Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Also oh man, I'm finally watching the back half of Woolie on Sekiro, watching him get mud holes stomped in him back to back to back against enemies he should be having no trouble with if HE'D JUST PARRY, JUST PARRY, YOU 'ROYAL GUARD' rear end, NO WHY ARE YOU DOING MORTAL BLADE IN A BIG ENEMY'S FACE AHHHHH, that and him jumping so much in general and eating poo poo for it, but then only ever not jumping when an enemy does their "Jump and kick me in the face" move is crazy. Also Minh giving him so much nonsense information at times lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Yardbomb posted:

Also oh man, I'm finally watching the back half of Woolie on Sekiro, watching him get mud holes stomped in him back to back to back against enemies he should be having no trouble with if HE'D JUST PARRY, JUST PARRY, YOU 'ROYAL GUARD' rear end, NO WHY ARE YOU DOING MORTAL BLADE IN A BIG ENEMY'S FACE AHHHHH, that and him jumping so much in general and eating poo poo for it, but then only ever not jumping when an enemy does their "Jump and kick me in the face" move is crazy. Also Minh giving him so much nonsense information at times lol.

I think he'd have an easier time with games in general if he didn't space out recording sessions, it took him 2 years to get through sekiro. Disco elysium is the perfect game for woolie because theres no active gameplay mechanics for him to confuse and the reading and deliberating fits his style

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also Sekiro isn't a fun game, unlike Nioh 2 which Woolie should super play

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sekiro whips rear end, Woolie was just being stupid as hell and refusing to interface with it at all basically.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Dabir posted:

What *kind* of libertarianism?

The Ultraliberal kind.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What *kind* of liberal?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The "momala harris oogoo gaga milkers" kind of lib

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dabir posted:

What *kind* of liberal?
The Ferengi kind

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Sekiro is incredible and completely shits all over Nioh 2 in terms of gameplay.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Depths posted:

I think he'd have an easier time with games in general if he didn't space out recording sessions, it took him 2 years to get through sekiro. Disco elysium is the perfect game for woolie because theres no active gameplay mechanics for him to confuse and the reading and deliberating fits his style

Sekiro didn't come out two ye

oh no...

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

Sekiro didn't come out two ye

oh no...

Although I share this sentiment, I don't think anything has effortlessly hosed up a generation more than that This was final fantasy 20 years ago meme from a few months ago lol

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

beep by grandpa posted:

Although I share this sentiment, I don't think anything has effortlessly hosed up a generation more than that This was final fantasy 20 years ago meme from a few months ago lol

I can take slight solace in that when i think of "FF from when you were a kid" I at least think of 8/9. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

It sucks that Pat stopped Disco right before the Tribunal. It won't happen, but it would be great if Kim gets shot and Pat has to take Cuno to the final island.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Dabir posted:

What *kind* of liberal?

The kind that appreciates the hustle and flow of the free market.

The kind that appreciates monk straps and deregulates his communist level when it gets too high.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

no one hustle's and grind's more than the detective...

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Has anyone clipped this?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

RevolverDivider posted:

Sekiro is incredible and completely shits all over Nioh 2 in terms of gameplay.

I actually like Nioh 2 more, Sekiro's real good too, but it was just some kind of agony watching Woolie stoop to full DSP mode in it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Has Woolie LP'd a single game that he hasn't sucked at, failed to understand and/or taken an agonisingly long time to finish? I checked out ages ago but it sounds like nothing's changed, except maybe that he's also now being passive-aggressive with chat on top of everything else.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Has Woolie LP'd a single game that he hasn't sucked at, failed to understand and/or taken an agonisingly long time to finish? I checked out ages ago but it sounds like nothing's changed, except maybe that he's also now being passive-aggressive with chat on top of everything else.

I liked his Paper Mario TTYD more than he seemed to enjoy playing it at the end.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
My eternal problem with watching Woolie is his need to stop all forward motion and pause to talk for upwards of 5 minutes (or longer!) at times instead of at least still doing something to progress gameplay. Disco is the rare case where it works for that so I've been enjoying it, but I'll forever look back at 13 Sentinels as the shining example of what I dislike about his LP style in pure concentrated form. And it really is just his LPs, I still love the podcast and listen to every one of them but just man that aspect of his LPs drives me nuts.

