but the more likely move is a 200 series Land Cruiser.

Thanks - there's a lot here to dig into

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MetaJew posted:

Did you buy this from a guy in Houston who had the license plate "Kermit"?

Or are there just more TTSes in that color than I realized?
Bought new but it's one of the standard colors for the RS so may not be *that* rare

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

dogstile posted:

I actually burned a CD for this. I wanted the authentic 2004 experience.

The fantastic icing on the cake. I love this little detail. I also love the red circle cutting into the Bose head unit. And RED. RED EVERYWHERE. REEEEeeeeeeeDDDD!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Took the car out to pick up lunch today. Was nice to get out for a little bit - gorgeous day.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Postin' green Audis?

This one comes in different shades

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Just delivered to me 2005 Boxster S with full Porsche dealer service history, one owner and every option on the order sheet checked.

The paint does match, it is just the lights in the garage honest :v:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BigPaddy posted:

Just delivered to me 2005 Boxster S with full Porsche dealer service history, one owner and every option on the order sheet checked.
Congratulations!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

mik posted:

Postin' green Audis?

Hell yeah, OP. District Green? Looks great in varying light

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

mik posted:

Postin' green Audis?

Just saw a four door RS5 in the same paint today. Love it.

Someone call my boss and tell him to give me a raise so I can buy a new car in a good color.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

The paint does match, it is just the lights in the garage honest :v:

You're welcome.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

2014 Cayman S
One tank of gas
Two coffees
Three passes

I should drive it reverse next time though. Going clockwise puts the sun on the same side of the car all day. Also it definitely doesn't take five hours...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're welcome.

Will save that one. Might even get a go pro video of me sticking it into a canyon.