Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah...I vaguely recalled that, and that's about where it was but that seems like such a fuzzy measurement when I am bad at eyeing levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

silvergoose posted:

Made moka pot for the first time in a while and couldn't remember the exact details...how much coffee and then how much water? Ended up with 15g to 150ml and it turned out tasty enough.

Also my 3yo asked, nay, demanded a sip and declared it good, I have Concerns.

I was one of those children, drinking black coffee to my parents’ chagrin in like elementary school

the child will be fine

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

silvergoose posted:

Also my 3yo asked, nay, demanded a sip and declared it good, I have Concerns.

My niece liked coffee from a very young age like that, too, and she's smart, healthy, and bright.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was one of those children, drinking black coffee to my parents’ chagrin in like elementary school

the child will be fine

Or your 3yo might turn into a goon at some point, who knows.

Imagines silvergoose's kid walking up to him and asking why everyone liked Microwave's mom

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

silvergoose posted:

Yeah...I vaguely recalled that, and that's about where it was but that seems like such a fuzzy measurement when I am bad at eyeing levels

I received a 6 "cup" moka pot last week for my birthday and am still having trouble zeroing in on how to use it right, I should try it at the strength you mention.

My notes so far:
-The funnel holds at least 20g of coffee medium ground. I think you might be able to get 22g in it?

-300ml (there's an interior fill line in 2 spots inside) is basically a normal mug of coffee, that plus 18g coffee in the funnel reproduces the 1:17 coffee:water ratio I'm used to, but despite tinkering with grinds have yet to have this come out as good as the CCD.

-It's definitely working better with darker roast, and I think that's expected for this brew method.

-For pseudo-espresso, Hoffman's got a video where he suggests using a 1:10 ratio, pre-boiling the water, finishing the boil at medium heat or lower, and pulling it from the heat as soon as it gurgles/spurts. In practice it seems to spurt when it's pretty much done, so I poured in what I knew to be 200ml of water to the top as a test so I could eyeball when to pull it off the heat. I did this with 20g coffee, and the results were okay but still seem "thin" to me.

-Earlier in this thread there was an argument over whether a moka pot was easy to clean, and I just want to say it is, in fact, fiddly to clean. Would be nice to have a little tab or something on the filter pieces to help pull the funnel or gasket plate out.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 9, 2021

Gunder
May 22, 2003

For those of you who brew with cloth filters, how has your cloth brewing gone? Have you kept up with the cleaning? Have you enjoyed the coffee enough to justify the extra effort involved in keeping the filter in good condition? Do you brew with it every day?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Gunder posted:

For those of you who brew with cloth filters, how has your cloth brewing gone? Have you kept up with the cleaning? Have you enjoyed the coffee enough to justify the extra effort involved in keeping the filter in good condition? Do you brew with it every day?

I haven't used mine in about a month, but I was basically a daily user for the last couple years. I really enjoyed it. I need to order a few more filters...

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Speaking of filters, anyone have a lead on where to get reasonably priced Kalita filters? I ordered a triple-pack a while ago but I'm starting to run low, and it looks like filter prices on Amazon are still pretty inflated

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I stopped using the cloth filter the past month especially with covid stuff getting back to normal. Paper is supreme.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I stopped using the cloth filter the past month especially with covid stuff getting back to normal. Paper is supreme.

Do you prefer paper because of the easier clean-up, or because of the taste? I just ordered a cloth V60 filter.

El Jebus posted:

I haven't used mine in about a month, but I was basically a daily user for the last couple years. I really enjoyed it. I need to order a few more filters...

Do you find a marked difference in the quality of the brew? What brewer/method are you using?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I slightly prefer the taste of the cloth but cleanup pushes me into paper. If done correctly the cloth makes it taste a little sweeter maybe or feel thicker on the tongue. I do like it a lot. When I use cloth I grind coarser than normal, water at 180 degrees, and pour ultra slowly.

I just remembered james hoffman has a video on it. I should probably try his recipe.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 10, 2021

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Gunder posted:

Do you prefer paper because of the easier clean-up, or because of the taste? I just ordered a cloth V60 filter.

Do you find a marked difference in the quality of the brew? What brewer/method are you using?

I notice that the paper filter taste isn't there, but that is about it. I'm using a Hario drip pot.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

so apparently royal sells crown jewels in 1lb bags now? there is some truly wild stuff available from them in the $10/lb range

edit: i guess they started doing it mid-pandemic, cool

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gunder posted:

It's been pretty good so far for me. If my work ever stops being WFH I might go back to paper as I don't think my coworkers would appreciate a filter just hanging out in a container in the shared fridge.

Since it's gotten hotter i've been doing cold brews, so it's sitting in a bag in the freezer now.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I went real hard on cloth filters for a few months and then I was in a hurry one day and used paper and went "oh, yeah..." and never used my cloth again. Cleaning a cloth filter seems like such a minor time sink until you remember how easy it is to just chuck a paper filter in the trash or compost bin.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I always got drawdown too fast on my cloth filters and it was either weak or bitter.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Remy Marathe posted:

I received a 6 "cup" moka pot last week for my birthday and am still having trouble zeroing in on how to use it right, I should try it at the strength you mention.

