Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Splicer posted:

Yeah there's probably some german word for it or something but I've never heard any other formal phrase for it in english.

It’s called,”Dr House talks to Dr Wilson and sparks an epiphany.”

I lost two years (not semesters, years) of German before the true video-calling era of the Internet, because I had no one in Mississippi to talk and retain it. As my cognitive function has declined from schizophrenia meds/ect over the last 30 years I miss my German, Spanish, and Latin the most, especially since you can converse and retain languages across the world in real time these days. My Spanish was always fun after three years in high school Spanish from a very Southern teacher. She was a polyglot, and the French students said her Southern-accented French was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maybe 10-15 years ago, there were some great supernatural/sci-fi short-form found-footage mockumentaries with supposedly archival footage from 1900-1980 narrated by a documentarian character presenting testimony from the people who recorded the original footage. I would love to see these again.

I remember there was one about a village in Siberia for Soviet soldiers with malfunctioning cyborg parts, like super-strong robot arms or infrared eyes etc, but they were 70s-level Soviet technology, so they were all junky and ran on diesel fuel. There was another about people in the 60s who emerged from the ocean and infiltrated US society, and maybe the most haunting one was about a German guy who was kidnapped and replaced by a man who could rearrange his face to look like an exact duplicate of someone else.

The production values were incredible, and the recreation of different eras of film and audio technology gave it a really nice feel. One of the voiceover actors sounded exactly like Harlan Ellison. Does anyone else remember these?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Maybe 10-15 years ago, there were some great supernatural/sci-fi short-form found-footage mockumentaries with supposedly archival footage from 1900-1980 narrated by a documentarian character presenting testimony from the people who recorded the original footage. I would love to see these again.

I remember there was one about a village in Siberia for Soviet soldiers with malfunctioning cyborg parts, like super-strong robot arms or infrared eyes etc, but they were 70s-level Soviet technology, so they were all junky and ran on diesel fuel. There was another about people in the 60s who emerged from the ocean and infiltrated US society, and maybe the most haunting one was about a German guy who was kidnapped and replaced by a man who could rearrange his face to look like an exact duplicate of someone else.

The production values were incredible, and the recreation of different eras of film and audio technology gave it a really nice feel. One of the voiceover actors sounded exactly like Harlan Ellison. Does anyone else remember these?

Are you perhaps thinking of "Lost Tapes"? Were most of the episodes about werewolves and vampires and bigfoot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4KwB3IATtk

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Are you perhaps thinking of "Lost Tapes"? Were most of the episodes about werewolves and vampires and bigfoot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4KwB3IATtk

It’s not the Lost Tapes, but it’s similar. These were definitely all by the same director, and there were fewer than ten in total.

I do have fond memories of The Lost Tapes, though. And it reminds me of a similar series on netflix about ten years ago with standard horror/scifi plots described in the documentary style of Forensics Files. It was silly but fun. There was one about a house that ate people and one about a scientist sent back to the Triassic by a malfunctioning time machine. Kind of a pre-SCP.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Here's one where I know exactly what the thing in question is, but I've never had any success in tracking it down...

My school's computer lab in the late 90s was stocked with RiscPCs, and they all had a selection of edutainment games that ran off the HDD. Over the past decade I've occasionally gone down a hole seeing if I could find copies of these games online, but it seems like there isn't any real effort to preserve RiscOS games in the same way that there is for, like, BBC Micro or microcomputer platforms in general.

The furthest I've ever managed to get is identifying that the games in question were put out by a (defunct?) outfit called Sherston Software, per the list here. The specific ones I remember are Space City, Aztecs, Around the World in 80 Days, Time Detectives, and Arcventure 3. On top of there being zero indication that any of them have ever been dumped, I can't find any screenshots or videos of any of them, or even any substantial discussion at all. I've turned up some forum threads featuring old brit computer nerds including them in lists of available software but that's it.

Very distant chances of anyone on here being able to solve this one but figured I'd share.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Pretty good posted:

Here's one where I know exactly what the thing in question is, but I've never had any success in tracking it down...

My school's computer lab in the late 90s was stocked with RiscPCs, and they all had a selection of edutainment games that ran off the HDD. Over the past decade I've occasionally gone down a hole seeing if I could find copies of these games online, but it seems like there isn't any real effort to preserve RiscOS games in the same way that there is for, like, BBC Micro or microcomputer platforms in general.

