Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1391543832769187843

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
A thing of beauty!

https://clips.twitch.tv/ImpossibleAmazingPheasantPMSTwin-MHFt7Wu5j1ou2Vza

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I think CIG should fix those ramps.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I hate this guy.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
More faith and less money. And no game.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WaltherFeng posted:

Someone who's a native English speaker explain this phrase to me:

"If you wanted to take the temperature of the ship's crew"

Because that makes no sense to me

It's old HR-speak for are they hot or cold about the idea?

"It would be optimal to take the associates' temperature before and after the restructuring"

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

lobsterminator posted:

Should probably fix their everything

spectrum posted:

So grenades' have not gotten any love in the last couple of patches.

They have actually been getting worse and worse as they are neglected.

You throw them, they dont blow up,
You throw them, they re-attach to your chest with the red "LIVE" warning,
You throw them, they come back into your hand and blow up,

https://streamable.com/dabmy0

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Björk looking rough these days

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

text editor posted:

What does he get for his slavish devotion this this farce. This guy tweets north of 10 times daily with nothing but exuberant praise and apologism for this tech-demo-at-best. Who has that kind of energy to dump into anything.

His concern for the NPS score is exemplary.

His ability to mislead is also astonishing. But this misleading nature is kind of the point of the whole "game".

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Haven't followed the SC drama in a while. I don't get the strangler references can someone explain?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

someone had to take up clifford's fight, since he is now sadly fully committed to being an anime bunny woman.

and boy howdy this guy is really jumping in with both feet

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
This game is constantly writing cheques its physics engine can’t cash

You would have thought the devs would cottoned onto this by now

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

LostRook posted:

I imagine because if an aircraft catches on fire on a naval carrier, one of the solutions is to push it overboard because of how difficult it is to put out fires involving metals like magnesium. Chris' conception of space is WWII military but star wars so...

But the fire was already out when the space bulldozer started pushing the fighter overboard.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Looks like an ad for their FOIP system.

The character models aren't great but at least they look like something from 2010.

I guess the walls look good?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Amarcarts posted:

Haven't followed the SC drama in a while. I don't get the strangler references can someone explain?

Forbes decided to warn their readers about CIG, revealing the Strangli incident along the way

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020
Has anyone talked about how dumb the offset cannon in the turrent of the space tonk is? It wasn't as noticeable in the pictures, but now that it is in the game it really stands out. Off-setting the gun like that results in an un-equal distribution of forces in the turret when fired. Which is bad. There is a reason every tank in the world (AFAIK), ever, had the gun centerline.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for some epic tonk battle footage, just like when they released the AA missile vehicle and we got tons of cool battles with ships being shot down.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Has anyone talked about how dumb the offset cannon in the turrent of the space tonk is? It wasn't as noticeable in the pictures, but now that it is in the game it really stands out. Off-setting the gun like that results in an un-equal distribution of forces in the turret when fired. Which is bad. There is a reason every tank in the world (AFAIK), ever, had the gun centerline.

Offset is science fiction excitement.

Realism is only important in terms of "our fake vehicles have 4K PBR textures that look like real materials" and that's the extent to where realism dies in Star Citizen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I guess you can see videos of the realism in the last few pages where the tank is falling around like a weightless doorstop and the "fly around" where some random ship acts like a model viewer camera for the new carrier thing and well... it moves exactly like a camera in a model viewer.

Realism is in the dreams of Twitter posters where they tell people they can walk around inside the big ship; but you actually can't. But if lies are reality then it all makes sense?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

Can't wait for some epic tonk battle footage, just like when they released the AA missile vehicle and we got tons of cool battles with ships being shot down.

Since there are no actual enemy vehicles on the ground, or enemy ships flying around in atmospheres, the one thing that all of these vehicles seem good for is loading into the cargo bay or landing pad of the ships that can carry them in order to give them an extra-big turret. Which I'll admit is kind of a cool use of emergent game mechanics, except that none of it is supported by the game as a whole and the whole thing probably takes 1+ hour to set up for a 30 second payoff.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Since there are no actual enemy vehicles on the ground, or enemy ships flying around in atmospheres, the one thing that all of these vehicles seem good for is loading into the cargo bay or landing pad of the ships that can carry them in order to give them an extra-big turret. Which I'll admit is kind of a cool use of emergent game mechanics, except that none of it is supported by the game as a whole and the whole thing probably takes 1+ hour to set up for a 30 second payoff.

And relies on a cooperative enemy to sit there waiting for you to get setup and shoot them, which Citizens are very good at!

It's kind of telling the lack of screenshots of the Nova Tank on Reddit and Spectrum, I think even Citizens are fairly underwhelmed by how lovely it is. It's worse than arcade Battlefield vehicles.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Storage Citizen: Let's put stuff inside it

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Amarcarts posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattpe...sh=107f99135ac9

e: fb

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 10, 2021

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

It's kind of telling the lack of screenshots of the Nova Tank on Reddit and Spectrum, I think even Citizens are fairly underwhelmed by how lovely it is. It's worse than arcade Battlefield vehicles.

Another problem is that Star Citizen's despawn system means that you can't reliably run around a server, get out of your ship, spawn your own vehicle and load it. Any time you leave your ship there's a chance that it will just immediately disappear- and that goes up exponentially if you spawn a second vehicle while nobody is occupying your first one. You pretty much have to run around with two people in order to load vehicles onto ships, and well... most Citizens don't have that kind of social circle.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

happyhippy posted:

You can see their investors statement from their site.
Frontier made $79 million revenue in 2019, but they didnt say from what games specifically (or maybe I missed it when I sped read it).
It's obvious they used the money from Elite to make the 4-5 other games since, and 2 more in the works, so I would guess it isn't a good comparison comparing the two.