My notes so far:
-The funnel holds at least 20g of coffee medium ground. I think you might be able to get 22g in it?

-300ml (there's an interior fill line in 2 spots inside) is basically a normal mug of coffee, that plus 18g coffee in the funnel reproduces the 1:17 coffee:water ratio I'm used to, but despite tinkering with grinds have yet to have this come out as good as the CCD.

-It's definitely working better with darker roast, and I think that's expected for this brew method.

-For pseudo-espresso, Hoffman's got a video where he suggests using a 1:10 ratio, pre-boiling the water, finishing the boil at medium heat or lower, and pulling it from the heat as soon as it gurgles/spurts. In practice it seems to spurt when it's pretty much done, so I poured in what I knew to be 200ml of water to the top as a test so I could eyeball when to pull it off the heat. I did this with 20g coffee, and the results were okay but still seem "thin" to me.

-Earlier in this thread there was an argument over whether a moka pot was easy to clean, and I just want to say it is, in fact, fiddly to clean. Would be nice to have a little tab or something on the filter pieces to help pull the funnel or gasket plate out.

Is it an aluminium one? I've found they are quite difficult to clean. I came by a stainless steel one recently and it's nice. I can even put it in the dishwasher.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

i own every Bionicle posted:

I always got drawdown too fast on my cloth filters and it was either weak or bitter.

i have no experience with cloth filters, to be honest, but couldn't this be mitigated to an extent by manipulating the grind?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Anyone played with brewing cacao nibs into tea? I kept getting ads for things like this:

I'm not buying any health claims, but it could be nice to have a hot bitter drink in the evening. Their fancy roasts could be better than just normal cocoa nibs, but I'm going to start simple to see if I even like the idea.

Couple questions:

1. Anyone try a commercial one like the image?
2. Anyone do normal cacao nibs, home-ground?

If not, I can try it myself and report back. I already have some nibs, but not enough to do dozens of experiments.

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks y'all! I will buy a small bag then to see if I like it more than decaf. Don't want to gum my grinder.

Trip report: better than decaf for me, but only just.

Favorite: cold brew, 1:10, 16+ hours. Criobru says don't cold brew, chocolatealchemy says go for it.
Second best: essentially French press, 1:8, 190°F for 4 minutes. Any longer or hotter and it got muddy and loses its aroma.

Worth it as an every-now-and-then novelty.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

BrianBoitano posted:

Trip report: better than decaf for me, but only just.

Favorite: cold brew, 1:10, 16+ hours. Criobru says don't cold brew, chocolatealchemy says go for it.
Second best: essentially French press, 1:8, 190°F for 4 minutes. Any longer or hotter and it got muddy and loses its aroma.

Worth it as an every-now-and-then novelty.

You said you didn't want to gum your grinder -- how did you do it?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

mediaphage posted:

i have no experience with cloth filters, to be honest, but couldn't this be mitigated to an extent by manipulating the grind?

Yeah but I couldn’t seem to find the balance. With paper there is a range where it’s good. I can get to a point where it’s good, and not watery or sour, then go finer and finer and it gets better, until it starts to get bitter and astringent then back off a bit. With cloth it was always a little watery and sour, with very quick draw down, even when I ground fine enough to make it start to get bitter and astringent. The texture is nice though.

Might be able to make it work by playing with it more, or buying one of the real fabric brewer setups instead of just throwing the cloth filter into the V60.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Lord Stimperor posted:

You said you didn't want to gum your grinder -- how did you do it?

Just bought the Crio-bru thing from Amazon. Seems to be a medium-fine grind, pretty expensive per cup so I wouldn't want to replace all my coffee, just when I feel like decaf, which is rare.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I want to fill a 0.7 liter thermos with great coffee. I got an aeropress and am doing the concentrate plus water method per the instructions.

I'm curious about french press but leaning in the v60 direction. It seems like the 03 size is best for the volume I want? (six 120 ml cups)

Is there a recent goon consensus on the best value temp controlled electric kettle, grinder, and scale? I'm looking at Baratza Encore and Oxo electric gooseneck kettle and I'm just lost on the scale.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

crimedog posted:

I want to fill a 0.7 liter thermos with great coffee. I got an aeropress and am doing the concentrate plus water method per the instructions.

I'm curious about french press but leaning in the v60 direction. It seems like the 03 size is best for the volume I want? (six 120 ml cups)

Is there a recent goon consensus on the best value temp controlled electric kettle, grinder, and scale? I'm looking at Baratza Encore and Oxo electric gooseneck kettle and I'm just lost on the scale.