The furthest I've ever managed to get is identifying that the games in question were put out by a (defunct?) outfit called Sherston Software, per the list here. The specific ones I remember are Space City, Aztecs, Around the World in 80 Days, Time Detectives, and Arcventure 3. On top of there being zero indication that any of them have ever been dumped, I can't find any screenshots or videos of any of them, or even any substantial discussion at all. I've turned up some forum threads featuring old brit computer nerds including them in lists of available software but that's it.

Very distant chances of anyone on here being able to solve this one but figured I'd share.

I hate to tell you this but RiscPC people are really really weird about pirating software, even to this day. You will either have to join some users groups and ingratiate yourself with them to get some, or hope someone puts them on archive.org

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI4pfjTCs3o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjDaaY9ceN0

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Man what the hell, is it a cachet thing like people hoarding NES protos or do they just have strong feelings about rejecting the concept of abandonware?

If begging acorn grognards for handouts is my only option then so be it I guess, ugh. Signing up on one of those forums and asking for help is something that's crossed my mind a couple times but I always stopped short because I didn't want to believe that this stuff wasn't out there on the clear web somewhere.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Pretty good posted:

Well, as far as screenshots are concerned, it was a pretty easy googling at least for Time Detectives and Arc Venture 3

A cursory look at this stuff seems to indicate that back in the day, the copy protection used for a lot of these games was ridiculously effective at the time, so it could be that the reason it's not easy to find them now is that they didn't get pirated like everything else back then, and pirating them now requires someone who has a legit copy of a rare item to dump it for everyone else.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The Time Detectives screenshot is definitely from some later, post-RiscOS port; the one I played had way more of a 16-bit chunky pixels vibe. That Arcventure title graphic does look like it might be from the version I remember, but it's the dig site + isometric free-roaming city views that I'd really love to see again.

Running a search for "RPCemu games" (don't know why it never previously occurred to me to try that) led me to a forum thread posted by someone with basically the same fixation as me, and it looks like they had some success sourcing and cracking both Time Detectives and Aztecs (and they posted a screenshot of the ending of the latter :kiddo:). Also this coda from February this year:

quote:

In the absence of permission from copyright holders to make these available, the original physical media and modified disc images have been provided to the Archimedes Software Preservation Project (JASPP), who will likely be the best custodians of these (and other copyright Archimedes software).
So probably gonna stay hoarded but at least it's organised, systematic, nominally preservationist hoarding?

It's really frustrating to wonder about wtf might have happened to those computers after my school replaced them all with Windows XP machines. Like, 50+ of the things, every single one of them loaded with all of these games, no disks required...

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Okay now that I've actually taken the time to properly read the thread I just linked to instead of just skimming through it to the end: the OP got in touch with the guy who coded the original versions of the Arcventure games, and after he hooked him up with disk images of all four, he successfully stripped out their copyright protection. Now the dev is apparently playing with the idea of relaunching the series (in VR form maybe?), and he's distributing an emulator-optimised collection of those cracked versions (together with all the original manuals + classroom materials + etc!) via his Patreon... which currently only has four supporters :ohdear:

Also there are a bunch of blog posts up, one of which features a couple screenshots of Vikings, the one I played:

I honestly can't describe how weirdly exciting it is to see this

He's written a pretty interesting post about the preservation process and the difficulties he encountered making it happen, and he specifically mentions his surprise at how easily the games tumbled into extreme obscurity considering how many schools bought licenses. Weird poo poo. Also very :kimchi: to see his enthusiasm about keeping his old work alive.

So: Arcventure is straight up out there, and someone has functioning cracked copies of Time Detectives and Aztecs... which just leaves Around the World in 80 Days and Space City. Also whatever else was in Sherston's catalogue but these are the ones that I played so who cares.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdp-YiDhVx8
:supaburn:

edit2: It's me I'm the rubber duck debugger. Arcventure guy's preservation post links to a specialty shop that's still selling new old stock Acorn stuff in 2021... and they have both Around the World in 80 Days and Space City. Kinda pricy and I am absolutely not prepared to get involved in preservation myself but oh my god they're out there! They exist!!!!

