Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I will admit it.

In that case I will suggest Erannorth reborn, loads of races and classes and game modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jedit posted:

Regarding Arcanium difficulty levels: the devs are aware that it's probably too easy, but they want to get all the cards feeling good and it's easier to adjust up than down. Also when you're still balancing and bug hunting it's a good idea if your players can get to all the content fairly easily, including the highest difficulty levels.

I like the look of this game but based on what I've seen streamed it does appear to be a bit on the easy side, so it's good to hear that the dev team agrees with that assessment. Aside from there being less tension in a game which is tuned to be too easy, it also makes the fights boring if you don't need to adapt your strategy towards which enemy types you're facing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ah Map posted:

In that case I will suggest Erannorth reborn, loads of races and classes and game modes.

Oh hey I been interested in this but outside of the steam reviews I barely see anyone talk about it. How does it play?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh hey I been interested in this but outside of the steam reviews I barely see anyone talk about it. How does it play?

It's a clusterfuck and janky as hell.

If you can put up with single developer U.I. syndrome and it being a very unusual type of card battler then it might be worth it, but you'll know very quickly if you can put up with the obstacles that it presents.

It looks like he's taking knowledge and experience from Erannoth to develop a Shandalar style game with the same system: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1580800/Erannorth_Chronicles/?curator_clanid=35902125

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 10, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Turin Turambar posted:

Come on, there are always that are better and games that are worse at it.

I mean, you're basically asking us to iterate all the great titles, so I'm not gonna complain. They are mostly all in the OP, however.

Free:
DoomRL is a modern classic and everyone needs to play it
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is vanilla but excellent.
ADOM/TOME/Nethack/Angband are the old big names with variable tile support.

Paid:
Cogmind is my eternal shill, I love it. LEGO robots blowing parts off each other to attach to themselves, in an incredible antfarm of death simulator.
Caves of Qud is what 70's sci fi authors did acid to write about, post-apoc bizzaro open world.
Sproggiwood's cutesy graphics hide its murderous intent.
I bounced off of Dredmor, Dungeonmans, and Tangledeep, but others will vouch for them.

There's a lot more, but they're either ASCII-based (eg Brogue) or genre-blending stuff like Crypt of the Necromancer.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

you go from node to node fighting and gaining cards with various random events, there is a lot of confusing systems in play but I just jumped in and picked it up as I went along, not sure in what sense it is a clusterfuck but I guess it doesn't really operate much like other card games, I like that about it

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1606340/Conquest_of_Elysium_5/

Conquest of Elysium 5 was announced today. Rejoice!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bought Arcanium. First impressions: love the art style, love the UI design, love the basic game flow and the Rosemary's Choice style deck building. Got my rear end handed to me by a super elite spider, RIP animal heroes.

But since the game is in early access it doesn't have any kind of tutorial so any tips I should absolutely know?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Hell yeah

those graphics :allears:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

After a few more days with Rift Wizard, a couple thoughts:

I wouldn't be surprised if the dev was a big DCSS fan. I mentioned it in an earlier post but the whole game is strongly reminiscent of Ziggurat diving, right down to floors being extra challenging specifically because of various monster types interacting with each other and reinforcing each other (particularly on later realms where mages start showing up).

There is, weirdly enough, not much of a sense of discovery. The game is very classic arcadey, both in presentation and gameplay. RW explores an entirely different vector of roguelikes than games like Caves of Qud or Cogmind do. I don't know how to characterize this -- it's much more of a "game" where you play around with all its possible permutations, than an "experience" where you travel through a strange world. There are a fuckton of spells, upgrades, and skills, but you can see them all right from the start (well, you can't see what the upgrades *do* until you buy the spells), so any discovery comes from actively engaging with the game and seeing how your choice in spells interact with each other, the maps, and the enemies, rather than the discovery type of "oh wow, this new spell I've never seen before! neat!"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Serephina posted:

I mean, you're basically asking us to iterate all the great titles, so I'm not gonna complain. They are mostly all in the OP, however.

Free:
DoomRL is a modern classic and everyone needs to play it
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is vanilla but excellent.
ADOM/TOME/Nethack/Angband are the old big names with variable tile support.