The only thing you really need for a scale for that quantity of coffee will be one that doesn't turn off on you. I'd also grab a small gram scale to weigh out your beans too. Anything that does 0.7-1kg precisely won't be doing 60g as accurately without spending a lot of money on that scale.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I use a gram scale from a grocery store for pouring my water, and a smaller Drug Dealer scale from Amazon that measures to 0.1g for beans. You can get special coffee scales with timers (ex. Hario has one) but they tend to be expensive and I've never heard anything that good about them, or that you couldn't do with your phone.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Tippecanoe posted:

I use a gram scale from a grocery store for pouring my water, and a smaller Drug Dealer scale from Amazon that measures to 0.1g for beans. You can get special coffee scales with timers (ex. Hario has one) but they tend to be expensive and I've never heard anything that good about them, or that you couldn't do with your phone.

https://www.amazon.com/Weightman-Espresso-Stainless-Weighting-Batteries/dp/B08CDRBJD6 has 0.1g precision, a timer, a lighted display, and fits in between the legs of my Robot :cool:

all for 16 USD (or 20 CAD) :ssh:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Cloth filter report: Works nicely. Since I intend to brew with it every day in my pour-overs, I'm storing it in a mug of water in the fridge between brews, and the cleanup isn't really so bad after you get used to it.

It drains much faster than a normal V60, but it still tasted pretty good. Definitely more mouth-coating, thanks to the increased amount of oil in the cup. I think I might actually decrease the dose a little, seeing as so much more oil is getting through compared to my usual Cafec paper filters.

I got the V60 filter from https://www.theclothfilter.co.uk/.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The cloth filter I bought off amazon drains much more slowly than paper. Had to boil it for 15 minutes too just to get it to drain within my lifetime.

Ember week later report, it's great though there are a couple downsides: the charging coaster can be a bit finicky and sometimes I'm left without battery because for some reason it didn't charge, and the last few sips of coffee can be quite hot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why didn't y'all buy the Hario cloth?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mu Zeta posted:

Why didn't y'all buy the Hario cloth?

Lol yes, you also get 3 of them in a pack.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I bought local. :britain:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
What do you guys expect to pay, per pound, for fresh, locally roasted coffee?
I'm paying almost $20/lb and go through it in about a week. I'm pretty OK with that, and the coffee is excellent, but just trying to figure out if it's on the expensive side, or that's the norm/acceptable.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

betterinsodapop posted:

I'm paying almost $20/lb and go through it in about a week. I'm pretty OK with that, and the coffee is excellent, but just trying to figure out if it's on the expensive side, or that's the norm/acceptable.

My local roaster is $18-$22 per bag, but bags are 12oz. The only 1lb bags I see are grocery store brands.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

It's less than I'm spending. Sounds fine.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
15-18 bucks per 12 oz, so ~20/lb sounds close to me.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

betterinsodapop posted:

I end up paying a little under $20 for 12 oz (0.75 lbs) of coffee at my local place. My local place is a family run shop and they import mostly from Africa so I don't mind paying a premium. I think that might be high on average though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Blends are definitely on the lower end, and single origin light roasts are on the end towards $20/pound. I have paid double that for more rare stuff and would again. Sometimes it’s worth it, but not every week.

I’d love to only go through 1 bag a week, but we do about 2. Still saving on not buying coffee at the shops during a workday which makes overall coffee budget better than it’ll be again next year.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Democratic Pirate posted:

My local roaster is $18-$22 per bag, but bags are 12oz. The only 1lb bags I see are grocery store brands.

A green pound reduces down to about 13oz for me, so. If you're in a position to roast your own, you get green for anywhere from 5$ up per lb.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've a coffee that I like that tastes a lot better ground a bit coarser than fine. My problem is that I've a lot more inconsistent drip times with the coarse ground coffee, it sometimes seems to run right through. Is there a good way to I guess settle the coarser ground coffee consistently? I'm doing pourover, grind right before brewing, wet the coffee for 30 seconds, then pouring over, trying to hit the sides so as not to disrupt the coffee too much with a huge stream of water. Any tips?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Carillon posted:

I've a coffee that I like that tastes a lot better ground a bit coarser than fine. My problem is that I've a lot more inconsistent drip times with the coarse ground coffee, it sometimes seems to run right through. Is there a good way to I guess settle the coarser ground coffee consistently? I'm doing pourover, grind right before brewing, wet the coffee for 30 seconds, then pouring over, trying to hit the sides so as not to disrupt the coffee too much with a huge stream of water. Any tips?

if the issue is that the finer grind ends up tasting worse because it's overextracted, you could always try reducing the temp of the water or backing off on the volume of the pour a little to reduce overall extraction, rather than switching to coarser grinds to reduce the extraction

could also be your method resulting in bypass and unevenly extracted grounds, since i don't think basically any popular method suggests purposefully pouring down the sides the whole time? i mean i'm not knocking it if you're happy with the results, i've def never tried that

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If you mean pouring on the paper that's generally considered a no-no, but I have seen some recipes recommend starting your pour from the middle, spiraling out, and then staying on the edges of the coffee bed once you reach it.

Your best bet is probably to pour in a spiral and then give your v60 or whatever a "spin," giving it a little circular shake will level out your coffee bed. The downside to this is it tends to force your fines to the bottom of the coffee bed and if you have an inconsistent grinder or finicky beans it can clog it up completely.