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 10, 2021

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Holy poo poo yes this is it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

uvar posted:

Are you sure it was EGM? But unsurprisingly the site is long gone. It moved around a bit, but none of the other links I came across were saved either (e.g. http://www.dragonfire.net/~TheBadGuy/eblana.html at one point). All that remains is a bunch of people reminiscing or complaining that it turned into a big ball of drama (like this one, may need to highlight text on this one)

(From https://archive.org/details/game-players-issue-80-january-1996/page/n29/mode/2up)

Here's one that's still online so you don't go away empty-handed: https://www.angelfire.com/rpg/stars602/
Edit: probably lots more archived through here: http://web.archive.org/web/20000823134301/http://directory.mozilla.org/Games/Video_Games/Genres/RPGs/Final_Fantasy_Series/

Are you conflating some other book with The Langoliers?

Oh poo poo, good memory! Thank you! I was legit subscribed to every game magazine back in 1995 so it makes sense I'd mix up EGM with Game Player's. That's the exact page I remember!

Too bad I'll never get to see the site, but at least it's closure!

Thanks again so much!

Yond Cassius posted:

Images will be broken all over the place, but does any of this look familiar?

Cafe Eblana message board
Cafe Eblana "core"

As far as I can tell, Cafe Eblana's owner gave up in 1998 but left the hosting online through 2001 or so; some of the community migrated over to Livejournal and IRC but their footprints are... scarce.

Wow you found some pretty decent stuff! I actually never visited the site so I wouldn't remember what it looked like. It was a site the 12 year old me was DYING to visit but never got to. I wanted to so bad that I still remember the name of the site 25 years later!

I'm sure it was just a lovely geocities site but I would have liked to have been able to see it at least once in my life.

By 1998 I was in high school and had easy access to the internet so there really is no excuse as to why I didn't visit the site then. Probably because search engines were trash and I no longer had the issue of Game Player's with the URL in it.

Pretty good posted:

Back when I was in high school we were using these terrible Windows 3.1 machines (even though it was like 1998) and I remember for a few weeks we played a hotel management simulator called Parkside Hotel.

I cannot find anything online about the game existing, anywhere. Forget about a screen shot or video. Not even any type of text confirming its existence.

This is why I am so obsessed with digital hoarding. There's just so much stuff that's permanently gone forever.

It doesn't even have to be stuff that's rare or unpopular. A about three years ago I downloaded all the "golden era" episodes of Saturday Night Live (my favorite era personally was the Farley and Norm MacDonald era). I remember it taking me over a month to download them because there was only 1 seeder for each season. It was all VHS rips because they were never released on DVD, and Hulu only has 25 minute versions of the episodes (of a show that was originally 90 minutes!). I guess they're too cheap to pay royalties or music rights or something?

For the hell of it a week ago I decided to see if I could find them again if I wanted to and nope, they're all gone. No more seeders and even fuckin' Usenet doesn't have them. I can find 20 year old episodes of Fear Factor that someone uploaded in 2009 but 1990's SNL episodes aren't there.

I am not even 50% sure that they're white anymore. It's just the impression I have. I have got this vague image in my head of guys wearing those 1920s caps, but I dunno. It was 20 years ago and it probably listened to it 4 or 5 times.

I'm not even positive it was a group anymore. I'm mostly sure because I think they had different people come in and rap different verses but maybe not?

I gotta be able to figure this out. I have the most obscure hip hop collection on the planet. If it was released between 1989 and 2000, I have it.

Can you remember anything about the song at all? A vague lyric? The chorus?

I know you said it wasn't them but from my memory the only rappers I've ever seen that wore those old 1920s Italian grandpa hats were the Lordz of Brooklyn. Their entire gimmick was being the Italian version of House of Pain.

Don't worry, I will figure this out for you.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 10, 2021

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Hirayuki posted:

Oh, wow! I was an earlyish member of Eblana, joining back in '90 or '91. It started on Prodigy. :corsair: My name is mentioned in that horrible long texty site a few times, along with that of another guy I'm still in touch with a little and at least one other goon. I met a couple members in person back when the Internet was a nicer place to be.

[...]

Thanks for the blast from the past!

Thank you for sharing. The vibe certainly was different back then, wasn't it?
Raise a glass to the friends we've kept, and another for the ones we've lost along the way.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Wow you found some pretty decent stuff! I actually never visited the site so I wouldn't remember what it looked like. It was a site the 12 year old me was DYING to visit but never got to. I wanted to so bad that I still remember the name of the site 25 years later!