Paid:
Cogmind is my eternal shill, I love it. LEGO robots blowing parts off each other to attach to themselves, in an incredible antfarm of death simulator.
Caves of Qud is what 70's sci fi authors did acid to write about, post-apoc bizzaro open world.
Sproggiwood's cutesy graphics hide its murderous intent.
I bounced off of Dredmor, Dungeonmans, and Tangledeep, but others will vouch for them.

There's a lot more, but they're either ASCII-based (eg Brogue) or genre-blending stuff like Crypt of the Necromancer.

Nethack has some nice modernized variants with autoexplore and search functions now.
Edit: Nethack 4 and the variants based on it like FIQ hack (which is excellent) and easy to reach the dev to ask questions. At least on this server. https://www.hardfought.org/

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 10, 2021

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Turin Turambar posted:

One of the things I liked from games like Dungeons of Dredmor is the sheer variety of skills [trees], 51 of them, which you can mix and match.
In strategy games, I loved how in Dominions series has over 80 different nations.
In roguelite games, I like how each of the 100 weapons in Dead Cells feel different, on how you can build different combos in Hades with the boons.

So, what other roguelikes* would you recommend which is very replayable thanks to different options the player have?
TOME, what else?

*: non-ASCII

Tangledeep.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I really do want to emphasize how much an improvement nethack enjoys from a modern ui because otherwise dear god it's bad.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gyshall posted:

Anyone playing Trials of Fire? It's really scratching a nice itch on my brain but I'm wondering what kind of tips you goons might have
I'm only a hard level player still working up to Cataclysm but I'll give it a try:

I like to redraw early on to get a favorable hand, especially turn 1.

Almost no downside to holding onto 1 card each hand so you have more options for redraw or discarding for willpower. Towards the end of a fight though I might full discard just to keep armor up.

Event outcomes between runs are often the same, so explore all the options when learning and try to memorize the ones you like and dislike. I find this to be a very strong criticism of the game personally, it is very content light in the events and overworld structure.

1 injury per character is healed at each boss of the main quest, so don't be too afraid of them. You're stuck with weaknesses though. Traits seem universally good though since they often involve a free redraw. I find legendaries are almost always worth the risk, they're extremely powerful and snowbally.

Aggro is a bit obtuse but stacking powers on one character seems to work often.

Speaking of aggro - a tank/support/carry dps configuration seems the most reliable, but a lot of characters can fulfill many of these roles depending on what they can equip. I've tanked with Elementalist and Assassin quite fine, although Warrior will always be the best. Spiritbreaker with force field was so good that it got nerfed over the weekend.

Almost never fight the worm lol - good grief that thing is ridiculous unless you're summon cheesing. I've killed it twice and probably have had like 10 runs that I thought were completely nuts still get blown to poo poo by the worm having a favorable hand. I'm just never fighting it again at this point outside of summon runs or maybe a very strong elementalist run

I really like the game but it's probably my hardest deck builder in my library. I pull up Arcanium when I want to relax right now. Sometimes when I am playing Trials by Fire, if I snooze for like 2 minutes I sometimes find myself just completely wrecked due to poor map placement.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 10, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Yep, Tangledeep has classes that you can swap in the middle of a run, learn their skills, then switch out for another class

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I don't know if it's still the case but last time I played this game you could be an octopus wizard with knives for hands

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the dev was a big DCSS fan.

Author's statement, from steam:
Rift Wizard is inspired by classics such as Nethack, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Brogue, and Tales of Maj'Eyal

So yes, definitely. Also, your posts definitely have this game on my radar now. it looks pretty neat

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

beer gas canister posted:

Yep, Tangledeep has classes that you can swap in the middle of a run, learn their skills, then switch out for another class

I know, but I created the Tangledeep thread here in SA so I know that one :P

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tangledeep man just launched the kickstarter for their next game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s not a roguelike but zircon has a Kickstarter up for a new jrpg set in the tangledeep universe. Instant back for me even if I don’t love the genre.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zircon/flowstone-saga-a-charming-jrpg-inspired-16-bit-adventure

e: lol really strix

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

I've played a bit of dominions but never paid any attention to Conquest of Elysium. It's not clear from the description how it plays - "turn based strategy with a touch of roguelike" could mean pretty much anything. What's it play like?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

SavageMessiah posted:

I've played a bit of dominions but never paid any attention to Conquest of Elysium. It's not clear from the description how it plays - "turn based strategy with a touch of roguelike" could mean pretty much anything. What's it play like?

