Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm not fully convinced that it's an affordability question because on an anecdotal level because my dad made probably twice as much money as his dad and I make twice as much money as my dad makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not fully convinced that it's an affordability question because on an anecdotal level because my dad made probably twice as much money as his dad and I make twice as much money as my dad makes.

Fair enough, my dad is way more well off than I'll ever be.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's essentially breaking if you assume a generation is 20 years at 3% growth. If the generations are farther apart then that then you are behind.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think part of the reason is that cars were less reliable, so buying them more often was a sort of hedge against that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Murgos posted:

That's essentially breaking if you assume a generation is 20 years at 3% growth. If the generations are farther apart then that then you are behind.

I make twice as much money as my dad makes at half his age so I don't think I'm behind.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I think part of the reason is that cars were less reliable, so buying them more often was a sort of hedge against that.

'In the United States, the Environmental Protection Agency assumes the typical car is driven 24,000 kilometres (15,000 miles) per year. According to the New York Times, in the 1960s and 1970s, the typical car reached its end of life around 161,000 kilometres (100,000 miles), but due to manufacturing improvements in the 2000s, such as tighter tolerances and better anti-corrosion coatings, the typical car lasts closer to 322,000 kilometres (200,000 miles)'

So, 6ish to 13ish years. Jives with my recollections of 80s cars being pretty much done by the time you paid them off.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I make twice as much money as my dad makes at half his age so I don't think I'm behind.

I was teasing you. Wasn't being serious.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

its a weird and bad flex post by me

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I make 4x as much as your dad, Ken.

Get rekt

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My dad exclusively buys used and occasionally salvage cars he has his friend repair and drives them anywhere between 6-10 years. His best was probably a 1999 Passat he bought in 2001. He got rid of it with 230k miles in 2018 or so.

He has never bought a new car.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

My dad exclusively buys used and occasionally salvage cars he has his friend repair and drives them anywhere between 6-10 years. His best was probably a 1999 Passat he bought in 2001. He got rid of it with 230k miles in 2018 or so.

He has never bought a new car.

This is The Way, my personal best is taking a 98 v6 accord from 147k to 280k 2008-2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I stopped talking to my dad 4-5 years ago but uh I have a very different experience lmao.

He had a blue 85ish? hardbody king cab that he put like 300k miles on commuting 100 miles a day for most of its life until it basically rusted away then got a hand me down 92 s10 single cab from my grandpa, those are the only two cars I ever knew him to have in 25 years. Also that hardbody still ran and he sold it for a grand to someone taking it to a ranch in mexico

My mom had a few more cars, but more because they got hit, late 80s civic hatch, 90s camry wagon, two 850 wagons and then currently a JSW. I think JSW was the 'newest' car she ever bought and it was 3-4 years old at the time.

Buying a new new car is such a wild concept to me, really is a different like world almost to me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Buying a new new car is such a wild concept to me, really is a different like world almost to me.

I'm in this boat also, I literally cannot fathom it. I would immediately feel cold dread. I can't imagine buying something for that much money that does the same thing pretty much just as well as something that costs a fraction of that price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I'm in this boat also, I literally cannot fathom it. I would immediately feel cold dread. I can't imagine buying something for that much money that does the same thing pretty much just as well as something that costs a fraction of that price.

at some point down this path lies Prius ownership

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

VelociBacon posted:

you like my car?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the VW dealership is mad at me because they are bringing in the car but I decided to back out

I'm sure they can sell it to someone else

I feel a little bad for the salesperson, but mainly because he's new and has the same name as me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lol come on man

it's a hot market, they'll sell it in a couple weeks max

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

you like my car?

Looks bad

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah seriously, gently caress dealerships, they just wanted your extended warranty money.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol come on man

it's a hot market, they'll sell it in a couple weeks max

yeah no doubt

but what if your salesperson's name was also KYOON GRIFFEY JR? i feel there might be an emotional connection

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

actionjackson posted:

yeah no doubt

but what if your salesperson's name was also KYOON GRIFFEY JR? i feel there might be an emotional connection

that guys shady don't buy from him

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

:zoid::zoid::zoid::zoid::zoid:

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm pissed I sold my Audi and now I'm selling my VW and I won't be able to post in this cool thread anymore. The MB thread gets like 2 posts a month it seems like, lame!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can still post here greeb :justpost:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

VelociBacon posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

at some point down this path lies Prius ownership

I waffle back and forth between buying a 4Runner/Land Cruiser and driving it forever and also thinking "yolo" and buying a brand new GT3.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

I waffle back and forth between buying a 4Runner/Land Cruiser and driving it forever and also thinking "yolo" and buying a brand new GT3.
Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't IMO. You can always sell the GT3 without taking too much of a depreciation hit

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

got off on a technicality posted:

You can always sell the GT3 without taking too much of a depreciation hit

Yeah, but from the times I've driven GT cars (on the track):

1. Holy poo poo this thing is awesome on the track.
2. Holy poo poo this is a waste for the road.

And I don't have the time, money, or skill to track a GT car consistently, and to where it would really be beneficial for me. Spec Miata seems pretty cool though!

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 6, 2021

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, but from the times I've driven GT cars (on the track):

1. Holy poo poo this thing is awesome on the track.
2. Holy poo poo this is a waste for the road.
100% true

I'm planning to seek out a 996 GT3 when I get bored and decide to settle down with my "forever" fun car

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Last night I had a dream (nightmare) that I bought another C5 A6 2.7TT, and was loving driving it again until I realized the brakes didn't work.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Whoops wrong thread

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 7, 2021

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So this conversation about greeb's car got me on a wagon hunt.