I'm sure it was just a lovely geocities site but I would have liked to have been able to see it at least once in my life.

Happy to help even with that very small window. :)

Back when I was in high school we were using these terrible Windows 3.1 machines (even though it was like 1998) and I remember for a few weeks we played a hotel management simulator called Parkside Hotel.

I cannot find anything online about the game existing, anywhere. Forget about a screen shot or video. Not even any type of text confirming its existence.

I can. The basic problem is that there's a real Parkside Hotel, and that drowns out just about all other results. We can throw some extra keywords and search conditionals into the problem, though, and find this academic paper that mentions it, very briefly:

Adapting Work Simulations for Schools, University of Pittsburgh. That tells us the publisher (Classroom Inc) and the approximate year of publication (1992-1993). We use that to dig a little more and confirm that it exists:

THE Journal posted:

Simulations Promote Change in Classroom
The mission of Classroom, Inc. is to promote constructive change among students and educators through interactive computer simulations and professional development opportunities. Initiated in 1991, the not-for-profit corporation's programs currently are being used in more than 30 schools and community-based organizations in the Northeast, reaching over 2,500 students. Simulations include The Parkside Hotel, which places students in the role of a hotel manager, and The Starr Medical Center, in which they fill a nurse's sh'es.
(probably "nurse's shoes" - I'm willing to bet this was imported straight from OCR)

The Wall Street Journal posted:

Computer Simulation Brings Workplace to the Schoolroom
At Norman Thomas High School in midtown Manhattan, students gather around six computers in a lab to run the imaginary Parkside Hotel. The hotel layout appears on their screens, and by clicking different rooms they get different crises to handle. Today, guests are complaining about a loud, late party in the penthouse suite occupied by a rock group. One female student persuades her classmates to evict the partyers. But the hotel manager reprimands them; they should have tactfully quieted the band members and kept their business. "Girl, you messed up," says Jesus Ayala, one of the students.

I found a quick mention in the resume of one Dr. Hillary Anne Wilder, who worked on the game and still lists it in her professional CV. It probably formed some basis for her dissertation, which is about motivational factors in computer simulations.

Classroom Inc still exists, though they seem to have moved out of software development and are now principally involved in a "Read to Lead" classroom reading program. If you really want to go full amateur researcher on them it might be worth writing to them (contact information here) and asking if they have any information they can share with you. If you're really lucky they might even have an archived copy they can send you "for research purposes".

e: the change seems to have happened recently; the "Classroom Inc" page mentioned simulations even in January of this year, and there's a Google cache still warm about some of their 'scientific basis'. The game may have been renamed in later versions as 'Riverview Hotel' - I'm not 100% sure what's going on there but it's mentioned as such in early-2000s papers.

Good job remembering the name though!

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 10, 2021

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
crossposted to the identify a movie for me thread

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

This is a movie that must have come out in the late 80s or early 90s, it had that big early Nickleodeon Memphis design school energy. Similar to meet the feebles or coneheads, kind of a manic positive vibe that bordered on some deep horrors.
- It was about a family that lived in some kind of large underground complex, brightly decorated with colors and weird shapes. "You Can't Do That On Television" set design style.
- The movie was released under two names, the US one was "meet the <family name>" or "introducing the <family name>" and the other was something like, "Down in the Void" or "Under the Void." I think it was australian/new zealish, because it won an award for makeup effects down there.
- There's one scene where the wife lures a tentacle out of a hole in the wall, which is sliced off by the sharp door. This tentacle is then cooked and eaten. I am 10% convinced this scene, in gif form, was posted to Imgur recently.
- The characters reference some kind of void or darkness (like in the title) which they are afraid of. I think it's used as some kind of punishment, because later some of the characters are forced to travel into it.

It's deeply weird. An ex, who used to date an intern at Troma films, showed it to me. She, the wikipedia page, and that imgur gif are the only times i've ever seen it referenced at all. I checked a list of Troma films and I didn't recognize any of the titles, which suggests to me that they didn't release it stateside. I think it's better remembered in Australia.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

meet the hollowheads?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
perfect thank you holy shiiiiid

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Real edit: Wasn’t there some sort of Smorky or Smorky-ish video (probably def) called Platform Hero or the equivalent? I remember his “horse” (very Gumby-like) vomiting to fill a canyon so they could cross in one episode and for some reason I found this hilariously funny.

