Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
What are good ttrpg discords these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

WHFRPG isn't really a setting where you'd have a all-races party. The whole setting is defined by its constant warring between species and cultures.

It's easy to frame as grogs being gross, but if a someone gets flak for wanting to play a good-aligned orc in a setting where "orcs massacred our village" is an evergreen backstory, its more likely misaligned expectations than hateful players.

There's no reason to get weird about it in D&D though.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

slap me and kiss me posted:

It's been close to a year since I was there, but so far I've found LANCER's PilotNET official server to be the best community for TTRPGs in general, not just its own system. Things might have changed but it is/was a great crowd.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's been close to a year since I was there, but so far I've found LANCER's PilotNET official server to be the best community for TTRPGs in general, not just its own system. Things might have changed but it is/was a great crowd.

Joined this, hopped into the ttrpg channel, and the first thing I saw was someone comparing D&D 5e to World of Warcraft. I think it's time to turn in my badge and gun and retire to the coast.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Joined this, hopped into the ttrpg channel, and the first thing I saw was someone comparing D&D 5e to World of Warcraft. I think it's time to turn in my badge and gun and retire to the coast.

I did say it's been a year. I unfortunately haven't found any good substitutes yet, in large part for a lack of trying or a lack of involvement in the couple I'm still in. I'll keep an eye out though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

You could always join the goon mtg server and talk about ttrpgs in the channel for that. We're mostly good people.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Some people want to play a more socially realistic D&D game, and a bunch of sentient species coexisting really messes with that. But D&D began as a very weird and eclectic mishmash of fantasy and sci-fi, and IMO nobody has ever made D&D work better as something in the vein of Harn than as something in the vein of the Dying Earth.

What truly disgusts me is the number of heartbreakers that have nonhumans, but only elves, dwarves, and halflings. Or games where the author clearly felt that they had to include elves, dwarves, and halflings along with cultures that are actually interesting at all. I'm totally bored with Tolkien But Grimdark.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's still a uselessly broad generalization but if you want to model medieval attitudes a little better, you should have a setting where nobody cares that their neighbor is an orc but if you come from the other village across the river you then gently caress you, buddy
:hmmyes:

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Yawgmoth posted:

You could always join the goon mtg server and talk about ttrpgs in the channel for that. We're mostly good people.

Would that I had that link anymore

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Are you sure they weren't making that comparison because (apparently) WoW is bad now?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Are you sure they weren't making that comparison because (apparently) WoW is bad now?

*has been for a decade

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Plutonis posted:

*has been for a decade

So I've heard.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

King of Solomon posted:

Best comedy argument: "Modern WoW is terrible [like editions that tried things], but 5E is like WoW classic, where WotC realized their mistakes and went back to what worked!"

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Fuego's is pretty good. https://discord.gg/S6RtcmX

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

jeeves posted:

This poo poo is why I asked, can’t tell if the game is good or if it is just so under printed that speculators are sitting on all of the product. *Futurama eye squint meme*

It seems fun but he's still got two or three boxes sitting around. That doesn't mean anything though since we're in bumfuck, ohio

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

TG Goon server 1, mostly RPGs: https://discord.gg/5BpxAQ6NPd
Rowan Rook and Decard for Spire and now Minerva: https://discord.gg/jMfpzqq3Kv
PbTA semi-official: https://discord.gg/fbndujrmqt
FitD semi-official: https://discord.gg/ntYXCW4Kcn
Largest one I know, but don't know what folks are actually like there: https://discord.gg/dsGNgRU

The second Goon server (which is mostly boardgames) and the Goon Indie server don't have public invite options ATM.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Treasure from the mines: Waiting for Gygax

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Legit like some of this. Probably the best session I've ever had was the PCs got confused by local politics and then got late night pizza while looking at the stars. May actually use "library hold just arrived" or "NPC thinks about hiring the players but reconsiders."

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

One time my players couldn't decide on a bounty to take so they ended up gambling for like 3 hours.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Our weird fun downtimes tend to be food and drink related. In that Maze campaign I ran a while back (that I've offered side commentary in the F&F thread based on our game, and is my only successful "long-form" game as GM), two of the times my players remember best are:
  • Trailing some dungeon maintenance keepers back down the steps from "heaven" to their home, getting treated as spirits, and having a nice dinner with the priestess and some temple folk
  • Finding the bar, taking a break from murderstoats and horrific aberrations, and just getting drunk talking over the events of the game and characterization
So I try to include these more introspective times in games now. Gives time to process things as characters.
Mixed success. But I try.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I once roleplayed an alien superhero who, when granted a human form to integrate with Earth locals, immediately used it to eat too many corn dogs and had to go back to base to lie down and try not to puke. This is a scene I remember pretty fondly. The disease is clearly already inside me.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

I once roleplayed an alien superhero who, when granted a human form to integrate with Earth locals, immediately used it to eat too many corn dogs and had to go back to base to lie down and try not to puke. This is a scene I remember pretty fondly. The disease is clearly already inside me.