Half the time I feel like I'm watching the LP channel more for Reggie than him at this point, especially live cause his reactions are amazing. I think Woolie said it once in a podcast but Reggie just has that face that advertisers want in the background reacting to stuff and it rings so true when you see it live. :allears:

Overlord K fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 8, 2021

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

It sucks that Pat stopped Disco right before the Tribunal. It won't happen, but it would be great if Kim gets shot and Pat has to take Cuno to the final island.

I'm fairly certain he said he's gonna continue Disco since he'll beat it in 1-2 more sessions max

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Overlord K posted:

My eternal problem with watching Woolie is his need to stop all forward motion and pause to talk for upwards of 5 minutes (or longer!) at times instead of at least still doing something to progress gameplay.

Then there's the hilarious inverse with Pat where he blasted through games so quickly he would run past entire arsenals in RE or the Chloranthy Ring in DS3.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

RE:8's release has really highlighted that I've not discovered anyone who fills the same viewing niche for me that the old best friends channel did.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm not hugely interested in long single-vid streams or chat interaction, just love some good banter over gameplay tbh.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It Takes Two lp is pretty great and doesn't seem to have those problems.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Started listening to old podcast episodes at work today. I think I need to watch some of the Liam LPs that you guys linked to get a better opinion of him because man he is frustrating to listen to in a lot of these. The logic jumps he makes to not criticize Peter Molyneux or Might No. 9 are insane.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He was a hippie 20 year old that wants to contrarian gotcha you, that's about it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Pennsylvanian posted:

Started listening to old podcast episodes at work today. I think I need to watch some of the Liam LPs that you guys linked to get a better opinion of him because man he is frustrating to listen to in a lot of these. The logic jumps he makes to not criticize Peter Molyneux or Might No. 9 are insane.

Check out the Pat/Liam Barkley LP, it's one of the best on the channel.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tae posted:

He was a hippie 20 year old that wants to contrarian gotcha you, that's about it

"hippie"? what are you, 40?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blockhouse posted:

"hippie"? what are you, 40?
Probably? A lot of people on this site are in their mid 30s and 40s now, friend

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm in my mid 30s and made my account on here when I was 17 and I, like many others on here was for sure a Liam at one point :kiddo:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

goons are still needlessly contrarian to this day

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

no we're not

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yes we are

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
But are we though?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

RE:8's release has really highlighted that I've not discovered anyone who fills the same viewing niche for me that the old best friends channel did.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm not hugely interested in long single-vid streams or chat interaction, just love some good banter over gameplay tbh.

Yeah, it sucks. I got into SBFP because they felt like the natural extension of something like Men Drinkin' Coffee or The Freelance Astronauts. The only people I've seen come close to SBFP are the Oneyplays guys. They only ever play games that they can play well, but they can often just not talk about the game for stretches of time and while they're putting more effort into not being problematic, they can still make me cringe. They're still probably the only LP guys that can make me laugh with any regularity, though.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dumb opinion alert but I thought Oneyplays would be up my alley but find myself getting turned off quickly at just how negative they are towards all the games they play, which gets old & is annoying to me :shobon: I guess I'm drawn towards that mix of passion that SBFP would provide for me

However, all their compilations on youtube involving Zach are 100% gold. Maybe I just need to skip everything w/o Zach in it

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Dumb opinion alert but I thought Oneyplays would be up my alley but find myself getting turned off quickly at just how negative they are towards all the games they play, which gets old & is annoying to me :shobon: I guess I'm drawn towards that mix of passion that SBFP would provide for me

However, all their compilations on youtube involving Zach are 100% gold. Maybe I just need to skip everything w/o Zach in it

Agreed on both accounts. I was pulled into SBFP by the fact that they were like the only channel from the Youtube LP Explosion that actually seemed like they enjoyed video games. And yeah, Zach is super funny. I hope he does more stuff with Adult Swim.

One video that sticks out in my mind is when they were playing flash games and they slowly realize that Tomar voices the character in some Battle Nun game.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
a big ingredient in what made SBFP good was their enthusiasm and engagement with the games. i gave oneyplays a shot since at least they have the energy; i found them not very funny but more than anything what bothered me is, like, they barely seemed to acknowledge a game was being played and then only for one of them to be like "dude... what the gently caress are you playing? what the gently caress is ... this...?" it felt like they were forcing a lot of humor just to stop themselves from being bored, never mind the audience.