Platform Hero was a recurring Flash Tub segment here on SA in 2005, so that'd be Shmorky indeed. As long as you have a browser that will play Flash, or another way to open swf files (since you can just download them), you'll be set. https://www.somethingawful.com/series/platform-hero/ It's 8 parts, and although many Flash Tubs have been converted to youtube, all I can find is a short "ending" video that may or may not be part of those 8 (since I haven't gotten my own solutions up and running yet to watch them): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=demTJahJCtI

(Now that SA is under new ownership, I am really hoping old front page content isn't weeded out. Does anyone know what the plan is? Even if converting all the Flash content, including easter eggs, to something else would be a daunting task, keeping the original content available would surely not be a bad idea.)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

For the hell of it a week ago I decided to see if I could find them again if I wanted to and nope, they're all gone. No more seeders and even fuckin' Usenet doesn't have them. I can find 20 year old episodes of Fear Factor that someone uploaded in 2009 but 1990's SNL episodes aren't there.

There was a mockumentary I saw around 2006 called Stare Down. It was a silly movie about people competing in a big staring contest tournament. As near as I can tell, this movie doesn't exist anymore. There's a virtually empty imdb page: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851211/ and that's it. There used to be a series of fake websites to support the idea that the contest was real, but they're all gone. No sign of the official website. No trailer, no pictures, no reviews. It doesn't help that the name is fairly generic.

But I can barely find any evidence that this movie existed, let alone the movie itself. It was just a little independent thing, but I'd expect a little more of a footprint left behind.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Yond Cassius posted:

Thank you for sharing. The vibe certainly was different back then, wasn't it?
Raise a glass to the friends we've kept, and another for the ones we've lost along the way.

Happy to help even with that very small window. :)

I can. The basic problem is that there's a real Parkside Hotel, and that drowns out just about all other results. We can throw some extra keywords and search conditionals into the problem, though, and find this academic paper that mentions it, very briefly:

Adapting Work Simulations for Schools, University of Pittsburgh. That tells us the publisher (Classroom Inc) and the approximate year of publication (1992-1993). We use that to dig a little more and confirm that it exists:

(probably "nurse's shoes" - I'm willing to bet this was imported straight from OCR)

I found a quick mention in the resume of one Dr. Hillary Anne Wilder, who worked on the game and still lists it in her professional CV. It probably formed some basis for her dissertation, which is about motivational factors in computer simulations.

Classroom Inc still exists, though they seem to have moved out of software development and are now principally involved in a "Read to Lead" classroom reading program. If you really want to go full amateur researcher on them it might be worth writing to them (contact information here) and asking if they have any information they can share with you. If you're really lucky they might even have an archived copy they can send you "for research purposes".

e: the change seems to have happened recently; the "Classroom Inc" page mentioned simulations even in January of this year, and there's a Google cache still warm about some of their 'scientific basis'. The game may have been renamed in later versions as 'Riverview Hotel' - I'm not 100% sure what's going on there but it's mentioned as such in early-2000s papers.

Good job remembering the name though!

You're amazing!

I just checked and there's no copies on ebay and no one has ever made a youtube video about it before which is blowing my mind!

Dr_Amazing posted:

There was a mockumentary I saw around 2006 called Stare Down. It was a silly movie about people competing in a big staring contest tournament. As near as I can tell, this movie doesn't exist anymore. There's a virtually empty imdb page: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851211/ and that's it. There used to be a series of fake websites to support the idea that the contest was real, but they're all gone. No sign of the official website. No trailer, no pictures, no reviews. It doesn't help that the name is fairly generic.

But I can barely find any evidence that this movie existed, let alone the movie itself. It was just a little independent thing, but I'd expect a little more of a footprint left behind.

I checked usenet for you and it's not there, unfortunately. Do you remember where you saw it? I even checked The Pirate Bay and DailyMotion.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The Identify a Movie thread in CineD gave me an answer for this one, in case anyone was curious. It's a French tv series from the late 80s called Forbidden Files/Documents Interdits by Jean Teddy Philippe.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I gotta be able to figure this out. I have the most obscure hip hop collection on the planet. If it was released between 1989 and 2000, I have it.

Can you remember anything about the song at all? A vague lyric? The chorus?