It's a lot like dominions, but for people who don't want to have to find people to play with.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's civilization as a slightly roguelike in the dominions setting. It doesn't make for a good description because it sounds vague, but it literally is that.

Hopefully someone able to string words together (unlike me) will pop along soon.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 10, 2021

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If it counts a roguelike than so does heroes of might and magic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I bought Arcanium. First impressions: love the art style, love the UI design, love the basic game flow and the Rosemary's Choice style deck building. Got my rear end handed to me by a super elite spider, RIP animal heroes.

But since the game is in early access it doesn't have any kind of tutorial so any tips I should absolutely know?

The incoming damage counter doesn't anticipate minion kills or DOTs.

If you take a fight on Step 30, you cannot equip your rewards before the boss fight unless you had an empty slot.

Avoid Oracles until you have at least a rare (blue) card or artifact. Artifact upgrades are usually stronger.

Don't try playing without a tank.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

gently caress yes! Elysium has invented boats!

SavageMessiah posted:

It's like one of those baroquely granular WW2 tabletop tactical wargames, except all of the fiddly blow-by-blow poo poo is automated for you, and it's a fantasy world, and snakes won't stop burning down your house, and hobbits keep stealing your farms to grow weed, and the Pope is fervently attempting to blow up the world.

The majority of the gameplay is strategic - managing resources, moving armies around, weighing risks and capturing nodes while you build up your strength and whittle down the enemy's. Victory is attained when you're the last faction or team standing, and you remove enemy factions by killing all of their generals or capturing all of their strongholds.

It's relatively simple conceptually, but the tremendous differences between factions and the sheer amount of weird poo poo that can happen really make it shine. I've survived being totally overrun by tunneling underground, conquering a cave citadel, and tunneling back aboveground right next to my would-be conqueror's HQ to seize it, then sending a strong secondary force around to reclaim my own while my opponent rushed their army back home.

e: I don't know if I'd compare it to Civilization, though. There's no cultural, economic, or scientific victory. It's a wargame; you win through conquest, hence the name.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Both the Item Dream and, especially/shockingly, the "Tangledeep" Roguelike portions of Flowstone Saga sound excellent and should serve as forward design bridges vs the original Tangledeep.

Plus, this definitely feels like a fresher direction to go since the Puzzle Quest series is effectively cursed and slim to nobody else is Endeavoring on such fronts---full confidence in the project.

More realms and all the other More Better Good for CoE 5(though I still hope for more robust Thugging Out) is just pure deliciousness---bodes extremely well for next Dominions.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

resistentialism posted:

It's a lot like dominions, but for people who don't want to have to find people to play with.

I think Dominions is a better single player game than CoE :P.
I've seen truly atrocious decisions by the AI in CoE, that made me wonder if their movement are not just pure RNG, and CoE has always been in the middle of being a 4x empire and adventure/roguelike that ends up not being good at any.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
tangledeep goon, I know you post here - if this gets console ports, can I get my Kickstarter key on console instead?

e: also you messed up its/it's at least twice that I've seen so far in the kickstarter post :( [once in the blurb about the Harbinger, once in the Job Frogs blurb]

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 10, 2021

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Thanks guys, sounds interesting, wishlisted.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Rift Wizard is really interesting, and I keep jumping back and forth on if I like it or not.

The magic system is really cool, and I love the monster design, but the core gameplay loop is extremely painful to me. You start each level in a (usually extremely tight-spaced) maze with a bunch of monsters and 3-4 monster spawners that you need to destroy in order to progress. The longer you take to destroy everything, the more monsters the spawners pop out--which is pretty dangerous, given that the game is extremely about attrition; all your spells limited uses, and your spells are the only methods you have for interacting with the world/killing monsters.