One is floundering in a whale gouge death spiral that seems to have no end yet, the other is expanding and diversifying.
Buy an Idris.

Not purely Elite money, though, there are lots of investor money. Because you know, FDev's games actually make profit that they can return.

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety

"At one point, one of the company’s senior graphics engineers was ordered by Roberts to spend months, through several iterations, getting the visual effects of the ship shields just right. In addition, workers have had to spend weeks on end making demos so that Cloud Imperium can keep selling spaceships—and raising more money. "

Yeah this is probably one of the reasons why, better get the visual effects of the shields right rather than work on that new planet, system, astroid.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bingemoose posted:

"At one point, one of the company’s senior graphics engineers was ordered by Roberts to spend months, through several iterations, getting the visual effects of the ship shields just right. In addition, workers have had to spend weeks on end making demos so that Cloud Imperium can keep selling spaceships—and raising more money. "

Yeah this is probably one of the reasons why, better get the visual effects of the shields right rather than work on that new planet, system, astroid.

Fun addendum: since this was 2019, all of that graphic engineer's work on shields was thrown away in the last couple months as they rolled out the new color changing shields based on signed distance field maths.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

The tank has an anti-recoil thruster that perfectly counters the gun's forces. As a matter of fact it is so strong that the tank could hover in place if it wanted.

No, you can't see it, it's invisible but so are all the antigrav thrusters the ships have to stimulate the noclip flight model and I don't see you bitching about those.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Hercules C2 and M2 are the best example of ship design from CIG yet, hear me out. posted:

I've been a backer since 2013 and I regularly follow development. Mind you, I'm no engineer, architect, or military personel, and I'm definitely not a trucker but hear me out.

I feel like I really need to bring to attention or highlight when CIG let's a ship sell itself through its clear and balanced purpose with passion behind its design. The C2 hercules I personally think, hits every mark.

Every person sees a ships beauty and some promised function then dreams about what they want it to be capable of, then usually gets carried away. I like when ships are streamlined in accordance to there function.

It doesn't try to do or be too much. It doesn't bend to the will of selling more ships. It follows the ship design guidelines to the T. Both the C2 and M2 have the proper seating for each flight personel and passenger. It provides clear escape, storage, habitation, and sticks to what is needed.

The turret placement adheres to ship balance per its use case whether you like it or not. There is no captains quarters because it's a personel, armor transport, or goods carrier. You're not the head of a huge multicrew ship. It's built directly for its use case. Head to toe, no useless frills or areas that make absolutely no sense.

1] follows clear use case while still adhering to the rule of cool and is properly balanced for future game play

2] no imagination or questioning if it will fit into legitimately established game play

3] ships current flight model is responsive in atmosphere and fast but still follows a large ships turning radius with heavy load

4] clear labeling, interior space does not obstruct path to cockpit

5] clear escape routes and exit ladder during emergency, clear paths to all components and feels natural to access them, item placement makes sense with escape pods, weapons rack, habitation, and pilot suite

6] perfectly suited to its use case and feels like its built for a real space pilot - nothing over the top

7] attention detail on every nook and cranny in textures, interior lighting is beautiful [minus the small sun]

After thoughts:

Cons: should be center/back heavy but I'm sure that will be fixed when landing _ miniature sun in the back of ship is annoying

I hope I didn't bore everyone with my rant but how many ships have we seen come out that don't really have an interior that makes sense, or maybe it's trying to do too much, or does it's specific focus poorly and doesn't balance well in future proofing.

Example: 600i, Starfarer, Connie ship line, etc. Would be examples of ships that to me, functionally miss the mark and either do too much or try to do too much, and at worst have a large amount of wasted space. CIG has come a long way with newer ship design.

post immediately below it:

https://v.redd.it/it4xw8cbuby61/DASH_1080.mp4

three posts below that:

A masterpiece of form and function

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 10, 2021

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Jorunn isn't even an employee, right?

Just a very cringey super fan?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I'm guessing the full sail grads can't fix the enormous blue square right at the beginning of the explosion because i've seen that several times now in other videos. Meanwhile :crobear: is complaining the bartender needs more jackets.

:smugbert: well actually it's completely normal for a shield grid to collapse into a square plane before dissipating because of complex physics with the Lesnick Drive and Sandium hull plating and the gravity goo.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

hi thread, its been ages

did squadron 42 ever show its face?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

holtemon posted:

Jorunn isn't even an employee, right?

Just a very cringey super fan?

The likely answer is that he is however cig has been known to astroturf and there are absolutely no bounds to their shame

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

oh my god it's just a 5 minute animated sales pitch for the ship :lol::lol::lol:

god drat their lighting sucks so loving bad lmao. Could they not find an evenly lit place to stand these dum-dums for their talking head spot? Also lmao that they had to mocap all this

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Communist Thoughts posted:

:gary:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

hi thread, its been ages

They're working on bed sheets now. Allegedly.

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety

hi thread, its been ages

:laffo:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

cmdrk posted:

I'm guessing the full sail grads can't fix the enormous blue square right at the beginning of the explosion because i've seen that several times now in other videos. Meanwhile :crobear: is complaining the bartender needs more jackets.

They are probably running on medium settings. I get the blocky explosions too on medium settings, but if I use high settings then the game freezes briefly whenever a ship dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

lobsterminator posted:

They should sell access to their code, as I would happily buy to see how hosed up the ramp coord/physics reference frame swapping is from inside ships to outside.

I would assume most games would have a static local coord point to reference everything else against.
SC looks like it has coord scales within coord scales within coord scales, all spinning around in real time and being recalculated constantly.
So out of boundary clipping is a bitch to track down and fix as its the entire structure doing it and not a single thing.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 10, 2021