I know you said it wasn't them but from my memory the only rappers I've ever seen that wore those old 1920s Italian grandpa hats were the Lordz of Brooklyn. Their entire gimmick was being the Italian version of House of Pain.

Don't worry, I will figure this out for you.

Honestly I don't know that anything I'm associating with this album is correct. Maybe I get the Italian thing because they called themselves the XY Mafia (it's not the Three 6 Mafia) or they had a DJ Mario or who the gently caress knows.

The X-Ecutioner's are the closest I've gotten so far to the sound. It's not them because I would immediately recognize the album as soon as I heard it but if you know their sound then that's about as prominent as the scratching is. The turntablist would have been the most famous or well respected member of the group (if indeed it was a group).

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

The X-Ecutioner's are the closest I've gotten so far to the sound.

Thanks for reminding me that Invisible Scratch Pickles existed. https://youtu.be/c162fgwIeE0

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My dad worked for con ed during a historic time and he really treasured this toy bucket truck that he received before retiring https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/conedison-bucket-truck-dg-productions-1964682624

My mom let my 2.5 yr old son play with it and he pretty much smashed it to poo poo and I dunno how to repair plastic toys, only break them. Can't find it nowhere. Looked on EBAY and other internet places, called up some of his old coworkers. Ain't no one got it. Would make a nice Father's Day gift if I could replace it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

You're amazing!

I just checked and there's no copies on ebay and no one has ever made a youtube video about it before which is blowing my mind!

I checked usenet for you and it's not there, unfortunately. Do you remember where you saw it? I even checked The Pirate Bay and DailyMotion.

I think they were selling it on their website likely in DVD form since streaming wasn't really a thing yet.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

kntfkr posted:

My dad worked for con ed during a historic time and he really treasured this toy bucket truck that he received before retiring https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/conedison-bucket-truck-dg-productions-1964682624

My mom let my 2.5 yr old son play with it and he pretty much smashed it to poo poo and I dunno how to repair plastic toys, only break them. Can't find it nowhere. Looked on EBAY and other internet places, called up some of his old coworkers. Ain't no one got it. Would make a nice Father's Day gift if I could replace it.

This place supposedly has it, or something similar:

https://www.apason.com/trucks

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

kntfkr posted:

Not exactly the same truck, but the Electrical Trades Gift Store can probably repro it on a different toy base, especially if you can send them pictures. If your dad was a lineman they can even put his truck number on it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I saw this gif years ago, and thought about it from time to time, and then yesterday I found it buried in my bookmarks:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FantasticSeriousKouprey.mp4

It just made me happy

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Honestly I don't know that anything I'm associating with this album is correct. Maybe I get the Italian thing because they called themselves the XY Mafia (it's not the Three 6 Mafia) or they had a DJ Mario or who the gently caress knows.

The X-Ecutioner's are the closest I've gotten so far to the sound. It's not them because I would immediately recognize the album as soon as I heard it but if you know their sound then that's about as prominent as the scratching is. The turntablist would have been the most famous or well respected member of the group (if indeed it was a group).

The prominence of the turntablist really narrows it down. I was a turntablism nerd for years and not many of them got to shine on actual rap albums or songs, just their own niche instrumental albums like Invisibl Skratch Picklz' 8 million releases as above. The exception would be the occasional crew that would do a DJ showcase/hype song like 3rd Bass had on each album: "DJ Daddy Rich in the Land of 1210" etc. Or you know Fresh Prince "My DJ" and stuff.

Dilated Peoples was pretty scratch heavy production due to having DJ Babu of the World Famous Beat Junkies. People Under The Stairs did at least one Dj Double K (RIP) showcase track called The Double K Show. Rob Swift from the X-Ecutioners/X-Men did a solo album that might've had some rapping on it? Anything ringing a bell?

Early 2000s you've got DJ Format and Abdominal who did a lot of unique tracks where Abs would rap one line of a couplet and Format would scratch a vocal sample to finish the rhyme - Rap Machine is one of those but they did others. I'm on my phone too lazy to link youtubes for all these but might return and do so later just cause it's fun music anyway.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

The prominence of the turntablist really narrows it down. I was a turntablism nerd for years and not many of them got to shine on actual rap albums or songs, just their own niche instrumental albums like Invisibl Skratch Picklz' 8 million releases as above. The exception would be the occasional crew that would do a DJ showcase/hype song like 3rd Bass had on each album: "DJ Daddy Rich in the Land of 1210" etc. Or you know Fresh Prince "My DJ" and stuff.