In practice, this turns into big smooshy meat grinder tunnels, which I find pretty stressful. It feels like you just need to press forward at all costs, and the spawners create so much time pressure that it feels like it strips out a lot of the smaller scale tactical depth. This might just be a personal taste thing, though--I generally have a real bad reaction to this type of dynamic (Gem Wizards Tactics bounced me hard for the same reason)

Snooze Cruise posted:

Erannorth is interesting in how it jumps into one of the big genre zeitgeists going on right now (deckbuilder roguelikes), but goes hard against mainstream design principals (it's incredibly maximalist). I found it really interesting to play just for how it contrasts with similar games like StS; the basic flow is in some ways pretty similar, but the moment to moment gameplay is much, much more fiddly and full of overly complex sub-mechanics. I didn't get super deep into it, but it seemed like it worked fairly well on a strategy level (although not notably better than the simpler deck builders I've played).

It also has some pretty painful art choices. The whole aesthetic is, like. . .dead-eyed made-in-Poser fantasy pin-up models?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OtspIII posted:

Rift Wizard is really interesting, and I keep jumping back and forth on if I like it or not.

The magic system is really cool, and I love the monster design, but the core gameplay loop is extremely painful to me. You start each level in a (usually extremely tight-spaced) maze with a bunch of monsters and 3-4 monster spawners that you need to destroy in order to progress. The longer you take to destroy everything, the more monsters the spawners pop out--which is pretty dangerous, given that the game is extremely about attrition; all your spells limited uses, and your spells are the only methods you have for interacting with the world/killing monsters.

In practice, this turns into big smooshy meat grinder tunnels, which I find pretty stressful. It feels like you just need to press forward at all costs, and the spawners create so much time pressure that it feels like it strips out a lot of the smaller scale tactical depth. This might just be a personal taste thing, though--I generally have a real bad reaction to this type of dynamic (Gem Wizards Tactics bounced me hard for the same reason)

I had a bunch of these learning pains too. What helped was realizing that I needed to maximize mana potion efficiency, which meant MORE SPELLS instead of trying to turbocharge 2-3 spells. Loading up on level 1 (or level 2, if you're at a Circle) spells, leaning towards the spells that are best effective against the enemies of the current and next realm, then trying to figure out how to make these spells synergize enough that I can start exploding everything on screen.

Death Bolt and Wolf just flat out are the best starting spells, IMO -- the other cantrips simply aren't efficient enough whether per-charge or per-turn, to keep up with monster gate spawn rates. I generally dislike summon magic as a principle, but having these meat shields is just really super important early on.

What I think is really neat about it is that because of the enemy design, even though you can theoretically know ahead of time exactly how to build to break the game open, you might come across a realm that you just simply can't handle unless you diversify your build, and generally it's better to diversify before you need to diversify. A Chain Lightning or Death Cleave build could trivially wipe 6 realms in a row, then, oops, you come up to a full Metal Mantis / Chaos Quill realm or a full undead realm. Should've invested in archons when you had the chance at that Holy circle a couple rifts back!

That it's so unforgivingly difficult has actually opened up the game's internal variety quite a bit, I think.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how would I even begin to learn Dominions or CoE

seems....daunting

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

eonwe posted:

how would I even begin to learn Dominions or CoE

seems....daunting

you can join all of us with brain rot over in the thread and ask any questions you have: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842007

and/or join the very official discord of which i forget if it's linked in the thread or not and i can't remember because of aforementioned brain rot

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Conquest of Elysium is honestly really easy to learn. You only have, like, 3 different verbs you can do:
- Move armies
- Recruit units
- Do rituals (which are just menu options with a resource cost)

You get resources automatically just by owning locations. You capture locations and battle enemy armies just by moving your army onto them, and the battles themselves play out automatically; the strategy is just in picking which units go in the army and what spells your mages are allowed to cast. The different factions have a crazy amount of variety but it all comes from the different units and ritual effects.