Any reason not to buy a 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI with 85-ish K miles? Dealer near me asking $11k, which seems a little high but might just be this used car market. Being sold as a used car not CPO. I assume it would at least be more reliable than my old Mk4 GTI, which I admit is a low bar.

Per https://www.vwdiesellookup.com the emissions fixes have been done by VW, and:

"the vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your VW dealership for additional information including the vehicle's in-service date.

In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years or 48,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Oct 25, 2018 and 35,012 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date."

If Carfax can be trusted, the first owner put 35k miles on it over 5 years doing services every 5k, then 2nd owner put 50k miles on it in 2 years after the emissions recall doing services every 10k, so that extended emissions warranty is gone.

Anything specific to look out for on these?

Tyro fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 10, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tyro posted:

Any reason not to buy a 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI with 85-ish K miles? Dealer near me asking $11k, which seems a little high but might just be this used car market. Being sold as a used car not CPO. I assume it would at least be more reliable than my old Mk4 GTI, which I admit is a low bar.

Per https://www.vwdiesellookup.com the emissions fixes have been done by VW, and:

"the vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your VW dealership for additional information including the vehicle's in-service date.

In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years or 48,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Oct 25, 2018 and 35,012 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date."

If Carfax can be trusted, the first owner put 35k miles on it over 5 years doing services every 5k years, then 2nd owner put 50k miles on it in 2 years after the emissions recall doing services every 10k, so that extended emissions warranty is gone.

TDIs are going for a premium, because they tend to get bought as soon as they come on the market because VW really underestimated the popularity of the TDIs, especially with the post dieselgate warranty.

If its the Sportwagen with the DSG, make sure the DSG has been serviced with a filter and fluid, verify they are using the correct engine oil and I cannot stress that enough because that will kill either the engine or destroy the Diesel Particulate Filter system, which is a big cost item of it fails.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 10, 2021

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

TDIs are going for a premium, because they tend to get bought as soon as they come on the market because VW really underestimated the popularity of the TDIs, especially with the post dieselgate warranty.

If its the Sportwagen with the DSG, make sure the DSG has been serviced with a filter and fluid, verify they are using the correct oil and I cannot stress that enough because that will kill either the engine or destroy the Diesel Particulate Filter system, which is a big cost item of it fails.

It is the DSG, that's good to know, thanks.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So I'm a little over a month into A4 ownership after driving Jettas for a decade and the honeymoon hasn't worn off. 2017 seems to have been in a weird little sweet spot as far as "gently caress with-able" tech is concerned after picking up an obdeleven. Managed to get the sim-card slot working and using a Telus sim have Google maps overlay in the built in nav without needing to tether to a phone or use carplay which is nice, also video in motion so the sig other can watch dvd seasons on road trips. Super happy with it and now just talking myself out of throwing a tune on it. Also a clay bar and fresh wax mixed with scuba blue has me in love.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

DoesNotCompute posted:

So I'm a little over a month into A4 ownership after driving Jettas for a decade and the honeymoon hasn't worn off. 2017 seems to have been in a weird little sweet spot as far as "gently caress with-able" tech is concerned after picking up an obdeleven. Managed to get the sim-card slot working and using a Telus sim have Google maps overlay in the built in nav without needing to tether to a phone or use carplay which is nice, also video in motion so the sig other can watch dvd seasons on road trips. Super happy with it and now just talking myself out of throwing a tune on it. Also a clay bar and fresh wax mixed with scuba blue has me in love.

How do you have google maps in there? Does it run Android?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Volguus posted:

How do you have google maps in there? Does it run Android?

The recent Audi MMI displays run google earth maps as the baseline. The next generation MIB 3 just says it's a 'linux based' system but no details. The MIB2 (which is what would be in the OPs car) uses an NVIDIA Tegra with some flavor of RTOS that I can't find specific info on.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

VAG has the best switchgear.
The B9 particularly had the best clicky MMI and volume knobs.

Makes the transition to touchscreens especially sad.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Murgos posted:

The recent Audi MMI displays run google earth maps as the baseline. The next generation MIB 3 just says it's a 'linux based' system but no details. The MIB2 (which is what would be in the OPs car) uses an NVIDIA Tegra with some flavor of RTOS that I can't find specific info on.

This brings up something I've been curious about, is this stuff worth using at all? In my B8 (2014) it has the ability to accept a SIM card and apparently there's some Audi service I can pay for also but neither of them seem particularly useful? The SIM will get me Google Maps in real time but does it do anything else?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I saw some threads about google maps suddenly working without subscription for owners of older Audi.

Otherwise yes, nothing worth paying for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Tyro posted:

If Carfax can be trusted, the first owner put 35k miles on it over 5 years doing services every 5k, then 2nd owner put 50k miles on it in 2 years after the emissions recall doing services every 10k, so that extended emissions warranty is gone.

We bought a 14 TDI Sportwagen, though ours is a manual so I can't speak to the DSG, but someone has already brought up ensuring that it was serviced. Check the fuel filter, as my husband mentioned that's a thing you'll have to pay mind to replacing occasionally due to it being a diesel. The two years we've had it, it's been a great car though.