Dilated Peoples was pretty scratch heavy production due to having DJ Babu of the World Famous Beat Junkies. People Under The Stairs did at least one Dj Double K (RIP) showcase track called The Double K Show. Rob Swift from the X-Ecutioners/X-Men did a solo album that might've had some rapping on it? Anything ringing a bell?

Early 2000s you've got DJ Format and Abdominal who did a lot of unique tracks where Abs would rap one line of a couplet and Format would scratch a vocal sample to finish the rhyme - Rap Machine is one of those but they did others. I'm on my phone too lazy to link youtubes for all these but might return and do so later just cause it's fun music anyway.

All of this stuff is super close. As near as I can tell it's not any of these because either the release dates don't match (it had to have come out prior to 2002 at the very latest) or the album art doesn't match. I would know it for sure within the first 10 seconds of the intro. Literally any of the names you mentioned could have been it but none of their listed albums are it.
Whatever it was it was popular enough that a middle class white kid in Australia that wasn't into hip hop would have a copy of it.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

All of this stuff is super close. As near as I can tell it's not any of these because either the release dates don't match (it had to have come out prior to 2002 at the very latest) or the album art doesn't match. I would know it for sure within the first 10 seconds of the intro. Literally any of the names you mentioned could have been it but none of their listed albums are it.
Whatever it was it was popular enough that a middle class white kid in Australia that wasn't into hip hop would have a copy of it.

Honestly without your other details that sounds like Jurassic 5. They were big enough to make it to Aus. But album cover and the fact you could think of them as maybe italian/white don't match.

And you promise you're not talking about "To the 5 Boroughs" right?! Just based on cover and white rappers...

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Honestly without your other details that sounds like Jurassic 5. They were big enough to make it to Aus. But album cover and the fact you could think of them as maybe italian/white don't match.

And you promise you're not talking about "To the 5 Boroughs" right?! Just based on cover and white rappers...

Definitely not the Beastie Boys. I dunno. At this point I don't know how to describe it anymore. All these groups being listed are like spot on for the sound but they're just not it. Maybe despite it the album being full of scratching, rapping, and samples it's technically acid jazz or some other obscure sub-genre and it's being listed everywhere as that which is why it's not showing up.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Wudz posted:

Third was one of the many music threads here, where people were making acapella covers of video game music. this song came out of that thread and if anyone knows the thread or what game this came from (I think the file name was originally Anachronox but as far as I was able to find there isn't really a song like this in that game?) that would be super cool
e- it just occurred to me this thread would have been 2005 or 2006. yikes.
I... might have found this by connecting some dots? Now, the original melody here is the extremely standard have-been-used-in-a-million-works Entry of the Gladiators (also known under the name Thunder and Blazes, which was a concert band arrangement), which today is of course mostly known for its use as a circus theme. So a Google for 'anachronox circus' led me to Kiss: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child, developed by Third Law Interactive, a company formed by ex-Ion Storm employees after a walkout—Ion Storm being the developer of Anachronox. Now, Psycho Circus came out a year before Anachronox, but the people who walked out from Ion Storm were on the Anachronox and Daikatana (lol) teams, including Will Loconto, who was the audio director for both projects.

...and on the Psycho Circus soundtrack, which the very same Will Loconto was responsible for, is Starbearer Boss - Fortunado Theme. It's not "screamy" like the a capella cover, but given how ubiquitous the Entry of the Gladiators melody is (which is also heard in the intro of the Psycho Circus album), without knowing how accurate to the original the a capella cover is, getting closer than this might be tough.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Definitely not the Beastie Boys. I dunno. At this point I don't know how to describe it anymore. All these groups being listed are like spot on for the sound but they're just not it. Maybe despite it the album being full of scratching, rapping, and samples it's technically acid jazz or some other obscure sub-genre and it's being listed everywhere as that which is why it's not showing up.

Bloodhound Gang? Their 1995 album cover has a lot of blue on it and it was pretty much their only hip-hop album (the later ones were all rock or techno focused).