I'm pretty sure every alien superhero is required by law to have at least one Earth food they are unreasonably obsessed with, so you're doing good work.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Corn dogs is a good choice too. Funny sounding name, got a midwestern and simple vibe that something "caviar" wouldn't, but it's not something as ubiquitous as "hamburger" or "pizza" in the American consciousness so it's still pretty strange. Very nice.

I actually kind of go back and forth about food in games tbh, mostly because I love food but have a pretty big dietary restriction none of my players share (vegan), so there's a bit of an emotional disconnect over what different food products mean. But I guess I'm GMing so they can suck it up and deal with falafels and veggie burritos being the main comfort foods.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tsilkani posted:

I'm pretty sure every alien superhero is required by law to have at least one Earth food they are unreasonably obsessed with, so you're doing good work.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

"No, wait! You didn't wash your hands!"

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Tsilkani posted:

This explains a lot about Garfield.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
If anyone follows my stuff or Mork Borg stuff or even OSR stuff in general, my book of d8 Supernatural Hirelings, EVERY GOD WILL FALL, is shipping some physical copies Monday. 8 pages, full color, totally gameable (or so I've been told). Get yourself a copy! (Also include your address in the paypal in case that's not obvious) https://twitter.com/TheEldritchTomb/status/1389846977303752704?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tsilkani posted:

You leave Martian Manhunter and his love of Oreos alone!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I mean, I am neither an alien nor a superhero and I also love Oreos.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hey anyone read the new(ish) Usagi Yojimbo RPG? It's still by Sanguine like the last one from over a decade ago, but it looks like it's PBtA. I'm curious how it turned out. Have they ever done PBtA before?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

That Old Tree posted:

Hey anyone read the new(ish) Usagi Yojimbo RPG? It's still by Sanguine like the last one from over a decade ago, but it looks like it's PBtA. I'm curious how it turned out. Have they ever done PBtA before?

I have, and I was considering doing an F&F of it at some point after I finish Legends of the Wulin. My impression was that it's not actually a very good implementation of PbtA mechanics, but if you approach it as "a game that took some inspiration from PbtA mechanics" rather than "a PbtA game," it's pretty good.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

GimpInBlack posted:

I have, and I was considering doing an F&F of it at some point after I finish Legends of the Wulin. My impression was that it's not actually a very good implementation of PbtA mechanics, but if you approach it as "a game that took some inspiration from PbtA mechanics" rather than "a PbtA game," it's pretty good.

This is both tantalizing and concerning.

I'll probably end up buying it anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wish my copy of the Greg Stolze edition hadn't vanished into the ether.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I just released a major update to Dicier, my analog game icon typeface—it adds d4, d8, d10, d12, d20, and a bunch of other features, tweaks, and changes:

Check out the devlog for more info!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
That reminds me - what's a good iPhone dice rolling app? I used to use a now-discontinued one that had an little old-style widget you could just tap various buttons on to roll a d6 or a d20 or whatever without fully going into the app. Anything like that out there now?

A plain interface without physics engines and fantasy art would be nice. Just something I can instantly roll a couple of dice with and dismiss.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

90s Cringe Rock posted:

That reminds me - what's a good iPhone dice rolling app? I used to use a now-discontinued one that had an little old-style widget you could just tap various buttons on to roll a d6 or a d20 or whatever without fully going into the app. Anything like that out there now?

A plain interface without physics engines and fantasy art would be nice. Just something I can instantly roll a couple of dice with and dismiss.

Honestly Google's dice roller in the browser search does just fine for simple rolling if you only need it locally. Though that's not a widget, it may be a solution that happens to take no local storage or anything else.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

SkyeAuroline posted:

Honestly Google's dice roller in the browser search does just fine for simple rolling if you only need it locally. Though that's not a widget, it may be a solution that happens to take no local storage or anything else.
Ugh. Yeah, but it means switching to the browser and switching to a new tab and typing in roll 2d6 or whatever. It's not much hassle, but there has to be a better way than this extremely minor inconvenience.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Ugh. Yeah, but it means switching to the browser and switching to a new tab and typing in roll 2d6 or whatever. It's not much hassle, but there has to be a better way than this extremely minor inconvenience.

Most likely. I don't play in person much and that's the workaround we've used in the rare occasions a die I didn't have on hand was necessary. Beyond that others will have better ideas.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

i'm like half surprised google has an integrated dice roller and half not because of course they have random nerd poo poo in there too

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Dice by Pcalc: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dice-by-pcalc/id1468680083

Has a widget. Easy to use although it is a 3D roller. Lots of customization available but it’s not required, you can just tap and go. Been supported for a couple of years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sophie's Dice is my favourite dice roller for basically any purpose. I have it on Android (and PC desktop) but I'm 99% sure you can get it on the app store as well.