I really recommend it, it's sort of like a compressed Civilization campaign, but with all the city building and research aspects stripped out to focus on sending your armies out to paint the map your color. Plus digging underground and cracking open the vault used to seal away the insane primordial gods from before the world was born, and dying horribly as a result.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I joined a goon Dominions game once that was intended specifically for noobs who had never played a game before

There weren't enough spots, so a couple were filled by thread regulars

I died almost instantly because one of the experienced guys sent me a PM that said "Hey, you might want to spread out your defenses a bit more, I think you're concentrating too much"

then he swooped in and killed me

Which, you know, fair, deception is part of the game, and I probably would have thought was a lot funnier if I hadn't joined what I thought was 'learning experience for new players' but turned out to be 'experienced players ream you immediately.'

(In fairness, it WAS a learning experience for me, and the lesson I learned was not to play anymore multiplayer Dominions.)

Conquest of Elysium is more my style.

Unrelated: Turin Turambar, that game people are talking about around here, Rift Wizard, has a ton of build options and might be the kind of thing you're looking for. Maybe not, because it's so tight and streamlined it's almost boardgamey, but it's probably worth a look.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
it was years ago at this point but I had a similar experience where the beginner dominions games were part actual new players and part 'played a ton but hasn't won a game with the regulars so considers themselves new' so it was always a bit of a shitshow. plus goons blowing up your PMs/AIM to try to be a diplomatic mastermind. Still pretty fun though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the dev was a big DCSS fan. I mentioned it in an earlier post but the whole game is strongly reminiscent of Ziggurat diving, right down to floors being extra challenging specifically because of various monster types interacting with each other and reinforcing each other (particularly on later realms where mages start showing up).

There is, weirdly enough, not much of a sense of discovery. The game is very classic arcadey, both in presentation and gameplay. RW explores an entirely different vector of roguelikes than games like Caves of Qud or Cogmind do. I don't know how to characterize this -- it's much more of a "game" where you play around with all its possible permutations, than an "experience" where you travel through a strange world. There are a fuckton of spells, upgrades, and skills, but you can see them all right from the start (well, you can't see what the upgrades *do* until you buy the spells), so any discovery comes from actively engaging with the game and seeing how your choice in spells interact with each other, the maps, and the enemies, rather than the discovery type of "oh wow, this new spell I've never seen before! neat!"

This sounds much more like my roguelike bag than Caves of Qud. I've been giving the latter a serious try over the last couple days, and it just hasn't kept my interest at all

(e) Rift Wizards doesn't have a Mac client so I can't try it 'til tomorrow. I sad :arghfist::(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 10, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

it was years ago at this point but I had a similar experience where the beginner dominions games were part actual new players and part 'played a ton but hasn't won a game with the regulars so considers themselves new' so it was always a bit of a shitshow. plus goons blowing up your PMs/AIM to try to be a diplomatic mastermind. Still pretty fun though.

Every time there are 'new player' games organized is the same lol.

What I don't like from Dominions mp is the time investment they are. They will say to you, 'you can do a turn in just 40 minutes if you want'. What they don't say is that, because the pbem structure of the game, the guy that spends 10 hours testing builds and expansions before the game, and 70 minutes in a single turn + extra 90 minutes/turn doing simulation runs (doing a separate game with debug mod to recreate incoming battles to find the perfect formation to counter you) will have a much bigger advantage and will beat you easily. So the biggest obsessive nerd will win, then again Dominions IS a game for obsessive nerds so it makes sense. Like, I'm pretty sure there will be Dominions fans that don't even see the issue in the player who invest more time in the mp game winning, it will be the fault of others to not spend more time on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Turin Turambar posted:

I will admit it.

Can't believe I asked that before saying Tangledeep, Dungeonmans, DRL!

Once you factor in mods Slay the Spire gets into the 20+ different ways to play zone.

Card Quest has extremely distinct classes, that also have stark differences based on what equipment you bring.

Blood Card has balance issues but the alternate classes are interesting variations on gaining energy/playing cards. The vampire does drat near everything backwards. The witch has to semi-exile half their hand to get energy etc. The idea that your deck is your life is an interesting idea, since making a slim deck means you are one unblocked attack away from dying.