Edit: this song has a lot of scratching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJMtc46sC2k

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

KennyMan666 posted:

I... might have found this by connecting some dots? Now, the original melody here is the extremely standard have-been-used-in-a-million-works Entry of the Gladiators (also known under the name Thunder and Blazes, which was a concert band arrangement), which today is of course mostly known for its use as a circus theme. So a Google for 'anachronox circus' led me to Kiss: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child, developed by Third Law Interactive, a company formed by ex-Ion Storm employees after a walkout—Ion Storm being the developer of Anachronox. Now, Psycho Circus came out a year before Anachronox, but the people who walked out from Ion Storm were on the Anachronox and Daikatana (lol) teams, including Will Loconto, who was the audio director for both projects.

...and on the Psycho Circus soundtrack, which the very same Will Loconto was responsible for, is Starbearer Boss - Fortunado Theme. It's not "screamy" like the a capella cover, but given how ubiquitous the Entry of the Gladiators melody is (which is also heard in the intro of the Psycho Circus album), without knowing how accurate to the original the a capella cover is, getting closer than this might be tough.

:eyepop: gently caress I've even watched a playthrough of this in the last few years, how did I not make that connection? Unless the original thread somehow says otherwise, I'm going to take this as canon. Thanks, that's cool (and interesting) as hell!

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's not this but I hope this brings you inspiration on your search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNyk9QTEzJU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bloodhound Gang? Their 1995 album cover has a lot of blue on it and it was pretty much their only hip-hop album (the later ones were all rock or techno focused).

Edit: this song has a lot of scratching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJMtc46sC2k

Definitely not that. It's scratch heavy alternative hip-hop with lots of sampling and various people rapping. I'm probably just badly misremember some key aspect. Maybe I have the album art mixed up with some else. I would immediately recognize it if I heard it right from the start. I've listened to a good 50 albums now and the start of hundreds of songs and I've found some great music but not what I'm looking for. I think we'll just have to call this one an unsolved mystery.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Years ago (2010?) someone on SA promoted their album of covers of Star Trek themes. They were all jazzy/lounge inspired IIRC. I ask because when my wife and I watch old reruns of DS9 I always get the jazzy piano version of the intro stuck in my head. Anyone else remember these?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

No it was none of those. I've read over a list of every hip-hop release that came out between 1995 to 2005 and nothing stuck out. Except Dr Octagon but I might just have been remembering Dr Octagon for the first time in years. Maybe they weren't white or maybe just the guy doing to scratching was. The album art was predominantly blue, maybe?

Tossing this longshot into the bucket:
https://youtu.be/V9VYzNUXGDA

(Skip to 2:25)

EP cover:

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Definitely not that. It's scratch heavy alternative hip-hop with lots of sampling and various people rapping. I'm probably just badly misremember some key aspect. Maybe I have the album art mixed up with some else. I would immediately recognize it if I heard it right from the start. I've listened to a good 50 albums now and the start of hundreds of songs and I've found some great music but not what I'm looking for. I think we'll just have to call this one an unsolved mystery.

I don't know the Australian music industry at all but is there a chance the group is from Australia (or New Zealand or even the UK/commonwealth maybe)? There's examples in Canada of hip hop groups that would not be well known outside of the country but pretty popular here (some of Swollen Members early work could maybe actually fit your criteria except they were a little later and the album art doesn't quite work). That would explain both how you got your hands on it and why people who know a whole lot about hip hop don't know the group.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Chicken posted:

I don't know the Australian music industry at all but is there a chance the group is from Australia (or New Zealand or even the UK/commonwealth maybe)? There's examples in Canada of hip hop groups that would not be well known outside of the country but pretty popular here (some of Swollen Members early work could maybe actually fit your criteria except they were a little later and the album art doesn't quite work). That would explain both how you got your hands on it and why people who know a whole lot about hip hop don't know the group.

The thing is as I understand Aussie hip hop (that is as an outsider) is you will never mistake it for non Aussie hip hop due to accents. Maybe there are groups I've never heard that put on verbal America-face though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

There's also the chance that this was a Aus/NZ exclusive EP or release, which might have stuff that didn't make it out until much later - e.g. Garbage did a "special tour edition" of the original release as a double-CD with an EP containing 5 tracks (remixes and alt versions) that AFAIK were only available to the rest of the world on the 2nd disk on some versions of Absolute Garbage, released about 5 years later , which in turn is a different selection of tracks than the Aus/NZ-only greatest hits The Absolute Collection....

Check bands that toured in that time period maybe? Cover art for any Big Day Out or similar compilation albums to see if it rings a bell?